Skip to content

R. A. Salvatore (Spoilers)

Ruckus3Ruckus3 Member Posts: 73
This is a thread talking about nothing but Salvatore's works. Favorite book, character, weapon, fight scene, etc.
I gotta say the Sellswords trilogy was at least in my top 3. As far as characters that's simple, Jarlaxle. My favorite weapon is Aegis Fang, because it's freakin brutal.

Comments

• Aris4lifeAris4life Member Posts: 103
    edited November 2012
    I liked the saga where they saved Regis the most (can't remember the name of the saga...i think it was just "the forgotten realms"), favourite characters are Cadderly and Entreri (besides Drizzt for sure), weapons: the weapons of drizzt + charon's claw (because i hate mages in every single game in which they are my enemies) favourite fight scene might be the fight between Errtu and Drizzt.

Additionaly my saddest moment of reading his books...the part between the two chapters where everybody realizes that Drizzt's friends are all dead.
    Ruckus3
  • Ruckus3Ruckus3 Member Posts: 73
    I'm with ya when it comes to hating wizards. I'd say my saddest was when Cadderly sacrificed himself.
    Aris4life
  • dtaquetdtaquet Member Posts: 25
    What book would be a good introduction to his world, as well as setting the atmosphere for baldur's gate?
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    edited November 2012
    dtaquet said:

What book would be a good introduction to his world, as well as setting the atmosphere for baldur's gate?

"Homeland," the first book in the "Dark Elf Trilogy" is chronologically the first book in the Drizzt series, although it was published after the "Icewind Dale Trilogy," which is the next trilogy in the series. It would probably make sense to start there and read the books in order so that you understand what is going on in the series.

Although they mostly take place in the Underdark, "Homeland," "Exile," and "Sojourn" (the three books in that first trilogy) may be good places to start in terms of relevance to Baldur's Gate as well because Viconia's family, House DeVir, is mentioned several times in them and interacts with Drizzt's. It might be good background if you want to understand Viconia better, such as what her cultural background/home city, is, etc. and how some of the other groups perceive Drow. Viconia herself isn't in the books, as I think she left the Underdark before they start, but it seems relevant anyway.

I don't think Drizzt ever actually visits the Baldur's Gate or Athkatla areas during the books, so I can't think of any books that really fit geographically for the broader Baldur's Gate games. The main villain in the "Icewind Dale Trilogy" is the same villain that is in the Icewind Dale computer game though, and some of the same places are mentioned, so if you've played that game or are interested in doing so, than the "Icewind Dale Trilogy" might be a worth reading.
    dtaquetRuckus3PhoenixDown
  • dtaquetdtaquet Member Posts: 25
    Thank you ARKdeEREH, I will look them up as ebooks.
    Ruckus3
    edited November 2012
    He visited Baldur's Gate during his trip to the sea with this Captain (i think Deudermont was his name) together with Wulfgar.
    Ruckus3
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    After reading Game of Thrones and some Robin Hobbs books all Salvatores books seem like some childs fairytales like Harry Potter but i still like them and the best one from them for me was The Cleric Quintet.
    LOL! I found Game of Thrones kinda boring XD To me the Salvatore books are the best written fantasy books right after The Lord of the Rings...but that might be because i read many more books from the forgotten realms, I can recommend the books by Ed Greenwood (the Elminster Saga). I like the whole world around the forgotten realms and the planes. :D

And for the ones who might not know...this premade character named Abdel refers to the maincharacter from the books of the Baldur's Gate Saga. So he kinda takes our place as the hero in the books :D
    Ruckus3
    edited November 2012
    Hey bud, it actually started with the icewind dale trilogy, then people loved his character Drizzt so he wrote the dark elf trilogy explaining his bad ass backstory. Elminster was pretty sweet, the whole gender change thing kinda threw me though. Anybody read the newest ones, Gauntlgrym, Charon's Claw, or Neverwinter?
    Aris4life
    I read Gauntlygrym and im currently reading Neverwinter (the last third)!
    Ruckus3
    They're crazy, that's for damn sure. I'm not going to ruin it for you, just be ready for some awesome twists, and freaking brutal fight scenes.
    Aris4life
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    edited December 2012
    I've read all the Drizzt books except for the three he wrote with his son. The Neverwinter Saga is very good so far. But they're very different from the others, for one thing they take place like 200 years later. I think the next one is coming out in March.
    Ruckus3PhoenixDown
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    Personally my favorite character is Catti-bree. But his supporting cast has always been the personalization of emotions that Drizzt is feeling. I have my own suspicious of a return of Catti-Brie as well.

I have read them all as well, and I believe the end of the Neverwinter Saga is due out in March considering that Salvatore is supposed to be writing the first book for The Sundering that is the herald for D&D Next which is due out in August.

Also Jaraxle is my second favorite, and almost tied with Catti-Brie.
    Ruckus3PhoenixDown
    For a girl character, Catti-Brie is beast and hands down my favorite. That being said, she still doesn't even come close to Jarlaxle. I mean seriously, they can't even sacrifice the dude. Haha but seriously I've always liked her, I absolutely hated every chapter that she was in that magic haze deal.
    Dragonspear
    edited December 2012
    as a female character i liked Dannica too :D I liked the idea of a female monk (although it's not typical in terms of lore...but remember...we read about a dwarven druid in the Cadderly saga...so what's typical? :P).
    Ruckus3Dragonspear
    Haha yep, poor Pikel. One armed doo-dad is just as good though.
  • KnolandKnoland Member Posts: 206
    Drizzt is my Fav, But I have a real liking of Wulfgar as he would most match me in appearance and attitude. I love the series very much and read them over and over.
    Ruckus3
    You're a 7 ft barbarian with corded muscles that could pop a man's head like a pimple? Nice. Haha seriously though, that's why he wasn't my favorite because we have the same mentality. Somethin pisses me off, I punch it.
    Aris4life
  • PhoenixDownPhoenixDown Member Posts: 38
    edited December 2012
    Jarlaxle hands down for me is the best character in Salvatore books. Amazing intellect, all the magical gadgets and his opportunistic character is what made me love him with all my heart. Him and Artemis Entreri is the best combo in all Faerun! Absolutely loved the books where those two were involved with each other.

As Drizzt and his friends go - yes I really liked them too, enjoyed all their adventures and cheer for them with all my might. Well maybe aside from older Wulfgar. I found him really dull and annoying. He should just stay... well without spoiling too much: Later books should not be about him. Younger Wulfgar was my hero tho!

My favorite weapon will be of course Entreri's mighty duo: Vampiric Dagger and Charon's Claw, which have the most interesting magical abilities and the fencer using them is superb. Wulfgar hammer and Cattie bow comes close, but the duo is much more appealing in the end!
    Aris4lifeARKdeEREHRuckus3
  • drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    Homeland and Sojourn are two of my favorite books ever. I've read them so many times and would put them as Salvatore's best work. I've read every Drizzt back so other favorites would be Icewind Dale Trilogy, Sellswords Trilogy and Paths of Darkness. I didn't like the Hunter's Blade trilogy to much. I enjoyed the Pirate King. Ghost King had an amazing end ingdespite it being heartbreaking. I loved gauntlygrym but had to force myself to read Charon's Claw and Neverwinter. I don't think I'll read any of the future books since I feel Drizzt's story is already told and its just being dragged out.

War of the Spider Queen was really good. I loved the first, second and fifth one I think.

I've bought some of the Demon Wars Saga but haven't read them yet.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I read the dark elf trilogy but I didnt enjoy it too much :(
    Are there any books which are better?
  • StradlinStradlin Member Posts: 142
    edited December 2012
    @ajwz No.
    Don't pick up a Salvatore book expecting deep captivating quality fantasy. Fix a date with GRR Martin&co for that! Salvatore books are essentially fan service to Forgotten Realms fans. I remember thinking Icewind Dale&Drow Trilogies fill their lot in life perfectly well in this regard.

If you didn't like the Drow trilogy it is without a doubt very wise to stay very far away from all the rest, it most asuredly does NOT get better thaan that:p

ajwzPhoenixDownRuckus3
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Stradlin said:

@ajwz No.
    Don't pick up a Salvatore book expecting deep captivating quality fantasy. Fix a date with GRR Martin&co for that! Salvatore books are essentially fan service to Forgotten Realms fans. I remember thinking Icewind Dale&Drow Trilogies fill their lot in life perfectly well in this regard.

If you didn't like the Drow trilogy it is without a doubt very wise to stay very far away from all the rest, it most asuredly does NOT get better thaan that:p

Thanks man
    edited December 2012
    Stradlin said:

@ajwz No.

I agree on that. Salvatore books are far away from being fantasy master pieces and in my opinion they are not a "fan service". At least not the first 6 books the rest could possibly be called a fan service, but still they are written with so many mentions about past events that even a new reader could sit and know what's generally book is about.
    If I had to define style of his books I would say it's "easy fantasy". Salvatore books are written in a very easy, not complicated language and are smooth to read. You can literally finish a book in couple of evenings.
    Stradlin said:

Icewind Dale actually could interest a potential reader more as it is on the surface and you can easily put yourself in there as opposed to underground alien world of drow'ish city-state.
    Also I would put Icewind Dale trilogy on the same level as Drow trilogy. It has a very special place in my heart.

All this talk about Salvatore books makes me want to reread them! I didn't do it in years... if I only had more time.

ps
    I bet everyone who has even a slight interest in adventures of Drizzt and his friends seen it, but it will not hurt to post it:

I love how this animation was made by a fan! So many details, which warms my inside. Like their walking order: Bruenor first who goes fast and strongly forward, Wulfgar a young barbarian that didn't seen a big world and looks around with great interest, Drizzt who is behind with hood on the head to avoid the sun, who waits from time to time for the slowest companion - Regis. Like in the book!
    And how badass is Artemis taking all Companions of the Hall by himself?! Guy has balls! Hehe. Music which plays when he enters the stage - sooo Calimshan. Drizzt wounded him two times, Entreri only once = drow always one step ahead of him(notice that tired look of Calimport assassin). Details, details I love them all.
    Post edited by PhoenixDown on
    StradlinRuckus3
  • StradlinStradlin Member Posts: 142
    That does look awesome!
  • GreedySadistGreedySadist Member Posts: 15
    Mhm. My favorite character from Salvatores FR books is Jarlaxle (for quite obvious reasons.) Next ones following up are Entreri and a bit further away Pwent for the laughs he gives me when i read the books.
    Never really liked Drizzt myself, he just seems like "i have everything maxed" kind of guy. And its annoying that he ALWAYS faces enemies who just enter the battle with fireballs in both hands (Fireballs, always these fireballs!)
    Now then, favorite fighting scene? I suppose it is at the end of Lonely Drow. Favorite weapon gotta be Taulmaril.
    Favorite book? Mine is Sojourn
    edited December 2012

M Pwent for the laughs he gives me when i read the books.

Pwent! Oh boy I totally forgot about that guy and his "suicide squad". Aside from the king himself he was one of the funniest dwarfs in Bruenor ranks.

Never really liked Drizzt myself, he just seems like "i have everything maxed" kind of guy. And its annoying that he ALWAYS faces enemies who just enter the battle with fireballs in both hands (Fireballs, always these fireballs!)

I don't like this argument ever and I heard it repeated so many times.

"I don't like Drizzt, because he is awesome and mainstream"

He's far from being ideal and worked hard to end up "maxed"(remember how he acquired his speed bracers? It wasn't an easy victory). He was defeated many times by both his masters, outmaneuvered many times by Jarlaxle(and was somewhere said that Jarlaxle was quite possibly a better fencer in the end) and battled always on edge. I don't know what people want from him. One of the best fencer in the world, equipped with godly items and main hero of the books. He can't end up dying and I can't simply see how he is not likeable as character especially when you read all the books. So much physical and emotional development.

EDIT: btw I can't recall that many wizards Drizzt faced. The only wizard fight with many fireballs I can remember is Artemis vs Calimport guild battlemage.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    Jaraxle is just a complete boss who can't die. People call him a Fighter but he strikes me more as a Swashbuckler who thoroughly enjoys his Use Any Item ability.

Also I love Dannica and Pikel as well, to the point that I refer to all druids as doodads at this point. Cadderly's character is interesting as well. He's pretty much a Favored Soul before the class is invented. Also Twent and Bruenor are badasses in their own regard. Drizzt was cool at the start of the series, but I definitely feel that he's propped up by a top notch supporting cast. Even Regis grew to a character you really liked instead of just someone along for the ride as the books went on. I can't wait to see what directions Salvatore takes Drizzt in The Last Threshold (March 2013) and The Companions (August 2013).
  • GreedySadistGreedySadist Member Posts: 15

M Pwent for the laughs he gives me when i read the books.

Pwent! Oh boy I totally forgot about that guy and his "suicide squad". Aside from the king himself he was one of the funniest dwarfs in Bruenor ranks.

I don't like this argument ever and I heard it repeated so many times.

"I don't like Drizzt, because he is awesome and mainstream"

He's far from being ideal and worked hard to end up "maxed"(remember how he acquired his speed bracers? It wasn't an easy victory). He was defeated many times by both his masters, outmaneuvered many times by Jarlaxle(and was somewhere said that Jarlaxle was quite possibly a better fencer in the end) and battled always on edge. I don't know what people want from him. One of the best fencer in the world, equipped with godly items and main hero of the books. He can't end up dying and I can't simply see how he is not likeable as character especially when you read all the books. So much physical and emotional development.

EDIT: btw I can't recall that many wizards Drizzt faced. The only wizard fight with many fireballs I can remember is Artemis vs Calimport guild battlemage.
    Its not only reason why i don't like him. And i used to like Drizzt but IMO the other characters are way more interesting than Drizzt. Yeah, i explained it quite badly why i didn't like him. And sure, he has faced all kinds of troubles and he is supposed to be "overpowered"
    about "entering the fight with fireballs in both hands" was referring to fire using enemies.
    Obould : Flaming two handed sword
    Valindra : Threw a fire ball in Gauntlgrym.
    Hephaestus : Red Dragon, fire.
    Errtu : Flame wall?
    Anyways. This post kind of disagrees with my earlier post and thanks to it it may be seen as "trying to save my hide" type of post. Also, I think that Jarlaxle is more "overpowered" than Drizzt. Also the emotional development between Ghost King and Gauntlgrym was kind of weird. I mean, of course if you lose your friend and wife you change but he thought he had lost them and he didn't turn "grayish" sort of person. More like berserk mode against orcs. TBH I don't know how to express what i feel about Drizzt in english. This post doesn't make any sense, why did i even post this?
    Also, part of why i don't like Drizzt could be it that he shows up in *almost* every book what Salvatore has done about FR. Maybe his emotional and physical development has turned him to the way what i don't like? Who knows.
  • drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    Just picked up Kingdoms of Amalur today so that should tie my over until the Mac release of BG:EE