Skip to content

Romance system.

Bastion72Bastion72 Member Posts: 60
My opinion is that a new romance system will be a good addition. Something similiar to the dragon age origins romance system. The current romance system is not bad but its too buggy in my opinion. Please make a better romance system for the EE or just fully fix the old one.

Comments

• TauronTauron Member Posts: 22
    there was romance system in BG before the mods?
  • Bastion72Bastion72 Member Posts: 60
    @Tauron I was speaking about BG 2
  • TauronTauron Member Posts: 22
    *thumbs up*
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    edited July 2012
    Its works perfectly fine. It's dragon age system that is wierd, and mass effect's... where you have to decide "do him/her" or "don't do him/her". It's dumbed down. Disagree away, I never got any bugs with that in bg2 it worked flawlessly. I liked dragon age but the romances were basic, 3 options, the 2 above and neutral rubbed in your face.
    Post edited by Razor on
    @Razor Why do you think so? Dragon age romance system will fit perfectly well. I don't hate the old system but I have finished Baldur's gate saga for about 4 times and I can tell ya that it's really,really buggy (Especially the one with Viconia).
    @Winthal Dude,i know that but it did not even start for me (and i m a human male). And when i romanced Jaheira, her romance blocked in act 2. She just started repeating the same line in interval of 20 sec. Tried reloading and downloaded bugfixes but still no effect....
  • MedillenMedillen Member Posts: 632
    I played vanilla BGII without any problem in Aerie & Jaheira romance. @Bastion72 have you installed some mods/patches ? Could you be more specific with the repeated line and maybe the context when it happened ?
    @Medillen I have the latest TOB official patch. I play SOA with TOB installed. In act 2 where my party is in front of the inn Jaheira asks me ''where now fearless leader?''. I answear. After about 20 secs she asks me again. The cycle continues..... (my character here is elf ranger,lawful good)
    I also have problem with Viconia. When i save her i tell her that i m going on a mission to kill Irenicus.She agrees and joins my party. After about 3 days of gametime and 2 quests she doesnt start any dialogues. From what i read she must ask me ''what brings me to this land (or whatever it was)'' just a little after i save her and that the romance can begin. But it doesnt.... (my character here is human fighter,lawful neutral).
    I dont have any active romances when i try to romance viconia (and i kicked Aerie and Jaheira so that i can be sure)
    Also,i dnt use any mods.
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    I think it would be good if among the new characters created in bgee, you could romance one from beginning to end (tob)
  • FillaFillasonFillaFillason Member Posts: 110
    "I prefer Baldur's Gate's version of romances. The new influence/ally and rival/like systems in those games make it feel too numerical. Instead of wondering 'what would I say' I think 'what gets me the most points', which really isn't a good basis for a relationship. It's turned a romance into a numbers game with statistical bonusses (+4 magic power if you do the naughty with Morrigan!), instead of being a part of your character's development."

This I must agree whit. Com on folks, you must see the charm and fun in getting this wondering fealing on what to say, as whit viconia. It shall be alittle hard to romance her!
    @FillaFillason It's more realistic that the dragon age romance yes. But it'll be good if they fix all the bugs.
    You can see in my previous comment what bugs i encountered.
  • RingoRingo Member Posts: 39
    I think it's frustrating not knowing whether Viccy has broken up or not for several hours of gameplay, and it happens. I've never managed to finish it without checking walkthrough or console after each lovetalk.
    @Ringo I hope they fix that in EE
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    I think it would be nice if we could check (be it in the character record or however) to see for sure if the romance is still going, or of we screwed it up and should load.
    edited July 2012
    Not saying that there are no bugs. I just didn't experience them but thing is, isn't that the best part about "romances" that you are not even sure what's going on with the npcs. It shouldNT just be a bar to fill up.

As @Drugar said, getting bonuses for completing romances...
    Seeing charts about the romance progression? I think there is a very distorted idea about this. Romances are/should be extras and only if you get the npc personality. If you dont, well try again, or not. It's not like romances are THE game anyway.
  • Bend3Bend3 Member Posts: 19
    I believe the solution is not to rework the system entirely, but to simply do that which modders have done already and FIX the current system. Removing bugs, and rewriting a little code here or there to keep those errors from happening. Again, not so much an error with the system, so much as the programing.
    @Ringo I could agree to this, though perhapse lowering the threshold from one conversation to the next, or making it so that in game time is used for the trigger as well as actual played time. This would allow you to check simply by saving the game, then resting over and over for however long is the normal wait time for an event, then there you go, answer has been obtained. True roll players wouldn't really do this, but anyone going through a second, third, fourth time on a romance may want to test different reactions, so it would still be viable. Might have to suggest this in a propper forum section =p

Or perhapse an indicator as in the Shadow Keeper where as there are 3 stages you can be in telling you only that you are "Just friends", "Courting", or "Commited" something like that, though preferably better worded then i have done =p. I just wouldn't want an actual numerical system telling me how many points i got towards a relationship.

Also seeing romances start from the first BG would be pretty amazing as well, even if it was just more dialogue like in BG2 with random party members. It would let us get to know more about Kivan, dynaheir, Khalid, and the others that were left behind for whatever reason.
    @Bend3 I doubt we ll be able to start romance with Jaheira in BG 1 coz she loves Khalid very much (until he dies in BG 2).
    @Bastion72 yes, i said that poorly, but as i said "even if it was just more dialogue like in BG2 with random party members. It would let us get to know more about Kivan, dynaheir, Khalid, and the others that were left behind for whatever reason." so i was referring to the banter in general. The romance with Jaheira may not take place if you are a total jerk to her during BG1. Something along those lines.

I'm sure you see my point right?
    @Bend3 yeah
    Just to ramble on a bit more, since I'm currently in the process of courting Aerie, I find that the most entrancing part of the Baldur's gate romance system as it is, it makes you actually work at the relationship while still helping to SOME extent as if it were real. The issue with BG's romance system is the total lack of knowledge of what stage, of the romance you are in, or if you are even still on the romance path.

The problem with the modern romances by comparison is that it tells you EVERYTHING. There is no balance. its just (as many others have said before me) a numerical system where you are just watching a bar move up or down, or numbers rise or fall. It takes the FEELING out of it. The visible change is there, but its too much.
  • AsmodiasAsmodias Member Posts: 22
    Ah, love. The greatest challenge we'll ever face. Sarevok Anchev is like fighting with a naughty child when compared to love.
  • WazDuluthWazDuluth Member Posts: 8
    I yes and no this. I think that it would be sweet to have a bit more interaction with your romance partner like during the quest. More interaction, like in dragon age, certain things would make your partner more into you or less. My memory is that there was some of that in BG2 though. Although I hated DA's shit where I had to have half of my interactions with them in the camp site. Fuck that. I hate camping.
  • FillaFillasonFillaFillason Member Posts: 110
    Bastion72 said:

@Medillen I have the latest TOB official patch. I play SOA with TOB installed. In act 2 where my party is in front of the inn Jaheira asks me ''where now fearless leader?''. I answear. After about 20 secs she asks me again. The cycle continues..... (my character here is elf ranger,lawful good)
    I also have problem with Viconia. When i save her i tell her that i m going on a mission to kill Irenicus.She agrees and joins my party. After about 3 days of gametime and 2 quests she doesnt start any dialogues. From what i read she must ask me ''what brings me to this land (or whatever it was)'' just a little after i save her and that the romance can begin. But it doesnt.... (my character here is human fighter,lawful neutral).
    I dont have any active romances when i try to romance viconia (and i kicked Aerie and Jaheira so that i can be sure)
    Also,i dnt use any mods.

This is important, they must take their time, we can wait, but realse an finished game please :-)
  • NeoDragonNeoDragon Member Posts: 169
    edited July 2012
    I didn't encounter any bugs in the romance system. Maybe it really IS buggy (I'm not denying that) and I was just lucky ...

Apart from that I like it if the romance is a challenge and you have to do special (and not always obvious) things for it to continue. And at least BG2 had that.

Another very important point (at least in my eyes) is the amount of 'Love talks'. In BG2+TOB there were over 60!!! for Aerie. In comparison, KOTOR had just 12 (or so) for Bastila. That's not enough in my opinion. A romance has to build up slowly to be believable/convincing!
  • sozcapssozcaps Member Posts: 16
    Am I the only one who doesn't really care one way or another about video game romances?
    edited July 2012
    sozcaps said:

Am I the only one who doesn't really care one way or another about video game romances?

I think they add a little to the story but I don't like it when we are supposed to choose one(not talking about BG here, I think BG2 does it quite nicelly), when we are almost forced to follow, it's not good for rpgs to become a cheesy dating simulator...
    Post edited by Razor on
  • NeoDragonNeoDragon Member Posts: 169
    Razor said:

I think they add a little to the story but I don't like it when we are supposed to choose one, when we are almost forced to follow

You have exactly that in BG2 (in my opnion). If you don't like it you can midway cancel or even totally prevent a potential romance. You can choose your own way freely, you're not forced to do anything. Like in the real world ...
    Razor said:

it's not good for rpgs to become a cheesy dating simulator...

I get your point. Especially in the film industry there seems to exist some unwritten rule that there has to be at least SOME kind of romance. There are countless examples where this appears extremely misplaced.

The point is: in films you can't avoid it. In the mentioned dating simulators you can't, either. In BG2 (and other Bioware games), you can (see above).

Romances are an important part of the human life and can generate big emotions. That's why many games (and nearly all RPGs) can an do benefit from it. Romance = Emotion = Immersion = Potentially better game

But before this thread goes totally off topic: I like the romance system as it is (aprt from the bugs)