Skip to content

Creating a multiplayer party

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2012
    Ascerion said:

I believe there is a (1/100) roll of the 5% wild effect that forces the game to reload it's autosave. I'm glad we will be immune to that one.

If you are referring to the flesh to stone on target unless the mage is the protagonist technically we wouldn't have to reload.

Edit: Then again I don't know what happens with those "on target" spells if you are using an aoe spell like haste. Maybe everyone would be turned to stone? (probably not but who knows).
  • xxxsmb1987xxxxxxsmb1987xxx Member Posts: 280
    Chickens 0_0
  • MiahkaiMiahkai Member Posts: 32
    Well I'm pretty set on the wild mage idea now, with everyone's support and I do think that it will create some interesting moments, or at least has the possibility to.
    elminsterLordsDarkKnight185
    @Miahkai Im totally behind your descision =)
    elminster
    hmmm just noticed you guys have a diff pre order badge then me I pre ordered back in sept but made my forum un in NOV hmmm weird mine just says BGE supporter
    Yea you get a special badge for buying before the original release date. Plus other stuff supposedly but it hasn't been revealed.
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    Ok I just checked, Half-elves can be Cleric/Mage's. That si my 100% decision ^.^
    Miahkaielminster
    I did buy it before sept 15th lol as long as I get the other stuff I dont mind =p
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    I Pre-ordered in july, so I have the silver one too.
    elminster
    If its anything like the bonus merchants in BG2 (that you originally could only get in the collectors edition) I'm sure someone will leak the bonuses for other players.
    LordsDarkKnight185xxxsmb1987xxx
    Elminster-Druid -(half-elf)-Neutral
    xxxsmb1987xxx-Fighter-(Human)-Choatic good
    LordsDarkKnight185-Cleric/Mage-(Half-elf)-Neutral good
    Ascerion-Berserker-(Half-Orc)-Neutral good
    Miahkai-Wild Mage-(Elf)-Choatic good
    MedullaOblongata-Fighter/thief-(??)-??
    LordsDarkKnight185elminster
    @elminster if its something that will change gameplay or something similar ill shoot them a email =) thank you for the info.
  • AscerionAscerion Member Posts: 271
    I think Elminster is going to take the Shapeshifter Druid kit. Are you taking one as well, xxxsmb1987xxx?

From D.Simpson on the Fighter:

Grade: B- ... Still a good class, but better off with a kit or multiclass

Best Races: Human (to dual class later), Half-Orc (for the 19 STR, CON),
    Dwarf (for the 19 CON), Elf (for the +1 with swords/bows)

Best Weapon
    Proficiencies: Long Swords or Katanas. Then take that all the way up to
    5 points. Then probably want to get 2 Weapon style. If
    not, go for Sword and Shield style for the missile defense.
    @Ascerion Im not sure yet im still thinking about that =P
    edited November 2012
    Yea I did say shapeshifter but its not a problem if you just leave it as druid. That way its very clear.

Sword and Shield style is a good idea because of its defensive benefit, so that would be a good choice. Especially for a Dwarf or Half-Orc since they get 19 Constitution.

But if you want to go for the more DPS kind of character then two weapon style or two-handed weapon are both good options.
  • AscerionAscerion Member Posts: 271
    Elminster, I had a question. The druid's rating and usefulness is not very widely regarded as positive. Is BG:EE changing that? I've read that you could become a werewolf at level 1 now. Was that not the case?

Also, I know you are an expert, and am honored to join you online. If you are choosing the druid for it's sheer difficulty, I would very much understand that. =)
    @Ascerion It depends on how you play the Char. =)
    edited November 2012
    Pff expert lol. You flatter me. I'm knee deep in ale half the time.

The original Baldurs Gate did not have kits, so the shapechanger never had to officially face this issue of whether or not you get the form at level 1. Tutu and BGT are unofficial mods that allow you to play kits in BG1, but they were not official and personally I always play vanilla (I played Tutu all the way through once).

The thing about druids is that they get access to level 5 priest spells, unlike clerics. This matters because it means not only do they get better healing spells and better summoning spells than clerics do, but they also get good defensive spells like Iron Skins. They also level up slightly faster than clerics. They have a different weapon selection (for instance on top of clubs and staffs they can use darts, scimitars and spears which clerics can't)

Now where Druids have problems is that the Cleric/Ranger basically in BG2 can get access to almost all of their spells (there are a few exceptions to this but not many) meaning that between that and a very wonky experience table they are often passed over because frankly in the second game the developers did not know what to do with them (its a long story involving the legality in D&D of having druids over level 13). But basically people don't like druids because of how they play out in BG2. They also don't get the heavy armours and heavy shields that clerics get, but with barkskin you can actually make up for some of that.

Finally Druids don't have great access to spells at certain levels, and because BG2 is underground or indoors often one of their better offensive spells (call lightning) is unusable. In BG1 it is still a very useful spell however. The avenger kit actually does a good job at addressing the lack of druid spells at different levels. Its like a druid/mage hybrid (its not what I plan on playing though).
    Ohh and plus the druid stronghold quests in BG2 are terrible enough that your soul will melt after playing them. They are pitiful (but you get the title of Great Druid...yippee).
    @ Elminster I have never played a druid as my main im assuming you only get that quest if your main is the druid? I dont think you get that quest as Jehira? (prob spelled that way wrong lol)
    You only get those two quests in BG2 if your main is a druid or you've installed certain mods.

Trust me when I say you aren't missing anything.
  • MiahkaiMiahkai Member Posts: 32
    So I guess the plan is for us not only to play through BG:EE but also BG2:EE as a group?
    Miahkai said:

So I guess the plan is for us not only to play through BG:EE but also BG2:EE as a group?

I'm not going to commit myself to something that is more than a year away lol. Don't get me wrong, I just can't guarantee anything :)

I was just discussing BG2 now because it is relevant when discussing the druid. Lots of the advice out there was written after ToB came out, when people had a clear picture on what happens to classes in BG2.
    Ill play BG2EE as well im in for the long haul here I have always wanted to play multiplayer in these games This is my fav series of all time =) I wish they would do PST as well the damn thing will not work right for me its horrible what I have played of it I love =(

Ill play BG2EE as well im in for the long haul here I have always wanted to play multiplayer in these games This is my fav series of all time =) I wish they would do PST as well the damn thing will not work right for me its horrible what I have played of it I love =(

I've played PST and I should really beat it. Its kind of like IWD2 to me. I started it I just have yet to push myself to finish it. I guess I just haven't really gotten into it enough to want to finish it.
    I get to a certain point and the game will crash everytime I cant play it without the widescreen mod because my TV hates the original resolution it looks atrocious plus most of the screen is cut off its only that game the original BG runs fine without TUTU with 640x480 im fairly certain thats PST resolution as well. How come open GL support is cut from IWD2? it works in the original IWD Im running Windows 8 Pro and you cant shut off hardware acceleration on anything above windows xp so I have weird glitchy blocks all over evertything I hope they re do all the old Infinity engine games it will fix all these problems =)
    elminster
  • MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434

@MedullaOblongata any idea of race and alignment? and what time zone are you in if you dont mind me asking?

Hiya and thank you for letting me join! :)

I thought about half-elf, but I can also play halfling too. I think I will enjoy chaotic good.

My time zone is -6 GMT!
    LordsDarkKnight185
    edited November 2012

@MedullaOblongata any idea of race and alignment? and what time zone are you in if you dont mind me asking?

I thought about half-elf, but I can also play halfling too. I think I will enjoy chaotic good.

My time zone is -6 GMT!
    Well ideally if you could play some variation on a thief (multi, single, or dual class) that would be great but play what you want.
    LordsDarkKnight185
  • MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
    edited November 2012
    elminster said:

My time zone is -6 GMT!

Well ideally if you could play some variation on a thief (multi, single, or dual class) that would be great but play what you want.
    Well, I usually play single-class, but I have seen some strong reccomendations here for fighter-thief. If that is more preferable, I will definitely research that and have 0 problems trying it out! n_n
    edited November 2012
    a single class thief would be great. We could then steal items from merchants rather than buying from them (if you put towards a high level of pickpocket). Some abilities like the thieves "detect illusion" aren't probably going to have a lot of use I'm guessing.
    MedullaOblongata