Skip to content

Press Play, Game Crashes

Comments

• RigowenRigowen Member Posts: 10
    Running into the same issue as everyone else. None of the compat modes work for me.

Windows 8 Pro
    Intel i7 3630
    16 gb ram
    GTX 680m
    1920x1080

• RhanRhan Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2012
    A little different version of the same problem. I use windows 8 however, the game starts (no intros) it even lets me create a character :P, but refuses to start playing, crashes and windows report the following problem:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: baldur.exe
    Application Version: 0.1.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 50b66b64
    Fault Module Name: StackHash_5861
    Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: PCH_72_FROM_ntdll+0x00041318
    OS Version: 6.2.9200.2.0.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 1032
    Additional Information 1: 5861
    Additional Information 2: 5861822e1919d7c014bbb064c64908b2
    Additional Information 3: dac6
    Additional Information 4: dac6c2650fa14dd558bd9f448e23afd1

I have tried almost every possible combination of compatibility mode, but nothing seems to work. I suspect it is a problem concerning the graphics card (having no intros and problems when entering the actual graphical section). I hope they fix that really soon, I have waited too long for this game...

Here are my cards' specs:

Name ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1)
    PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_95C4&SUBSYS_02541028&REV_00\4&13E82272&0&0008
    Adapter Type Not Available, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. compatible
    Adapter Description ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1)
    Adapter RAM 256,00 MB (268.435.456 bytes)
    Installed Drivers aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64
    Driver Version 8.97.10.6
    INF File atiilhag.inf (ati2mtag_M72 section)
    Color Planes Not Available
    Color Table Entries Not Available
    Resolution Not Available
    Bits/Pixel Not Available
    Memory Address 0xE0000000-0xEFFFFFFF
    I/O Port 0x0000EE00-0x0000EEFF
    Memory Address 0xF6DF0000-0xF6DFFFFF
    IRQ Channel IRQ 4294967294
    I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB
    I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF
    Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF
    Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\atikmpag.sys (8.14.1.6264, 352,00 KB (360.448 bytes), 25/7/2012 11:23 μμ)
  • zdufordzduford Member Posts: 5
    Have tried all of the above, I have been able to access the main screen, and build a character, but as soon as i get the prologue and hit DONE it changes to a white screen, with the familar sounds of birds chirping, and then crashes....

MacBook Pro
    Bootcamp Windows7 Sp1
    16Gb Ram
    120Gb SSD
    i5-3210M @ 2.50Ghz
    Intel HD 4000
  • SkydreeSkydree Member Posts: 36
    After stopping to tweak and try and find a way, I try one last time. Game works. :jackiechanbrainfulloffucks"

I dearly wish that folks can get in game, just the movie and in character creation has me chilling in glee.
  • wojtekwojtek Member Posts: 311
    :Problem Event Name APPCRASH
    Application Name: Baldur.exe
    Fault Module Name: atioglxx.dll
    Fault Module Version: 6.14.10.10243
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4ca29cbc
    Exception Offset: 00038232
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1045
    additional info 1: 9c12
    2: eebbdb0c8a52c5ef97097898e9dbe052
    3: afa6
    4: fee0aac4a93011d216ae1650c9368aa8

i have this
  • greenmonstergreenmonster Member Posts: 10
    I'm running windows XP (SP3) and having the same crash issue.
    AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+
    3 G RAM
    GeForce 9800 GT

Any ideas?
    I tried mucking with the compatibility but my only modes ate Windows NT (SP5), Win 2000, Win 98, Win 95. None seemed to help.
  • StitchWitchStitchWitch Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2012
    Processor: AMD Phenom II X2 545
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 4800 series

Every time I click play in the launcher, I get a "baldur.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" message.

EDIT: And yeah, I've tried going right to the folder and clicking the baldur.exe thing, and moving it to C: and running as admin and all that. But like the poster above, I'm in XP so the compatibility modes are only for older versions of Windows.
  • John_1John_1 Member Posts: 3
    Crash as soon as i attempt to play. No help from changing directories, running as admin, or running in any compatibility mode (have tried about 8 flavours). I assume there was minimal testing judging by the posts.

Hopefully the devs will post something to let us know they plan to fix things.
  • AlesthesAlesthes Member Posts: 46
    wojtek said:

:Problem Event Name APPCRASH
    Application Name: Baldur.exe
    Fault Module Name: atioglxx.dll
    Fault Module Version: 6.14.10.10243
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4ca29cbc
    Exception Offset: 00038232
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1045
    additional info 1: 9c12
    2: eebbdb0c8a52c5ef97097898e9dbe052
    3: afa6
    4: fee0aac4a93011d216ae1650c9368aa8

i have this

Me too!

I have EXACTLY this same Windows Error report after most crashes. Otherwise the screen just goes black and freezes.

Following an advice found on these forums, I started Windows in compatibility mode. The game actually launched this time, but it froze immediately after character creation. Apparently many other players are haviing the same.

I am using an ATI Radeon HD 4670 and my drivers are all updated.

Please help...
  • RekiaRekia Member Posts: 2
    I know a lot of people have posted similar things, but this is how I got it to work after having this exact problem:

First I moved the "Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition" folder from Program Files (x86) to OS (C:) (so that it is not in any program files folder anymore), then I found the BGEE.exe application and clicked properties. I changed it to run in compability mode: Window's Vista Service Pack 1, and "Run as Administrator", like many people have suggested.

If I right click the BGEE.exe icon that is in the "Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition" folder and choose "Run as Administrator, it will run for me. If i just try to double click it normally, it will not work, if I try to use the desktop icon, it will not work.

I found this solution on another forum and it has allowed me to play the game, I hope it helps some of you.
    edited November 2012
    Rekia said:

I know a lot of people have posted similar things, but this is how I got it to work after having this exact problem:

First I moved the "Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition" folder from Program Files (x86) to OS (C:) (so that it is not in any program files folder anymore), then I found the BGEE.exe application and clicked properties. I changed it to run in compability mode: Window's Vista Service Pack 1, and "Run as Administrator", like many people have suggested.

If I right click the BGEE.exe icon that is in the "Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition" folder and choose "Run as Administrator, it will run for me. If i just try to double click it normally, it will not work, if I try to use the desktop icon, it will not work.

I found this solution on another forum and it has allowed me to play the game, I hope it helps some of you.

I think we are facing two different issues which have the same outcome: crash at launch.
    The solutions you are suggesting are probably working when the error message you receive has the line:
    "Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll" (This should be a Windows driver)
    Personally I tried all that but nothing changes for me. I bet it's the same for those who, like me, get an error message that has the line:
    "Fault Module Name: atioglxx.dll" (This should be an ATI Graphic Card driver)

I am glad you found a solution to your problem, nonetheless. :)

• DukeOfSuffolkDukeOfSuffolk Member Posts: 22
    You people need to say if you are using XP or Vista or 7. I have XP and there are very few people talking about things that make sense for XP.
  • ModernKnightModernKnight Member Posts: 3
    Is anyone running into a white screen and 'Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.'???? I'm running Windows 7
  • AzureblazeAzureblaze Member Posts: 22
    My full crash log is pasted in myt original post back on page 1.. still have the issue! It happens when clicking play. Have tried run as admin/compatiblity modes/moving to C: and all manner of things.
  • DolarrahDolarrah Member Posts: 17
    Tech support emailed me back.... woot. Still working on the issue, but they live
  • Johnford75Johnford75 Member Posts: 5
    edited November 2012

Is anyone running into a white screen and 'Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.'???? I'm running Windows 7

Same thing here, happens when clicking "Done" after the character creation and text/speech intro, I hear maybe a second a background sound, get a white screen, and quickly crashes to desktop.

I tried fullscreen and windowed, every compatibility mode and run as admin from the BGEE.ex and Baldur.exe, and moved my folder to C:\... nothing works! I run Win 8 x32.

Pretty frustrating, especially since this happens to so many people while there was a beta test : /
  • AzureblazeAzureblaze Member Posts: 22
    CWS said:

Running on Win 7 64 with Nvidia GTX 680 and had the same issue. Hit play, nothing happens. I set the launcher to run as admin and in compatibility mode for Vista Service Pack 1 and that fixed it.

Oh my..this actually WORKED for me and I'm not crashing on launch anymore (Win7 X64)

A few tips :

Do this for BGEE.EXE, and ONLY that file, don't touch Baldur.exe. This specifc combination is the only thing that will launch mine every time.

Even with Win7 UAC OFF, run as administrator/Vista SP1 MUST be selected for it to work(at least for me), but I'm sure it doesn't hurt to turn off your UAC as well..as far for making it compatible :)

• DolarrahDolarrah Member Posts: 17
    DOnt have BGEE.EXE, using the beamdog launcher.
  • CorsymyrCorsymyr Member Posts: 146
    edited November 2012
    I too am having the problem of not being able to launch the application. My spec's are as follows;

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 11/28/2012, 19:52:57
    Machine name:
    Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120830-0333)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Alienware
    System Model: M17x
    BIOS: Ver A08 1.00
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU X 940 @ 2.13GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 8180MB RAM
    Page File: 2851MB used, 13507MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    System DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: ATI FirePro M7820
    Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x68A0)
    DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68A0&SUBSYS_043A1028&REV_00
    Display Memory: 1743 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 2005 MB
    Shared Memory: 3834 MB
    Current Mode: 1920 x 1200 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
    Monitor Model: unknown
    Monitor Id: SEC5443
    Native Mode: 1920 x 1200(p) (60.001Hz)

Here is the Application Error

Log Name: Application
    Source: Application Error
    Date: 11/28/2012 8:04:51 PM
    Event ID: 1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer:
    Description:
    Faulting application name: baldur.exe, version: 0.1.0.0, time stamp: 0x50b66b64
    Faulting module name: baldur.exe, version: 0.1.0.0, time stamp: 0x50b66b64
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x006bc510
    Faulting process id: 0x1864
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cdcdd5eae7fce2
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\baldur.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\baldur.exe
    Report Id: 28a909c2-39c9-11e2-8759-70f1a1b843a2

I have read all the fixes of moving the application to the root of C:\, compatibilty changes, run as admin, et cetera, and I have tried them all to no avail. I have a ticket open for over 5 hours with Beamdog; no reply. The one thing I just tripped over is that there is supposed to be another folder under "My Documents" that contains the "Baldur.ini" file, this folder is not on my PC. I tried to create it and even put an empty INI file, but still not working. It could be that some of us have an installer issue. I did perform another install but that did not help either.

Hopefully this will help someone to assist.
  • greenmonstergreenmonster Member Posts: 10
    First time I did the manual install then I did a reinstall with the Beamdog launcher. No help there.
  • CotillionCotillion Member Posts: 4
    I had the same problem (play->crash; ntldll was the cause), for me it was problem with Optimus. If you have Optimus and it is crashing on startup, try going into your BG:EE folder\Data\00766 and try to right click "Baldur.exe" -> select run with graphical processor -> and select nVidia. This should help. (At least helped me).
  • FatalFatal Member Posts: 54
    Actually got this fixed by changing compatibility to Win 95 and Win Vist (no service pack)

Thing is, multiplier as that exact error code...
  • CloudwulfeCloudwulfe Member Posts: 4
    So I found a very strange solution to this problem. By chance I had iTunes open when I launched the game and it worked! I've tested a few times and for some reason the game launches with iTunes open at the same time, but fails to launch without it.

Somehow iTunes makes my game playable. I have no idea how, but I am not complaining.
  • hajimodottirhajimodottir Member Posts: 63
    edited November 2012
    Ok, I've got it working. I dont know If it will help enyone but I've just switched my graphic card from Intel to GeForce (I have 2 grapgic cardz on my laptop). I hope they will fix that issue for Intel graphics.

EDIT:
    I've just checked my second notebook with sole Intel Mobile Graphic. Game started (yay!), but crashes after Candlekeep text introduction.

At least I have one mashine to play BG:EE. :)
    Post edited by hajimodottir on
  • DraconisDraconis Member Posts: 1
    I got the game working after i stopped my bit torrent client from seeding the game files. Stupid me forgot i was doing that and ofc the game didn't work because the files were being used by another application :P

So I found a very strange solution to this problem. By chance I had iTunes open when I launched the game and it worked! I've tested a few times and for some reason the game launches with iTunes open at the same time, but fails to launch without it.

Somehow iTunes makes my game playable. I have no idea how, but I am not complaining.

Oh my, this worked for me as well!
    When I read it I must admit I thought "Yeah, go figure!", but it actually works..!

Look above if you had my exact same issue, anyway it was a crash at start connected, apparently, to an ATI driver. I hope others see this and, above all, that this is useful to the developers to identify the cause of this VERY strange bug..!
  • PhoenixDownPhoenixDown Member Posts: 38
    edited November 2012
    Working great on my desktop with Win 7 x64 with radeon 4850. No crashes or errors.

However on my netbook with intel GMA3150 on which I played original games without any problems results in crash(BG stopped working blabla). Disappointing to say at least! It "works" when I right click on BGEE.exe go to properties select run as admin, compatibility with Vista, mark all the options without the resolution one and it starts! Well it starts, music plays, but the screen is all black.

EDIT:
    Fixed thanks to:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/7491/nvidia-intel-chips-and-performance-issueswhite-boxes#latest
    Post edited by PhoenixDown on
  • Verify_23Verify_23 Member Posts: 6
    Strange thing is, initially last night I was having the same problem as everybody here. Then I moved the file out of Program Files and it worked for awhile before it stopped (I had to keep quitting out of the game when my cursor would disappear on the inventory screen).

Then I removed from Program Files + Ran as Admin and it worked for awhile, again it stopped.

Then I removed from Program Files + clicked Vista SP1 + Ran as Admin and it worked...

But this morning, under the same conditions, it's no longer working.
  • OphlyumOphlyum Member Posts: 255
    edited November 2012
    Nome evento problema: APPCRASH
    Nome applicazione: Baldur.exe
    Versione applicazione: 0.1.0.0
    Timestamp applicazione: 50b66b64
    Nome modulo con errori: atioglxx.dll
    Versione modulo con errori: 6.14.10.10061
    Timestamp modulo con errori: 4c33de79
    Codice eccezione: c0000005
    Offset eccezione: 00072a60
    Versione SO: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
    ID impostazioni locali: 1040
    Informazioni aggiuntive 1: 0a9e
    Ulteriori informazioni 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Ulteriori informazioni 3: 0a9e
    Ulteriori informazioni 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Yes as you can see I've the same problem. I have an ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series. I tried compatibility solution as administrator with all versions options and nothing...please someone help me!!

EDIT: I've windows 7 ultimate.
  • RigowenRigowen Member Posts: 10
    Cotillion said:

I had the same problem (play->crash; ntldll was the cause), for me it was problem with Optimus. If you have Optimus and it is crashing on startup, try going into your BG:EE folder\Data\00766 and try to right click "Baldur.exe" -> select run with graphical processor -> and select nVidia. This should help. (At least helped me).

I have Optimus technology as well so I thought I would give this a shot and I was able to actually get to the games startup screen without an instant crash. I do not have time right now to actually try playing to make sure it is going to be stable, but it does seem like part of the problem for a lot of folks may be the newer processors not switching over to dedicated gpu's.