Skip to content

Can't enter buildings?

LoctaviusLoctavius Member Posts: 16
edited November 2012 in Windows PC (Archive)
So - maybe I'm stupid. I have the game running and I am in Candlekeep. I've talked to the tutors and whatnot, but I can not enter any buildings. The door opens, I get the icon with the arrow to go in, but left clicking or right clicking won't let me in any of the buildings, like the barracks to retrieve the sword for the guard. WTH?

Anyway, THANK YOU OVERHAUL! If I can figure out how to enter buildings, I will buy every Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, or Torment overhaul you produce, probably on multiple platforms. Baldur's Gate II is still the best game ever made, and I am BEYOND THRILLED that I am going to get to play it all over - just like it was new.

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I have always wanted to say this in a genuine conversation:
    "You must gather your party before adventuring forth"

Hopefully that should fix it. If not, its a serious bug.
    Calmar
  • LoctaviusLoctavius Member Posts: 16
    I'm a party of one, so ... yeah. I'm gathered. :)
    Calmar
    edited November 2012
    Just loaded my save - still not working. My character steps into the doorway as if she is going to enter, but then stops to where I can just see her legs. She can walk back out, close the door and open it, but still can't walk in. So I can't complete the "Hull's Sword" quest, I can't enter Candlekeep, I can't enter Reevor's Storehouse to kill the rats. I can't enter any of the buildings on the first map. I'm a sad panda.
    Working now. :) I started a new game with one of the pre-made characters, got him inside of a building, then quit, loaded my save, and now she can go in buildings. Go figure. I'm off to kill stuff, and now I'm a happy panda!
    Calmar
  • wissenschaftwissenschaft Member Posts: 229
    I just got this bug however, the bug even shows up on new characters now. My game is unplayable now because I can neither open doors nor enter new areas!
  • wissenschaftwissenschaft Member Posts: 229
    Nevermind, it some how cleared up all of sudden. This seems like a really weird bug.
  • johnsojohnso Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2012
    Same problem here on ipad mini. Tried loading a few times then it cleared up mostly.

Edit: Nope, still remains. I don't know if it the angle I approach the building or the small target (or a genuine bug), but some buildings resist entry via a party or just myself. I'm in a different town, Beregost, and I can't get into the Friendly Arm Inn easily. The Thunrderhammer Smithy was fine, but the Inn took a few dozen attempts and even then I'm not sure how I got in (maybe I went back to the main menu screen and came back).
    Post edited by johnso on
  • VargsmalVargsmal Member Posts: 1
    I'm getting this too. I tried starting a new game with both a pre-made and a new custom character, no one seems to be able to enter buildings. It seem like I can usually get in to the Barracks ok, but not the Inn or the Storehouse. Very strange and considering how massively pumped I was about playing this again, really disappointing. Did any of you figure out what "fixed" this by any chance?
  • SybarSybar Member Posts: 8
    I'm experiencing the same problem. I tried to play with my friend and within the first 20 seconds of the game we were hit by this strange bug. I can open doors and enter buildings without any problems. However, my friend is not so 'lucky'. He can't either open doors or enter buildings.

Are we going to receive any update from the developers?
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    I believe that this was a problem with Zoom that was resolved a number of updates ago. Can you tell us what version you are running?
    I bought BG:EE on Steam yesterday. The version is v1.02.2014
    Me and my friend are using the exact same version of BG:EE.
    Yet, mine works fine, I can open doors and enter buildings; but he can't.
  • DayvanCowboyDayvanCowboy Member Posts: 1
    I've had this problem as well. Turns out I was right clicking the whole time... where left clicking is the answer...
    I don't know if you were joking or just trying to be silly. Any idea how to fix this problem?
    No, I don't think he was joking - you can move your character by right-clicking, but not interact with doors chests. It is a question worth asking.

I'm afraid we can't reproduce this. The problem we had with zoom wouldn't affect doors, and we haven't had any other reports of this that I am aware of. Two suggestions that may or may not help:

*Go into options and disable hardware mouse cursor
    *If you have a 3rd party mouse driver, uninstall it an use the native Windows mouse driver.
    edited July 2013
    It works!

I told my friend to uncheck the HARDWARE MOUSE CURSOR in the Graphic options and now he can open doors and enter buildings.

We do have another problem though. His character doesn't talk. If he or me clicks on his character, in the chat window we can see a dialog but he doesn't actually say anything. We changed things in the options to increase the amount of stuff characters say, but it didn't help.

Any idea?

Thanks for sorting out the previous problem.
    Is he hearing any sound (music, background sounds)? If he clicks on NPCs and move them, do they give dialog?
    He is hearing all sounds, he can talk to NPCs and hear their voice. Player controlled characters don't make any noise.
    Which soundset is he using? (Character Record, Customize, Sounds) Does he hear the sound when he selects one and clicks "Play" on the above screen?
    edited July 2013
    During the character creation he can hear all sounds. All female and male voice sets. However, once he gets inside the game there're gone. Looks like all assets are there.

I appreciate the effort Cerevant. Shame I can't get on his laptop and record the whole bug with the Fraps or something.
    Can you confirm that the Voice volume is turned up in the Sound options?

Here is something he can try - unzip this and put it into the same directory as Baldur.exe (I don't know where this is on the Steam installation)