Skip to content

BGEE on smartphones?

ehx_ray1ehx_ray1 Member Posts: 1
edited July 2012 in Android (Archive)
Is there any chance that BGEE will run on smartphones with Android? Let's say, ones with over 4 inches displays. I know you can find emulators allowing you to play BG on them, but it's not smooth at all etc.

Any idea? And would you consider playing like that?
BlackLinxBrude

Comments

• Daedalus87mDaedalus87m Member Posts: 92
    If your device meets the system requirements, I don't see any problem why you shouldn't be able to run it.
    Animeware
  • AkerhonAkerhon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 614
    I don' known ... maybe it's just for tablets.
    (I have a Samsung Galaxy S II)
  • Ezzaam4FutbolEzzaam4Futbol Member Posts: 72
    Just beware the size. Baldur's gate run perfectly with GemRB and should be more optimized with the EE. I can say that 4.7 inches is too short with the GemRB version. I guess it will be perfect. We actually need to wait the reviews. Or buy a Nexus 7 tablet which is cheap,7 inch screen and a quad core(1.2) to be secure.
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    I've said in another thread, a smartphone version might be something that we look into later but we have no plans for it at this time. The experience is just not optimal on a smaller device. Rest assured that if we do delve into the smartphone area, we'll make sure that the experience works properly.
  • ceramic_golemceramic_golem Member Posts: 10
    Nathan said:

I've said in another thread, a smartphone version might be something that we look into later but we have no plans for it at this time. The experience is just not optimal on a smaller device. Rest assured that if we do delve into the smartphone area, we'll make sure that the experience works properly.

Just registered so I could confirm: there won't be an actual lock against installing on phones, right? Just a lack of optimizations for pocketable screen sizes?

I ask because many high-end phones like the Galaxy Nexus will let you output to large displays and use a desktop mode where bluetooth mice, keyboards and controllers allow a PC-style experience. I'd assume Android BG:EE would work pretty well with a keyboard and mouse, given its origins. Using a large TV or regular monitor would certainly solve the screen size issue.
  • robrob Member Posts: 2
    Will there be a demo? pretty much all of the questions here seem to be about whether or not it will run on a smart phone. A demo would sort it all out.
    diggerb
  • SallparadiseSallparadise Member Posts: 94
    Even if it could be run on a smartphone, why would you want to?
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    640x480 is the minimum resolution the game needs, and it looks awful at that. BGEE at least got some zooming feature which may be useful, but instead of monsters, you'll be fighting with the screen size of a phone.
    SpaceInvader
    Sallparadise: as I posted, many advanced smartphones allow video output (to a monitor, TV, projector, etc). When you pair the phone with a keyboard, mouse, or controller via bluetooth or USB, you can treat it like a basic desktop computer. It's actually what I'm doing right now to type this message.

Avenger_teambg: for me, the goal isn't to play on a phone screen. My screen is 4.65" and 720p. Probably playable but certainly not ideal. The idea is to make use of video output to get the big-screen experience anywhere with HDMI.
  • robrob Member Posts: 2
    The screen size isn't ideal on a phone but it isn't so bad, i've run gemrb and i can see the arms on an ice memphet, only problem is that it runs a little slow and the sound's poor. The game was originally designed to run in 640x480, it's not like it's unplayable in that res.
  • specter597specter597 Member Posts: 15
    I'm as curious as Ceramic_golem - Will smartphones be locked from purchasing or be listed as "unsupported" but still able to buy?
  • SolobearSolobear Member Posts: 55
    4.3 Inch screen @ 480 x 800.

Eww
  • derekkinsmanderekkinsman Member Posts: 2
    Well, the required resolution (in Google's Android documentation) for Android 4.0 is for screen resolutions of 1280x270. I've got the latest Google Nexus and it's a 4" screen. The only Android tablets worth paying for are the Google Nexus 7 and the Kobo Arc. Both of which are 7" screens at 1280x720 and run stock Android 4.1. All the other tablets are clunky and aren't very responsive.

If there's support for the Nexus 7 or the Arc (which means the 4" phones running 4.x should be usuable as well) I'll get the Android edition. Otherwise I'll be sticking with the Mac edition.
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    edited September 2012
    Smartphone would be rough, my eyes are alright, so I'm sure I could do it if I had a touch stylus, but I think I'd just buy a Tablet before I tried my phone.
    Personal choice :)
  • AnimewareAnimeware Member Posts: 73
    What about Samsung Galaxy Note Smartphone it also got a stylus too?
    Note2
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    The consensus among the developers is that anything smaller than a 7 inch screen would require a rework of the UI to be truly usable. Just dig around the forum :)
    Arex
  • darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    Smartphone launch the BG-EE , i don't think it can get nice gameplay experience

Developers must monitor game experience , instead making the money,
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007

Nathan said:

Just registered so I could confirm: there won't be an actual lock against installing on phones, right? Just a lack of optimizations for pocketable screen sizes?

I ask because many high-end phones like the Galaxy Nexus will let you output to large displays and use a desktop mode where bluetooth mice, keyboards and controllers allow a PC-style experience. I'd assume Android BG:EE would work pretty well with a keyboard and mouse, given its origins. Using a large TV or regular monitor would certainly solve the screen size issue.
    I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier -- you raise an interesting point.

Talking about it with my coworkers, here's the basic gist of it: it'll appear for tablets only within the google store, but we're not going to put in work to make it not work on smaller devices.

...if that makes sense.

To try and clarify: We're not going to add in anything that would sniff hardware and disable the build or something, so, if you want to go to the effort of getting it installed on your phone it may not work because it's not supported, but, we're not going to go out of our way to make it not work - if you're buying the game from us and have the technical know-how to get the game present on your phone, then I think that deserves a pat on the back rather than a kick in the junk. =)

Just note that the UI might look like poo and be extremely hard to work with unless you're outputting to a larger screen as you indicated.
    ceramic_golem
    edited October 2012
    Nathan said:

I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier -- you raise an interesting point.

Talking about it with my coworkers, here's the basic gist of it: it'll appear for tablets only within the google store, but we're not going to put in work to make it not work on smaller devices.

...if that makes sense.

To try and clarify: We're not going to add in anything that would sniff hardware and disable the build or something, so, if you want to go to the effort of getting it installed on your phone it may not work because it's not supported, but, we're not going to go out of our way to make it not work - if you're buying the game from us and have the technical know-how to get the game present on your phone, then I think that deserves a pat on the back rather than a kick in the junk. =)

Just note that the UI might look like poo and be extremely hard to work with unless you're outputting to a larger screen as you indicated.

Hey, thanks for checking. It's good to know, considering how many weird Android device form factors are available or coming up (stick computers, notebooks, dev boards, etc). I know the idea has some appeal to me, as someone who doesn't own a laptop PC.

It'll be interesting to see how things turn out, and here's a sorry-in-advance about any irrelevant bug or crash reports you guys get from geeks and tinkerers ;)
  • phatfunkphatfunk Member Posts: 1
    will it work on phone/tablet combo like the asus padfone?
  • lbalba Member Posts: 8
    There will be alot unhappy customers if BGEE doesent work on Galaxy Note 2.
    Note2newvillage
  • EldmoreEldmore Member Posts: 22
    I own a Sony xperia ion Any luck for me? I would like to play on my night shift
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited November 2012
    phatfunk said:

will it work on phone/tablet combo like the asus padfone?

The restriction is not about whether it's a tablet or phone, but screen size. A PadFone still has a very small screen.
    lba said:

It's a UI issue. If/when a phone compatible UI is created, then it should work.

Trent tweeted a few days ago that he is going to give Cameron the opportunity, early next year, to create a phone/small screen compatible UI. If that project is successful, then BG:EE would be considered "compatible" with small screen devices.

Risingsun
  • Note2Note2 Member Posts: 1
    lba said:

Yup. Every note 2 user inc myself are almost expecting this to work on the 5.5 inch screen. It is a phablet after all
    MystraTheMage
  • MystraTheMageMystraTheMage Member Posts: 71
    Note2 said:

lba said:

Yup. Every note 2 user inc myself are almost expecting this to work on the 5.5 inch screen. It is a phablet after all
    It is nice to see other Note 2 users showing interest. I personally feel the 5.5 inch amoled HD screen is more than capable. Not to mention its quad core and ram are superior to most tablets mentioned.
  • Silver_MoonSilver_Moon Member Posts: 72
    I have an LG optimus 4hd, or another name for my mobile is Lg p880 (american name).Just let to know about my device. BG dont try to run.
  • J_IrenicusJ_Irenicus Member Posts: 7
    edited December 2012
    Would be strange if it wouldn't work for phablets/hybrids(like pf1/2)
    But I bet there will be a way around it if phablets would be blocked, root could probably fix that.
  • MotokiMotoki Member Posts: 12

It is nice to see other Note 2 users showing interest. I personally feel the 5.5 inch amoled HD screen is more than capable. Not to mention its quad core and ram are superior to most tablets mentioned.

FWIW I think the Note II runs 'tablet' centric apps just fine, particularly since you can use the S-Pen to really pinpoint very specific points on a UI rather than just your fingers which would obviously hit a wider area.

I run Avadon on the Note II and while it warns that it's designed for tablets, it lets you bypass the warning and still run the game and I think it works well on the Note II with the S-Pen.
    Aristillius
  • MystraTheMageMystraTheMage Member Posts: 71
    I will check out Avadon, as an alt till they release bg.ee.
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Yeah, avadon was what made me certain that BGEE would be great for Android. Good stepping stone so to speak.