Skip to content

Journal entries listed but don't appear (likely going to have spoilers in thread)

elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
edited December 2013 in Fixed
Current Behavior: Items that appear in the bottom of the screen as "journal updates" aren't appearing. I've looked in the "Journal", "Quest", and "Done Quest" tabs and in more than a few instances found nothing.

I will update this as I can with more specific examples, but it has occurred numerous times.

I'm in the city of Baldur's Gate at the moment, but don't let that fool you into thinking this only started recently.

For example: While talking to a commoner in Baldur's Gate he mentioned that "Duke Eltan's been mobilising the flaming fist." It says at the bottom that my journal has been updated under the headline "rising tensions with amn", but as I see it now my journal only has two entries for chapter five. One that discusses running into Elminster again, and the second is describing how I dealt a terrible blow to the iron throne and now must go to Baldur's Gate. It is also not listed or mentioned in any other chapter.

Expected behaviour: When a journal entry is listed as being added, it should appear at least under the "journal" section of the journal screen.
Post edited by Balquo on
Tanthalas

Comments

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    This is definitely a bug. Please report the titles of missing entries.

@Balquo @Tanthalas Move this to Bugs.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @elminster

When this happens could you give us specifics of the situation? It will be easier to track down the buggy entries and correct them.
    elminster
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Yea sure I'm sort of busy at the moment but I will update the thread as soon as I am able.
  • AndyMAndyM Member Posts: 21
    Yes, I've also encountered this. Just travelled south to Bergost and encountered Neera - her story entries did not register in the Journal. I travelled west and encountered Nivan - his story also did not register in the journal. I get the note at the screen bottom but this then does not transfer to Journal. One other example is the thief at High Hedge - he gives you a clue, but that does not register. It's happened a few times from what I can see.
    Updated with one example, I will update further as I have time.
    edited November 2012
    @AndyM I wouldn't want to say I'm glad I'm not the only one...but from a sanity perspective I'm glad I'm not the only one :)
  • KoekenmakerKoekenmaker Member Posts: 21
    i have multiple missing entries *Madness of most Fowl *Melicap the chicken *Rescuing Dynahier * Neera what is your advise guys start over ? :P
    edited November 2012
    Still on the topic of journal entry problems. For whatever reason my entry for Scar approaching me when I entered the city (where he asks you to meet him) is appearing in chapter 2 under "quests" as "important events". This should not be the case. This may be because I was last viewing chapter 2 in the journal (not sure), but even then it shouldn't do that.
    Maybe all this happend because i found melicap the chicken first ,took him to the wiz then returned to the area and got madness of the most fowl which i couldn,t complete , because he was already at the wizard.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited November 2012
    elminster said:

Still on the topic of journal entry problems. For whatever reason my entry for Scar approaching me when I entered the city (where he asks you to meet him) is appearing in chapter 2 under "quests" as "important events". This should not be the case. This may be because I was last viewing chapter 2 in the journal (not sure), but even then it shouldn't do that.

Unfortunately, it is intended behavior. You're meant to see Important Events for your current chapter no matter where you are.
    edited November 2012
    I have Melicamp listed as a quest in my "done quests" section, so it may be fine for me I'm not certain. Another thing I've noticed is that "done quests" aren't organised according to the chapter you finish them in. For me it says that I finished the Nashkel Mines in Chapter 4, when in the original game that quest ending ends chapter 3 (if I'm not mistaken).
    One thing to add is that entries don,t advance either even when you are able to complete these quests.
    edited November 2012
    Jalily said:

elminster said:

Unfortunately, it is intended behavior. You're meant to see Important Events for your current chapter no matter where you are.
    Hmm...interesting. I guess I can see where they are coming from there.

I think there are still bugs with that though. In my case it still says I need to see Tranzig. I saw him already, he spilled his guys to me, and then I killed him so its a little odd that its still listed as a current event :p. Maybe it is doing that because I did not grab a scroll off of him, I'm not entirely certain whether I did or not, regardless he is dead so...idk it probably shouldn't be there :)
  • rderekprderekp Member Posts: 46
    So, here is the behavior I see. Quests listed in the ‘Quests’ tab in the chapter they were assigned, then in ‘Done Quests’ in the chapter they are finished. However, when they are done, they don’t disappear from the original chapter, so it’s kind of confusing to see if you’ve finished or not.

Besides that, I am having the same trouble with Marianne’s Husband quest not showing as done, even though I’ve finished it, as well as Xvart Raids, Investigate the Nashkel Mines and Landrin’s Possessions (maybe I forgot one of those items, though?)