Skip to content

NPC Shipping Thread!

Okay, so a lot of fandoms are way into shipping. But, when I read BG fanfiction or look at BG fanart, there's actually very little shipping that isn't "CHARNAME/(Insert NPC name here)".
So I started wondering--is it just that we don't ship as much as the other fandoms, or that we only canon-ship NPC's together, or if maybe we have just as many weird, cracktastic shippings as any other fandom and just choose not to share them with our fellow fans.
I have created this thread out of a burning curiousity to know which, if any, joinable NPC's in the BG series YOU ship together. It can be a pair you ship seriously, or a pair that you don't think would ever get together but you still crackship it because it amuses you. Or, anything in between. I just. I want to know.

Comments

• DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Xan and Kivan.

They can brood together in the dark.

The sexy, sexy dark.
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    I, personally, have always shipped Imoen with Garrick.
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    edited November 2012
    Hmm...Some of my NPC pairings are:
    KhalidxJaheira, XanxMoonblade, CoranxWyvernhead(When not paired up with CHARNAME I guess.), ImoenxKeldorn, and MinscxBoo.

And yes, I know that some of those aren't actually NPCs. Hah.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November 2012
    Well, I tend to think shipping is the spawn of Satan 90% of the time. All too often the way the pairing is justified starts to chip away at the heart and soul of the actual character ... or you must overlook details of the original character, etc.

Long story short most shipping is freakin' retarded because these so-called "fans" choose to ignore and/or derail details of the actual character just so they can justify some sexual fantasy of theirs'.

I mean let's see. A popular one is from Left 4 Dead 2, "Nellis." Shipping Nick and Ellis. It's extremely clear throughout the game that Nick is very straight (he constantly brags about how smooth he is with women), and Ellis is straight as well (he falls in love with Zoey). Furthermore, the two have a fun sibling-like relationship in the game, which is cute and enjoyable. Nick acts like an older brother to Ellis, trash-talking him frequently in silly ways when they know in fact that they've got each others' backs; they have trust.

But no. This friendship has to be sexual. This is why I hate shipping. We take a nice friendship and say "NO, IT MUST BE SEXUAL!!" and not only is that ridiculous, it's also extremely immature when you think about it.

From what I've seen of the Baldur's Gate community, particularly on these forums, is that a LOT of you folks are actually very mature (which is amazing btw, thank you guys). I think this is why we don't have much shipping in the Baldur's Gate games.

That said, there are, of course, several relationships within the game that are hinted at (they're usually one-sided), and a few that actually do exist. Keep in mind folks that this list will go from "totally in the game" to "implied," so don't tell me "you're taking those things way too seriously!" I'm well aware that I am. Thanks.

------
    Canon Ships:
    ------

Khalid x Jaheira
    Husband and Wife

Sarevok x Tamako
    They're an item

Eldoth x Skie
    They're an item ... a very troubled item because Eldoth is a doucher.

Aerie x Haer'Dalis
    These two actually get together. There's one point where they can break up in BGII, but you can get around it if you know what you're doing. If I recall, regardless they break up in ToB. Not entirely sure.

Coran x Safana
    One-sided for all of BG1. Coran tries making moves and Safan thinks he's irritating and silly. In BGII they are "together" (betrayal!) but umm ... yeah I like to pretend that whole thing didn't even happen, they feel so out-of-character there that it's PAINFUL.

Edwin x Viconia
    One-sided; Edwin makes moves on Viconia at one point. Viconia trash-talks him a bit, but under the circumstances is fairly merciful. Funny stuff.

Korgan x Mazzy
    One-sided; Korgan makes moves on Mazzy frequently, very unsuccessfully.

Minsc x Edwina
    One-sided. Minsc doesn't understand that Edwina IS Edwin, and thinks her forceful nature is attractive, "like the women of Rasheman" or some such if I recall correctly. It's for comedy of course, but worth mentioning.

Garrick x Skie
    Garrick hits on Skie to no avail because she's stubbornly in love with Eldoth.

Safana x Kivan
    Safana hits on Kivan, telling him "you're a very sexy man," and "I'd love to see what other skills you possess." Kivan doesn't have too much to say to this, although he isn't rude in response either, just awkward.

Ajantis x Branwen
    These two trade flattering remarks, Branwen thinks of Ajantis as a very impressive warrior and Ajantis thinks Branwen is beautiful. So it's a bit one-sided.

Yoshimo x Jaheira
    Yoshi tries hitting on Jaheira. Hint: It doesn't work.

Valygar x Mazzy
    In the words of @Wolk, "Valygar tried to hit on Mazzy, but he got squirezoned..."

------

I'm probably missing a few. Let me know.
    Post edited by Quartz on
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    Anomen & Viconia
    Off the top of my head I can't recall his dialogue but was certainly intrigued by her. I think CN Ano might stand a chance with her and she'd probably take him down a peg or two.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Yoshimo and his right hand.
    @Quartz

Yup, actually, you are missing one. One of the more prominent ones, at that.

Aerie x Haer'Dalis.
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    Pantalion said:

Edwin/Edwina (if he could).

Hahahahahaha! Brilliant :D

Pantalion said:

Branwen/Shar-Teel

...I am so glad I'm not the only one who ships this.
    edited November 2012
    I won't lie though, despite all my trash talking I do have a kink for Kivan x Viconia because I'm a hypocrite.

If BG were an action movie, it would happen, though. You always have these action movies where the male and female leads are bickering the whole movie, then about 3/4 of the way through they start making out. Just like Kivan and Viconia.

@Quartz

Yup, actually, you are missing one. One of the more prominent ones, at that.

Aerie x Haer'Dalis.

Lol you missed it, it's totally there.

Regardless, as I have not played BGII to death as I have with BG1, I'm sure there's some other (unsuccessful) flirtation I'm missing.

Btw thanks for the Insightful, now I can brag that my 69th Insightful was in the NPC Shipping Thread.

CoranxWyvernhead

This about killed me. Nice one.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    KeldornXLiracor
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866

Hmm...Some of my NPC pairings are:
    KhalidxJaheira, XanxMoonblade, CoranxWyvernhead(When not paired up with CHARNAME I guess.), ImoenxKeldorn, and MinscxBoo.

And yes, I know that some of those aren't actually NPCs. Hah.

. -c .

Photobucket

...Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    Ha! I love it. XanxMoonblade its like Assassin Creed III's ConnorxTomahawk.
  • MuroMuro Member Posts: 11
    I'm having trouble thinking up a partner for Imoen. I really do despise Imoen/Charname.

What about Imoen/Garrick? Couldn't be more different, but you know what they say about opposites...
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861

Pantalion said:

Branwen/Shar-Teel

...I am so glad I'm not the only one who ships this.
    I don't see Shar-Teel as gay; I think she's more the dominatrix type. So I ship her with with Xan or Ajantis ...
    Muro said:

I'm having trouble thinking up a partner for Imoen. I really do despise Imoen/Charname.

I always thought it would be cute but realistic if you could flirt with her a bit, and then you find out you're siblings and it's like ... ohh. This is awkward. At which point said flirting would stop dead in its tracks.

I mean come on. We're talking about two bored teenagers who grew up in a place like Candlekeep. They are pretty much the ONLY two folks in the teen age-group around there. Teenagers are often adventurous, especially sexually. Realistically, these two characters, not knowing they are siblings, would probably start fooling around on occasion if you catch my drift, so long as your character has a nice charisma score.

But no one ever approaches it all from that standpoint, so yeah, I agree with you Imoen x Charname is usually very very stupid.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @Muro

I agree with that. After all, I did mention in an earlier post that I ship Imoen/Garrick. Most adorable pairing ever.

@Permidion_Stark
    Huh. Never thought of that. I honestly don't think all that much about sexual orientation in fictional characters unless it's explicitly stated. When I do ship, it's based more on possible chemistry than anything else, and I like to focus more on the actual relationship than, well, the physical side of it.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Minsc and Boo, obviously. Doesn't matter if it's zoophilia and homosexual romance at the same time - it's still better love story than Twilight!

Now, something crazy. When I was younger and naive as hell I used to imagine Valygar and... Imoen as a couple. I think I used "opposite attract" kind of logic, if that can be called logic.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    @Quartz - That actually reminds me of a question I always have. How can Charname be 100% elf/dwarf/gnome/halfling, Imoen be 100% human, but them be related in any sense beyond some kind of weird metaphysical sense?

If she hadn't been an afterthought, it would have been a neat Chekov's gun to have her share a race with you in BG1.
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265
    Oddly enough, I can't really see any romantic pairing with Imoen either.

Then again, maybe that's because she's my little sis, and I don't think anyone's good enough for her :(
    Pantalion said:

@Quartz - That actually reminds me of a question I always have. How can Charname be 100% elf/dwarf/gnome/halfling, Imoen be 100% human, but them be related in any sense beyond some kind of weird metaphysical sense?

If she hadn't been an afterthought, it would have been a neat Chekov's gun to have her share a race with you in BG1.

Err. Bhaal took the form of whatever race he wanted. It's explained.
  • DeathMachineMiyagiDeathMachineMiyagi Member Posts: 120
    Tiax X Cyric

Sort of a cosmic sugar daddy thing.
  • WolkWolk Member Posts: 279
    Valygar tried to hit on Mazzy, but he got squirezoned....
  • revaarrevaar Member Posts: 160
    Doesn't Edwin hit on Mazzy a couple times? I recall him saying something like "there is extra room in my bedroll tonight."

I also always imagined that Minsc and Dynaheir's relationship was more than professional, or that Dynaheir at least wished it was, but Minsc was too busy sharpening his sword and grooming Boo.
  • Kristie83Kristie83 Member Posts: 259
    Ok, I must be the noobiest noob that ever noobed here, but exactly what is meant by the term shipping? Allowing NPCs to have a relationship? or is it more complicated than that with modding and stuff? I have yet to have my first playthrough so I don't know 95% of what happens in BG I'm waiting for BGEE to have my first experience...I must say I am definitely intrigued by this thread...
  • salierisalieri Member Posts: 245
    Shipping? Why is this called shipping?

I physiologically reject everything this thread stands for. I think a little bit of sick just came up.