Skip to content

So, Xzar not being a party member in BG2.

Xzar, my favorite joinable NPC in BG1. I was quite upset when I learned that he could not be in my party when I started playing BG2. I considered anti-depressants when I saw him viciously, unjustly slain by a filthy harper. Anyone else feel this way? Not just about him mind you, any other NPCs.

Comments

• MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    I think I felt the complete opposite when I saw dead Khalid. I was like 'YEEESSSSS, I no longer need him in my group to have Jaheira, good riddance'.
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    I was annoyed that Ajantis got killed off :(
  • SarevokokSarevokok Member Posts: 171
    I miss them all! Xzar first then Kivan..my sweet Kivan.
  • NadroirNadroir Member Posts: 50
    I miss him and Xan.
  • RheiosRheios Member Posts: 22
    See I was pretty po'd when I found out Khalid was dead. I liked his personality in-game. He was cowardly but he sucked it up for his job and his wife. (Most of the time) And by the end of the first game was as a hero like the rest of us. I never just dropped him. Its one of the reasons I'm not crazy about the Jaheria love line in the game. Seems like a betrayal of Khalid's trust. (Rp logic of course) That and the age gap.

Dynaheir, however, I found to be insufferable. When they dropped her for BGII I was like "Wait...didn't she get eaten by gnolls after blindly charging her captors when I set her free?"
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    edited November 2012
    I miss Dynaheir, though her story was fitting.

@Sarevokok @Muro You know there's a very well-written mod (http://www.gibberlings3.net/kivan/index.php) that brings Kivan to BG2 right? Ties directly into the BG1 NPC Project content for him.
    @Rheios Yeah I never liked her either. But considering as how I was usually a mage and I almost always had Xzar, not much room for her.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    On topic,
    Ya i was bummed when I ran into him, there was no way to recruit him OR save him and Monteron's life. Although he did have some epic last words.

And I am or am travelling with high level clerics. Why can't I raise him or Ajantis or any other NPC that I like that has a scripted death in front of me. :/
    I'm kind of hoping in BG:EE 2 they add some old NPCs in.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    Xzar was one of my favs... but you can't please everyone. I hear some folks want him added and then Monty and then others... then where is the room for the new characters you need to have in the sequel to keep it fresh? I was pretty happy with some of the cameos.
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    It would be a nice addition to have some way to resurrect your dead former comrades or perhaps give a little choice to the matter, slay the righteous harper halfling before he can lay a hand on your favourite psychotic mage. Bring the body of Ajantis to the temple and have him brought back. Pledge your loyalty to the mighty Tiax and guard him with your life within Spellhold.

On top of this, bring back Kivan and Xan (or hope the mods get updated for BG2:EE)
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Xzar had an interesting part in BG2 , I don't mind that he doesn't join the party, but I wish there were more quests related to him before he got killed.
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    I miss Xzar, and Monty, and Xan, and Kivan, and Alora, and Quayle...
  • SecriaSecria Member Posts: 85
    All the cameos like that really bothered me. To me it would've been better not to have them.

I also felt a little sad when Xzar got killed. Was my fault too.

Can't even take his corpse to a church for resurrection.
  • SecriaSecria Member Posts: 85
    Mungri said:

I think I felt the complete opposite when I saw dead Khalid. I was like 'YEEESSSSS, I no longer need him in my group to have Jaheira, good riddance'.

You could kill him then throw him out of the party and Jaheira would stay without objection. I'm pretty sure, because that's what I did to Jaheira to keep Khalid.
    Yeah I never wanted Monty so I'd wack him to death with staves then remove him and keep Xzar.
  • Epok999Epok999 Member Posts: 8
    I felt like that too when Xzar first died in front of me. All the annoying characters are still alive - Jaheira (she's a plague, I can't play three seconds with her in my party and not kill her), Minsc (Yeah, I hate him... his hamster storyline just sucks, face it please), Imoen, Edwin (I just kill him whenever I see him. It does not help me going trough the thief guild questline). At least we still have Viconia.
    But, hey... Xzar! What happened? I just think they want their players to suffer.
    I too do not like Minsc and his rodent, Jaheria is retarded, Imoen is weak and I like Edwin. Korgan is fun and so is Viconia.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    *Joins Minsc hate band wagon*

*Gets lynched*
  • salierisalieri Member Posts: 245
    Quayle. He doesn't even die, he just stands around and expects me to look after his irritating ward. What did I do wrong, Q?
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    edited November 2012
    Personally, Xzar was never one of my favorites in BG1, but I would have preferred there being an option to save him. In fact, if you time it perfectly you can, although it makes no difference to the plot as the game still regards him as dead.

If you would find it more satisfying if you knew the Harpers failed to kill Xzar, have someone start casting Imprisonment on Xzar after you have the bird in your inventory, but before you tell him about it. When you are almost done casting, have a different character talk to Xzar and give him the bird. If you time it perfectly, the spell will go off in the split second between when the Harper assassin appears and when Xzar dies. Once Xzar is imprisoned the game will regard him as dead and the assassin will give the same dialogue she normally gives after killing Xzar. When she leaves, you can cast a Freedom spell and Xzar will come back and will still stand there alive, but no other options are available because the game thinks he's dead.
    ARKdeEREH said:

Personally, Xzar was never one of my favorites in BG1, but I would have preferred there being an option to save him. In fact, if you time it perfectly you can, although it makes no difference to the plot as the game still regards him as dead.

If you would find it more satisfying if you knew the Harpers failed to kill Xzar, have someone start casting Imprisonment on Xzar after you have the bird in your inventory, but before you tell him about it. When you are almost done casting, have a different character talk to Xzar and give him the bird. If you time it perfectly, the spell will go off in the split second between when the Harper assassin appears and when Xzar dies. Once Xzar is imprisoned the game will regard him as dead and the assassin will give the same dialogue she normally gives after killing Xzar. When she leaves, you can cast a Freedom spell and Xzar will come back and will still stand there alive, but no other options are available because the game thinks he's dead.

Who figures this stuff out? O_o

• IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    Nadroir said:

Someone awesome I expect
    edited November 2012
    Nadroir said:

ARKdeEREH said:

I tried to change the course of the game in several places where I thought things should have happened differently, and had varying degrees of success. In this case with Xzar, you can save him, but the game is no different for it. In other places you can save people and the game actually will acknowledge it through dialogue, although generally not in a meaningful way.
  • DoveberryDoveberry Member Posts: 24
    edited November 2012
    Well, there is a plethora of mods for those that miss the BG1 NPCs.

Kivan and Deheriana
    Xan BG2
    Yeslick BG2
    Skie BG2
    Quayle Project
    Alora BG2
    Tiax BG2/Coran BG2
    BG1 NPCs for BG2

The only one I've tried (and loved, by the way) is Kulyok's Xan for BG2. Cannot say anything about the quality of the rest, but at least they exist as an option. The last mod may be the way to go for someone that wants to bring back Xzar.
    If you really want Xzar in your party and don't want to try a mod, you could use the ctrl q cheat to add him to your party and then give him his BG1 picture with Shadowkeeper.
    Yeah I know, but his banter wouldn't be there and that's the best part.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Sarevokok said:

I considered anti-depressants when I saw him viciously, unjustly slain by a filthy harper.

I always thought a cool plot twist would've been if, moments after Xzar was "killed" and the assassin left, the REAL Xzar stepped out of the shadows and explained that you had actually just spoken to an illusion or clone of his that he had created in his stead, to fool the harpers.

Perhaps this can still be done in BG2:EE? I know Beamdog isn't allowed to CHANGE any of the original scripts, but this wouldn't be "changing" as much as ADDING TO... right?