Skip to content

Very disappointed about the GUI

ZamielZamiel Member Posts: 15
Hi guys, I really looked forward to this game, but now that I run it I'm very disappointed!!! The GUI looks blurry like hell. Thats an absolute nogo! I thought the GUI is one of your enhancements but there were mods that let look the GUI of the original game sharper than this. I really hope you will fix this, because if this stays as it is I'll definitely won't buy BG2.

Please don't misunderstand me, it's not about the graphics of the game itself because I know you did not have the original art files to upgrade them, but it's about all around that. It's horrible!

Here is a screenshot how this looks on my PC @ 1920*1200:

http://s14.directupload.net/images/121129/yuxl4grc.jpg
Post edited by Dee on

Comments

• MikePXPMikePXP Member Posts: 54
    I am also a bit dissapointed in the GUI. I expected the GUI to be hi-res like it is in BG TUTU.

I'm sure modders will fix this soon if not the devs.
  • KaldaienKaldaien Member Posts: 17
    edited November 2012
    If you really don't like it, you can hide the strip on the left side. Personally, I prefer the larger character portraits when running at absolutely insane resolutions (DPI wise), which is actually something of an issue on newer tablet hardware; for which the UI was really geared toward.

The buttons need to be large enough to manipulate with fingers on touch devices. Which is why the original scale of the UI actually works quite well.
  • KarnaxKarnax Member Posts: 6
    Yeah I was a bit surprised at this tbh. The whole thing is lacking the extra definition I was expecting. The buttons, the maps and the weird appearance of text in scrolls and descriptions etc. Of course like you say, if the devs don't remedy it there will surely be mods eventually but it's not the overhaul I was expecting when compared to Tutu and what was already out there. But I'm starting to realise now that the real boon to having this enhanced edition is the new platforms and interplatform features, rather than "HDifying" the PC experience.
  • AsharoAsharo Member Posts: 6
    edited November 2012
    Yeah the same, seems like that would have been the first and maybe only graphics fix. I would even have hoped for a reorganizing of the GUI to be more intuitive and inline with modern games. I understand the art assets were lost, but they did have enough time to make a ton of cut-scenes, that sadly I have largely skipped through.
    ... and that's if I even get the game to start...
  • ArchaicArchaic Member Posts: 924
    Same here. Why not upgrade the UI to the likes of Icewind Dale 2 UI?
  • mikehhhhmikehhhh Member Posts: 7
    edited November 2012
    I actually like the new GUI so far. I think the original Baldur's Gate ran at 800 X 600 and would run at 1024 X 768 unofficially without any mods. I'm getting 1920 X 1080 on my widescreen LCD monitor and I am fine with that. I think it looks much better now, but the GUI still looks enough like the original to bring back old memories of playing Baldur's Gate. And honestly Baldur's Gate is like the Star Wars movies - do you really want it changed that much from the original?
  • IkonNavrosIkonNavros Member Posts: 227
    edited November 2012
    While the GUI is somewhat Blurry, i do not think its that horrible. But if there is a chance to enter a replacement one/additional one with a patch which is really 1080P optimized, i really would be very pleased.

But the chance that we get a different GUI is higher with the Modding Community, so take the time and write a posting for help in your favourite Modding Board, time better spent :)

That.. and Bigger Fontsize.

I really do wonder if Beamdog will change that 2 things, but i honestly do not believe that this happens really. Modding Community is the solution for this too :)
  • NedzzoNedzzo Member Posts: 19
    Same here running 1900 x 1200 and not impressed but clarity of GUI. I thought maybe the resolution needed to be adjusted to match my monitor but then I saw that you can't change it. Also I had Minsc in the tutorial and clicking on Boo did not produce a squeek! I hope when I get him in my party during a game I can click on Boo!
    Also no spell name when you hover on the icon in spell book? that would be nice.
    I can confirm that Boo squeaks when you acquire him in the real game.

I never keep him long though; I really don't like how companions in BG1 often come as inseparable pairs (which he does once you do his quest to shut him up). It's a shame, cause he's one uber Ranger, just with a lot of excess baggage in BG1 :)
    Nedzzo said:

Also no spell name when you hover on the icon in spell book? that would be nice.

That bugged me too, but then I remembered what I had to do way back in the day. You can either set tooltip delay to 0, or hit tab while you mouseover stuff. Holding tab seems to be the least intrusive, as instant tooltips can get really annoying in other parts of the UI.

Ah tooltip delay! I had forgotton about that, thanks for the reminder.
    Yay for Boo squeeking! IIRC Dynaheir died in a battle during my original playthrough (98-99) and Minsc stayed. You just can't kick one out without the other leaving.
  • KaldornKaldorn Member Posts: 4
    Also, some of the tooltips are either missing or incorrect (Rest displaying on the Save icon being one)
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    @sea

I agree with some of those points, it is strange that the gui art appears to be scaled when they surely _must_ have generated it at a higher resolution. The DPI is shaming. I wonder if this was all to squeeze the game down to fit on the ipad? even if so, that's no excuse for the mac/pc version.

Also, Pg. Up/Down no longer resizes the chat window! I wonder if they knowingly cut that, or accidentally left it out when they redid the interface.
  • IkonNavrosIkonNavros Member Posts: 227
    They could at least offer a new GUI as DLC or patch - would be great if Beamdog would do that :)
  • aarionnaarionn Member Posts: 94
    New GUI as a DLC? ohh boy that would be a new one... even after a thing that we got ported GUI from iPad to an originally PC game...

Why they didn't make GUI for major PC resolutions is... unexplainable?

ahh well. maybe they will realize what they have done and fix the GUI. Especially if the PC sales are much higher than iPad which I presume is case right now.
  • ZamielZamiel Member Posts: 15
    Why should they do? They already have our money.... *angry*
  • HawkulesHawkules Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2012
    The GUI isn't even the main issue in my opinion, the scaled up blurry fonts are. I could forgive the GUI if the font was nice and readable, alas they are not. For a game with so much text you think that would be a high priority.

Edit: A big thanks to the devs of course, it's just this problem is ruining the basic user experience on higher res screens.
  • ZamielZamiel Member Posts: 15
    The problem is instead of making an optimized GUI (and fonts too) in High Res for PCs and a Low Res for tablets, they just made one for tablets an gave a shit on PCs as nearly all developers do too these days. It's a shame that this great game dies as a cheap tablet port. Even the mutliplayer does not work for I think most of the PC gamers... please read this: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8942/unbelievable
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    The fonts aren't blurry for everyone. You may be able to correct that issue in your driver setting or update.
    Most likely it's an issue that'll be fixed for you soon, but don't talk the nonsense about the tablet release and pc.

• FuzzyPuffinFuzzyPuffin Member Posts: 289
    Zamiel said:

The problem is instead of making an optimized GUI (and fonts too) in High Res for PCs and a Low Res for tablets, they just made one for tablets an gave a shit on PCs as nearly all developers do too these days. It's a shame that this great game dies as a cheap tablet port.

The iPad's resolution is higher than 1080p, and they said that it was a targeted resolution. So that explanation doesn't make any sense. As Bytebrain says, it appears to not be a universal problem, so it's an issue that should be fixed.
  • HeyaHeya Member Posts: 55
    They are a little blurry at 1080p; what they expect them to look like on an Aplle Retina display I don't know. That's not the problem so much for me as the general chunky, tacky feel. It could do with reskinning options.
  • IngentagIngentag Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2012
    The screen shots from people who claim to have "crisp" ui is just as blurry as for the rest of us!.... If you can't see that it looks like crap you are just too sentimental...
    And i must agree with the majority; realy disapointing that PC has been down prioritized. Who the hell cares about tablets?!?
    Problem is, a lot of people care about tablets. I think that was always going to be the case though, and they've done a reasonable job of keeping the overall look and feel. It's not distracting to me in normal gameplay, but the journal and spellbooks seem to have lost a bit of their charm.
    The new inventory screen, with effect displays, is a really neat addition. It'll help people understand the game a lot more.
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    UI could be better I guess, but its quite acceptable I think, the fonts are great imo.
    Its some of the bugs that are a pita. When will we get the first patch? I bought magicka so I know bumpy starts :D
    I must say that I wish less ppl cared about tablets, at least for gaming. I know I don't...
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    @Razor

What do you mean by the fonts are great, doesn't the shadow effect on item descriptions make it blurry to you? Am i taking crazy pills here?
  • IngentagIngentag Member Posts: 5
    Well considering the activity on the different forums, i would guess more people cares about PC :)
    And ye i dont say, i dont like the UI.. only the graphics that lacks a bit of work for larger monitors.
    ... and yee i dont think fonts are to bad either.. even though some people complain about that to.
  • BENVILHAVENBENVILHAVEN Member Posts: 25
    Im running a surround config, and the only way I can get it to work right in fullscreen is to disable monitors. The whole game doesn't scale right for me, let alone the gui, which still looks painful at 1080.