Skip to content

Complaint about being Electronic Artsed over $2 in pre-ordering

2»

Comments

• MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Oh hey, you had to pay an extra $2, and on the other hand my PC went boom and I had to pay £250 for a new motherboard and PSU so I can play this and other games .... I have zero sympathy.
  • GygaxianProseGygaxianProse Member Posts: 201

My point here is ethical. I am not an unhappy customer demanding my money back. I am criticizing the decision itself to rescind the $18 pre-order price before the pre-ordering period ended. I do not care that the company covered itself legally, and I do not need to hear this repeated in the Webmasterese tongue, Tanthalas. In the future, I don't want to be Electronic Artsed by Overhaul/Beamdog again.

Sieur de La Cornbread

It's a very minor point you have, but I tend to agree. They missed their release date, and should probably keep the $18 until it's out. Are you, by any chance, going to be playing a Paladin?
    Cuv said:

I seem to recall paying $39.99 for the original Baldur's Gate when it was released. I paid $49.99 for BG2:Shadows of Amn and ToEE new. I still have the boxes with the prices on them. It's really hard to sympathize with whining about $2 for a remastered copy of a known 'great' game that is less than half the price originally. Pre-orders always give a discount, again... if you missed the pre-order... I have no sympathy. I am planning on paying the full price when released to support Overhaul. I like what I am seeing.

Wow, bonus points on keeping boxes and such. And if we adjust the 49.99 for inflation...must be closer to $60...as the OP stated numerous times, the $2 doesn't matter, it's just a little sloppy on the business ethics end, or seems that way to him. Whatever.
    I too like what I'm seeing, and wish Beamdog a long, succesful run.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Mungri said:

Oh hey, you had to pay an extra $2, and on the other hand my PC went boom and I had to pay £250 for a new motherboard and PSU so I can play this and other games .... I have zero sympathy.

I feel your pain, though not as bad. My primary hard drive died earlier this summer and it killed me inside. Thankfully personal files were backed up, but hard drives still cost a lot more than $2 to buy :)
  • allhailsteveallhailsteve Member Posts: 210
    I paid the higher price too but it was only two dollars and I'm guessing if you were that peeved over the two dollars you wouldn't have preordered in the first place.
  • Many of you completely miss the concept but some of you get it. I do not care at all what the price is, because I will pay it regardless. My qualm is with changing the price from X to Y while still in the pre-order period. I didn't miss the pre-order. I see the same message on http://baldursgate.com/windows.en.html as I did before. Pre-orders are still on, just with a price change (I didn't make an order to verify the price did in fact change to $20 because I take the developers at their word). We were led to believe one thing. Then that changed. I have a problem with the change. What kind of pre-ordering has a time limit? Was that the pre-pre-order period of ambiguous duration? Come down and visit earth with me. I'm registering my complaint here. The delay to November was great, and I wish they'd delay the game further to shine the knobs a little more. But the pre-order pricing must match and be consistent. Otherwise I will come to the forums and voice my criticism and create new verbs. Complaints about business ethics are not good publicity for a fledgling game project attempting the resurrection of a 14 year old franchise.

Ajantis will spend a lot of time in my party. You can be sure that Ajantis wouldn't raise pre-order prices.

I don't want more issues like this instigated by the developers, moving forward. If the people in charge take note of this complaint, then I have succeeded in my task. Electronic Arts me once, shame on you. Electronic Arts me twice, shame on me.

Sieur de La Cornbread
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Sieur. You are missing the point.

The price was set at 17.99 till September 18th. After September 18th the price went up. They stated this in the Beam Dog client (The game was under the Sale option).

Just because one deadline was missed didn't mean they were going to extend another one. You might of ASSUMED they were and you know what they say about people who assume things.

Once again, preordering the game pretty much gets you nothing but a nifty badge, and a chance to dled before the release date (but unable to play). That's it. If you don't like what is being offered, wait until it is released then you can purchase the game. No one is stopping you from doing that.

There is no ethical debate. you are assuming you are being jipped. I am assuming you missed a sale that was stated when it was going to end.

You can keep spouting the same garbage in all of your posts if you want, it is going to get you no where with no sympathy.
  • 10thLich10thLich Member Posts: 99
    It seems that it's business as usual, everyone misses each others point.

What Sieur complains about, is that he was under the impression that the reduced pre-order price would be valid till the game's released.

Original release date was September 18th, which coincides with the end of the pre-order offer. Therefore it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume, that when the game's delayed till November 28th, that the pre-order offer will also be extended to that date.

Just to illustrate that point:
    Imagine 3D Realms said that Duke Nukem Forever would release somewhere around 2004 and you could pre-order it for price X till the day before release (they mention said date in their announcement). Would you be still under the impression that you couldn't pre-order it any longer for price X after they announce that release day has been delayed to date Y?

What everyone else keeps repeating is, that there's an end to the pre-order offer period stated somewhere, therefore that offer is only valid up to and including that date - September 18th.

10th
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    10thLich said:

What everyone else keeps repeating is, that there's an end to the pre-order offer period stated somewhere, therefore that offer is only valid up to and including that date - September 18th.

10th

Yet, he is unable to comprehend that :D
    Except that 'somewhere' was the same place where you read about the $18
    The two cannot be separated.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438

What kind of pre-ordering has a time limit?

Well maybe not the pre-order itself, but pre-order bonuses (eg the price drop for BGEE) having a limited duration, that does not necessarily go right until the release day, is something I've seen multiple times before.
  • RisingsunRisingsun Member Posts: 99
    Want to know what's funny. Since I'm a Mac user I can't Preorder the game. Same with the iOS version.

I was never going to get a $2 discount but guess what that's ok, my world hasn't collapsed around me and I don't feel betrayed and slighted.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Aside from the point you're making (which, I believe is "They raised the pre-order price before the game was released and I'm calling shenanigans"), I'm disagreeing with the term "Electronic Artsing".

If half the wilderness areas were suddenly DLC, all the NPC's were bisexual romances, the engine had revamped to a simple damage/damage resistance system instead of thac0, all deaths resulted in gibs and blood and pre-ordering gave you a +3 Longsword of Slaughter (with custom Bhaal-symbol hilt) and/or The Black Robes of Bhaal, giving +10 Caster Levels on all Death Spells (with Bhaal symbol on the chest), THEN it would count for Electronic Artsing.

Oh, and if the price had been upped to $40,- and not $20,-. A two buck increase is not screwing with you enough to warrant that title.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    This thread has probably run its course. Probably better to close it unless there are new points to be made?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @SieurdeLaCornbread

I'm closing this because at this point we'll only get bashing, but if you have a problem with this subject feel free to either send a personal message to one of the developers (PhillipDaigle, TrentOster, CameronTofer, etc) or just cantact Beamdog directly: https://beamdog.zendesk.com/anonymous_requests/new
This discussion has been closed.