Skip to content

Baldur's gate 3 idea

Comments

• GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    edited July 2012
    Yeah, I thought I saw a 'priest' theme which I absolutely love. A nice little (edit) gap between societal role and character class. That's what I'm talking about!
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    I could digg it, would it be kind of like an all gods walk the earth as man type of thing, like what happened to bhaal originally?
  • RingoRingo Member Posts: 39
    Well, that certainly sounds super epic. (and I think bg3 would have to be)

But didn't Lolth die already? I'm asking because i think a D&D game has to follow canon or whoever owns FR will be pissed.

My ideas... I don't know, ToB _is_ hard to continue from. Maybe Grazzt could steal some power from the inexperienced mainchar god, who has to infiltrate a hostile abyssal plane and steal it back. I think there is a big city in there too.
  • Bastion72Bastion72 Member Posts: 60
    @Ringo From what i read Lolth is alive and she punishes every drow that does not obey her ( for example Viconia). It will be good if the protagonist personally takes his revenge in my opinion.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Lloth dissappeared for a few months, then came back as a Greater Goddess after moving the Demonweb Pits from the Abyss to her own plane. In 4th Edition she managed to murder Eilistraee (the goddess of Good Drow) which made her happy, until she discovered Corellon Larethian, Boss-god of the Elven pantheon had taken her place as shephard of the good Drow.

@Bastion72
    The first time I've heard a plot of a god-version of BG3 that isn't completely ridiculous. There are some problems with it though, mostly the fact that in Forgotten Realms lore, the player character did not become a god and Wizards of the Coast (the owner of the Forgotten Realms IP) does not deviate in the slightest from their canon. The idea holds merit for a super-high powered game where cities get levelled in the all out god-war that ensues (so it'll hardly be a Baldur's Gate game) but in no way possible. Sounds fairly awesome though.
  • karpaszkarpasz Member Posts: 74
    As long BG3 is made in Infinity Engine and with 3.5 edition ruleset (NOT 4th edition), I would be happy. :)
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    one problem, a new FR game will be set in the year of 1479 DR, which is more than 100 years after BG2
  • Bend3Bend3 Member Posts: 19
    It wouldn't really be that bit a problem mch202. Since the original idea relates to the GOD version of our hero.
    He walks the land like a normal adventurer with his son (Viconia or Aerie's child),asks his old friends for help (for exaple:Minsc,Valygar,etc..).
    Well I was more specific to this line... should have put a quote.

I personally againsts God-Version of BG, even Bg2 was overpowered for my taste, but thats a whole another thread...

@Mornmagor That's actually kinda good idea. I would like to see some power draining. I mean: Bane attacks you,you are not strong enough,he grabs you and draws your power back to lvl 1 and throws you back in the mortal world ( like in God of war 2).

However you still have some of your godly powers and the rest of them are locked within the souls of Bane's generals and you must kill each of them to restore your power and face Bane. There are 5 generals (main bosses in game) called ''the great five '' or something similiar like that ( like Sendai,Yaga-shura,Balthazar,Abazigal and the other b*tch from BG 2 TOB).
    That sounds like a pretty fair storyline to me.
    I think they should add more choices in BG 3. Major choices i mean. Like in the end when you are victorious,the Solar apperas and gives you a chance to choose what is most important for you. You have 3 choises.
    1.Ressurect all innocent people that died through this war so they can be happy with their families
    2.Ressurect the most important people for you- Gorion,Viconia(depends who you romanced) and your old mortal friends(Minsc for example) that are dead coz 100 years passed ( @mch202 ) and be happy with your family.
    3 Take limitless power and rule the world as the only god and enslave all people to serve you for all of eternity.
    ( I got that idea from Fable 2 final)
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    @Bastio72 Choices and Consequences are a huge deal in RPGs in my opinion. The problem is that they're so difficult to put into video game, especially choices that actually effect the outcome of the game. Playing RPGs with pen and paper makes it easy, as the DM can alter the story along the way, while a video game has to have every possibility mapped out ahead of time. Games that take the time to have decisions with actual effects (to the extent of different endings) are difficult to acquire funding for, as having a second ending is essentially on par with writing and coding a second game (and third, fourth, and so on), while a game with five distinct endings will never sell even three times better than that same game with only one ending.

I would love to see future RPGs focusing on choices and consequences. An upcoming RPG, The Age of Decadence, is planning on doing just that, and will actually have several distinct endings based on your choices throughout the game.

Another aspect of choices is the actual problem-solving choices throughout the game. In a game like Planescape:Torment, you had the choice of attempting to solve problems without combat, and receiving XP rewards for doing just that, which I liked.

Unfortunately, although they are definitely amongst my favorite games of all time, the Baldur's Gate series was limited in both of these aspects. Almost every encounter ended inevitably in battle, and all character statistics in the game are only relevant for purposes of combat. Charismatic and/or intelligent characters weren't really given the opportunity to talk their way out of situations as I think they should be, and should also get appropriate XP rewards for doing so. Ultimately, the entire 4 game Baldur's Gate series had only one ending (BG1, ToTSC, and SoA all had only one ending, and then the series was completed with ToB), followed by a "choice" of accepting godhood or not. Whether or not you do so isn't really two endings as it isn't a choice affected by gameplay, it's just a single choice that each player, regardless of decisions along the way, gets to make essentially after the game is over...

So, as I said before, I would ecstatic to see future games (such as BG3) put out by this development team to heavily incorporate choices and consequences throughout the game.
    @jaysl659 I can agree with that
  • garyriley1982garyriley1982 Member Posts: 32
    Of course, the game could go to whole new areas that RPGs haven't really gone yet as well, such as Waterdeep...
    Eye of the Beholder?

pretty sure that was Waterdeep, or one of the 3 was.....
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    edited July 2012
    @garyriley1982 ah yes, Eye of the Beholder, Neverwinter nights as well... My bad, still, there are definitely a ton of areas across Faerun that have not yet been explored by video games.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    The Forgotten Realms "Time of Troubles," when the gods of Faerun walked the land, occurs 14 years before when BG1 takes place. So a prequel could be one way to go, in the same vein that George Lucas did Star Wars. In that way the Time of Troubles could be featured, and we could also learn more about Gorion when he was young, Sarevok's mentor (forget his name), etc.
  • KatohKatoh Member Posts: 2
    Heh I chuckled at your remark on Lolth. XD

It's a good start of story as I can tell. I like the idea that you have to prepare for a war, that could invite some different gameplay to the game. Giving it some strategy features. Like in the crossroads keep in NWN2.

But yeah rather creative story on your part. I was wondering how the story continues in BG 3 since you're pretty much a god at the end of 2. So good job, good writing. I'd love to read more of it into detail. Internet book? :D
  • willmcclure72willmcclure72 Member Posts: 16
    I think that sounds like a great idea and i can see a game out of this. Viconia and the Main guy FTW!
    @Katoh I actually don't care if Lolth is a boss in a dlc or in Baldur's gate 3. I just want to take my revenge ya know ;d

And you better not read the book coz the protagonist is described as a simpleton that lets Jaheira die by Abazigal's hand and does not become the new lord of murder (and he makes alot other stupid decisions)
    I hope they change that plot if there is BG 3.
    I just thought about a title for Baldur's gate 3 - Baldur's gate III: Divine Retribution
  • AnoAno Member Posts: 4
    I prefer the Idea of being the grandchild or great grandchild of the main character from Baldur's Gate, with the plot being that you are sought after by Baldur's Gate and another group trying to destroy Baldur's Gate, with a demi God behind the scenes pulling strings on both sides in order to get ahold of you for your unique essence to fuel some kind of God killing weapon. Baldur's Gate's forces could be seen as the presumed good guys, while the other group could be the more evil approach to the game, however there would be opportunity for the protagonist to influence both sides down a different route or combine forces against previously mentioned demi god.

For the beginning of the game you don't know you are "SPECIAL" and neither does the faction you chose etc, then when you've done quite a few quests it starts to get juicy around level 12 and things get a bit messy :-) With both sides realising who you are etc and how either side wants to use you.

This would leave BG3 open to like a level 1- 20 cap and could possibly extend a bit farther north and east then original Baldur's Gate in terms of areas to be explored.

A third route could be the main protagonist rejects both sides and forges there own path.

What you guys think?
    @Ano It kinda seems too much like ''Baldur's gate 1'' and ''The Witcher'' to me but it's still good one. :)
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    The Forgotten Realms "Time of Troubles," when the gods of Faerun walked the land, occurs 14 years before when BG1 takes place. So a prequel could be one way to go, in the same vein that George Lucas did Star Wars. In that way the Time of Troubles could be featured, and we could also learn more about Gorion when he was young, Sarevok's mentor (forget his name), etc.
    A prequel to Baldur's gate would be where you play as Bhaal and try and knock up women of as many species as possible apparently.

"Here lil' basilisk...."
    "Here lil dragon..."

Im For a New FR Game or If BG3, so let it be with new story in the Area of BG, or a somewhat involve a descendant..
    The BG saga has ended - you were an anonymous child at candlekeep and become a god - no much point to continue from there ( and I even not talked about a lvl40+ game... ).

There are tons of storys you can tell about new characters, its not like the bhall spawn story is the only one available on faerun... if BG3 is to be made, as I said, I think it should be in the Area of BG, and may involve known characters such as elfs or dwarfs NPC's from the original game ( still - its after 100 years.. ). but not a direct continuation of TOB (which by itself was already too much in opinion), BG SAGA will always be a Classic - let it stay that way and move on
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    I have a new idea... @TrentOster

Make BG3 with an updated aurora engine please please please:D
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I have a new idea... @TrentOster

Make BG3 with an updated aurora engine please please please:D
    Yes, please! 2D and the same DnD ruleset. Just make it look as graphically gorgeous as it can be, and soup it up in other ways, but keep engine.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    I definitely do not want BG3 (if it happens) to start at higher levels. I really enjoy starting at level 1 and battling the lower level enemies, slowly working my way up.
  • SirBuliwyfSirBuliwyf Member Posts: 137
    I'd love to see a BG3 but I have to say, it would have to be a new character back to lvl one. The original protagonist's story is over. The new character and story can still be linked to the Bhall spawn fallout (perhaps a grandson?) but overall a new adventure.

Lemernis he said Aurora engine, that was NWN if I recall and not the 2d isometric style Trent Oster has said he is keen to stick with. that would be the infinity engine that bg uses.