Skip to content

BG with mods is absolutely better

2»

Comments

• jlkawaiijlkawaii Member Posts: 33

@jlkawaii, Neera for one, the new content for another. The game plays far smoother than before. I also like the zoom, the improvements to the inventory & journal, and the UI enhancements. The widescreen is far better than the G3 mod. While I was not a fan of what was done to the intro, I did appreciate the aesthetic style (reminded me of a graphic novel) and can also appreciate what they tried to do with the cut scenes. Unlike a lot of folk, just because I don't necessarily agree with something does not mean I will fail to see the value in what was done. I also realize the trouble and extent to which Overhaul must have gone to get the needed permission to work with BG. Official releases with a new entry in the series on the horizon and an updated Infinity engine are things for which BG fans have waited years without much glimmer of hope. IMO, Overhaul has done a really good job and I look forward to more.

~ for neera and the new content, i will follow your stance, as i hav'nt seen them yet
    + for zoom, inventory & journal, that was what i agreed before, so ok
    i don't speak bout liking or not artisting stance, but mecanic/programming oddities/aberration or design choice:
    - widescreen is better, i'm sorry, for the simple fact it's pixel-perfect. actually, bgee seem to intern render at 1024x768 or near, and stretch it to your desktop resolution. As i tried this morning comparing bgt+wd & bgee at candlekeep, i *assure* you that wd is largely better and less tiring to eyes (but it don't zoom)
    - i don't have anithing against the art of intro, but i can't understand WHY they cut some sentence ?

(...and even today, the blood "fluiding"(i'm not sure for the verb, please excuse) amongst the stone pavel could have been keeped (don't fix on this last part)...)

so as i said before, where is the love ? we see the love in a game or application in the details (always) and if i follow what you said, i will perhaps see it in the "new content" (ie 3 new npc).
    but what i have now is a game in wich :
    - when i select my language, i don't have voice.
    - a game without graphics settings, so i put more than 3 hours to find (by someone from this forum by the way) that the blurring atrociously on the text was a FXAA setting forced by default by nvidia.
    - a game NOT pixel-perfect, wich is a shame as they upgraded the render engine, and on some LCD as one of the two mine is perfectly hideous as blurry it render (that's the problem with all that's not pixel-perfect)
    ~ a lot's of little imperfection like the rest tooltips, but that's ok.
    - cinematic (only the intro viewed) *tearing* when playing with or without VSync activated

I Understand the things you said about beamdog/overhaul and the relaunch of the infinity engine franchise, and for the most part i completly agree with you, BUT we musn't blind ourself, this launch is buggy at least and absolutly not "Awesome" as i could have read by "fanboy"(??trollers??).

In my case, after struggling 4 hours in total to launch the game, playing ~30mn, i 've let it go. i wait for the patchs (+s).
  • KorrKorr Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2012
    Zoom resets to default everytime you change a location. Please fix this bug, because it is very annoying
  • JarwyJarwy Member Posts: 4
    1 - This is not the way to start your bug list. You want to go for game shattering, eye melting bugs of doom and agony, instead you went for "my tooltip looks funny!".
    2 - Zoom works as intended. It zooms, zoom zoom, zoomity zoom. Did you expect graphical quality to scale? That would require someone to paint absolutely all the backgrounds all over again.
    3 - All I would say about this is that some of us like sugar while others prefer salt.
  • Google_CalasadeGoogle_Calasade Member Posts: 80
    edited November 2012
    @jlkawaii, the cutting of dialogue in the intro was not a good change, IMO. I don't see it as a real issue for those who have played Baldur's Gate 1, but those cuts took away some of the plot hints for new players. That said, the aforementioned is my worst gripe about BG:EE. We will continue to disagree on the widescreen mod as I just did a comparison and on my monitor (HP 24" widescreen, high-end SLI NVIDIA graphics cards), BG:EE looks a lot better. I was not expecting perfection nor should anyone else with this being the first enhanced edition. There will be bumps, but I have confidence Overhaul Games will smooth them.
  • jlkawaiijlkawaii Member Posts: 33
    @google_calasade : perhaps my lcd monitor are just too bad. but bgt+wd at 1680x1050, i have it crisp. bgee with desktop resolution at 1680x1050, i have blur everywhere, even on some text Y_Y.
    by the way iiyama 17" 1680x1050.
  • kazrobkazrob Member Posts: 18
    I agree with the OP. The original with mods to make it more playable has been better than BG:EE at release. Maybe it gets better in the future, at this point nobody knows. What really bugs me the most beyond the numerous bugs etc...is how much the "new" stuff they added sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the original parts of the game. I bet even people who have never played before can spot the new stuff.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Fortunately I'm one of those that hit no bugs at all... On the positive side, I love the instant save/load/area transition... playing my BGT install feels slow and awkward now...

The old mods will be ported sooner or later, I'm enjoying playing an unmodded BG1 for a change.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    The correct sentence is:

"BG:EE with mods is absolutely better than BG with mods"

because all the new mods are going to be designed for BG:EE.. and vbg1 will be stuck with mods from 2009
  • SwordsNotWordsSwordsNotWords Member Posts: 147
    Perhaps modded BG1 is better than vanilla BG:EE but I don't have any doubts that modded BG:EE will far surpass modded BG1.

Patience my friend, and for now just enjoy the new experience.
  • Vonbek777Vonbek777 Member Posts: 135
    Mutliplayer has been interesting. The wife and I played through the first screen outside Candlekeep last night. In Candlekeep, (wife was lead) every time she finished speaking with someone, on my screen it looked like she attacked them. On her screen, no attack animation. No notice by npcs in general. However outside the guard barracks, second time to visit, one of the guards started attacking my wife on my screen, doing no damage, but attack animation. The guard wasn't even on her screen. Very weird. Later in the wilderness, we had bugs with where the enemies were. As an archer I was moving and shooting and on my screen, wolves and bears were several feet away. The wife kept telling me they were right on me and keep moving. And indeed a dire wolf finished me off after I stopped thinking I was a good 20 feet away, only to die when the teleporting beast suddenly appeared beside me and said boo.

I'm getting the feeling game still wasn't ready for release. We'll see in the next few weeks with the patch progress.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Wow. Some people are highly disappointed, which seems unwarranted to me. However, trying to convince somebody who's unhappy about the game that they shouldn't be is a waste of text.

Anyway, I admittedly loathed the opening cinematic. Aside from that, I expected the ability to change screen resolution, although I didn't need it.

The new record sheets are really nice. I like that it shows armor and 'to hit' adjustments, as it takes away some of the confusion about such things. I've seen entries that suggest the THAC0 calculation is buggy; what I saw (very limited sample), THAC0 is accurately calculated, but some of the modifiers show the wrong number (STR 0 is what mine showed, but the total was correct).

I'm not sure that the game aged all that well, but I didn't play long enough to get immersed. Found out that half-orc fighters are ridiculously strong. Shank and Carbo (sp?) were effortlessly chunked!
  • imajasjamimajasjam Member Posts: 59
    I don't understand why people would like that high res with zoom isn't as good as high res without zoom.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    As I've said in another thread: If I can go to Beregost, leave to go somewhere else and re-enter Beregost without the game crashing then BGEE is indeed better than BG with mods.
  • darkmobsondarkmobson Member Posts: 28

As I've said in another thread: If I can go to Beregost, leave to go somewhere else and re-enter Beregost without the game crashing then BGEE is indeed better than BG with mods.

it's already fixed with tutu