Skip to content

BG with mods is absolutely better

darkmobsondarkmobson Member Posts: 28
Guys I'll be honest. I was waiting for this game since the announcement. Yesterday night I was able to download it 1 hour after official release hour and that's not so important for me as far as I find the game good. BUT:
It really sucks and I have my reasons:
1- It's so normal to have bugs but not that obvious ones. It seems there was no testing even the simple things like tooltips (when you hover your mouse on the '?' icon, the tooltip says 'rest' instead of 'help'). How the hell you didn't even check that simple things?
2- The graphics and zoom feature is really bad. It's like using Windows Magnifying Glass on the game. So why announce it like an improvement? The new interface feels amateur, like a cheap mod that changes UI color. Those who played BG in old times knows how it feels to have a stone UI and how it merges with the game ambience. This new UI doesn't give the same feeling at all. It's like a bad cover from a highschool band. If you want to change the UI, you must do it without loosing that feeling.
3- The cinematics... It's horrible. Why you did this guys? Is there no one around you to tell you that somethig wrong with these cinematics? It would be even better if you do them without any animations, just like a comic book page with chat bubbles.

You just use BGT or TUTU with some modes fixing old bugs and adding enhancements and widescreen mod: you surely will have a better BG experience than this one.

I'm so disapointed, so disapointed.

Comments

• ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    1- It's so normal to have bugs but not that obvious ones. It seems there was no testing even the simple things like tooltips (when you hover your mouse on the '?' icon, the tooltip says 'rest' instead of 'help'). How the hell you didn't even check that simple things?
    That's a known bug.
    2- The graphics and zoom feature is really bad. It's like using Windows Magnifying Glass on the game. So why announce it like an improvement?
    How do you expect the zoom to work?
  • darkmobsondarkmobson Member Posts: 28
    Zeckul said:

That's a known bug.
    2- The graphics and zoom feature is really bad. It's like using Windows Magnifying Glass on the game. So why announce it like an improvement?
    How do you expect the zoom to work?

1- the fact it is known doesn't make this right.
    2- if it is the only way to this so don't do it or don't announce it like enhancement.
  • AdventSignAdventSign Member Posts: 96
    I'm hoping mods will fix the GUI. They DID say that wanted to remove the hardcode to make it easier for modders (I think) so maybe it'll be easier to create custom made ones OR port them from the original (slim chance about that though). I don't like it showing the weapon that your characters are attacking with on the little portrait of your characters to the right...its a bit harder to see if your health is low or not (I watch my party's health very closely).

There are more naturally...the bugs can be fixed but the other things not so much. The opening cinematic to me was ok....a bit out of place regarding Baldur's Gate though. Personally I think they tried to "Improve" it too much to the point where it was too many bugs to handle in a short time. I wish they released a "beta" beforehand to the general public who have already paid to hear their feedback...it may have prevented some of this.
  • ZemeZeme Member Posts: 19
    edited November 2012
    I just booted the game and sadly I have to agree so far.

Anyway is there a way to make the tooltips bigger? I can barely read them as they are so small, and zooming in doesn't change their size. Also is there way to make the interface smaller? It takes so big portion of the screen even on high resolution.

E: 30minutes later and It doesn't feel as bad, I guess it was mainly the opening cinematic that threw me off.
    Post edited by Zeme on

I wish they released a "beta" beforehand to the general public who have already paid to hear their feedback...it may have prevented some of this.

I absolutely agree with you.
  • iam1iam1 Member Posts: 43
    I like the zoom feature! Travel back in time to pixel central just by pushing up ones mousewheel!

(graphics were lost, ya know? so they can't do high res rendering of original stuff)

Cinematics are nice, but it's probably down to opinion.

When my hand wants a rest from clicking i press the "help" button, to check some interesting reads.
    That's probably the reason it's like that. Yeah!
  • StradlinStradlin Member Posts: 142
    edited November 2012

You just use BGT or TUTU with some modes fixing old bugs and adding enhancements and widescreen mod: you surely will have a better BG experience than this one.

I'm so disapointed, so disapointed.

What on earth did you expect? Overhaul is a rather small studio re-releasing an existing title. They have hefty pile of small studio's issues and sea of varyingly lame copyright monsters of Atari/Wizards of the Coast/god knows who to battle. They released BGEE 1.0 like 10 hours ago.

Meanwhile, modding community of BG makes awesome entity that has had almost 14 years to mod the game they love. In what world is it strange, surprising or disappointing the latter outperforms former?

If and when I manage to recover from severe disappointment of STILL not being able to talk to them charmed NPCs. my 1st impression of BGEE is highly positive one.
    ..Opening vid was terrible tho.

BG was released in 1998. Give it (some more;p )time. Wait for 1.x and various fixes and improvements made by devs and the community. Wait for couple of nice mods to pop up. If it still looks shitty game then, come back and do your complaining;p
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    edited November 2012

That's a known bug.

I do hope the other ones are "known bugs" and they'll be fixed ASAP.
  • MordeusMordeus Member Posts: 460
    It depends on why you are buying the Enhanced Edition in the first place. I'm purely doing it for the new NPCs and the ability to have it on Mac and Ipad to be honest. If you are looking for a version to work on a PC and haven't played BGTutu to death, then I can see why going for BG Vanilla would be an ideal option.

Who knows, maybe the Enhanced Edition is better suited to Android and IPad versions instead of PC. But at least there is an option. Everything is a little chaotic at the moment, so let's see how things are when the dust settles.
    Stradlin said:

BG was released in 1998. Give it (some more;p )time. Wait for 1.x and various fixes and improvements made by devs and the community. Wait for couple of nice mods to pop up. If it still looks shitty game then, come back and do your complaining;p

I hope it gets better like you said, I really want to enjoy it and see it worths my 20$.

• HooHoo Member Posts: 128
    edited November 2012
    I perfactly agree with darkmobson because of the same reasons. They argued about "Core Game Improvements and a lot of bug fixes", however, I think they just made hundreds of bugs newly. I was really disappointed when I saw the "Item Cost" typo bug. This could be solved simply when they played the game at least one time. How can we say that BGEE is as worthy as the 20$ what we paid for this?
  • TurelusTurelus Member Posts: 23
    Have you EVER played a game that was 100% perfect on release and never needed a single patch?

The game is working fine, it's playable and most of the bugs I have heard about are not game breaking or stopping people playing.
    If a tooltop saying the wrong thing is the biggest problem than I think I can live with that! Not sure if you had a chance to play Sword of the Stars II on release but THAT was a game which was a bad release.
  • IshmarilIshmaril Member Posts: 10
    Sooooo the game is not better than the original, that has been heavily modded during 15 years ?

SERIOUSLY ???

For shame !!
    So do you think the reason what you said can be a reasonable justification of this poor quality? OMG.
  • WoozWooz Member Posts: 32
    My only problem is I can't find a katana vendor. Winthrop had a katana, but it was 700 gold and impossible to steal. Anybody encounter one yet? :P
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Considering the fact I'm unable to play the game, even considering pre-order, pre-launch and other useless things, I agree.
  • IshmarilIshmaril Member Posts: 10
    I had absolutely no illusion on this matter, the original game with all the incredible mods that have been done for 15 years is better than the Enhanced Edition, i even can't understand how people would imagine otherwise.
    I finally gave up to play BGEE. We would be better to wait more than 1 month for the other mods that have full compatibilities with BGEE or bug fixes.

Frankly speaking, the modders will win. LOL.
  • AmityAmity Member Posts: 6
    We don't pay for mods.
  • RyzakRyzak Member Posts: 3
    Agreed with the OP - for $20 one can purchase full DRM-free copies of BG1 & 2, and download a myriad of well supported and extensive mods for free, or can spend $20 on this mess. Very disappointing.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    edited November 2012
    I think the advent of digital/instant d/ls has made it WAY too easy for ALL developers to push out stuff that is full of bugs, only to be patched weeks, or months down the line. First buyers are reduced to beta testers. It's just disappointing that it happens.
  • Google_CalasadeGoogle_Calasade Member Posts: 80
    I very much like BG:EE. I've played BG 2 modded for years and BG Tutu as well, but I went into this without any preconceived notions or comparing it to anything except the original BG 1 release. I am EXTREMELY happy with what they've done, but then I've had not one issue either. It's been rather blissful and I very much like the content and NPCs they've added. I'm just as addicted as I was the first time I played BG back in 1998.

To those who are having issues, please be patient. Overhaul is a small studio that worked hard on this and will fix the issues. It's not hard to see the love they put into BG:EE.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Hoo said:

I perfactly agree with darkmobson because of the same reasons. They argued about "Core Game Improvements and a lot of bug fixes", however, I think they just made hundreds of bugs newly. I was really disappointed when I saw the "Item Cost" typo bug. This could be solved simply when they played the game at least one time. How can we say that BGEE is as worthy as the 20$ what we paid for this?

That bug is not showing in my game...
    Then again my game works totally fine, no bugs whatsoever thus far.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    I've CTD'd at least five times now.

Remarkably I'm still having fun, possibly because I don't have unrealistic expectations of a bug free environment, or the capacity of a small team of beta testers to discover the same volume of bugs in code as the odd hundred thousand people stress testing it.

I also really like the zoom feature, if only to zoom all the way out to see more.
  • VittordeVittoVittordeVitto Member Posts: 225

I wish they released a "beta" beforehand to the general public who have already paid to hear their feedback...it may have prevented some of this.

Agreed
    marfig said:

With the move to fullscreen mode, the game may become a bit harder to play for those of us whose eyesight isn't what it used to be when the original games came out 15 years ago. The zoom feature helps alleviate some of the pain that would otherwise go into playing such a huge game for any length of time.

I didn't think of that and you are absolutely right saying that zoom feature will help people with relatively poor sight.

• jlkawaiijlkawaii Member Posts: 33

(...)To those who are having issues, please be patient. Overhaul is a small studio that worked hard on this and will fix the issues. It's not hard to see the love they put into BG:EE.

just beetween us, could you give me some example of 'love' you've seen ? because at the end there is not a lot's of thing wich simply "work" and wasn't present before, hmmm ?
    . zoom (gadget, no? but work)
    . inventory & journal (better)
    and ?
  • Google_CalasadeGoogle_Calasade Member Posts: 80
    edited November 2012
    @jlkawaii, Neera for one, the new content for another. The game plays far smoother than before. I also like the zoom, the improvements to the inventory & journal, and the UI enhancements. The widescreen is far better than the G3 mod. While I was not a fan of what was done to the intro, I did appreciate the aesthetic style (reminded me of a graphic novel) and can also appreciate what they tried to do with the cut scenes. Unlike a lot of folk, just because I don't necessarily agree with something does not mean I will fail to see the value in what was done. I also realize the trouble and extent to which Overhaul must have gone to get the needed permission to work with BG. Official releases with a new entry in the series on the horizon and an updated Infinity engine are things for which BG fans have waited years without much glimmer of hope. IMO, Overhaul has done a really good job and I look forward to more.
  • VittordeVittoVittordeVitto Member Posts: 225

Agreed