Skip to content

Rate BG:EE out of 10

ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
I'm sure most of us will want to do more in-depth review given time, but, so we can get an overview of what people think, rate the game out of 10 from your impressions so far
  1. Rate BG:EE out of 10518 votes
    1. 10
      10.42%
    2. 9
      23.75%
    3. 8
      26.83%
    4. 7
      15.25%
    5. 6
        7.72%
    6. 5
        3.86%
    7. 4
        4.63%
    8. 3
        2.12%
    9. 2
        1.16%
    10. 1
        4.44%
Fredjobbear

Comments

• sebassebas Member Posts: 56
    edited November 2012
    I say 9/10.

The new characters, voices and music are very, very good. Some of the new windows, such as Inventory or Journal as well. The zoom-in is really cool.
    The UI, once you get past its texture, is ok.

The only things I really dislike are the Wizard/Priest spellbook windows (why do scrolls get such nicely detailed spell icons but these do not?) and, of couse, the bugs. I'm willing to ovelook the bugs though. At least until the first patch when we can see how the Devs handle them.

All in all, very happy with it.

edit.
    And how could I forget, no loading screens. This is absolutely fantastic!
    mercyfulfate1988
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    By the way, yes I know I didn't include an option 0, mostly because you only get give 10 poll options. If you vote for the game being 1/10 though, I think we all get the point.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    What really lets the game down are the things I list in my thread:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/7953/list-of-the-good-and-the-bad-constructive-reference-material

The foundations of BG:EE are strong, but the execution is flawed in a couple of ways. The big issue is customization. I like the GUI, except, I want to remove the gold from it. No 1PP fan. Plus my favourite soundset is not useable as they didn't include BG2 ones.

What's more, the cinematics which are of top quality have been replaced with poor quality ones.

We deserve the ability to customize all four of those factors here.
    Ulfgar_TorunnThe_New_RomanceParysVittordeVitto
  • Allen63Allen63 Member Posts: 53
    BGEE improves on BG Original and BG Easy TuTu, I feel (initial gut reaction).

During the last 24 hours, I played all three (BGEE, BG Original Version, and BG Easy TuTu mod) at least a couple hours each.

Like many here, I was disappointed in the new introductory "video" and visual changes to the "classic" interface textures. However, they are not "deal breakers". I can see where the original low resolution video may not have "enlarged well" to the big screen. So, there may have been reasons for the changes.

Considering everything, once in the game, BGEE improves on the looks of the original and TuTu, for me. Obviously, folks who have not played the original or TuTu won't "see" a difference.
    Playing briefly the Black Pits, I have to praise their voice actresses and actors for the accents are TOP QUALITY AWESOME.

The Drow guy is the right kind of crazy, the Russian girl who sells you stuff is sexy, the Djinn reminds me of Robert Taylor from Ivanhoe (1953), the drunk guy at the beginning is hilarious and the Beholder sounds AWESOME.
    Ward said:

Playing briefly the Black Pits, I have to praise their voice actresses and actors for the accents are TOP QUALITY AWESOME.

The Drow guy is the right kind of crazy, the Russian girl who sells you stuff is sexy, the Djinn reminds me of Robert Taylor from Ivanhoe (1953), the drunk guy at the beginning is hilarious and the Beholder sounds AWESOME.

My favourite voice acting was the slightly camp german accents :p
    @Allen63 They didn't need to upscale the videos to 1980 x 1080, they just needed to apply some awesome filter to them to make the haze go away.

Centering is a great thing. Most HD remakes of old games don't attempt to upscale old graphics (like menus) but instead upscale the gameplay. No point in trying to make the cinematics giant.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    There are still a lot of bugs to squash but its in a playable state. I highly appreciate the detailed stat explanation on the inventory screen and record sheet, increased stacks of things, and other conveniences of the BG2 engine.

This was the result of much blood, sweat, and tears being shed and I appreciate it very much. But now its time to maintain and fix the game and Im looking forward to BGEE's future. Here's to you, BGEE dev team!
    Might start putting together some stats for this later
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I probably should have gone with a "7" but I can't edit my vote. Anyway, I really like the info screens. There seems to be a THAC0/STR bonus problem (it shows STRENGTH 0 but calculates THAC0 correctly) that I've seen reported as 'fixed in newest build'... Trying to figure out if that means it will be fixed with PATCH 1, or if it will download when I start the game again. Simply don't know.

I really loathe the intro scene, as it's largely flat and appears very cobbled together. Not saying the original was great, as it didn't age so well, but the new one... Dead horse beating, so I'll leave it alone. Highly unamused with it though.

I like being able to hide the UI - especially the one to the left, as I use hotkeys for those.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    I didn't vote because I think giving any kind of vote to the game right now is kinda flawed. Plus I haven't had much time to play it.

Eventually you'll get people in here giving it a 1 because they can't download/open the game and that's not really fair (except from their perspective I guess).

Put me down for a N/A.
    CheOffshore
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    I give 5

As I'm French the game is for us (french people) absolutely not finished : if I activate French language, I have french text but no voices !! Only my Charname has a soundset. So that is very annoying to don't hear Gorion's voice, Winthorp etc...

Add many things that I don't like, and you have 5. Maybe it will become 8 with patch...
    KerozevokLowCallmee_John
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    edited November 2012
    In its current state, I'd give it a 7. The localization is not done, the spellbooks are not very nice to look at, and the new portraits have a little too little variety. Most of the new English voicesets are pretty much unusable in my opinion. The new movies are largely "meh", and I don't like some of BG2's style bleeding into the game (e.g. the mirrored animations or the in-game armour designs - the Candlekeep watch looks nothing like their comrades from 1998). I haven't tried out the new content, and I suspect it will be very good, but there are still some rough edges to be polished off in the rest of the game.

Note, however, that this is a 7/10 out of the original's legendary 11/10, so it's still better than a "normal" 7/10 ;)
    GueulEclatorlelag200
  • MoiraMoira Member Posts: 173
    I'm not rating it until the first patch comes out or I get to Baldur's Gate ;)
  • kazrobkazrob Member Posts: 18
    I gave it a 4 if you combine the launch, how bad the new stuff sticks out like a sore thumb up against the original content, and the fact it cost $20 when compared up against the original with mods that are free if you had the game from way back.
    AzL0n
  • csuzwcsuzw Member Posts: 48
    I gave it 4 because while I don't think it's anywhere close to a lost cause, in it's current state it just doesn't represent good value compared to original BG + user mods and fixes. Assuming the promised continued support with bug fixes, new features that missed release date etc materialises then I'm sure I'll rate it higher.
    current statisitcs
    broadly positive (8 or higher) = 64%
    mixed (6 or 7) = 17%
    broadly negative (5 or lower) = 14%
    MoomintrollSophia
  • Promised_painPromised_pain Member Posts: 10
    It's actually my first time playing any Baldur's Gate game. I'll give my rating after I've completed the game. I like it so far.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    I voted 8.

I would of voted higher if it were not for GUI glitches and the lack of proper hardware testing (maybe an open beta?) Even though the game runs flawless for me, I feel bad for the other people who didn't know Intel wasn't supported.
  • markthesharkmarktheshark Member Posts: 57
    I'm between a 7 and 8. But since I'm more "positive" than "mixed," I voted 8.

I love the new journal, the transitions are much faster, the fast quick-save is great. I like Neera's character so far, she seems fun to have around. Rashaad is "meh" so far. I haven't added Dorn yet, since I'm running a LG character. I also like the detailed information on the inventory screen.

I will likely go higher once the bugs start getting squished. It seems like Overhaul is doing a good job communicating potential fixes for errors -- my trouble with a shaky screen and no circles under the characters were fixed thanks to suggestions in the support thread.

I do wonder if the game was beta tested on "normal" computers. My guess is that the beta testers by their nature are probably much more sophisticated users than the general gaming population.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    I give a 6.

The game keep some of the old problems as a bad definition of reputation repercussion and too little changes on the environment, except for the announced features, almost everything is the same, no little adds.

There's a problem with the slash systems also, while each weapon when hit make it's own sould (what is cool) the slash sounds happens only seldom and that piss me off a bit, i realy like the hit sounds.

But it's too early to make a more deep evaluation.
    AzL0n
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    edited November 2012
    I wouldn't say Tutu for me was a perfect 10 for me, possibly something closer to a 9 because over the years I'd customised my mod loadouts to the tiniest details and had grown accustomed to them. BGEE has stripped a lot of that away (understandably so) but sadly the new features for me are overshadowed by the bad features and bugs (I have every confidence that they will be addressed though!).
    I'm a professional designer and many of the visuals (GUI, cutscenes, font, page layouts, textures, spell icons) pain me a little, especially since the potential was great. I suppose I'd grown used to the old Tutu visuals, perhaps I'll learn to love these new ones ... or help mod a new UI if there are any talented mod-folk out there willing to collaborate with me?

Edit: I also have no doubt my 5 will rise with each patch, update, mod compatibility confirmation and DLC download.
  • ilovexydilovexyd Member Posts: 12
    9,poor eng,so no explain
    EleosThe_New_Romance
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    ajwz said:

Ward said:

My favourite voice acting was the slightly camp german accents :p
    Wait, there are slightly camp german accents?

...Man, finals can't be over soon enough. I need to get this game.
    edited November 2012
    Current stats after roughly 100 votes:
    Broadly positive (8 or higher) : 65%
    Mixed (6 or 7) : 20%
    Broadly negative (5 or lower) : 15%
    Moomintrollmch202
  • NeragNerag Member Posts: 4
    so far the game is awesome, gotta hand it to the guys, let's hope it gets better and better
  • MythagoMythago Member Posts: 23
    After the initial mess of actually getting the game to download the last 100Mb & activate, I've been having some serious fun. It's been quite a long time since my BG1 gaming days, though I've been playing BG2 with mods.

I don't remember many things from the first game anymore, so I get to explore it again for the most part. There's also the new NPC's and their quests (using Raseed & Neera now, and will take Dorn for the next playthrough).

I know the game isn't working properly (or at all) for everyone, and I hope a patch will fix those problems. For me though, it's been working nicely with no crashes, and no serious bugs so far, after several hours of playing.

What's even better, I managed to edit my savegame files a bit with Shadowkeeper, giving class kits to some party members, and switching their weapon proficiencies around. I will wait for compatible mods and finish the game once before modifying things any further, but it was great to find out that I can modify the default NPC's at least.
    Avenger_teambg
  • RiolathelRiolathel Member Posts: 330
    edited November 2012
    The cutscenes are just terrible... I don't think i've ever seen ones this bad in any game i've ever played..

It's really annoying to have to skip the redundant campfire scene everytime i rest

I've had a few bugs and my game has stopped working twice so far.. My biggest nitpick is that the spell icons look terrible.. Most of the time i have to squint my eyes just to be able to tell what some of them are