Skip to content

[(BG1) INCONSISTENCY] Master Thread of Portrait Icons Not Showing Up (0813)

AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
edited August 2012 in Fixed
I'm creating this thread so that we can report all items that should display one or more icons on the wearer's portrait, but do not. It would be great if, beside reporting an item that doesn't display the icons it should, you could state whether the icons appeared in vanilla BG1.

I think I don't need to specify that CURRENT BEHAVIOR is "when this item is equipped no icon appears on the wearer's portrait" and EXPECTED BEHAVIOR is "when this item is equipped, all relevant icons are displayed on the wearer's portrait".

I'll keep a list of items in the first post for the devs' ease of use, thus adding all items that I find AND all items reported in this thread by other users.

ITEM LIST:

- Boots of Grounding (BOOT05), should display the "Protection from Electricity" icon. Same behavior in vanilla BG1.
- Boots of the North (BOOT03), should display the "Protection from Cold" icon. Same behavior in vanilla BG1.
- Boots of Speed (BOOT01), should display the "Haste" icon. Same behavior in vanilla BG1.
- Bracers of Binding (BRAC11), should display the "Cursed" icon. Same behavior in vanilla BG1.
- Cloak of Balduran (CLCK05), should display the "Magic Resistance" icon. Same behavior in vanilla BG1.
- Mage Robe of Cold Resistance (CLCK09), should display the "Protection from Cold" icon. Same behavior in vanilla BG1.
- Mage Robe of Fire Resistance (CLCK10), should display the "Protection from Fire" icon. Same behavior in vanilla BG1.
- Helm of Charm Protection (HELM06), should display the "Mind Blank" icon. Same behavior in vanilla BG1.
- Helm of Kiel (HELM14), should display the "Resist Fear" icon. Same behavior in vanilla BG1.
- Helm of Defense (HELM04), should display the "Protection from Cold", "Protection from Fire" and "Protection from Electricity" icons. Same behavior in vanilla BG1.
- Ring of Folly (RING23), should display the "Cursed" icon. Same behavior in vanilla BG1.
Post edited by Bhryaen on
Igneous

Comments

• BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    edited June 2012
    - Ring of Folly (ring23), should display the "cursed" icon. //Came from BG1
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    - Boots of grounding also not working. Should display athe "Protection from electricity" icon. This bug was present in Vanilla BG1
    @AndreaColombo
    And Boots of the North also didn't display any icon in BG1.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    @Tanthalas
    Yeah, I totally wanted to state that and forgot upon posting. It's ironic since I explicitly asked to warn whether the bug came from BG1 LOL
    @AndreaColombo
    Mage Robe of Fire Resistance also not working. Should display the "Protection from fire" icon. This bug was present in Vanilla BG1.
    edited June 2012
    @AndreaColombo
    Mage robe of Cold Resistance also not working. Should display the "Protection from cold" icon. This bug was present in Vanilla BG1.
    @AndreaColombo
    Helmet of Defense also not working. Should display the "Protection from cold", "Protection from Fire" and "Protection from Electricity" icons. This bug was present in Vanilla BG1.
    After so many items not working I was surprised to find out that the Mage Robe of Electrical Resistance actually works.
    AndreaColombo
    ^ Yeah, the implementation of portrait icons was kinda sloppy in the first Baldur's Gate >.<
    The list should now be complete with regards to BG1 items. If anyone spots something else please report it.
    @AndreaColombo

I'm not sure about this, but weren't the Boots of Speed broken in one of the vanilla games? I'm almost certain that the boots were incorrectly giving the Haste status effect in one of the games, when the only thing they're supposed to do is increase your walking speed.

As such they're not supposed to give you a Haste icon because they don't actually haste you (Haste gives you more attacks per round I think).
    @Tanthalas - I seem to remember them displaying the Haste icon in BG2, but my memory may be faulty. I think they should display something to remind you what they're doing, though.
  • IgneousIgneous Member Posts: 368
    @AndreaColombo - The Boots of Speed do give the Haste icon in BG2, but don't actually apply the full Haste effect with the APR bonus. Only movement speed is affected.

I, too, think the the Haste portrait icon would be better than none at all, to give the player a nice bit of visual feedback. It does entail the minor inconsistency on the character sheet, though.
    @Igneous - unless of course the devs threw in an additional portrait icon for the boots of speed *wink* *wink* it may as well look like Haste but display a different string of text, like "sped up" but not as ugly as "sped up" LOL
    @Bhryaen - I believe this should go to "Found in BG1 and BG2" as all missing portrait icons appear to have been missing in vanilla BG1 as well, as per the OP.
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    @AndreaColombo
    Sorry- damn, saw the list and assumed this mess was only a BGEE thing...
    Don't worry, it's no big deal ;-)
    @Bhryaen, @AndreaColombo
    Took the announcement status off this. Or was that on purpose because this is a Master thread?
    @Tanthalas - I have no idea; I've been wondering about that, too.
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    edited July 2012
    @AndreaColombo @Tanthalas
    Yes, I added the Announcement status due to it being a Master Thread that people might want to defer to regularly... If it doesn't help I'll leave it off... I've been planning to do the same to the other Master Threads. heh
    AndreaColombo
    Nah, I think its a good idea.
  • IgneousIgneous Member Posts: 368
    None of the cursed scrolls display any portrait icons, either. Do you guys think they should? I would propose they use the 'Cursed' icon, but their effects can't actually be dispelled with Remove Curse... so it could be a bit misleading. An alternative would be the 'Ability Drain' icon, since that's what most of the cursed scrolls do.
    Bhryaen
    @AndreaColombo

The Boots of Speed now display the Haste icon on the portrait in Build 0709. Probably worth it to CLUAConsole everything and see what else has already been fixed.
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    edited July 2012
    @Tanthalas - I think the haste icon was fixed by importing the bg2 boots. Others probably wont be fixed.
    Ah, that would explain it then.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Cloak of Displacement (CLCK03), should display the "Blur" icon. Same behavior in vanilla BG1
    I loaded up my BG and BG2 games and couldn't find an icon for this in either incarnation. In fact, I'm not seeing a blur icon listed in NI at all--someone with a lot of free time can go hunting through states.bam for it, 'cuz I can't find one. Otherwise:
    OUTER_SET helm04_count = "0"   // hack to account for three icons for helm04

ACTION_FOR_EACH ~file~ IN
    ~boot03~ // boots of the north
    ~boot05~ // boots of grounding
    ~brac11~ // bracers of binding
    ~clck05~ // cloak o' balduran
    ~clck09~ // mage robe of cold resistance
    ~clck10~ // mage robe of fire resistance
    ~helm04~ // helm of defense
    ~helm06~ // helm of charm protection
    ~helm14~ // kiel's helmet
    ~ring23~ // ring of folly
    BEGIN

COPY_EXISTING ~%file%.itm~ ~override~
    SET opcode = "142" // display portrait icon
    SET target = "1" // target self
    SET timing = "2" // instand/while equipped
    SET probability1 = "100" // probability 1
    // rest are zeroes
    SET power = "0"
    SET parameter1 = "0"
    SET resist_dispel = "0"
    SET duration = "0"
    SET probability2 = "0"
    SET dicenumber = "0"
    SET dicesize = "0"
    SET savingthrow = "0"
    SET savebonus = "0"
    PATCH_IF (("%SOURCE_RES%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "boot03" = 0) OR
    ("%SOURCE_RES%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "clck09" = 0) OR
    (("%SOURCE_RES%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "helm04" = 0) AND ("%helm04_count%" = 0))) BEGIN
    SET parameter2 = "25" // pro cold
    END ELSE
    PATCH_IF (("%SOURCE_RES%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "boot05" = 0) OR
    (("%SOURCE_RES%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "helm04" = 0) AND ("%helm04_count%" = 1))) BEGIN
    SET parameter2 = "27" // pro electricity
    END ELSE
    PATCH_IF (("%SOURCE_RES%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "brac11" = 0) OR
    ("%SOURCE_RES%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "ring23" = 0)) BEGIN
    SET parameter2 = "35" // cursed
    END ELSE
    PATCH_IF ("%SOURCE_RES%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "clck05" = 0) BEGIN
    SET parameter2 = "63" // magic resistance
    END ELSE
    PATCH_IF (("%SOURCE_RES%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "clck10" = 0) OR
    (("%SOURCE_RES%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "helm04" = 0) AND ("%helm04_count%" = 2))) BEGIN
    SET parameter2 = "16" // pro fire
    END ELSE
    PATCH_IF ("%SOURCE_RES%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "helm06" = 0) BEGIN
    SET parameter2 = "52" // mind shield
    END ELSE BEGIN // helm14
    SET parameter2 = "37" // resist fear
    END
    LAUNCH_PATCH_MACRO ~ADD_ITEM_EQEFFECT~ // add equipped fx macro
    PATCH_IF ("%SOURCE_RES%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "helm04" = 0) BEGIN
    SET "helm04_count" = ("%helm04_count%" + 1)
    END
    BUT_ONLY

END
    AndreaColombo
    @CamDawg - doesn't the spell "Blur" add a portrait icon to the recipient? If yes, that's totally what I meant (I had no idea whether "Blur" would be its correct name; IIRC, it looks like the spell icon).
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    To my recollection there has never been a blur icon, just the blur overlay itself.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    @CamDawg - doesn't the spell "Blur" add a portrait icon to the recipient? If yes, that's totally what I meant (I had no idea whether "Blur" would be its correct name; IIRC, it looks like the spell icon).
    Yeah, that's what I remembered as well, but the opcode has no icon in BG or BG2 (via this cloak or spell).

Oh yeah--I also omitted boots of speed, as the effect is not really haste, and there's no icon for 'faster'. :)

Well, if no portrait icon exists for either the spell or the item effect "blur", then I'll remove the Cloak of Displacement from the OP.

@CamDawg - IIRC, the Boots of Speed are now the BG2 version, which bestow the "Haste" portrait icon on the wearer anyway.