Skip to content

Another delay inevitable?

So we're less than a day from launch, and there's been no news on the game. Anywhere. Prior to a games launch there are usually several indicators that the product is complete. I think it's worth addressing at this point, and hopefully we can get some feedback soon.

1) The most obvious point; no announcement that the game is complete. Prior to most launches, it's pretty standard to get an announcement that the product has gone gold and no further changes are being made to the core product. This is usually the point where developers start doing other stuff, such as DLC. Unless you're capcom.

2) Media are often provided with a pre-release review edition of the game, which contains all features but in some cases may be somewhat unstable. This allows the media time to adequetly assess the game and write up reviews. I've heard no rumblings of any review sites having been provided with their review products, and a review launching just prior to launch helps build the hype machine.

3) Beamdog have previously stated they are aiming for same date multiplatform release. This presents major issues for a small studio due to the nature of bug quashing on multiple platforms. A single bug on any platform means a delay across the board, regardless of the state of the product on other platforms.

4) This has happened before back in sept, with just as little notice to the customers.

Now I'm 100% behind a developers decision to delay a release to further polish a product. Take as long as you need to make the game as good as possible. You only get one chance to make a first impression, and if a delay will lead to a better product, then by all means, delay. More positive press about a game directly correlates with higher sales, and higher sales means the developer can bankroll more future products. It is possible a delay may lead to core fans grumbling a little bit, but the reality is they've already pre-purchased the product, and their money is already secured. Regardless of their initial reaction, in the end it's likely they will be thankful for a better game.

That being said, we live in an age where instant and global communication is achievable with the click of a button. The developers have a fully functional forum (sidenote: the forum technology on this site is hands down the best I've ever seen!), twitter accounts, email to subscribers, etc. Going completely dark so close to launch is downright negligent, and very disconcerting to the fans.

I know you guys are busy, I know you aren't sleeping much and I know you need coffee. I know you need a hug right now. But please, please, let us know what is happening! Do I need to make alternate plans this weekend?

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    They've actually been giving several interviews in the past days.
  • SirFrancealotSirFrancealot Member Posts: 56
    derp. I was sure the launch was 17th nov for some reason, wonder how I got that wrong. Oh well time to make plans for the weekend ><
  • Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Member Posts: 121
    It is actually bumped up to the 28th iirc. We should be hearing news soon about preload. They seem pretty firm on it coming out this month.
    http://www.shacknews.com/article/76686/baldurs-gate-enhanced-interview-making-a-classic-better

Extract from this article, which was posted yesterday:

"The Baldur's Gate series was a classic for the PC, and the announcement of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition with updated technology and new content created quite a positive buzz in RPG circles. Now, with the game set to launch in less than two weeks on November 28, we had a chance to chat with Beamdog president Trent Oster about the game's initial delay, the new content, plans for DLC and, eventually, Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced."
  • cloakanddaggercloakanddagger Member Posts: 111
    Will the 28th-30th include Mac users as well? I know that the old release date was PC only because they still had to submit to the Mac App store.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

Will the 28th-30th include Mac users as well? I know that the old release date was PC only because they still had to submit to the Mac App store.

Hope so!

• SharnSharn Member Posts: 188
    edited November 2012
    I was actually considering posting a query as to whether or not the game would make its release date myself. I was going to find a different game to pass the time if it was going to be delayed again, so the sooner I learn about it the better.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Well this was a scary post. I was holy crap rent is due tomorrow?!

Sigh... I think NPC sexuality and Delayed Game posts make up about 70% of this forum. I'm gonna post some YouTube vids with chimps dressed as people or something to bring back some balance.

I can't believe I didn't make that mental connection before! It's so simple! Why has the game been delayed? Obviously because they are rewriting minsc to be homosexual! Woo!

There is now no need for any other forum topic, 70% of all discussion can take place here

Hopefully they aren't fixing this bug... freaking halarious. Make sure you skip ahead to 4:15 to see sarevok.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZjea08OmUQ
  • cloakanddaggercloakanddagger Member Posts: 111
    @HaHaCharade and it seems nearly 90% of all posts are now started by LadyEilenwhatever.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

@HaHaCharade and it seems nearly 90% of all posts are now started by LadyEilenwhatever.

Whatever when I started here I made a fair number of threads myself. It is what newcomers often do.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Back on the Beamdog board, I made literally 50% of the threads pertaining to Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. ;)
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054

They are aiming for this. Any delay which does occur will be due to the Apple authentication process rather than any delays on Beamdogs behalf.

• Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    decado said:

They are aiming for this. Any delay which does occur will be due to the Apple authentication process rather than any delays on Beamdogs behalf.
    Hurrah! :-)
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November 2012

Yeah, except her threads are the good ones right now. My vote is more threads from @LadyEibhilinRhett.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited November 2012
    I think Trent Oster tweeted some time back something to the effect that there will be no further delays. I'll see if I can find it...

Hmm, could have sworn... I guess it was a jokey reference to being out of "delay points."

But anyway, there is this interview released yesterday that suggests things are on track:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/76686/baldurs-gate-enhanced-interview-making-a-classic-better
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643

Yeah I don't see anything wrong with what she's posting. Good posts unlike all this NPC sex bullshit and people knocking on game development.
  • benighted_starlightbenighted_starlight Member Posts: 31
    edited November 2012

Hopefully they aren't fixing this bug... freaking halarious. Make sure you skip ahead to 4:15 to see sarevok.....

His PC is f@cking Jesus Christ?
    Combine it with people screaming, grunting, flying while sitting and Volo rats and you got yourself a BAD trip.
    someone should start a thread on the best bug you've encountered in the baldurs gate series
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645

someone should start a thread on the best bug you've encountered in the baldurs gate series

Carrion crawler. No wait, Sword Spider.

• IkonNavrosIkonNavros Member Posts: 227
    edited November 2012
    i would perhaps accept a new delay if it turns out that The reason for a new delay would be the fact that is not possible to have a good visual Quality beyond that 13**x*** released screenshots.

Because blurry beyond Reason Visuals at resolutions around 1920x1080 - That would be instant motivation Killer for me and would seriously piss me off!

We have 2012! At least it should be possible with Sharpening and Scaling filters to have a at least acceptable quality at that kind of resolutions.

If that still is not really possible, well, you know the way to go in that situation...

I am no screenshot fanatic, but come on, the lack of a REAL high quality screenshot makes me worry quite much lately.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345

His PC is f@cking Jesus Christ?
    Combine it with people screaming, grunting, flying while sitting and Volo rats and you got yourself a BAD trip.
    Not exactly a bug, just animations and soundsets being swapped around, like one of those seagulls flying around Candlekeep getting the "guy sitting in a chair" animation, etc.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    OMG. I laughed so hard at this, I split my sides, and I have tears running down my face. How did his install get so bollixed? Did he mess with his sound and animation files on purpose just to see what would happen?