Skip to content

Dual Switching Laptops, nVidia WITH Intel chips and performance issues/white boxes?

Comments

• TieokenTieoken Member Posts: 23
    Okay guys, my PC doesn't have NVidia or Geforce drivers and when I tried to install them it came up as incompatible. I have an intel(R) HD graphics chip on a windows seven. It seems like problems are getting resolved I just can't figure out how?
  • TaddeoMaidenTaddeoMaiden Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2012
    I'm having the white box issue, even with Radeon graphics...
    Intel Core i7, AMD Radeon HD 6630.
  • ibitatoibitato Member Posts: 64
    Tieoken said:

Okay guys, my PC doesn't have NVidia or Geforce drivers and when I tried to install them it came up as incompatible. I have an intel(R) HD graphics chip on a windows seven. It seems like problems are getting resolved I just can't figure out how?

take a look here
    not a final solution but just to keep going while de devs work it out
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/7385/important-regarding-intel-hardware-driver-issues-slow-game-performance#latest
  • LeronisLeronis Member Posts: 112
    @Nathan said:
    If you're having that issue, could you post here with what graphics chipset, is it a dedicated card or a laptop, and also make sure you update your drivers to the latest from www.nvidia.com?

IF you have a laptop, it's *possible* you may have one of the "switching" laptops with dual graphics, the intel video as well as the nvidia video. If this is the case, another community member e-mailed me with their solution:

"I SOLVED it running the game ONLY with the GEFORCE, it looks like my notebook had the INTEL chipset as predefinite video card... There is an options in NVIDIA graphic panel to make the options "run with accelerator graphic" appear in the contextual menu (the one clicking with the right click on the icons). Selecting that, the game start without problem :)
    I hope you can write this in the support forum :)"

Installed no problem on my desktop i5 Nvidia 55Ti.

White screen troubles on my Lenovo y580 Lapee i7 GTX660 were solved by going into Nvidia Control Panel settings and forcing use of the 660. Modern Lapees switch on the fly between the IntelHD4000 and Nvidea to extend battery time, so this should be commonplace these days, not just "possible".
  • rexorvalgrindrexorvalgrind Member Posts: 4
    Intel i7-2670QM + Radeon HD6770M (drivers up to date) also Intel integrated, dual system, I selected in graphics configuration baldurs gate to use the radeon but the problem remains

the baldurs.ini edit doesn´t solve anything

1440x900 screen resolution
  • JoeWalkerJoeWalker Member Posts: 75
    I'm using Intel Pentium P6200, 2.13 GHz , 3MB L3 cache, Intel HD Graphics, 3GB DDR3 Memory, 500 GB HDD and my game lags very badly as do the videos making them unwatchable. The sound also makes a static sort of sound. The upside is that it doesn't crash and so far, with a lot of patience, I've been able to reach the FAI.

Does anyone have any ideas for me to get it to work properly? I saw something about a directX thing, how long until something like that would be available?

Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks
  • LazarusNineLazarusNine Member Posts: 44
    edited November 2012
    smoke0012 said:

I couldn't find a guide for fixing stuttering during the game and cinematics so Just as a note, for laptops with the NVIDIA GT 540M graphics card, the steps you need to take on window 7 to fix stuttering in game/cinematics are:

right click desktop
    select "Nvidia Control Panel" from drop down menu
    select the category "manage 3D settings"
    In both tabs ("Global settings" and "program settings") change the preffered graphic selector to high performance Nvidia processor

I just wanted to state that this solution worked for me (actually, my friend, as I'm still holding out for the Mac version). We were having the 'white screen' problem when the game loaded up. We could hear sound and select menu items (blindly), but were unable to see anything. He owns a computer with the following specs:

Asus N55SL
    Core i5, 2.5GHz (or thereabouts) - includes the Intel HD3000 integrated chip
    Discrete GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT 635M
    6GB RAM
    500GB HDD

It would seem that the game is defaulting to the HD3000 chip (perhaps?), so it needs to be 'forced' into choosing the discrete GPU. Perhaps this can be addressed in a future update? Thanks for seeking feedback from the community.
    Acer Aspire 7741Z
    Intel Pentium P6200 (2.13GHz, 3MB L3 cache)
    Intel HD Graphics
    3GB DDR3 Memory
    500Gb HDD

When I play the game it lags very badly and so do the videos making them both rubbish. I haven't had any crashes or white screens and am able to play the game just not at the proper speed. I checked on the intel website for any updates for my drivers etc but I am up to date so I changed the baldur.exe file to compatibility mode win95 and there was a significant decrease in lagging making gameplay a little better.

Does anyone have any suggestions to stop the lagging any more?

• jerseyjabronijerseyjabroni Member Posts: 6
    My screen is all jagged. Cutscenes and menu works.

Windows XP Media Center Edition
    2GB of RAM
    ATI Radeon Mobility X300 drivers are as up to date as I can find.

Nothing and no response to my thread. I want a refund if they can't fix it. I will just get the Mac Edition which I know will work as its not an nVidia.I should've waited for that. :-/
  • gdubbs66gdubbs66 Member Posts: 29
    Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2367M CPU @1.40 Ghz (4 CPUs) ~1.4GHZ
    4096MB RAM.

Windows 7

Black background, White screen. Music playing with pointer turned into a hand. I can click on buttons, but they don't do anything...tried @ibitato's suggestion and it didn't work
  • mannnnniemannnnnie Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2012
    Had the white box problem. as soon as i opened in windowed mode, it worked, albeit a little laggy-ly.

(win 7, core i5, intel integrated graphics)
    okay...after putzing around checking updates and finding that my drivers were uptodate I started the game and it worked...I immediately shut it down and tried to start it again, and it didn't work...I'm confused...
    abusiveranger
    okay...I tried window mode and it is working...for now...will comment later on performance...
  • doppleganger95doppleganger95 Member Posts: 27
    @nathan
    Thank you very much for the tip on editing the ini file. I was having the issue where I would only get a white screen and sound. I edited that file and now the game launches fine.
  • abusiverangerabusiveranger Member Posts: 1
    i fu*king hate this game and want a refund the graphics issues are too much, ssooooooooo frustrating!!!!!!!!! $20 for nothing but a fing headache
    kcmillhouse
  • bluefunoodle311bluefunoodle311 Member Posts: 4

@nathan
    Thank you very much for the tip on editing the ini file. I was having the issue where I would only get a white screen and sound. I edited that file and now the game launches fine.

I did this as well and it works fine in windowed mode, but any time I go into settings to change it to full screen it starts blinking like crazy.

• BeotaftBeotaft Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2012
    Has anyone got this to work on an alienware mx11 r1? ive got it to work twice but then it wont reopen, ive used the compatability modes made a windowed shortcut, played with drivers, moved it to the root directory, altered the ini file, my nvidia control panel dosent have the option everyones talking about... nothin. it just does nothing when i click on it
  • elfuegoelfuego Member Posts: 28
    Beotaft said:

Has anyone got this to work on an alienware mx11 r1?

I did. But forget about windows (the game doesnt even start) - install linux, get wine up and running and start the game within wine - it works flawlessly :)
    How do you go about installing Linux and are there any risks?
    JoeWalker said:

How do you go about installing Linux and are there any risks?

For complete start up guide, read the simple tutorial on ubuntu website here http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu
    If you have a spare hard drive (or an empty partition), there are no risks. Just follow exactly what the installation tutorial says and there will be no difficulties. After installing ubuntu, add Wine with directx and dot.net libraries (you can find a tutorial online, it is done in 5 clicks at most). For any other questions, refer to ubuntu forums because this discussion goes out of scope of this support forum.
  • PotsdamEdPotsdamEd Member Posts: 4
    WORKS!
  • ih8picklesih8pickles Member Posts: 6
    After the update I cant get the game to start at all anymore. Way to go Beamdog.
    aquaman214
  • KylleKylle Member Posts: 13
    Beotaft said:

Has anyone got this to work on an alienware mx11 r1?

Hey buddy, I got it to work by setting compatibility to Vista SP1, and changing the resolution every time I started the game. Literally change the res to anything, hit ok, change it back to what I usually have and start the game.

Worked a treat... until I stupidly downloaded the latest patch... now i'm back to the beginning! I wonder if I download it again and don't install the patch if it'd work...
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited December 2012
    --Wrong Thread--
    Post edited by bigdogchris on
    OK, after a couple of updates, the game now runs on Windows 7 as well (alienware m11x r1) . Good work devs! ^_^
  • RockabyeRy87RockabyeRy87 Member Posts: 2
    Intel hd graphics 3000 here, and I had the white box problem as well.

In order for me to get it to play I had to open the .exe file located under the 0076 folder under program files, a la "C:\Program Files (x86)\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766"

Once that was open I was able to start a game just fine. However, I have to make sure every time I exit the game I exit in in "windowed" mode, otherwise it will not start again.

Should you close the game in full screen mode, you can always edit the .ini file under my documents. This file/directory isn't created until you've started the game successfully at least once.
  • DaliborDalibor Member Posts: 3
    Hello, I have a problem with picture in the game. It looks like this: http://www.php-gympl.wz.cz/bgee.jpg (it should be a scene next to a Candlekeep Inn). I use HP Probook with Core i5 2450M, and dualized graphic cards: first is Intel HD graphics and the second AMD Radeon HD6490M (1GB). Can you help me how to repair it? Here I only read problems and solutions with nVidia, but nothing for Radeon.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited December 2012
    For people that want to right click on the game to run with the accelerated graphics, make sure you're running baldur.exe from the 00766 folder.Running with accelerator of the shortcut link in start menu is only the launcher, not the actual game.
  • kevzeviltwinkevzeviltwin Member Posts: 6
    When I launch game the main screen just flashes and there are no words. Click to play because I know the screen the next screen no words, the character screen and load screen no words.

Alienware 14x R2
    Windows Home Premium 64
    3rd gen i7-3630qm 6mb 3.4ghz
    8g 1600mhz
    750gb 7200 rpm sata
    2gb gddr5 nvidia gt650 (drivers updated)
  • kcmillhousekcmillhouse Member Posts: 1
    I'm running with Asus Lappy, intel core i7, Geforce GTX 560m, Windows 7.

White square of death. After I tried EVERYTHING on here, the best I could get was a black screen of death.

There is no .ini file in my data folder, I have installed/reinstalled 5 times.

I still dont see where the "preferred graphic selector" is on my Nvidia screen.

I've never had such a hard time getting a game to work in my life.