Skip to content

Poll Arms

GygaxianProseGygaxianProse Member Posts: 201
edited November 2012 in Off-Topic
Do you Halberd often? Guisarme on the sly? Or just Pike it? Don't be a Glaive to the system! Vote now!
  1. Poll Arms56 votes
    1. I workout daily with a pole saw in my front yard wearing only whitie tighties and goggles.
        8.93%
    2. Twinkies!
        8.93%
    3. I once slew a probable home invader in the driveway with a halberd.
      14.29%
    4. I am offended by this poll.
      50.00%
    5. Lucerne Hammer.
      17.86%
Post edited by Tanthalas on

Comments

• MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Actually, it was with a bardiche, followed by impaling the invader on a pike on my front lawn as a warning to all other potential invaders.
    Sulla
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    A...Pole poll? *brain explodes*
    MedullaOblongataARKdeEREH
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265
    edited November 2012
    A halberd killed my family.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    No Svärdstav. I'm offended.
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    I'm not offended by this poll, but I don't understand the other options.
    Sylvus_Moonbow
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    The Force is strong with this one.
    GodKaiserHellFredjoGygaxianProse
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    On of the 1st Edition handbooks had a whole appendix of pole-arms. I didn't own the handbook, but copied that appendix because I was so fascinated by pole-arms. Especially all the variety and the way most of them derived from ordinary farm-tools. And if you don't like polls about poles, well, I'll pull you from your horse with the hook of my bill-guisarme!
    MortiannaKamigoroshi
  • swnmcmlxiswnmcmlxi Member Posts: 297
    I was offended by a Pole once, but I got over it.
  • allhailsteveallhailsteve Member Posts: 210
    I have no idea what's going on here.
    ARKdeEREH
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I'm a glaive to the system.
  • saffon69saffon69 Member Posts: 58
    love the amount of pole-arm variations in the 1st Edition rules book , got a weapons book out of the school libary , so I could visulise the weapons...we humans not nice to each other at times : )
    edited November 2012
    It's much better to live in a post-apocalyptic fallout-area than to be a knight on a late-medieval battlefield:

It's a choice between getting iguana-on-a-stick or nasty-sharp-metal-thing-on-a-stick. The former only gives you some rads, the latter more than you can chew!
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356

On of the 1st Edition handbooks had a whole appendix of pole-arms. I didn't own the handbook, but copied that appendix because I was so fascinated by pole-arms. Especially all the variety and the way most of them derived from ordinary farm-tools. And if you don't like polls about poles, well, I'll pull you from your horse with the hook of my bill-guisarme!

I remember that as well. It was Unearthed Arcana. (I used to spend hours reading my older brother's 1st edition books when I was a kid.)
  • CyhortCyhort Member Posts: 78
    I was going to make a very clever joke about taking a halberd to the knee, but then I saw your option about Twinkies and even though I've never liked Twinkies and I don't eat Twinkies, I'm sad that they're gone. So now I have to cry. And you don't get to have my joke.

Offended myself. I've also reported this thread for immediate termination.

I don't see what's offensive about it. Like with other polls, it you don't like it, you don't need to participate. It's just some way to have fun while we're waiting. People getting a bit silly over waiting and anticipation. Don't give us a preview to chew on and we start creating something in the void. I think it's fun to point attention to really interesting but under-represented arms. There's so much more to pole-arms than just halberds and spears.

Did you know the halberd is a late creation, that came as a sophisticated working-out of much earlier versions that were just farm implements tied to a stick, giving the peasantry some leverage when dealing with knights in armour? And that lots of the hooks and twists on the actual damage-dealing part of the pole arm, were meant to pry open armour? Like the Lucerne hammer I voted for? It was to make a dent in armour. And I hope I made a dent into you being offensed.

ARKdeEREH
    I failed to pick the joke about Twinkies though. But the sad thing is, humour isn't funny anymore it it gets explained :-(
  • GygaxianProseGygaxianProse Member Posts: 201
    And there they made a solemn oath on poor John Barleycorn
    They've hired men with their crabtree sticks to cut him skin from bone
    And the miller he has served him worse than that
    For he's ground him between two stones
    rexreg
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345

I've also reported this thread for immediate termination.

I rather agree. Polls like this have no relation to the actual game - there's nothing game related in the poll options/purpose and there's nothing game related in the thread content, which makes the whole thing spam, or off topic material at best.

The argument that people should just avoid participation in all threads they don't like can be applied to all kinds of spam/troll content, but that doesn't really handle the issue. And considering how many useless polls have been popping up in the general forum lately I'm suggesting @Tanthalas locks this or at least moves it.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I'm moving this to off-topic for now.

If polls start getting out of hand I'll start deleting them.
    Very weird place this is.
    The thread itself was a fun vibe, a discussion of polearms began, ....then two complainers started complaining, derailed the thread, and the Mod thusly moves it into off-topic.
    Well done, complainers.

Two Cents for Moderators: unless it's for something important, leave the threads and silly polls alone, you're killing the vibe with over-management. And feel free to ignore the vocal minority!

@Son_of_Imoen: I was going to speculate as to what a "crab-tree stick" might have looked like. sounds nasty. I also wonder how Gary DM'd polearms. Probably as sort of proto-feats, special maneuvers depending on the polearm. AFAIK he only used OD&D + supplements, or in later years his LJ system.
    Twinkies were in the news, so I threw them in there. They have no historical use as polearms, but are useful for hurling at gamers that are allergic to fun.

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I'm offended because this poll is lacking muffin button option. Or at least "dafuq" option.
    LordsDarkKnight185

I also wonder how Gary DM'd polearms. Probably as sort of proto-feats, special maneuvers depending on the polearm. AFAIK he only used OD&D + supplements, or in later years his LJ system.

The strange thing is, there's no horses in the D&D settings (or are there?) so what's the use of pole-arms and pole-arm maneuvers?

• rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    edited November 2012
    i am definitely not offended by this poll
    G. Gygax's "The Nomenclature of Polearms" in Dragon Magazine #22 was wonderful
    i still miss E.G.G. & his voice
    @Son_of_Imoen horses have been present since OD&D book #1 (Men & Magic)
    edit: if you don't like a poll, plz don't gripe about it--instead don't take part in/ignore it, but plz don't take the wind out of others' sails...thnx...
  • HeinrichHeinrich Member Posts: 188
    I'll see you in court!
    bill guisarmes @ high noon?
    rexreg said:

i am definitely not offended by this poll
    G. Gygax's "The Nomenclature of Polearms" in Dragon Magazine #22 was wonderful
    i still miss E.G.G. & his voice
    @Son_of_Imoen horses have been present since OD&D book #1 (Men & Magic)
    edit: if you don't like a poll, plz don't gripe about it--instead don't take part in/ignore it, but plz don't take the wind out of others' sails...thnx...

How he made rulings on polearms is a good question for a forum like Dragonsfoot. OD&D is, of course, rules-light, but then eminently versatile as a result.
    Say its a case of wanting to pull a rider off a horse with a hooked polearm.
    I would give initiative to the polearm, IF the character was readied. Otherwise, standard or indiv. initiative.
    Then an attack roll. I would say with a -1 or -2.
    Then finally the pull itself. Opposed roll. Attacker adds STR damage adj, defender adds DEX ( ac or reaction adj)
    Then either the rider gets yanked to the ground, prone for 1 round, or gets off the hook, and probably attacks the polearm wielder. Might give a bonus to attack following an unsuccesful hook attack.
    Could be done a bunch of other ways, or with additional complexities - roll a 1 on the opposed roll and the polearm flies out of your hands - defender fumbles and they have to save vs. paralysis or be knocked out cold upon hitting the ground....or with less dice, standard attack and a saving throw vs. ill effects.

Then, something like the lucerne hammer, I'd be inclined to give a bonus vs. armor a la 1st edition AD&D. I have an Unearthed Arcana, can't remember if it gives weapon vs. AC type for polearms -
    @GygaxianProse
    for all the 1st ed. I played, the given weapon vs. AC always seemed too cumbersome...interesting & accurate in its own way, but cumbersome...love weapon speed/casting time, though
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Military Fork you. ;)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.