Skip to content

What book(s) are you reading right now?

Comments

• GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood. Very scary cautionary tale and so totally believable. I'm sure many people here grew up with people like Crake.

The last volume in Tad Williams' shadowmarch series. Not as good as his Otherland books or Memory, sorrow and thorn(dragonbone chair) books but still a very enjoyable read.
  • MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
    @Gilgalahad, I had flirted with the notion of reading Tad Williams' books, but never got around to it... Are they pretty good?
  • GloktaGlokta Member Posts: 97
    Resently finished "The Blade Itself"
    Starting "Before They Are Hanged"
    Both written by Joe Abercrombie and are a part of a trilogy (+3 standalone books i belive)

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_First_Law)

Shamelessly stole my forum nickname from this...
    Oxford_Guy
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    'The Greatest Show On Earth' - Richard Dawkins
    Moomintroll
  • HootHoot Member Posts: 40
    Kristie83 said:

Hoot said:

I have so much to read it's unreal.

Currently halfway through Dark Tower IV : Wizard and Glass by Stephen King but have the following to read as well :-

The Hollow Hills + The Last Enchantment by Mary Stewart
    Game of Thrones Series by George R.R Martin
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
    Moby Dick by Herman Melville
    The Beach by Alex Garland

So much to read, but so little time... :P

EDIT:- Oh, and I plan to start reading the Dave Robicheaux novels again from the start, The Neon Rain is such an awesome novel.

Have you read the rest of the Dark Tower Series? If you haven't, don't stop at IV. As a matter of fact, King intended his latest Dark Tower book, The Wind Through the Keyhole, to fit in between IV and V. I am a HUGE fan of this series and have reread the whole thing at least 5 times!

Has anyone read the Hunger Games Trilogy? I loved it!
    Hey, I'm going through for the first time.

My Dad is a massive fan, done the same as you, read the whole thing loads of times. I'm really enjoying it. Wind Through The Keyhole was supposed to be amazing. So you would recommend I read that after Wizard and Glass?
  • jhart1018jhart1018 Member Posts: 909
    @LordsDarkKnight185 Don't read Hand of Fire. Seriously. Don't do it. Greenwood's editor should never, ever have let that book get published. I loved the original Spellfire; that was the book that introduced me to the Realms. Crown of Fire was a pretty decent sequel. Hand of Fire is one of the five worst novels I've ever read (not counting things I had to read for school).

The most recent thing I read was Damned by Chuck Palahniuk. 'Twas disappointing. I kept waiting for it to get good, and it didn't. I'm looking forward to the new Jim Butcher book coming out next week, Cold Days.
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    jhart1018 said:

@LordsDarkKnight185 Don't read Hand of Fire. Seriously. Don't do it. Greenwood's editor should never, ever have let that book get published. I loved the original Spellfire; that was the book that introduced me to the Realms. Crown of Fire was a pretty decent sequel. Hand of Fire is one of the five worst novels I've ever read (not counting things I had to read for school).

I have heard this many times, so I really don't plan on reading it.
    jhart1018
  • Kristie83Kristie83 Member Posts: 259
    Hoot said:

Kristie83 said:

Hoot said:

I have so much to read it's unreal.

Currently halfway through Dark Tower IV : Wizard and Glass by Stephen King but have the following to read as well :-

The Hollow Hills + The Last Enchantment by Mary Stewart
    Game of Thrones Series by George R.R Martin
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
    Moby Dick by Herman Melville
    The Beach by Alex Garland

So much to read, but so little time... :P

EDIT:- Oh, and I plan to start reading the Dave Robicheaux novels again from the start, The Neon Rain is such an awesome novel.

Have you read the rest of the Dark Tower Series? If you haven't, don't stop at IV. As a matter of fact, King intended his latest Dark Tower book, The Wind Through the Keyhole, to fit in between IV and V. I am a HUGE fan of this series and have reread the whole thing at least 5 times!

Has anyone read the Hunger Games Trilogy? I loved it!
    Hey, I'm going through for the first time.

My Dad is a massive fan, done the same as you, read the whole thing loads of times. I'm really enjoying it. Wind Through The Keyhole was supposed to be amazing. So you would recommend I read that after Wizard and Glass?
    Yes, I'd read the Wind Through the Keyhole after Wizard and Glass. That's where it was intended to fit, although it could also have been a stand-alone book itself. It was good, but not my favourite. Actually, I think Wizard and Glass was my favourite in the series because it delved more into the background of Roland. The Wind Through the Keyhole is more of a story within a story, (and then there's another story within that story, lol.) Confusing? Yes. I can't explain it any better without ruining it though :) The next book, Wolves of the Cala is pretty great too! The one after that, Song of Susannah was one of my least favourites, but it was still decent. The final one, The Dark Tower is awesome and wraps it all up nicely, very interesting ending. Not what you'd expect!
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Glokta said:

Resently finished "The Blade Itself"
    Starting "Before They Are Hanged"
    Both written by Joe Abercrombie and are a part of a trilogy (+3 standalone books i belive)

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_First_Law)

Shamelessly stole my forum nickname from this...

There are so many good characterisations in his books and black humour, and think they're great.
    Glokta
  • xxxsmb1987xxxxxxsmb1987xxx Member Posts: 280
    Im not reading many books anymore I have read LOTR some Forgotten Realms books, Im hoping to get alot more of them when I can find some, I have however been reading alot of the Creepy Pasta stories lately. I know there fake but they often make for a great read at 2am with all the lights off and alone =) if anyone is interested check out The gateway to the mind and The Russian sleep experiment there alot of fun =)
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615

Im not reading many books anymore I have read LOTR some Forgotten Realms books, Im hoping to get alot more of them when I can find some, I have however been reading alot of the Creepy Pasta stories lately. I know there fake but they often make for a great read at 2am with all the lights off and alone =) if anyone is interested check out The gateway to the mind and The Russian sleep experiment there alot of fun =)

Best Creepy Pasta is Ben in the LOZ Majora's Mask one...the videos that go with it is so creepy D<

(Sorry for derailing thread...umm)

Books are cool.
    Ruckus3
  • ImperatorImperator Member Posts: 154
    Game of Thrones has been on my nightstand for a few months now, about halfway through. Had to read lot of short stories for literature lectures (Joyce, Mansfield, Fitzgerald, Naipaul) and then just wanted something lighter so now re-reading Harry Potter books. Might actually finally read the last two. As for someone asking about Tad Williams, I personally enjoyed Memory, Sorrow, Thorn.
    MedullaOblongata
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    I'm currently reading Nietzsche's Beyond Good and Evil and working my way through Kurt Vonnegut's novels and stories from 1963-1973.

The last fantasy series I read was Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series.

Not sure if anyone here reads Star Wars novels, but I used to read all of them that I could get my hands on back in the day. My favorite Star Wars novels were the Grand Admiral Thrawn trilogy by Timothy Zahn, they're definitely worth checking out if you're at all interested in that sort of book, Zahn's a really good writer.
    MedullaOblongataDjimmy
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237

@Gilgalahad, I had flirted with the notion of reading Tad Williams' books, but never got around to it... Are they pretty good?

I definitely recommend both the "Memory, sorrow and thorne(dragonbone chair)" for a very good fantasy story and "Otherland" i found to be outstanding. It is a fantasy series but based in the not so distant future and VR technology and i'll say no more than that to avoid spoiling it.

@jaysl659 I'm currently reading Nietzsche's Beyond Good and Evil and working my way through Kurt Vonnegut's novels and stories from 1963-1973.

Very heady stuff but excellent reading :-)

• BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    edited November 2012
    Imperator said:

now re-reading Harry Potter books. Might actually finally read the last two.

My advice, read everything but the epilogue.

I'm currently reading A Dance with Dragons & finding...

after hearing how slow going A Feast for Crows was, that I'm not so bothered about what is happening to John Snow & Dany & instead I really rather badly need to know what is happening with Arya, Cersei & Brienne! It's good to have Tyrion's perspective back though.

Post edited by BaldursCat on
    Aristillius
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    jaysl659 said:

I'm currently reading Nietzsche's Beyond Good and Evil and working my way through Kurt Vonnegut's novels and stories from 1963-1973.

Feeling depressed yet? Good book tho.

• butcheredbutchered Member Posts: 16
    Forgotten Realms books of course.

Just finished the Cleric Quintet, now moving on with Passage to Dawn
    Ruckus3
  • KrypteiaKrypteia Member Posts: 50
    Started Ian C Esselmont's Blood and Bone last week. I'm a big fan of the Malazan series, though I slightly prefer Erikson as a writer (when he reigns in the omniscient narrator voice, that is). Still, Esselmont is doing a sterling job on following up on threads neglected in the main series, so I can't complain.

Also reading a bunch of political science/international relations/history texts, in preparation for (hopefully) pursuing my PhD next year. Top of my list is The Struggle for Mastery in Europe by AJP Taylor, Globalization Theory: A Post-Mortem by Justin Rosenberg and Global Matrix: Nationalism, Globalism and State Terrorism by Tom Nairn and Paul James.

Happy, uplifting reading for a Monday morning.
    MedullaOblongata
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    edited November 2012
    I just ordered Kant's Critique of Pure Reason and Plato's Dialogs. Was a hard choice, I had to forget about buying BG:EE. I should write Santa to bring me the game.
    Moomintroll
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    I'm re-reading the Sword of Truth series for the 4th time. So far in this read-through I've read all of them except the newest one.
    MedullaOblongata
  • OurQuestIsVainOurQuestIsVain Member Posts: 201
    I'm gonna be reading the next Dresden Files book "Cold Days" when it comes out tomorrow. That Jim Butcher is a good author.
  • Wikkid_SuhnWikkid_Suhn Member Posts: 136
    First King of Shannara, Terry Brooks. It's a prequel, not as strong as I remember Sword of Shannara to be, but I'm going to see where it leads.
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    edited November 2012
    Im readig ; Justin Bieber - My life , My success.............................. not...

Im half way in to : Dragons Of The Dwarwen Depths (DragonLance)
    Aristillius
    Just finished Dostoyevsky's Notes from Underground; now reading The Eternal Husband by the same author.
    Moomintroll
    Zafiro said:

Just finished Dostoyevsky's Notes from Underground; now reading The Eternal Husband by the same author.

What's Dostoyevsky's writing like? I was always curious, but never picked up any of his work.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    The BG:EE manuals... :D
    Kristie83
  • eksterekster Member Posts: 234

What's Dostoyevsky's writing like? I was always curious, but never picked up any of his work.

One of the best kind there is! I'm a bit biased though, and I never read the translations, only the original. But his writing pretty much hovers around the psychological struggles of people. His stories are not happy stories, nor are there really happy endings. He loves to look deep inside the human soul and heart when they're in the worst possible situations. It's pretty heavy reading overall, but also some of the best work I've ever read.
    MedullaOblongataMoomintroll
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    The Ashan Compendium, Mort (Terry Pratchett) (again) and Tantras (Scott Ciencin) (also again) :P ..
    jethro
    @ekster @Zafiro I'll have to check out some of his writing then... Any reccomendations, or just "pull whatever off the shelf"?
    @MedullaOblongata, it's tough to name only one, but I can name three: The Idiot, The Brothers Karamazov and Crime and Punishment.
    ekster