Skip to content

What book(s) are you reading right now?

Soooo, while we wait for preload/release day... What are you guys reading currently? How is that going for you?

Currently, I am reading the "Chronicles of Amber" by Roger Zelazny, and "The Saint" by Dan Abnett. On my fiance's Nook tablet, I am reading "Clash of Kings" by George R. R. Martin.

I am a pretty slow reader, so I've been working on these for a few months. I took a break on The Saint and Clash of Kings while I work on Amber. I read about halfway through these chronicles several years ago, but never finished it. I'm giving it another go right now, and I'm fascinated by the concept of reality travel.

I don't remember where I'm at on Clash of Kings, but it's just after the intro with Melisandra.

I haven't read The Saint in a while, but last I left off, the Ghosts were iinvading a fuel refinery that had been taken over by Chaos forces. I should pick that up again... Abnett is one of my favorite writers. I'm in love with his writing style, ever since I plowed though Eisenhorn and Ravenor.
xxxsmb1987xxx

Comments

• theJoshFrosttheJoshFrost Member Posts: 171
    Currently I'm reading the Bible, funnily enough. And after that, the Qur'an. Intriguing books, though I'm not trying to get religious.

I just finished Mogworld by Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw a week or two ago, a pretty funny book. It's about an NPC being trapped in a typical MMORPG. Croshaw guy who does the Zero Puncuation videos on the Escapist's website, so if any of you like that, his book is pretty good.
    MedullaOblongata
  • eksterekster Member Posts: 234
    Vicomte de Bragelonne by Alexandre Dumas. It's the 3rd book of the three musketeers... Dumas is by far my favourite author, and is responsible for my love of reading as the three musketeers was the first big book I've read by myself (and I was only 5 back then!)

I've read the three musketeers in 3 languages, first in Russian, then in English, and now re-reading the whole series in French... definitely a great read. And the last book took my by surprise, being that it's 2000+ pages long. I've been reading this series since June and I'm usually a fast reader. :D
    MedullaOblongataCleave
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    edited November 2012
    Just finished reading "Red Country" by the excellent Joe Abercrombie (The Blade Itself etc. see: http://www.joeabercrombie.com/ ), not his best book, but still very, very good, more "low fantasy" than "high fantasy", though. Also recently re-read both books by the absolutely superb Patrick Rothuss (The Name of the Wind, Wise Man's Fear: http://patrickrothfuss.com/), if you like exceptionally well-written fantasy and you haven't read these two, so youself a favour and read these NOW! :-)

Also recently re-read the Scott Lynch "Gentleman Bastards" books (http://www.scottlynch.us/books.html ), also very, very good,
    MedullaOblongataGloktajethro
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    "The Economy of Cities" by Jane Jacobs. So uhh...obviously non-fiction.
    MedullaOblongataIxtabai
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    The last argument of kings - Joe Abercrombie
    Oxford_GuyGlokta
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I'm waiting for several FR novels to arrive in the mail, its the stuff that I mostly read.

Though I've had the urging to go dig up all the Riftwar sgaa books. I only ever read the first ones and I heard there are a lot more.
    xxxsmb1987xxxRuckus3
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    Realms books is about it for me (Im happy so nyah)

I recently finished Brimstone Angels, and have begun reading the re-edited and expanded Spellfire that Greenwood released in '02.
    Ruckus3
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    A Storm of Swords by RR Martin... and why not? heh
    jethro
    I really liked Brimstone Angels and I'm anticipating Lesser Evils. Erin M Evans writes some nice stories. Its not surprising that she was chosen to write one of the Sundering novels.

The Spellfire trilogy is ok, but, for me at least, Ed Greenwood's older books suffer a lot for having too many stuff happening at the same. Stuff just gets too confusing too easily.

I liked the changes in his writing style in the Knights of Myth Drannor trilogy and especially in his most recent Sage of Shadowdale trilogy.
    LordsDarkKnight185
  • etaglocetagloc Member Posts: 349
    Dune. by Frank herbert. trying to get past the first 50 pages, i heard it gets better, kinda like reading lord of the rings, so many descriptions
    MedullaOblongatajethro
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    just read the hunger games series. loved them. looking for something else that takes my fancy now :)
    Tanthalas said:

I really liked Brimstone Angels and I'm anticipating Lesser Evils. Erin M Evans writes some nice stories. Its not surprising that she was chosen to write one of the Sundering novels.

The Spellfire trilogy is ok, but, for me at least, Ed Greenwood's older books suffer a lot for having too many stuff happening at the same. Stuff just gets too confusing too easily.

I liked the changes in his writing style in the Knights of Myth Drannor trilogy and especially in his most recent Sage of Shadowdale trilogy.

I love Ed's older books, especially the Shadow of the Avatar trilogy, but I understand where your coming from.

Ooh speaking of Erin M Evans (And I also agree, I cant wait to see how Farideh and Havilar (Havi <3) fits into the sundering) Have you visited her blog thingy where she is doing a book giveaway?
    Yeah, I've been there. I wonder if it'll reach the last target.
    Tanthalas said:

Yeah, I've been there. I wonder if it'll reach the last target.

I doubt it. That's 155 more to go in 9 days.
  • allhailsteveallhailsteve Member Posts: 210
    I loved all the Song of Fire & Ice books! I'm re-reading Jasper Fforde's Shades of Grey at the moment. If you haven't read any of his stuff I order you to buy everything he's ever written immediately!
  • rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    at the moment reading Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist, the guy who wrote Let The Right One In. highly recommended.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Earth, Portrait of a Planet.
  • nemesisnemesis Member Posts: 49
    Im reading the Long dark tea-time of the soul, my first Douglas Adams. After that Ive just bought Dune.
    MedullaOblongataMoomintroll
  • AscerionAscerion Member Posts: 271
    Etagloc, I've read Dune multiple times. It's a great book, and definitely gets better. The main character, Paul Atreides, is heir to the Atreides House. Unfortunately, The Harkonnen House wants to kill off the Atreides altogether, to move up in the council, or even become Emperor. Paul is a badass rogue who fights with daggers and shouts at enemies with a Thu'um voice power. He becomes a sort of demi-god called the Quisatz Haderach, and leads an army to destroy the Harkonnens, free the Desert planet of Arrakis, use the sandworms dead bodies to create the water of life to basically like terraform the planet, and at one point, threatens to blow up the planet to stop the flow of spice, which the Empire is based on economically.

It's epic as all hell.

Currently reading Shannara.
    MedullaOblongatajethro
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Just re-read all of the Song of Ice and Fire saga (commuting has advantages).

Kinda scratching for something else, I'm the type of person who is happiest with a couple of books on tap.
    nemesisjethro
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Nearly finished with Steven Erikson - Forge of Darkness.

Incredibly well written, great read for anyone who loves fantasy but who are tired for the naivety in many books of the genre.
  • GreedySadistGreedySadist Member Posts: 15
    Rereading my FR books while waiting my Charon's Claw to come
    and thought about reading Silmarillion for 20th time since i have forgotten some things from it.
    Ruckus3
  • HootHoot Member Posts: 40
    edited November 2012
    I have so much to read it's unreal.

Currently halfway through Dark Tower IV : Wizard and Glass by Stephen King but have the following to read as well :-

The Hollow Hills + The Last Enchantment by Mary Stewart
    Game of Thrones Series by George R.R Martin
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
    Moby Dick by Herman Melville
    The Beach by Alex Garland

So much to read, but so little time... :P

EDIT:- Oh, and I plan to start reading the Dave Robicheaux novels again from the start, The Neon Rain is such an awesome novel.
  • Kristie83Kristie83 Member Posts: 259
    Hoot said:

I have so much to read it's unreal.

Currently halfway through Dark Tower IV : Wizard and Glass by Stephen King but have the following to read as well :-

The Hollow Hills + The Last Enchantment by Mary Stewart
    Game of Thrones Series by George R.R Martin
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
    Moby Dick by Herman Melville
    The Beach by Alex Garland

So much to read, but so little time... :P

EDIT:- Oh, and I plan to start reading the Dave Robicheaux novels again from the start, The Neon Rain is such an awesome novel.

Have you read the rest of the Dark Tower Series? If you haven't, don't stop at IV. As a matter of fact, King intended his latest Dark Tower book, The Wind Through the Keyhole, to fit in between IV and V. I am a HUGE fan of this series and have reread the whole thing at least 5 times!

Has anyone read the Hunger Games Trilogy? I loved it!
    Hoot
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

Rereading my FR books while waiting my Charon's Claw to come
    and thought about reading Silmarillion for 20th time since i have forgotten some things from it.

I've read the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings all the way through a number of times, but never once did I manage to finish the Silmarillion, just too heavy going...

• valkyvalky Member Posts: 386
    Brent Weeks - The Way of Shadows / Shadow's Edge / Beyond the Shadow

Though I spent more time on my PCs watching TV stuff/anime so I barely have time to read :P
    MedullaOblongata
  • Moonshea trilogy, the first FR novels. And they have some weirdness in them, like calling the continent Forgotten Realms instead of Fearun
  • IzrealIzreal Member Posts: 3
    Just started Dies the Fire, by S.M. Stirling
  • valkyvalky Member Posts: 386
    Darn, Forgotten Realms..that reminds me to catch up to Dragonlance or re-read my old books, which I desperately loved. But the latter books were mostly widespread to different stories and I did love the 'old' party (Caramon, Tolpan, Raistlin...).
    I think I finished reading it after the great war (though I can't really remember it anymore) where Tolpan went missing (the 'odd' mage they met every now and then) and stuff....it's ages ago since I was reading it.
    Ruckus3Teflon
  • MadmartiganMadmartigan Member Posts: 18
    S**t my dad says by Justin Halpern and the sense of an ending by Julian Barnes