Skip to content

No sound - update: How to fix it!

2»

Comments

• AsmodiAsmodi Member Posts: 10
    Same for me, I ran the dxdiag and there is no hardware acceleration option on the sound tab, or any of the tabs for that matter. Are you running Win7 RomulanPaladin?
  • mursame2005mursame2005 Member Posts: 1
    MAY have a fix. worked great for me.

http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/Downloads/Forms/AllItems.aspx

download the file: oalinst
    unzip, install, blah blah blah
    try running baldur's gate again. i did, and had sound! :)
    Update: Just got the brilliant idea to plug in my Razer SWTOR headset and change default sound device to them and sound works perfect. It would seem it's a Realtek or ATI HDMI audio driver issue then. Can we get a fix please?! :-)

I already tried this and it didn't do anything. Using my headset does though.
  • DrudenhausDrudenhaus Member Posts: 8
    The OpenAL installer didn't resolve the issue for me. Also, there is no such acceleration slider bar in dxdiag in W7 for me:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Galaine/no_such_slider_bar.png
  • RomulanPaladinRomulanPaladin Member Posts: 188
    Asmodi said:

Same for me, I ran the dxdiag and there is no hardware acceleration option on the sound tab, or any of the tabs for that matter. Are you running Win7 RomulanPaladin?

Nope! Windows XP.

Asmodi said:

Nope! Windows XP.
    Ah yeah, that's why. Win7 has no such options.
  • EZYEZY Member Posts: 12
    edited November 2012
    that solution didn't work for me either
  • wissenschaftwissenschaft Member Posts: 229
    edited November 2012

THANK YOU SO MUCH. This installer worked perfectly. Not only do I have sound but the game's movies run normally now.

THANK YOU! The movies play with a little static but nothing too annoying. Music plays perfectly.
    Ok the download through the Beamdog client is finally done. Still a no go on sound with both versions of the game installed.
    I tried all the above fixes too. No go
  • ArincArinc Member Posts: 5
    Tried using oalinst, rebooted the computer, no good here either.
    There has to be a common theme here; what are you all running for sound and video cards, and what type of output are you using for your sound?
  • alaundoalaundo Member Posts: 131
    EZY said:

The problem on my end seems to be the game doesn't run sound though spdif out or digital out. Which is quite strange considering that I've never had this problem with a game including the old BG games.

there is no hardware acceleration option for me under the sound card.

Yeah BGEE cant use SPDIF sound. When i plugin my headset directly in the soundcard the sound works. So far for ...BGEE will run on every toaster ^^
  • KrunoKruno Member Posts: 3
    Quick fix: Skip all this text and look to the bottom.

Guys. None of these solutions mentioned in this thread worked for me, however I did notice something about X-Fi cards not doing so well in the hardware compatibility FAQ on the forums. I use Beyerdynamic T1 with a Luxman P-200 and DA-200 amp, and DAC, and so SPDIF/TOSLINK output is essential.

What I did back, when I had just installed Windows 8, was allow the automatic update to install sound card drivers, I use an onboard X-Fi that comes with my G1 Assassin 2 mobo, and everything seemed to work post update, until yesterday. The odd thing about Windows' recommended drivers were a year old, which seemed odd to me. Anyhow, the default drivers installed under Windows 8 are recent and never gave me an issue. I should not have installed Creative's drivers through Windows update.

--------------
    SOLUTION
    --------------
    1. Go into device manager.
    2. Select the X-Fi device under "Sound, ... controllers".
    3. Update driver.
    4. "Browse my computer..."
    5. "Let me pick..."
    6. "High Definition Audio Device".

Problem should fix itself. By default this is not an issue with Windows 8, but with user error.

fluke13
  • GwaiGwai Member Posts: 18
    well well, folks at kat and piratebay are having exact same problem, seems like the releases are so low on quality nowadays, don't you think? :P
  • DerDuKeDerDuKe Member Posts: 88
    @Gwai: Troll somewhere else.

Someone already tried @Kruno 's tip? Although I solved the problem for myself it would be nice to update the OP to help everyone else to play _with_ ingame sounds!
    So you propose to use the default windows drivers if i get your post right Krunos?
  • KrunoKruno Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2012
    Default Windows 8 driver. My advice will not help those outside Windows 8 who thought it was a good idea to install a year old Creative driver because the Windows 8 optional update said it existed. Keep in mind that I use the G1 Assassin 2's on-board X-Fi, so my advice may not work on those with the actual cards, which have access to beta updates and whatnot from Creative anyway.
    Drudenhaus
    OT: very nice setup, Kruno! I demo-ed the T1 cans at Head-Fi's Can Jam in 2010. I'm running optical out => y1/y2 full++ DAC => PPA v2 amp=> Sennheiser HD-650 (DAC and amp DIY-ed)
    Kruno said:

Default Windows 8 driver. My advice will not help those outside Windows 8 who thought it was a good idea to install a year old Creative driver because the Windows 8 optional update said it existed. Keep in mind that I use the G1 Assassin 2's on-board X-Fi, so my advice may not work on those with the actual cards, which have access to beta updates and whatnot from Creative anyway.

this worked for me, i only tested the main screen but I'm getting sound....so thank you
  • KaldaienKaldaien Member Posts: 17
    edited November 2012
    RomulanPaldadin, you have to realize that option is only available in Windows XP. Microsoft WIndows 6.x+ (Vista / 7 / 8 -- yes Windows 7 is actually 6.1 and 8 is actually 6.2, lol) do not support the old DirectSound driver model, so there is no hardware acceleration option, even in dxdiag.
  • DerDuKeDerDuKe Member Posts: 88
    Updated the OP again. Let me know if one of the listed fixes works for you. I will continue to keep the list up to date.
    Zeckul
    Krunos fix is working on Win 7 also, just successfully tested it. Thx krunos ;)
    alaundo said:

Krunos fix is working on Win 7 also, just successfully tested it. Thx krunos ;)

Same here! Thanks, Kruno!
  • AshlspiessAshlspiess Member Posts: 26
    I have sound, however get crashes in certain areas that seem to be related to an audio problem. I do have an X-fi card, and wanted to try the method above, however when I go to 'Let me pick' for Creative SB X-Fi in Windows 7, only Creative X-fi Audio processor is available for compatible hardware.

If I uncheck show compatible hardware, I can scroll down to Microsoft and I see High Definition Audio device listed there, two versions, one from 2009 and one 2010. I don't think it's a good idea to go changing the driver however if it's not listed as compatible....thoughts?

Soundcard is X-fi Xtrememusic.
  • jonaswashejonaswashe Member Posts: 8
    Using the generic windows drivers for X-FI cards does allow sound and music in-game, but the generic drivers tend to causes severe audio distortion so that is by no means a fix. I've opened up a Bug report here for the X-fi cards issue:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/10350/bug-no-sound-or-music-x-fi-sound-cards-in-spdif-out#latest
  • Mog111Mog111 Member Posts: 22
    the link for creative labs is dead, i downloaded this and installed it worked immediatly after. http://originaldll.com/file/oalinst.exe/27161.html
  • elvee68elvee68 Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 35
    I downloaded the file above and installed, set my hardware acceleration to 2, turned off digital output and switched to headphone speakers. All works good now. I tried each tip listed individually and nothing would work. I combined the tips together and success!

Windows XP SP3.
  • kferi69kferi69 Member Posts: 4
    I install aolinst.zip/see above and use compatibility mode XP3 under WIN7