Skip to content

Chronic restarters

2»

Comments

• ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    Yeah, for this reason, I never got very far in Baldur's Gate those many years ago. I have the same problem with MMORPGs. For EE, I'm trying to choose between a Swash/Fighter, Avenger, or a Berserk/Druid . . . I really want to actually play the game this time, so hope I choose correctly lol
    Moomintroll
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    @ElysianEchoes I think It's especially hard with MMORPGs, at least the few I've played. You get lots of new quests, a good amount of attention is played to your character by NPCs and of course you level up really fast, which gives you a rapidly changing character, which is really fun.
    T2av
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    edited November 2012
    @Moomintroll, I find MMORPGs to be especially easy, and most are unpolished to say the least. I played WoW about 4 years. You get to know almost every quest possible by hand. The hardest part was breaking away from it; it is fun, fun and unhealthy.
    Moomintroll
    @Zafiro I only played WoW for a couple of years, the low levels were so much fun, it seemed to get more boring the higher level you got. Yet everyone raved on about the end game content, never really went there.

The gameplay in WoW is just fantastic I really loved how everything worked, if only it had been a single player game :(
    @Moomintroll, low level gameplay and end content depends on the expansion set; the original game was great, TBC was grand, WotLK not so much. And, you have to go PvP for a better experience; defend/raid Stormwind/Orgrimmar, etc.
    edited November 2012
    @Zafiro I did a lot of battlegrounds in WoW and enjoyed them. However, I played Warhammer Online for a while and the PVP there absolutely outclassed the WoW battlegrounds (I never did arena), it was just superb.

Not only that but the people were nicer. WoW was totally full of hate, but playing a healer in Warhammer was like being a hero, people would thank you and stick with you and all sorts, it was great. I've had exceptions in both games, but Warhammer was definitely a happier place.

-Edit, which reminds me..
    In WoW the standard complaint was We (Alliance or Horde) suck, because all you guys on my team can't play properly/ are shit/ whatever. But whenever I checked my statistics, the win:loss ratio was 50:50, just a bad attitude game.
    @Moomintroll, yeah, you had to find a server with nice people; my main toon was a Restoration Druid, and there were times when people had my back in battle, but you had be an "elite" to get noticed and respected.
    MoomintrollT2av
  • mister_motownmister_motown Member Posts: 2
    I restart all the time, I want to try new things. Don't feel guitly: they made one story line, and they made like a million different class/races/kits to choose from. There is a reason why they did that, it's all good.
    MoomintrollT2av
  • RagingCeltikRagingCeltik Member Posts: 6
    It's a sickness, I swear. I've *never* beaten Baldur's Gate 1 or 2 because I can't help but restart. I think level 6 is the highest I've ever gotten one character...lol I'm determined this time, though. No Restarting!
    MoomintrollrexregT2av
  • Aris4lifeAris4life Member Posts: 103
    It's a mixture dependent on my mood :D
    Moomintroll
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    LOL - I've already restarted BG:EE three times. Tried a skald, didn't like the short range of bardsong without Rogue Rebalancing, didn't want to face Tarnesh without Remove Fear.

Started a cleric - had no way to identify a new magic belt that dropped. Wanted mage spells.

Started a mage-cleric. Maybe the third time's the charm?
    Moomintrollrexreg
  • casezulucasezulu Member Posts: 11
    I am a chronic restarter, yet BG and BG 2 were both exceptions, I played both all the way through without starting over.
    Moomintroll
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    ARGHHHH I haven't even gotten to Nashkell yet and I am already fighting the urge to restart!
    MoomintrollBelgarathMTH
    @Mlnevese keep going! early restarts are the worst, get bored of that initial content and future replays become screwed!
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    I usually start over a couple times around the beginning, but around the time I reach Nashkel I tend to stick with the game.
    Moomintroll
  • OssoryOssory Member Posts: 56
    I guess it's a good thing other people suffer from this sickness as well. In a very weird way I feel a bit relieved. It's a warm and fuzzy feeling, yet at the same time very auto-repulsive. Kind of like masturbating in the park in front of a squirrel and feeling both guilty and positively sozzled. Hm.

PS. I babysit for free, PM me if you're interested.
    Moomintroll
  • eksterekster Member Posts: 234
    I barely have time to play and have already restarted BGEE 11 times.

I keep telling myself 'ooh, I want to play that class. Ooh, I want to play evil to get that character. Ooh, I want to play good to get that character. Ooh, I want that class now. Ooh, I want to play neutral to get those characters. Ooh, how about that class dueled to this class...'

It won't end! >:(
    OssoryMoomintrollBelgarathMTHRnRClown
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited December 2012
    Maybe we should ask for the lawful chaotic good neutral evil alignment and the omniclass to be implemented in the next release :)

Ohh and unlimited party size so we can grab all npcs ;)
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    I do actually chronicly restart but sometimes it's becuase I died in a no reload game so I chose "something different" -

Thats becuase I came to realize that restarting can be a good thing - I played numerous characters through parts of BG2 for almost 18 months before finishing it and the good thing was when I did finish there were still parts of the later game that were unknown and still "fresh" for me even though I knew the early game intimately, That gives the game outstanding longevity for me so I did the same with NWN2.

I also usually have good intentions to go back and finish games that I just left behind in order to go try my latest new character idea but the fact is that I don't get around to it very often - or I do finally get around to it and discover I can't remember what I did or didn't do and no longer feel attached enough to the group to make it fun so I walk away again but the upside is I enjoyed taking the character/group as far as I did so why fuss over it.

I've already started two cleric/thief that I have yet to move past the start of Chap 1 - an elven archer that got to Beregost and a FMT thats finished Nashkel & Gnoll Fortress and I was thinking today might be a good time to think about a new party and roll up the protagonist before work...

Moomintroll
    Sounds like a classic case to me, @Wanderon !
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    Awesome thread, I feel more normal now. I continuously restart. Sometimes for trivial reasons like my archer's hair colour doesn't match his backstory. Or sometimes important reasons like I accidentally got Imoen chunked when I mistook an Ogre for a treasure chest.

I think a big thing that makes BG great is the challenge offered to low-level characters. In most games, the low levels suck, because you're underpowered and can't use great equipment. I'd argue the low levels are the most rewarding in BG - at least for me - because there's so much danger. You really have to pay attention, work hard and be creative to win some battles.
    Moomintroll
  • OssoryOssory Member Posts: 56
    Silence said:

Awesome thread, I feel more normal now. I continuously restart. Sometimes for trivial reasons like my archer's hair colour doesn't match his backstory.

I'm pretty sure you can change your character's hair colour without restarting the game :P
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    Yup. But one of these days (preferably this winter break) I will play the game the entire way through, and it will be glorious.
    MoomintrollOssoryBelgarathMTH
  • old_jolly2old_jolly2 Member Posts: 453
    Well , for replays , I restart too often and got bored... But for the first play , I restart a little to check for the fitting as I don't like walkthroughing "a game" , though I did some of it at past.

A game developped should bear that in mind , not the only way , but a good example is Divine Divinity , and some alike Path of Exile , that the structure is open for possibilities to branch out.