Skip to content

Dorn and Neera CANNOT be one shotted.

LinkamusLinkamus Member Posts: 221
edited January 2013 in Fixed
Current Behavior - Seems impossible for Neera or Dorn to be one-shotted (In Melee At Least). It seems the Max hit possible on them is Max HP minus 1. So if Dorn has 8 HP, the most he can be hit for at one time is 7. I've tested it with Dorn at level 1, and Neera at level 1 and level 2.

Expected Behavior - They should be able to be killed in one hit. No matter how hard I try I cannot get them killed in one hit. Even walking up to an ogre at level 1 completely naked, I cannot be one-shotted.

EDIT: This same issue may apply with spell damage also.. I will test it tonight.
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• mattinmmattinm Member Posts: 18
    Dorn was definitely one-shotted in the Nashkel Mines for me. But, that was on a critical (forgot to put a helmet on him... promptly remembered). It did exactly 8 damage.
  • LinkamusLinkamus Member Posts: 221
    Oh, I think in all my testing I never saw a crit.. I will try to get one now.
    I just used Dorn to Crit on Neera - Neera currently has 8 HP, the crit did 7 damage. And since you take double damage in insane difficulty, a hit of 7 should be impossible to begin with.
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    Hmmm that is odd. I haven't played Neera yet, but Dorn has been one-shotted twice so far for me. Once by me when I attacked him before he joined my party at the Inn (I couldn't resist, he pissed me off). Then, after a reload, in Nashkel he was one-shotted by a crit from Mulahey.
    edited November 2012
    Was he at max HP when this happened toanwrath? Like I said in the description, the max hit allowable on him or neera is their MAX HP minus 1.
  • Whitewind617Whitewind617 Member Posts: 9
    edited November 2012
    Hmm, odd. I remember when my whole party was level one in Beregost, Neera accidentally fired a lightning bolt. It hit 2 characters, Kalid and Neera, and both survived with one HP. They were both at maximum health. Are you sure this isn't a bug with every character in the game? Because I remember thinking that was odd at the time since they obviously had different max HPs.

EDIT: At least I think it was Neera. Khalid and someone with lower health survived with 1 HP both, which should not have happened.
    Finally someone that noticed the same issue! I am not alone!
  • FinkmilkanaFinkmilkana Member Posts: 6
    I can confirm that this bug is present with Neera, haven't had Dorm in my group yet.
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    I think this is not depending on Dorn and Neera. Somebody on the old boards once commented that with the BG2 engine, level1 characters cannot be killed in 1 hit.
  • AADA7AAADA7A Member Posts: 32
    I remember watching a run where someone managed to clear the whole game in baldurs gate original with a level one character, and managed to avoid traps simply by walking into them and not dying, which zie explained by the fact that one didn't die when that happened, for some reason. People have been managed to be killed in the fight between gorion and sarevok in enhanced edition though...
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    AADA7A said:

People have been managed to be killed in the fight between gorion and sarevok in enhanced edition though...

Well, that's strange, that should be impossible.

I think this is not depending on Dorn and Neera. Somebody on the old boards once commented that with the BG2 engine, level1 characters cannot be killed in 1 hit.

Neera is level 2 in my party and still has the same issue.

Okay, I have confirmed the bug with Neera. Will now see to it that it comes to the devs' attention.
    Linkamus

Okay, I have confirmed the bug with Neera. Will now see to it that it comes to the devs' attention.

Cool, and like I said, so far I've only seen it happen with Neera and Dorn, it's possible it could be affecting others.

Tested with Garrick because he was close at hand. He proved mortal. I have one more suspect for the list (there are 3 new characters after all, but I don't think the old characters are affected by this bug.
  • LanatirLanatir Member Posts: 33
    Neera gets oneshotted all the time in my party. Actually noone dies more often than her.
    So apparently the bug is only affecting some people? Strange.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    edited November 2012
    If a PC's maxhp is < 14 they cannot be oneshotted. This is an intended playability feature that was present in BG2 too. Actually BGEE has an override for this, so it is possible to mod away this help.

Weapons with extra damage, magic missiles, etc count as 2 (or more hits), so that doesn't count as one shot.
    TanthalasLinkamuslolien
  • iZEiZE Member Posts: 4
    All people who have been testing and reporting this issue has used his own party-member to try to one-shot. Can it be that you can NOT one-shot yourself with friendly fire? I have had a custom character one-shot by a wolf at level 1 (wolf did 8 damage with crit) so it is possible to be one-shot at level 1. But maybe not by your own doing.

If a PC's maxhp is < 14 they cannot be oneshotted. This is an intended playability feature that was present in BG2 too. Actually BGEE has an override for this, so it is possible to mod away this help.

Weapons with extra damage, magic missiles, etc count as 2 (or more hits), so that doesn't count as one shot.

Oh wow, this it is working as intended? That is a very strange rule if so.
    edited November 2012
    iZE said:

All people who have been testing and reporting this issue has used his own party-member to try to one-shot. Can it be that you can NOT one-shot yourself with friendly fire? I have had a custom character one-shot by a wolf at level 1 (wolf did 8 damage with crit) so it is possible to be one-shot at level 1. But maybe not by your own doing.

I've tried it both ways. I had an ogre swinging at a naked neera, and he always hit her for 7 damage (her max HP is 8).

edit: And this bug only applies to neera and dorn thus far.
  • iZEiZE Member Posts: 4

If a PC's maxhp is < 14 they cannot be oneshotted.

I was one-shot by a crit from a wolf doing 8 hp damage on my rogue. (Posted this in the previous comment but it was stuck among all my other rambling.)
    edited November 2012
    What was your PC's max hp?

Well, most likely you didn't see the second hit coming (or the first).
    If your PC has more than 1 current hp, they won't be killed if their maxhp is <14.</p>

No, this is not how it's behaving. Let's say Neera has a max HP of 8, and she is currently at 4 hp, and I let an ogre swing at her, it will hit her for 7, thus killing her.

edited November 2012
    Also, I'm pretty sure I have had other NPCs other than Neera and Dorn be one-shotted with having lower than 14 max hp.
    Linkamus said:

Well, most likely you didn't see the second hit coming (or the first).
    If your PC has more than 1 current hp, they won't be killed if their maxhp is <14.</p>

No, this is not how it's behaving. Let's say Neera has a max HP of 8, and she is currently at 4 hp, and I let an ogre swing at her, it will hit her for 7, thus killing her.

Yes, and that is not one shotting.
    When I get home from work I will do more extensive testing to see if the "<14 max HP" rule applies across the board. If it does, and it is an intended feature, I can live with that, even though it makes no sense to me.

Garrick doesn't start out with more than 13 HP does he? Humanoid_Taifun tested with him, and he was getting one-shotted.
    I did testing tonight. I started a new party, picked up Montoron, Xzar, and Imoen. All 4 party members were under 14 HP. All 4 party members could not be one shotted... So Avenger_teambg was completely correct. What a WEIRD mechanic... I honestly think it should be removed. It just makes no sense.
    Linkamus said:

Garrick doesn't start out with more than 13 HP does he? Humanoid_Taifun tested with him, and he was getting one-shotted.

I had advanced him to level 2. Did not know about the 14 HP rule before.
    I never stop learning new things about this game...