Skip to content

Achievements

XasilXasil Member Posts: 47
Would be nice to have achievements in BG1 that could be used either in BG1 or BG2 to add new quests.

If you complete X quest + Y quest it can unlock Z quest. If you complete Z quest in BG1, you could then import your achievements in BG2 and unlock more stuff. I know there's a lot more possibilities but this is a just a quick example.

This way it would be rewarding to complete all the quest possible even if you're at max level and a way to introduce new content.

Comments

• XasilXasil Member Posts: 47
    edited July 2012
    Call it whatever you want, it could be based on the completed quests in your quest log :)
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    While I seriously and ridiculously love achievements, I don't think they would fit the Badlur's Gate theme. I am not necessarily saying the idea is bad, especially not the quest chain that you suggested (which would add even more replay value admittedly) But getting badges for small (or big) acts in Baldur's Gate seems like a modernization of a classic. Besides, you can brag about your accomplishments in Baldur's Gate by looking at the character's statistics ;)
  • NeoDragonNeoDragon Member Posts: 169
    The concept of achievements is totally okay with me as long it's an 100% optional feature. I would second that.

In the above form (an achievement as requirement for a quest) I think it might be an immersion killer, too.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    edited July 2012
    When you complete a quest for a specific NPC he might consider CHARNAME as the one trustworthy person for a special assignment so to say. This way it makes sense imo
  • NirkitNirkit Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2012
    While achievements can be annoying, I think they can be a great teaching or motivational tool if used properly.

For example, nobody wants to see the "Survived your 5th assassination attempt" or "Solved the problem in the Nashkel Mine" achievements because they're mandatory parts of the game. However, I'll say that I never would have known you could plant mines and grenades on people while pickpocketing them in Fallout 3 if there weren't an associated achievement, and I'd have missed out on a lot of Portal 2's ambiance if I hadn't been encouraged to explore by the rat-man and portrait achievements.

Furthermore, I think that a good achievement leads the player to something, rather than giving it away. Instead of getting an achievement for rescuing Haer'Dalis or visiting the Planar Prison, maybe the achievement could simply be for "Watching a play in Amn." Or, as another example, instead of getting an achievement for saving Viconia or letting her die, the achievement could be for "Attending a public execution" or "Witnessing mob justice."

My only real problem with incorporating achievements is that some of the more obvious/mundane ones (ie: Have something special forged by Cromwell) seem unavoidable, even if the designers avoid the trap of handing out an achievement after every quest and boss battle.

EDIT: I don't know... I just think it would be kinda cool to encourage people to do certain things, or let them know some things are possible. Like I only recently heard that you could get Minsc, Edwin, and Dynaheir to coexist in the same party. I wish I'd known that years ago.
  • TonaraskyTonarasky Member Posts: 7
    I think what hes trying to ask for here is a continuation between baldurs gate 1 and 2 similar to Mass Effect... say you killed minsc in baldurs gate 1 he wont be there at the start of baldurs gate 2. This is the kind of change to the existing game that I don't think is really possible under the time constraints to be honest =/
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    To be blunt, I don't want achievements in BG:EE and I think that developers should instrad focus or something other. Making achievements could take a while, which could result on less time invented in working on actual game and gameplay. And that's bad, considering that BG:EE should arrive before summer ends. Lack of time to do so is crucial here.

And besides, what's so special about achievements that they're almost everywhere? I'm afraid to open my own fridge, because I could find new achievement there...
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Personally, collecting achievements is fun, but its not like I need them to enjoy a game.
  • MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
    I dislike Achievments, because they tend to be really easy or pointless, I wont object to achievments which require skill, dedication or have bonus.

However games shouldn't have achievments, it has no reward value, I liked the good times of doing certain things to unlock bonus items Metal gear solid 3: stealth camo, revolver, infinity face pain and the bosses camo's.
    CamDawg said:

You've earned the Gibberling's Bane badge for killing your third gibberling!

You've earned the Thrifty Shopper achievement for purchasing your second arrow!

You've earned your Mastery badge for putting two pips into long swords!

I really don't want that. I wanted achievements to be used to unlock new content. If a NPC have a quest to kill a demi-lich maybe he won't trust you if did'nt complete X or Y quest. It would be like a chain quest but you could import it in BG2. Say if you killed a dude in BG1, maybe his son could come back to avenge him in BG2.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Xasil said:

I really don't want that. I wanted achievements to be used to unlock new content. If a NPC have a quest to kill a demi-lich maybe he won't trust you if did'nt complete X or Y quest. It would be like a chain quest but you could import it in BG2. Say if you killed a dude in BG1, maybe his son could come back to avenge him in BG2.

But that's not really achievements, or is it? It's more like "importing" stuff from the first game into the second game. Which, very rudimentary, already exists. It might be worth to build up on it a little, but it has not much to do with achievements (which I don't want in BG either).

• ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Nope.
    I never said I wanted achievements like in D3/Starcraft/Warhammer or whatever game give you a title or pop-up for about everything you do in-game. What I want is new content based on what you did previously. So if you killed the red dragon in BG2 a npc could walk to you and say "I heard you killed the red dragon so I need your help with X". Or a new quest base on the numbers of quest you completed so after 50 quests you unlock a new one cause your Character is well known in the region now.
  • paulsifer42paulsifer42 Member Posts: 267
    I absolutely love achievements. I think it's a great idea. I do like the idea of being able to turn them off, but I sure wouldn't mind something popping up, telling me I'd done something or found something cool.
  • FillaFillasonFillaFillason Member Posts: 110
    Xasil said:

CamDawg said:

You've earned the Gibberling's Bane badge for killing your third gibberling!

You've earned the Thrifty Shopper achievement for purchasing your second arrow!

You've earned your Mastery badge for putting two pips into long swords!

I wanted achievements to be used to unlock new content. If a NPC have a quest to kill a demi-lich maybe he won't trust you if did'nt complete X or Y quest. It would be like a chain quest but you could import it in BG2. Say if you killed a dude in BG1, maybe his son could come back to avenge him in BG2.
    Im sure most will agree on this but you are using the word achievement witch the assosiate whit something diffrent from what you are describing.

Of course it would be great if Minsc where dead in the start of BG2 if you killed him in BG1, but do you realy need something anyoying as an popup saying "Minsc is STILL dead, due to your murder of him earlyer ;-p"

I totaly agree whit the thought of for.eks. "If a NPC have a quest to kill a demi-lich etc..." but I would hate to see atchivments poping up. I have never cared for doing achivments and prob. never will, but this idea is good, but not as achivments, but as an normal development of the game...

I realy hope that they take their extra time to do this as it is alot of possibilities to play on from bg1 to continue in BG2, small quests and happenings I mean.

"This may be a bit unlady like, but im gonna slipp your throat I am" ;-)
  • XenonXenon Member Posts: 13
    I don't like achievements. They are stupid and useless. Also Dragon Age wasn't a better game with achievements. I don't need to know "You have killed 100 Gnolls!".
  • SabotinSabotin Member Posts: 38
    I was gonna say that it would be cool to have achievements for certain tough (optional/secret) fights and the like, but I realized that they already provide the rewards by themselves.
    Xasil said:

I never said I wanted achievements like in D3/Starcraft/Warhammer or whatever game give you a title or pop-up for about everything you do in-game. What I want is new content based on what you did previously. So if you killed the red dragon in BG2 a npc could walk to you and say "I heard you killed the red dragon so I need your help with X". Or a new quest base on the numbers of quest you completed so after 50 quests you unlock a new one cause your Character is well known in the region now.

Yeah, but that's nothing to do with achievements in the context of video games. It's basically just adding more choice and consequence, which is a good thing, but which is already in the game, isn't it?

• SirBuliwyfSirBuliwyf Member Posts: 137
    Please please please may there NOT be achievements, I don't want my favourite game to be another infected with them. Achievements belong in games like Football Manager, or FIFA Soccer or Team Fortress. Game where plot immersion isn't the point.
  • shout27shout27 Member Posts: 89
    I'm against achievements.
  • bgplayabgplaya Member Posts: 129
    edited July 2012
    @SirBuliwyf

Hey!

Plot immersion is totally the point of Football Manager!

Sorry...No more derailing. And no more achievements in Baldur's Gate, either. Continuity between BG 1 and 2, as the original poster suggested, is definitely a welcome addition, however unlikely I see it being, however.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Linkamus said:

Immersion killing achievement pop ups? No thanks! This game is not about "achievements" (By today's gamer's definition).

IMAGINE.....unlock INGAME PURCHASES OF NEW QUESTS... Collect two diamonds and bring them to a hermit in a cave in the cloak wood, then unlock a new dungeon for the low price of $0.99 ! ....its the stuff of nightmares.

• ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428

Linkamus said:

Immersion killing achievement pop ups? No thanks! This game is not about "achievements" (By today's gamer's definition).

IMAGINE.....unlock INGAME PURCHASES OF NEW QUESTS... Collect two diamonds and bring them to a hermit in a cave in the cloak wood, then unlock a new dungeon for the low price of $0.99 ! ....its the stuff of nightmares.

Shudders.

Now I won't be able to sleep tonight.
  • RisingsunRisingsun Member Posts: 99
    edited July 2012
    The funny thing is because Game Center is being used for the Mac and IPad versions for multiplayer the game is already tied into a full on Xbox Live like system for achievements. Of course they don't have to utilize it if they don't want to but the system is already in place if they wanted to add some.
    Post edited by Risingsun on
  • AceofWandsAceofWands Member Posts: 33
    Resources spent on putting achievements in a game could be better utilised in many many ways. This goes for all games as far as I am concerned.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I seriously doubt that game companies spend that much resources on achievements.