Skip to content

Beamdog Launcher Unable to Connect

@JuliusBorisov Tried opening the BD launcher just now (07:44 am UK BST) and it was unable to connect to your server. While this is no biggie for me, I can continue in off-line mode, it might be for BD given that you have had rather a lot of server issues recently. Thought I better let you know.

TR

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,729
    We're going to sunset the Beamdog Client soon. Thanks for the heads-up though, not sure what the server problem is. Did you mean connecting in order to download a game, or what?
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,287
    We're going to sunset the Beamdog Client soon.

What are the implications for those of us who purchased direct from Beamdog? Will we be able to get updates? Install when we buy new kit?

• TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    Not to download, no. Just to launch the game. Shame about retiring that launcher soon. I happen to like it. Having the ability to launch both the game and the toolset from one place is just so useful.

With over 400 games on GoG, I find their launcher less than useful. As for steam, I only buy games from them when I have no choice.

TR
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,729
    Proleric wrote: »
    We're going to sunset the Beamdog Client soon.

What are the implications for those of us who purchased direct from Beamdog? Will we be able to get updates? Install when we buy new kit?

We'll be providing Steam keys to Beamdog customers (actually, we've already been doing that).
  • Old_GithOld_Gith Member Posts: 152
    I must have bought at least 4 or 5 copies of EE from BD. @JuliusBorisov , does this mean I'll receive an email including a number of Steam keys equivalent to my number of purchases (assuming, of course, it will be provided via email).
    edited October 2023
    We'll get there when we get there. The current plan is still being worked on. Don't worry, though, it'll be the most customer-friendly approach it could ever be.

Even now, you can request Steam keys for every Beamdog product. NWN-related keys are available in your Beamdog account. IE-related keys can be requested here: https://support.aspyr.com/hc/en-us
  • Phantom_FuguePhantom_Fugue Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2023
    I thought steam could only have one CD key going at a time. What will be done for those of us who already own Steam keys and want to retain both? Many of us use one set of keys to play and one for DMing.

Also, are there any eventual implications for the Master Authenticator or other services for NWN That Beamdog provides? What about https://nwn.beamdog.net/?
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,271
    We're going to sunset the Beamdog Client soon. ...

So any future updates will be Steam/GoG versions only? Without a possibility to have game editions that have SoD DLC merged?

Any chances for:
    - include SiegeOfDragonspear.exe with its unique icon into the Steam version of SiegeOfDragonspear DLC?
    - merge SiegeOfDragonspear DLC into the main game files so the Steam game edition won't require additional tools for modding?

It's a pity but I get it, there's no need for yet another "launcher" app, even if it offers a unique feature like checking for modified
    files before updating. Standalone installers were also fine, small and leet.