Skip to content

Extras for preorders

Comments

• bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited November 2012
    I think one of the unannounced features is going to be a new Fighter kit.
  • capricorncapricorn Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2012
    (dup, *sigh*)
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    First BGEE as Windows 7, now this. @Aosaw, you really know how to make analogies!
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @Jalily
    Stay tuned for my "Apples : Oranges :: Pick-Up Trucks : Fighter Jets" essay. It will blow your mind (in a kind of gentle breezey sort of way).
  • paulsifer42paulsifer42 Member Posts: 267
    Your analogy makes me think you think I'm twelve. Not sure if that was intentional. No matter.

But regardless, your first analogy made more sense. This party analogy would work if all we were talking about was BG getting enhanced... and if I thought only I would get it, or maybe if I thought only America would get it. The girl never promised me anything extra, and I hadn't done anything to deserve something extra.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Since I pre ordered the game, I demand that they give me a life size blow up kivan snu snu doll.
  • capricorncapricorn Member Posts: 3
    @Aosaw: If they hadn't said we (who pre-ordered before the delay announcement) would get anything extra, I wouldn't necessarily be expecting it. But they did say it:

"To all who have pre-ordered, we ask for your patience as we move toward our final release date -- and we will be working on something a little extra for you."

Selfish? No, just expecting what we were told to expect.

I don't have great expectations. How about a picture of the dev team emailed to all of us, saying "Thanks" ? It's the thought that counts. Or, yes, a pony would be great too. (Basically a walking bag of holding, right?)
    Twelve?

Man, I wish I got invited to parties when I was twelve. For me the party scene was high school. You must have been a much cooler seventh-grader than I was.

Incidentally, that's exactly it. Except that you did do something to deserve something extra. Because remember that time when she asked if she could borrow a pen during Math class and you totally let her borrow one? And maybe you thought that this meant she'd want to spend some quality alone time with you on Friday, which was probably contributed to by the fact that she invited you to her house right after Math class that day when the pen thing was probably still fresh in her mind. And maybe she prefaced the invitation with "Thank you SO much for lending me your pen; I don't know how I would have finished that test without it!"

But the situation here is more or less the same. They apologized for the delay, and as a way of extending that apology more directly to the people who preordered, they said they were "working on something extra". Not "promised to give you something as a bonus for preordering".

If you want something exclusive, there's the fact that you were able to pre-load the game an entire week in advance, meaning that when the release launches you'll be first in line to play and won't have to wait for the servers to give you your product. You've also been able to listen to the new voice sets and preview the new cinematics.

What more do you want from her? She already ordered a pizza and put all the best songs on her iPod speakers! A girl can only do so much!
  • Kristie83Kristie83 Member Posts: 259
    One thing that isn't being taken into consideration here, is that the pre-order was only available for PC users. I pre-ordered for the PC, but I hardly think its fair for only us to be rewarded when nobody else had the option to pre-order. I'll let @Aosaw make the analogy for this one though, he's the champion analogizer!
    You're expanding on the worse analogy. When I lent her that pen she didn't lean over and say, "Hey, since you lent me that pen, you can come over to my house for a little something Friday night." She just borrowed the pen.

Read Capricorn's post. The quote is there, and it shows there he obviously directed it at those who preordered.
    edited November 2012
    Okay, so there's this castle at the top of a mountain, but the castle's gates only open onto the western slopes, and the peasants who live on the eastern slopes want to... Nah, y'know what? Time to quit while I'm ahead. No more analogies for today.

I swear, this is just like that time that I found that fifty-dollar bill on the sidewalk right as I was passing the homeless shelter during the blizzard during my cross-country trek with my good friend the one-armed pirate name Jenkins...

EDIT: Okay, I've re-read the quoted passage. Although now it seems more like, the girl invited you over to her house to watch a movie, and then realized that it was a movie a lot of other people might like to see as well, so she invited them too.

And she let you come over early to help set up, and also watch all the special features on the DVD before anyone else got there.

The analogy was so much better before it got muddled in details...
    @Aosaw Don't let me down here! I know you can do it!
    Kristie83 said:

@Aosaw Don't let me down here! I know you can do it!

Amen! I wanna hear about this castle.
    @Aosaw Oh, and the 12 years old thing was because you said my parents had to drive me. If I'm in high school, why are they driving me?
    I didn't have a driver's license until I was in college, so my parents had to drive me everywhere.

The "you" in the analogy was clearly supposed to be me, apparently...
    It's like hearing a translated joke, meaning gets lost somehow. At any rate, l hope you're writing about the castle.
    Aosaw said:

Okay, so there's this castle at the top of a mountain, but the castle's gates only open onto the western slopes, and the peasants who live on the eastern slopes want to... Nah, y'know what? Time to quit while I'm ahead. No more analogies for today.

I swear, this is just like that time that I found that fifty-dollar bill on the sidewalk right as I was passing the homeless shelter during the blizzard during my cross-country trek with my good friend the one-armed pirate name Jenkins...

EDIT: Okay, I've re-read the quoted passage. Although now it seems more like, the girl invited you over to her house to watch a movie, and then realized that it was a movie a lot of other people might like to see as well, so she invited them too.

And she let you come over early to help set up, and also watch all the special features on the DVD before anyone else got there.

The analogy was so much better before it got muddled in details...

Does this girl ever put out? Geez what a tease, lol! :D
    Another time, perhaps. I've got dragons to slay, princesses to save, @Jalily's new favorite NPC to write, and also a day job to get to in about eight hours.

Ping me tomorrow, and I'll see what I can do. The East-Slopers are called Antislopes, by the way.
  • R0GUER0GUE Member Posts: 27
    I think the best part of the original analogy was that you put on Axe Body Spray. That's the closest so far you've done in portraying the sadness of no extra content. ;)
  • RavenXRavenX Member Posts: 86
    I heard the pre-order bonus is a promise to get everything Beamdog ever makes from this day forward for FREE!!!

:P J/K
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    This topic has taken a sudden turn for the awesome. *bookmarks*
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    This is the best on-topic off-topic'ing I've seen in a while.
  • alkaiseralkaiser Member Posts: 29
    edited November 2012
    "To all who have pre-ordered, we ask for your patience as we move toward our final release date.We will be working on something a little extra for you. To all who have volunteered, we thank you for your dedication and support."

I wish I didn't care about this, but unfortunately I do. Only because of what Trent said. So, as @paulsifer42, I am not as happy as I could be. Baldur's Gate is my favourite game since I was 15, when it was released in 1998. I always hoped for something like this, and I pre-ordered as soon as I get the chance... So I was counting the days for the release of BGEE... I was very disappointed when I saw that they wouldn't release the game on September 18th, only 2 months later and announcing that 2 days before the deadline. Still, I didn't say anything, I know how hard this process is for a company (especially a small one - even with excellent professionals) because I work in the same area, here in Brazil... And that is understandable.

But what is right is right. When Trent said that they were working on something a little extra for those that pre-ordered, he created some expectation on people that pre-ordered.

Once you promise something, you have to keep it.

I'm fine with everybody getting free stuff and all (both that pre-ordered and those who didn't), but that is something different from what Trent said before.

I don't think this is a big deal, but one should not say something that they don't intend to do later.

To be honest, I think that a great solution would be: Give like 2 DLCs free for everybody, but 3 for those who pre-ordered the game, for example.

I understand all the reasons of those who don't pre-ordered. But I have my share of problems with money and I made some effort to pay for this, and I didn't care about the U$2.00 discount. I was happy to support the team that is making one of my dreams to come true.

(Obs. U$20.00 is one thing for those of you who live in the US or are paid in dollar, but for some of us that price is a little different. Don't get me wrong - it is still a great price and worth it to pay, I m just saying that as those that don't pre-ordered have their reasons for that, those that made their efforts to pre-order deserve something extra indeed.)

Though I agree with @Kristie83 that the pre-order was only available for PC users and that's not fair with the others that didn't have the chance... Still, I want to buy the iPad version too, and I wouldn't mind to pay for the DLCs and extras.

Hmmmm... This post looks like I'm more concerned with this than I'm really is. All I want is that the time to play arrives soon. In fact, the idea that they could allow those that pre-ordered to play a few hours before would be rewarding enough to me.

Oh, and of course that I'll pre-order BG2EE, no doubt about that. :D

(I hope I didn't make many mistakes on this text and that I made myself clear enough)
  • eksterekster Member Posts: 234
    I continue to demand a pony animal companion for the rangers! I do not care if it's thrown in as a DLC, an easter egg or anything else... but if I do not see that pony, I shall drive to the west coast and stage a protest! And I bet a lot of others will be willing to join me.

Your hear that devs? We will have our ponies!
  • Greenman019Greenman019 Member Posts: 206
    I'm too lazy to read through the whole thread but how are "pre-order extras" and "ponies/Lend pen=Party" linked?
  • eksterekster Member Posts: 234
    You have to read the whole thing.

It's like asking how is Smeagul, the ring and Frodo are related... you don't sum up the LotR! You have to read the whole thing. And neither can you sum up this thread.
  • DarksheerDarksheer Member Posts: 84
    Its quite annoying how greedy and selfish some people are... the game was delayed for us all not just for the pre-orderers. You actually didn't even lose anything... still getting the game at a bargain price + extra enhancements and bugfixes that have been added during this delay.

I've always thought pre-ordering as something to encourage and support the developers, not something I should necessarely benefit, although the badge is nice. :)

I hope this foolishness soon ends as the game is released.
  • AlanethAlaneth Member Posts: 1
    Fully agree with Alkaiser..couldn't have said it better. It's not about expecting some trophy for having pre-ordered, but about receiving what was promised (and had been unasked for).
    Anyhow..for those of us in Europe, it's boring to have to wait for the evening!
  • Vonbek777Vonbek777 Member Posts: 135
    I'm disappointed about the little extra quote. I was thinking it would be something in the vein of a bonus merchant that would later become activated for all, but exclusive for pre-orders in the short term. To me the little extra was put out there to calm down the community and act as a little salve given the manner of the postponement. Now I'm having silly pre-orderer, tricks are for kids vibes.
    Still very much looking forward to the game, planning to buy more copies of BG EE, and the games coming down the line.

As for the party metaphor above, perhaps a little psychology about your target buying audience. The wife and I aren't party people. We're one on one role playing nerds who like exclusivity and attention to detail.

Damn, and I had hoped the golden pantaloons might have been upgraded and worn by a certain Space Hamster. ;)

Disappointed for sure, but I won't take it personally, it seems to be a static attribute of current societal norms (channeling Xan).