Skip to content

BG:EE Positive Criticism Thread

Comments

• JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    edited November 2012
    1) The assassins outside Candlekeep walk right up to you to initiate dialogue even though they're spellcasters and as a result can never get any spells off because my party are whacking them
    2) I couldn't collect the reward for killing the rats in Candlekeep
    3) I have to click on an NPC / PC twice to get them to move, makes combat with squishy characters really unnecessarily tense
    4) Not sure if it's my resolution (1920x1200) but the buttons in the UI to the left look blurred and stretched
    5) The cutscenes make me a little sad
    6) Starting each new map partially zoomed in is a little irksome because at my resolution it looks baaad
    7) The text for item descriptions is shadowed which makes for tricky reading
    Post edited by Jaxsbudgie on
  • AdventSignAdventSign Member Posts: 96

1) The assassins outside Candlekeep walk right up to you to initiate dialogue even though they're spellcasters and as a result can never get any spells off because my party are whacking them
    2) I couldn't collect the reward for killing the rats in Candlekeep
    3) I have to click on an NPC / PC twice to get them to move, makes combat with squishy characters really unnecessarily tense
    4) Not sure if it's my resolution (1920x1200) but the buttons in the UI to the left look blurred and stretched
    5) The cutscenes make me a little sad

1. Yeah I have no clue why they do that.... :/
    2. I could collect it fine.....probably bugs
    3. I was fine here as well.....probably bugs
    4. Try windowed mode and see if that helps...maybe the resolution wasn't made to go that high? I hope that isn't the case though.
    5. You aren't the only one according to all the complaints
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803

I only have one gripe so far... Why change the backpack colour to the same as the UI? It always looks full to me now, and at the stores I don't know when my bag is full because it used to be gold, and switched to the grey when it got full.

Yes, the backpack color change is stupid.

• Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803

2. Having to left click to attack instead of right click.

It's always been like this in BG.

This is not Warcraft, this is not Starcraft, this is not WoW.
  • theJoshFrosttheJoshFrost Member Posts: 171

It's always been like this in BG.

This is not Warcraft, this is not Starcraft, this is not WoW.
    You speak as if any of the Warcraft (except maybe WoW) or Starcraft games are bad. Like, comparing the games should be demeaning. "HOHO, FOOLISH GAMER, WAAAAARCRAFT CAN NEVA MATCH UP TO THE WONDEROUS PROWESS OF BAAAAAAALDUURS GAAAAAAAATE"

Shut up.

And if it HAS always been like that, I certainly don't remember it. And I don't recall it being like that in Icewind Dale, or Baldur's Gate 2 for that matter.

"THIS IS NOT ICEWIND DALE."

Alright dude.
  • theJoshFrosttheJoshFrost Member Posts: 171
    P.S, in addition to my prior complaints. The game crashes when I try to add notes to my map. Waaaahhhhhhhhhhhh.

That'll probably get patched though.
  • PraemoriorPraemorior Member Posts: 10
    edited November 2012

Not sure if it's my resolution (1920x1200) but the buttons in the UI to the left look blurred and stretched

I'm having this too at 1920x1080. Looks awful. I thought the game supported the "retina" resolution of 2048×1536...so is it just stretched to that? The game looks fine otherwise, if you don't zoom too close, but the blurry UI buttons don't look nice at all.

I personally don't like the new fonts either. In character creation and whatnot.

And the new soundsets have an echo in them?

Otherwise it's okay...I still feel like I'd maybe rather play just BGT.

Edit: corrected quote
  • sebassebas Member Posts: 56
    edited November 2012
    I enjoy a few of the changes, such as the new Inventory, character and journal windows.
    I am OK with some of the changes, such as UI color, some item icons etc.

But they have to do something about the spellbook windows and spell icons. They look _horrible_!
  • ParysParys Member Posts: 205

P.S, in addition to my prior complaints. The game crashes when I try to add notes to my map. Waaaahhhhhhhhhhhh.

That'll probably get patched though.

I've got same problem as You :(
  • AzgrimmAzgrimm Member Posts: 1
    In the Journal you cannot grab the little slider bar and drag it to scroll, you need to continually click the up & down sections. A very minor issue, but I like to read what Charname is thinking!
  • sebassebas Member Posts: 56
    @Azgrimm

Grab the page instead. ;)
  • DukeGrDukeGr Member Posts: 43
    edited November 2012
    Decent release with just a tad more bugs than what i expected

My personal list of bugs 2 hours or so playing last night :

1)Something fishy is going on with the fonts, item descriptions for example, the fonts look like they are rendered for 3D glasses, got a small overlapping shadow. This can be very irritating as it makes most of the text unreadable.Sometimes it magically dissapears and fonts look fine, most of the time tho fonts look bugged.

2)Spellbooks both mage and priest look really really REALLY bad, its like someone stretched out the spell icons and threw them inside. At first i thought this is some kind of visual glitch but i guess its the original baldur's gate icons stretched out to fit the new resolutions.

3)Color selections on char creation and customization via the inventory screen got a visual bug. Some colors look displaced and out of the screen.

4)There is an issue with selecting party members, sometimes you need to select them twice to get an order through.

5)Custom portraits even tho correct size look out of place in the character creation screen, ingame they appear fine.

6)Fullscreen game cannot get minimized, trying to alt+tab out of the game brings up the windows taskbar but you cannot bring to front any other application for example a browser. Its like the game has locked your screen.

7)Tooltips, when you hover your mouse over something in the UI it appears and dissapears almost instantly.

8)Various issues with the mousescroll, it doesnt work in shops, journal.

9)Ambient sounds, character sounds need to be tweaked. Some ambient sounds are very loud( footprints) and new character sounds are 2 times louder than the old character sounds.

10)Im not sure if this is a bug or not but again something fishy is going on with the new UI. While it looks ultra-sharp in some cases it looks blurred out, like some parts of it are of much lower quality than the rest.
    A good example of this is comparing the main menu screen with the huge baldur's gate logo and the ingame UI. Main menu looks super sharp while the ingame UI looks blurred.

To be continued...

Besides the obvious bugs there are glaring basic features missing. For example custom resolution selection and no graphic options.

All in all i believe that if the "release" build we got has so many bugs, they must have been fixing some serious gamebreaking bugs the past few months the delay happened. I hope the team gets their asses on gear and start fixing stuff really soon, not many people were as lucky as some of us to even experience the game(intel chipsets, graphic card crashes and bugs) and even less got the ammount of patience to look aside of some really serious bugs( Hello 3D fonts).
  • Tie_FighterTie_Fighter Member Posts: 41
    Mostly agree with DugeGr, lots of good points. Though I have also noticed a lot of things that are pretty nice and I like a lot. Still, there is a lot to chew on for the patch team. :)
  • marfigmarfig Member Posts: 208
    As mentioned before, mouse wheel support really needs to be improved across the whole of the interface. Currently this is my main frustration with the game. It's particularly bad on the Journal screen. It took me quite a long while to remember to drag the mouse... something that is today an absolute relic of a scrolling mouse operation.
  • OneTrickPonyOneTrickPony Member Posts: 17
    edited November 2012
    Im at the Friendly Arms. Loving the game so far, I havnt had any gamebreaking bugs at all :) *touches wood*

Tho minor improvements for me would be what Duke said;
    DukeGr said:

8)Various issues with the mousescroll, it doesnt work in shops, journal.

I also want to see this added; Pressing M to open map is nice. Tho I want the map to close itself when pressing M while viewing the map. This goes for any interface menu that has a hotkey.

• BorsookBorsook Member Posts: 152

Whatever do you mean? It has always been like that, thank god they did not change it. Esp since right click would be terrible on a touchpad.
  • Greenman019Greenman019 Member Posts: 206
    Trying to steal boo displays the correct text, however it's cut off in the little box slightly.

Also the backpack colour really needs to be fixed to be gold when space is available and grey/blue when full.

A clearer border around the selected weapon in inventory would also be nice.

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I think the game should create default folder such as override and portraits even if empty. It would avoid a lot of doubts to people trying to add custom portraits, itens, 2das, etc...
  • HexHammerHexHammer Member Posts: 288
    My Imp only once correctly morphed back to it's original form, now it's stuck as a spider but deals damage as an ordinary imp, and can't cast any spells.

Tryed to kill it, but Immo can't hit it, and I only have prof in sling and does nada damage. Recasting Find Familiar won't do away with the first.
  • lolthlolth Member Posts: 39
    Only The NAME POSITIVE
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    lolth said:

Only The NAME POSITIVE

Pretty much sums up this release.
  • BorsookBorsook Member Posts: 152
    1. Black Pits - you can see the stats of the precreated characters but not their class?

2. Absolutely no alt-tab....
  • DukeGrDukeGr Member Posts: 43

I also want to see this added; Pressing M to open map is nice. Tho I want the map to close itself when pressing M while viewing the map. This goes for any interface menu that has a hotkey.

The whole principal here is wrong and uber outdated.

At the moment in order to return to the main game screen the interface requires you to press the Game button which is shortcutted to (g) in your keyboard. While this is how the original game also worked it is something which should be overhauled and changed.

Every modern game from mmo's to console games operate by opening and closing a screen using the same shortcut button. So if i want to open the map i press (m) then press (m) again if i want to close it.

In the meantime till and IF they get this thing sorted out i suggest you operate the UI with the (g) shortcut to return back to the game, better than clickin that skull all the time.
  • mrstevomanmrstevoman Member Posts: 7
    So far I'm in love with this game. I think they did a great job and cant really complain. I read people hate the cut scenes, but I think it's tons better than the old clunky ones by far. Been playing the Big World Mod and GUI is so small and hard to read, and the pictures are small you cant even see the buffs/ailments. I tried this last night and I am just blown away how nice and crisp everything is.
  • kazrobkazrob Member Posts: 18
    For whatever reason my game never full fills my available desktop area. It only fills approximately 50%. It's like playing in windowed mode all the time.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Truly, the only issue that I'm having right now is that the merchants in the Black Pits repeat their initial line every time you speak to them. It gets slightly tedious but nothing super bad. They are still well written and their voice acting is phenomenal, so I don't mind too much :)

Didn't touch the original segment of the game yet though, that'll come later on.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    I would have liked more colour options for hair, skin and clothing, I think that could definitely be improved upon. Also would have liked a separate option to change the colour of the NPC circles, so I could make Mages green, Fighters purple etc without having to change their primary clothing colours.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,181
    edited November 2012
    Sometimes sprites are oriented in different direction than in which they are going (only slightly but still)

THACO on inventory screen displays wrong values

Sometimes first click is ignored and you have to click again for an appropriate action to triger
    Post edited by Pecca on
  • agentmulderagentmulder Member Posts: 114
    The only graphic option it has it's "Fullscreen".

I thought the graphics would be a bit better.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    DukeGr said:

The whole principal here is wrong and uber outdated.

At the moment in order to return to the main game screen the interface requires you to press the Game button which is shortcutted to (g) in your keyboard. While this is how the original game also worked it is something which should be overhauled and changed.

Every modern game from mmo's to console games operate by opening and closing a screen using the same shortcut button. So if i want to open the map i press (m) then press (m) again if i want to close it.

In the meantime till and IF they get this thing sorted out i suggest you operate the UI with the (g) shortcut to return back to the game, better than clickin that skull all the time.
    Whole-heartedly agree. Even more to the point, we should be able to go from (M)ap to (R)ecord directly. As it is, I have to go to (G)ame and then to (R)ecord.