Skip to content

BG:EE Positive Criticism Thread

Hey guys,

So like everyone else, i just started a new adventure in the greatest RPG of all time. And while i can barely contain my excitement for this wonderful treasure that was gifted to us, we must still remain objective and do our best to further improve it.

I only just started, but a couple of minor things i'd like to point out that seem to stick out, and not in a positive way:

The footsteps of your party are too loud! Like you can literally imagine a herd of horses trampling non-stop while you move around. I know i can turn down the sounds effects volume slider, but then i won't be able to hear the other sounds effects properly. I think they should be tuned down in the following patch.

The second one, maybe there is already an alternative for it, but i couldn't find it in options. Namely the double circles of individual colors that show up when u select certain characters. I much prefer the old/non-ostentatious style.

It also feels like sometimes your main character doesn't respond to initial command. Like i have to click several times to get him/her to engage in conversation or attack someone.

That's it for now, everyone else feel free to add more things that they feel could be improved upon. Let's have a great time and keep things positive guys!

Comments

• ImperatorImperator Member Posts: 154
    1. Couldn't find a way to make the bastard walk faster, there's no config.
    2. New sound sets sound, well, different, as in different quality.
    3. I'm too tired to play the game right now, this is a major issue.
  • Bynary_FissionBynary_Fission Member Posts: 202
    edited November 2012
    My only issue at the moment is that I can't set the framerate to 60. Having had it at 60 for almost a decade now, 30 seems extremely slow to me.
    Yemeth
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    First off; I'm at the Friendly Arm Inn and loving it so far. The lack of loading times is, for some reason, such a damn relief despite them only being 2 seconds normally.

Suggestions;
    1) Walk speeds could really be upped a fair bit, they're reeeeally slow.
    2) My scroll wheel doesn't work in the journal screen to scroll text and the slider to the right doesn't go too smoothly either.

Bonus note: The addition of a cleric at Candlekeep's door to cast Cure Light Wounds instead of Gorion is SUCH an improvement. I didn't even know it bothered me until I saw the guy and I was like OH RIGHT. Excellent.
    Risingsun
  • hummer010hummer010 Member Posts: 95
    My only criticism so far: It takes a lot of clicks to close the game.
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    edited November 2012
    @Imperator

You can edit the Frame Rate in the Baldur.ini file, which is in the windows documents file.... I recommend you use Wordpad (Formatting is a hell of a lot easier to read)..

Edit to include @bynary_fission
  • AlexDeLargeAlexDeLarge Member Posts: 273
    edited November 2012
    I found a couple more things. After exiting the game and re starting it (load autosave), none of my character have selection circles anymore. Also when i click on a waypoint, i dont get the little cross dot thingy that shows me where i'm actually going.

Another minor one: The help button on the bottom left of the screen, when u tab on it for description, it actually says Rest instead of Help. So there's 2 buttons that say Rest, next to each other.

Edit: Yeah, turns out my selection circles are completely gone. I restarted the game 3 times, started new games, loaded old ones. I got no character selection circles and no waypoint indicators anymore. Wtf?
    RavelRisingsunSophia
  • Jared4242Jared4242 Member Posts: 130
    I am only on the Coastway (Arguing with Montaron on who should keep the secret diamond *spoiler)
    , but here's what I've noticed:

1) I could hear the ocean from the opposite side of the Lions way map (where you meet Xzar and Montaron)

2) The addition of some more graphical settings would not go amiss.

That's it for now, lots of fun thus far. Well done guys :D
  • etaglocetagloc Member Posts: 349
    i have has soo many problems getting this game downloaded... okey so i preload the game at1.3 gigs. next update til 1,8 makes the launcher do a program not responding. sigh if i cant even open the thing i se no other way but to delete and start over. fine that worked... well now its the 28¨th.. 25mb's remaining ... same fing problem... i give up delete game again..dl the beam dog client.. nice 50 kps speed.. sigh..i then notice the p2p option in the client.. i wing it off.. nice program not responding...trying 1 more time in the client.. but this has seriusly been the worst downloading experience ever...
    i'v never had to deal with problems like this on my computer.. this is just so amazingly bad.
    sorry.. but i am tired and kinda mad right now, so excuse my mad typeing and bad english..i want to fing play this.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited November 2012
    hummer010 said:

My only criticism so far: It takes a lot of clicks to close the game.

I just switch to the desktop, right-click, and close.
    DeeEleutheros
  • Stargazer5781Stargazer5781 Member Posts: 183
    The game's effing beautiful. A few bugs here and there but I'm sure that'll be fixed. Mad props on Gorion's new spells in his final battle. Love the new voice acting too. Aside from occasional crashes I think this is an enormous improvement over the original and I'm very glad I bought it.

I agree with the footsteps being too loud. I entered the friendly arm inn and with all the NPCs walking around at once in addition to my party it sounded like the village had assembled a mob, but it was just like 7 people.

I feel like the opening menus are a little too busy, but that could just be my aesthetic taste.

If it would be possible to click down the shop menus a little more rapidly that would be nice.
  • BorsookBorsook Member Posts: 152
    the game is still missing many features that IWD2 had:

1. If you equip a shield you can't equip a two handed weapon in another slot

2. you can't configure the buttons e.g. using more of them (or less) for spells, items etc.

3. The difficulty setting still only changes the damage done, so if you get a lot of armour and avoid being hit this does not do anything

4. the black pits are separated from BG...
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    edited November 2012
    Haven't gotten far in the game so I just have some comments on the interface so far:

1. Uneven graphical quality - crisp in some places blurry in most
    2. Unable to customize keyboard hotkeys (never mind, found it in the options screen)
    3. Item icons gets smaller when picked up instead of larger
    4. Alt+F4 doesn't exit game
    Post edited by dib on
  • XylusXylus Member Posts: 6
    I found a bug at the Candlekeep Inn when trying to buy stuff. The item cost doesn't show up right, instead of a number, it's and I have to deduce the cost from changes in total cost

Am I the only one experiencing this?
    Found a workaround for the missing selection circles and waypoint indicators. It's directly correlated to screen flickering when u start BG:EE. If you see your screen flicker after launch, you will have missing selection circles, missing fog of war, and unable to move properly around the map. What you do is switch the game into windowed mode and then quit game. Restart game and it should be fine, u can turn it back on to fullscreen and everything should be normal. Hope this helps.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Xylus said:

I found a bug at the Candlekeep Inn when trying to buy stuff. The item cost doesn't show up right, instead of a number, it's and I have to deduce the cost from changes in total cost

Am I the only one experiencing this?

No i get this too
  • LuciusDeiLuciusDei Member Posts: 31
    edited November 2012
    dib said:

Haven't gotten far in the game so I just have some comments on the interface so far:

1. Uneven graphical quality - crisp in some places blurry in most

I came to post this, too. The text goes so blurry some times that I can't really read it. It's more often blurry than crisp.

EDIT: What seems to happen is when you click on something everything crisps up, then it quickly starts to fade and blur. For example I look at the chat box. I click on the scrolling icon and all the text goes crisp, then over 5 seconds it starts to blur. If I click it again it crisps, and then starts to blur again.

Trying to read the text whilst it's blurred really strains your eyes :(
  • XylusXylus Member Posts: 6
    BTW, is there a way to import my own portrait for CHARNAME? I can't seemed to find the folder to do that
  • DerrDerr Member Posts: 3
    Xylus said:

BTW, is there a way to import my own portrait for CHARNAME? I can't seemed to find the folder to do that

Go to your documents folder on desktop. Inside the documents folder should be "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edtion." Go inside it and create a folder called "Portraits" and that should do it.

But the picture dimensions in the manual are wrong, and from browsing the forum supposedly the new dimensions are:

Large Portrait: 210x330
    Medium: 169x266
    Small: 54x84

Source: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/6819/manual-discrepancies/p1
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    For blurry text, if you have an Nvidia graphics card reset all options to default.
    If you aren't seeing the GP for items, are you using a Windows system locale set to English? Someone else reported this in the bug forum and I had it also. If you set to locale to English and restart that should clear up that problem.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    edited November 2012
    Oh, and for a positive: voice set female 5, the line when you are seriously wounded -

'I've got the world's biggest ouchie!'

Best line I've heard in the game outside of anything Minsc says.

...oh, and another thing: CHARNAME's lines are subtitled just like everyone else's now if you have that option enabled. It used to be you got the text for everyone else in the world but not you. Glad to see that was made consistent
    Sophia
  • LuciusDeiLuciusDei Member Posts: 31

For blurry text, if you have an Nvidia graphics card reset all options to default.

That worked perfectly! Thanks.
  • theJoshFrosttheJoshFrost Member Posts: 171
    1. When in the inventory screen, the bottom half of the screen is just blank nothingness. Actually, a lot of things are too small in my opinion. The text, the portraits to the side, etc. Everything seems so tiny.

2. Having to left click to attack instead of right click.

3. The default for a new screen is zoomed out fully. No thanks.

4. Personal issue, but my custom sound set isn't working properly? He'll say one thing for when I click to move him, and doesn't respond to selection or anything else. The files are named properly and everything, they work with original BG. That's a strange bug.

Other than those miniscule things, it's awesome.
    Risingsun
    Something else, which is apparently minor, but i feel ruins the immersion quite a bit. The cutscenes, especially the candlekeep intro text, seem too rushed. Like there is literally no fade in, no downtime, to allow for the atmosphere to set in. I remember in the original you could hear the music first, for a good few seconds, the text screen was empty, and just when u were getting into the atmospheric mood, then the text and narrative would kick in. I would love to see this technique reverted.

Along the same lines, when a NPC wants to talk to you in EE, they do it instantly and from afar, instead of the old way of walking next to you then starting to talk.
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036

Along the same lines, when a NPC wants to talk to you in EE, they do it instantly and from afar, instead of the old way of walking next to you then starting to talk.

In which case did you see this happen? In my game, Imoen and Elminster both walk up to you to initiate conversation in Candlekeep/Lion's Way/Coast Way.

Zeckul said:

In which case did you see this happen? In my game, Imoen and Elminster both walk up to you to initiate conversation in Candlekeep/Lion's Way/Coast Way.

Their greetings are from afar. Like for example, when Imoen see me, she shouts "Heya!" from half a screen away.
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    Oh, that's inherited from the BG2 engine. Not a bug afaik.

Aren't you supposed to be in bed? :P
    Oh, ok then.

Unfortunately, 2 hours is all i get to sleep, seeing as i have to give a law presentation.. :(
  • pklooppkloop Member Posts: 113
    Fix the scrolling on the inventory bar..

ie: when selling something you cannot wheel through your inventory..its tedious to get it to scroll and often times I just sold a few things at a time to get my inventory to move down--yeah minor complaint but...
    HexHammer