Skip to content

Baldur`s gate MEME Thread * Spoilers all over the place*

Comments

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Tuth said:

Whoa, no one is trying to change your view on games. Everyone is allowed to like any kind of game. Even if people tend to dislike DA II or D&D 4E you shouldn't treat it as an attack on you personally, or just don't read such topics. Enjoy the games no matter what the general opinion is.

Most of the time it depends on the "era" of games in which one grew up. I personally love both Torment and Fallout 1, and I don't play newest games, because I don't like their style. However, I don't rage and label them as "shit", I just avoid them, and don't rate them, there are still plenty of old games that I haven't heard of.

So, again - enjoy the games you like, and don't pay attention to negative comments.

I grew up in that same era. I enjoy BG1 just as I enjoy Fallout: New Vegas or Skyrim. It's not a generational thing that generates this hate, it's an idiot thing. The gamers growing up today are going to be the ones disparaging anything newer than Skyrim, and it's going to be equally moronic and nostalgia-driven then as it is now.

It's difficult to ignore negativity when it permeates the gaming community like a disease.
    Mungri said:

Was it bollocks.

Eh?
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    @Schneidend 'Was it bollocks' in this context means that's a load of bollocks/shit/crap/a complete fabrication.

He is saying your comment about D Age 2 being a good game is bollocks, and though you have the right to your opinion, I must agree with Mungri on this one.
    Razor
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    edited November 2012

I grew up in that same era. I enjoy BG1 just as I enjoy Fallout: New Vegas or Skyrim. It's not a generational thing that generates this hate, it's an idiot thing. The gamers growing up today are going to be the ones disparaging anything newer than Skyrim, and it's going to be equally moronic and nostalgia-driven then as it is now.

It's difficult to ignore negativity when it permeates the gaming community like a disease.

EDIT: Mostly pointless rant removed.
    Post edited by ElectricMonk on
    IchigoRXC said:

@Schneidend 'Was it bollocks' in this context means that's a load of bollocks/shit/crap/a complete fabrication.

He is saying your comment about D Age 2 being a good game is bollocks, and though you have the right to your opinion, I must agree with Mungri on this one.

Given that Mungri's English is barely decipherable - it looked like he was asking a question without the appropriate mark, or he should have said "It was bollocks," and actually made some grammatical sense - I feel pretty confident on my side of the fence.
    @jaysl659

You mistake me. I'm not referring to people who prefer Baldur's Gate over Skyrim as idiots in the general sense, only people who manage to roar nothing but vitriol about newer games and have nothing but praise for older games as though the latter was without flaw and the former is somehow objectively lesser.
    @Schneidend

Perhaps I misunderstood your point then, although the generally harsh language and the way you made your point may be partially to blame. My response may have been a bit exaggerated depending on how much I did misunderstand you, but I don't much appreciate being grouped with people that have no clue what they're talking about, and so I think your use of BG, PS:T, and Fallout fans as examples of something not at all exclusive to BG, PS:T, and Fallout may have been misleading.

On the subject of the extent to which I agree with you, and any further discussion of this should probably be on another thread (perhaps someone should make one in off-topic or something), looking at ratings and reviews on GOG.com always makes me laugh (at how ridiculous they are). Every game on that site has between a 4 and 5 star (out of 5) rating from the users, and a strong majority of the reviews are written before playing the game (i.e. "I LOVED this game back in the day, I spent countless hours... BEST GAME EVER!!").

Still, these are a certain type of people and they are in no way specific to BG or Fallout fans.
    edited November 2012
    imagehttp://qkme.me/3rx2xm

Well apparently I don't know how to post images...
    SophiaAristillius
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    sarevok57
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    jaysl659 said:

Scumbag Steve, meet Dirtbag Druid.

Lies! Balance its about the Golden mean - the middle way between two extremes, opposite vices. I think the description on TN is a bit clumsy.

MrKrisSatanButtercheeseRaistlin82CrevsDaak
    edited November 2012
    Zafiro said:

jaysl659 said:

Scumbag Steve, meet Dirtbag Druid.

Lies! Balance its about the Golden mean - the middle way between two extremes, opposite vices. I think the description on TN is a bit clumsy.

@Zafiro I know, it's all in good fun, I often play druids.

Also, if you ever play Neverwinter Nights, you may end up having to kill a few innocent NPCs to keep your alignment w/in Druid range.
This discussion has been closed.