Skip to content

Dual Switching Laptops, nVidia WITH Intel chips and performance issues/white boxes?

NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
edited November 2012 in Windows PC (Archive)
Hey folks,

Seeing a few reports of people with nVidia graphics and seeing nothing but white boxes with black backgrounds, or corruption in-game.

If you're having that issue, could you post here with what graphics chipset, is it a dedicated card or a laptop, and also make sure you update your drivers to the latest from www.nvidia.com?

IF you have a laptop, it's *possible* you may have one of the "switching" laptops with dual graphics, the intel video as well as the nvidia video. If this is the case, another community member e-mailed me with their solution:

"I SOLVED it running the game ONLY with the GEFORCE, it looks like my notebook had the INTEL chipset as predefinite video card... There is an options in NVIDIA graphic panel to make the options "run with accelerator graphic" appear in the contextual menu (the one clicking with the right click on the icons). Selecting that, the game start without problem :)
I hope you can write this in the support forum :)"

So, it would seem that right clicking on baldur.exe would allow you to specify that you use the nVidia chip directly instead of the Intel one, and that seems to solve it for anyone else in this particular situation.

As I said though, if you don't fall into this box we'll be discussing any issues that pop up with nVidia directly so we can get this working well for you! Please post here with your system specs as detailed above if this doesn't solve it.

Something else you can try is the following: in your baldur.ini file, located in your My Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition folder, modify the part after INSERT INTO options ROWS ( to reflect the following:
INSERT INTO options ROWS (
'Graphics', 'OpenGL Version', '1',
'Window', 'Full Screen', '0',
Post edited by Nathan on
PhoenixDowndoppleganger95PotsdamEd

Comments

• itsgottabeodinitsgottabeodin Member Posts: 4
    NVIDIA Quadro NVS 110M (Mobile) on Windows 7 Ultimate

I can't seem to find a context option for the nvidia card with a right-click...
    Beotaft
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    @itsgottabeodin I added some extra stuff you can try - would you take a look at the .ini change and give that a go?
  • ih8picklesih8pickles Member Posts: 6
    Nvidia geforce gt 555m; I have my options set to use it by default. I keep getting the " baldurs gate enhanced edition stopped working" message, although I was able to get it to run at one point and it played fine until I had a crash while looking at the map in beregost, now I can't get it back running again.
    Also, this is what is in the box description when it says it stopped working: Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: baldur.exe
    Application Version: 0.1.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 50b66b64
    Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
    Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17725
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4ec49b8f
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 00033ab3
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 0a9e
    Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Additional Information 3: 0a9e
    Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    I have an Alienware m14x with windows 7 64bit
    I also have the newest drivers from nvidia, 306.97
  • griffianogriffiano Member Posts: 26
    i can start it, just too slow to play
    Tieoken
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20 GHz
    NVIDIA GEForce 8600 GT - driver up to date
    2.0 GB RAM (I need to get more, lol)
    Windows 7 Hope Premium (32 bit)
    1680x1050 native resolution

I've tried starting the game from the .exe file in the game folder. The game crashes my computer from the standalone launcher, the client, and the .exe in the game folder, all three.

After I press the Play button I get white screen in a window where the game would start, presumably. Then I get the blue crash screen.

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 1000008e
    BCP1: C0000005
    BCP2: 00000000
    BCP3: B0566B00
    BCP4: 00000000
    OS Version: 6_1_7601
    Service Pack: 1_0
    Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
    C:\Windows\Minidump\112812-15984-01.dmp
    C:\Users\ME\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-114687-0.sysdata.xml
    Ok, i got it ro run for me dunno if this will help anyone else. Change compatability to vista serive pack 1.
  • okurt83okurt83 Member Posts: 1
    Lucky for me I have no problem runnig the game, the only thing is it is slightly laggy but nothing game breaking.
  • MaltaMalta Member Posts: 11
    Yea I have a Intel Graphics Card, what can I do? The game and cinematic (and sometimes music) lags/stutters.
    Tieoken
  • cbarchukcbarchuk Member Posts: 322
    edited November 2012

Ok, i got it ro run for me dunno if this will help anyone else. Change compatability to vista serive pack 1.

Hey ih8pickles,

I sent you a message as well. I have the same laptop as you and wanted to find out how you even got the game started.

• TacticalsinsTacticalsins Member Posts: 1
    I'm currently using a Intel i7 and a Nvidia GeForce GT 540M. I was experiencing the FPS issues and was able to fix them by going into the Card's option panel and making sure it wasn't using the integrated card. I switched it off the Global High Performance onto the default high performance. Hope this helps someone!
  • alestusalestus Member Posts: 13
    got a laptop with an Intel chipset

hope there will be a solution soon as I don't like this white box
    Borlian
  • wissenschaftwissenschaft Member Posts: 229
    "I SOLVED it running the game ONLY with the GEFORCE, it looks like my notebook had the INTEL chipset as predefinite video card... There is an options in NVIDIA graphic panel to make the options "run with accelerator graphic" appear in the contextual menu (the one clicking with the right click on the icons). Selecting that, the game start without problem :)
    I hope you can write this in the support forum :)"

How did you do that? Where is that option

Tieoken
  • griffianogriffiano Member Posts: 26
    smoke0012 said:

I couldn't find a guide for fixing stuttering during the game and cinematics so Just as a note, for laptops with the NVIDIA GT 540M graphics card, the steps you need to take on window 7 to fix stuttering in game/cinematics are:

right click desktop
    select "Nvidia Control Panel" from drop down menu
    select the category "manage 3D settings"
    In both tabs ("Global settings" and "program settings") change the preffered graphic selector to high performance Nvidia processor

This worked with me so thank you very much :)
  • Venerate1Venerate1 Member Posts: 16
    smoke0012 said:

I couldn't find a guide for fixing stuttering during the game and cinematics so Just as a note, for laptops with the NVIDIA GT 540M graphics card, the steps you need to take on window 7 to fix stuttering in game/cinematics are:

right click desktop
    select "Nvidia Control Panel" from drop down menu
    select the category "manage 3D settings"
    In both tabs ("Global settings" and "program settings") change the preffered graphic selector to high performance Nvidia processor

This worked for me, solved all issues! Can't believe I didnt think of this myself.
  • IronVanguardIronVanguard Member Posts: 1
    I have a laptop with an Intel chip, not sure exactly what one, and it's giving me a white box in the middle of a black screen, with my mouse pointer turned into a hand.
  • PhoenixDownPhoenixDown Member Posts: 38
    edited November 2012
    Got it to work on my netbook with intel gma thanks to OP advice and even in full screen! Had to only add opengl line!
    Thank you, Nathan!
    Nathan
  • CrawleyCrawley Member Posts: 74
    edited November 2012
    Just as a piece of advise: if you want to set up your nVidia card to work with BGEE by default, you have to select the exe file inside BGEE Data folder.

BTW, has anyone experienced flashing white screen interruptions in the game? They just appear from time to time for no apparent reason.
    I am using GF 525M i5 Dell XPS l502x laptop
  • alestusalestus Member Posts: 13
    first time i started the game it seemed to work ok, got to the char creating screen. then i quit the game as i wanted to check sumptin, 2nd time i started the game i got the white box

weird that it just popped up just like that. i didn't make any system updates/changes or whatever in those 2 mins i was not in the game.....so why won't it work anymore???
  • IcallhimlecobraIcallhimlecobra Member Posts: 59
    I had the same issue, my laptop will by default use its Intel HD 4000 chipset to run games with low graphics requirements.

It makes the game crash immediately, with a white screen.

I have to make sure my laptop uses its geforce gt 650m graphics to run the game.
  • Wizeman4everWizeman4ever Member Posts: 16
    Opening the game in windowed mode seemed to work for me on Windows 8, then I switched to fullscreen in-game. I'm not sure if that'll have to be everytime or just my first go. Either way, I'm pleased so far.
  • spikeguy86spikeguy86 Member Posts: 14
    GeForce GTX 550 Ti Windows 7 on a dedicated PC. The drivers are up-to-date according to the nVidia webpage. I get flashing screens, like the previous screen I was on is popped up over the current screen. It does this everyone in the game that I've seen so far except movies.
  • DaValiantDaValiant Member Posts: 6
    edited November 2012
    Black screen with a white box in the middle when I press play. GeForce GTS 450 graphics card running on Win7 PC.
  • spikeguy86spikeguy86 Member Posts: 14
    edited November 2012
    ibitato said:

Some info from a frined of mine, for those with graphical glitches:
    "From what I've seen on my 570: You have to make sure Adaptive Vsync is disabled (text overlays flicker between background and foreground), and FXAA must be disabled (blurred text).

How do I do that?

Edit: I figured it out, and it worked like a charm. Thank you oh so very much sir. The flashing was starting to make my eyes bleed.
  • ibitatoibitato Member Posts: 64

ibitato said:

Some info from a frined of mine, for those with graphical glitches:
    "From what I've seen on my 570: You have to make sure Adaptive Vsync is disabled (text overlays flicker between background and foreground), and FXAA must be disabled (blurred text).

How do I do that?
    nvidia control panel, advanced 3d options