Skip to content

Romance Reviews?

Comments

• skrissakskrissak Member Posts: 24
    Velkir said:

Yeah im stuck on "Somedays im suprised you let me tag along" kissy part...unless i piss her off and not get the kiss she hasent said anything since then......and i can just talk to her to do this convo over and over

same here

• ZordrathZordrath Member Posts: 19
    Are we sure this is a bug though? It could simply be the last conversation she has. Though that would make this a very lame and obvious case of "to be continued, buy the next EE too plz" :P It would also mean that her romance progresses way too fast in my opinion, I got that conversation before I even reached the bandit camp.
  • VelkirVelkir Member Posts: 70
    Well the journal entry makes me think its a bug...im currently in chapter 4...going to clear the last mine and have the Baldur's Gate open..also the part where I can trigger the same convo over and over makes me think it might be a bug
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Dorn wouldn't even talk to my character, which surprised me. No join, no nothing. Not that I minded, as I'm not a big fan of such characters, but it's good to see variety with what to expect.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

Dorn wouldn't even talk to my character, which surprised me. No join, no nothing. Not that I minded, as I'm not a big fan of such characters, but it's good to see variety with what to expect.

Hahaha. Somebody hasn't played far yet. You'll meet him again whether you like it or not, and then he'll want to join your party.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    edited November 2012
    The "Some days I'm surprised you let me tag along, considering how dangerous my wild magic can be." dialogue is the last dialogue of the Neera romance, yes, and it should be triggering on rest. If it's not triggering on rest, can someone please let me know and I'll look into it further.

Additionally, it doesn't look like there are any variables there to stop it from repeating, which is strange; if you turn on cheats and open the CLUAConsole, write:
    CLUAConsole: SetGlobal("NEERA_ROMANCE","GLOBAL",3)

I think that should do it.
    Seriously? Its that freakin short?...well maybe there is gonna be something in the ending
  • CharybdisjimCharybdisjim Member Posts: 2
    ^^ It triggered on rest for me the first time. It could subsequently be triggered by me initiating conversation with her and automatically triggered upon concluding the Melkin confrontation (the guy in northern Baldur's Gate who she owed money too.) That triggering was the most problematic because it was an infinite loop and would retrigger as soon as it concluded and was blocking the conversation that was supposed to trigger then. The only way out of the infinite loop was to anger her during the conversation - which seems like it would break the romance.
  • zarffynzarffyn Member Posts: 175
    The "romances" in BGEE are starter romances--they are not designed to be fully fleshed out romance paths. It's the intention of the developers to bring these NPCs into BG2EE, and get into the romance further in depth there.

That said, I'm sure the modding community will eventually let you have ALL THE ROMANCE you want in BGEE. Give 'em time. :)
    Thanks Charybdisjim, I've figured it out--setting the above variable will definitely fix it, if the devs haven't already got a fix in the works I'll make one.
  • jscohenjscohen Member Posts: 117
    Kaeloree said:

There are three proto-romance dialogues for each character; the rest of the romance will be in SoA. :)

Really?! That's kind of awesome.
  • SylonceSylonce Member Posts: 65
    Seriously... the tag-along thing is Neera's last line in the game? This is a joke right?

While I understand that the romances wouldn't be fully fleshed out until BG2:EE (which is fine by me), that seems almost too disappointing. Even in terms of character development, it feels as though the dialogue presented in the game hasn't even scratched the surface on Neera's character yet. A few simple flirts and something that kind of resembles a kiss seems a bit of a blunt blow to immersion, especially considering as I am hardly past chapter 2 and haven't even finished her quest.

It's almost better not to have the romances at all in the game with this abruptness knowing that there is still many tens of hours of gameplay of pretty much same ole BG with the exception of a few "upgrades." Please tell me there is something else.
  • forest39forest39 Member Posts: 17
    i hated Rasaad, but Neera is great, dangerous because of her wild magic, but very entertaining, I hope they bring her back in BG2 EE and continue the romance because she is the most interesting Mage I have seen in the BG series, and there are a couple conversations between her and mimsc that are fairly entertaining
  • theacefestheacefes Member Posts: 85
    Sylonce said:

Seriously... the tag-along thing is Neera's last line in the game? This is a joke right?

While I understand that the romances wouldn't be fully fleshed out until BG2:EE (which is fine by me), that seems almost too disappointing. Even in terms of character development, it feels as though the dialogue presented in the game hasn't even scratched the surface on Neera's character yet. A few simple flirts and something that kind of resembles a kiss seems a bit of a blunt blow to immersion, especially considering as I am hardly past chapter 2 and haven't even finished her quest.

It's almost better not to have the romances at all in the game with this abruptness knowing that there is still many tens of hours of gameplay of pretty much same ole BG with the exception of a few "upgrades." Please tell me there is something else.

I'm thinking perhaps you're a bit spoiled from playing mod romances or more modern rpgs with full "romances" or maybe you don't remember, but vanilla BG1 NPCs were essentially packmules with very, very little interaction or dialogue.

Personally, yeah I agree, maybe no romances at all in BG1 would have been better. The original didn't have any and it was fine. If anything, having romances at all in the game is a bit of an immersion breaker since unmodded BG1 NPCs are mostly silent.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Any comments on Rasaad or Dorn romances?
  • ramenbitoramenbito Member Posts: 7
    shawne said:

Any comments on Rasaad or Dorn romances?

Personally I liked Dorn's romance talks, I didn't think I would like him at all but he is adorable in an evil way.

And I haven't been able to unlock Rasaad's quest yet but I really want to. =/

• RapscallionRapscallion Member Posts: 81
    Kaeloree said:

The "Some days I'm surprised you let me tag along, considering how dangerous my wild magic can be." dialogue is the last dialogue of the Neera romance, yes, and it should be triggering on rest. If it's not triggering on rest, can someone please let me know and I'll look into it further.

Additionally, it doesn't look like there are any variables there to stop it from repeating, which is strange; if you turn on cheats and open the CLUAConsole, write:
    CLUAConsole: SetGlobal("NEERA_ROMANCE","GLOBAL",3)

I think that should do it.

So how do I enable console without a baldur.ini file to edit?

But you've got one :)

My Documents/Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition/
  • RapscallionRapscallion Member Posts: 81
    edited December 2012
    Kaeloree said:

But you've got one :)

My Documents/Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition/

D'oh! Thanks for that :)
    EDIT: How do I edit this file?
  • xxxsmb1987xxxxxxsmb1987xxx Member Posts: 280
    Neera is amazing my gf wants to play now because of her so hell yea I really hope she ends up in BG2EE =)
    Let me be clear. Im not saying the romance is too short...im saying the interraction is way to short...hell even Mazzy in BG2 had alot of dialogue parts as well as other NPC
  • SylonceSylonce Member Posts: 65
    theacefes said:

Sylonce said:

I'm thinking perhaps you're a bit spoiled from playing mod romances or more modern rpgs with full "romances" or maybe you don't remember, but vanilla BG1 NPCs were essentially packmules with very, very little interaction or dialogue.

Personally, yeah I agree, maybe no romances at all in BG1 would have been better. The original didn't have any and it was fine. If anything, having romances at all in the game is a bit of an immersion breaker since unmodded BG1 NPCs are mostly silent.

I never really played mod romances. To be fair, it's not really the "romance" thing that bothers me so much as how abruptly the interaction just ends. Not to mention how short it is. Yeah, vanilla BG1 NPCs hardly talked at all, but the new NPCs are one of the focal features of this game. I was hoping it would at least be a more distinguishing feature compared to the vanilla with a bit more content, considering how most of the other features are but bug fixes anyway. I haven't touched the Black Pits yet, so my opinion of the game may change, but this has been a bit of a disappointing blow.
  • vaslovaslo Member Posts: 4
    i havent been able to play yet... can dwarf or halforc romance in EE?
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    having neera with me, i could still avoid having her romance, right? i played last year first time but with game releases never made it past SOA, and I wanted to finish the Jaheira romance. Even if I can't stop it, you guys don't think BG2EE would remember this, do you. Mass Effect style decision carry over. Please tag me if u answer so I can just get a notification.
    @ChildofBhaal599 What i think will be very possible is

Your romance will carry over in BG2EE but Neera wont be available right off the bat and will still have the usual starter gang. With Neera (or whoever else) be joining your party later like Viconia.

So if you just want to avoid the romance just play the oblivous guy..or whatever she will get pissed off and the romance will end there.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    @Velkir i am trying to be the nice guy, but not go all flirty. i am just hoping that nothing happens. She is a really cool character, but I haven't been able to place 10+ times to be bored with old romances, and I liked what I have seen in the Jahiera romance before I stopped. I will probably youtube new romances, or try them another time.
  • AlesthesAlesthes Member Posts: 46

having neera with me, i could still avoid having her romance, right? i played last year first time but with game releases never made it past SOA, and I wanted to finish the Jaheira romance. Even if I can't stop it, you guys don't think BG2EE would remember this, do you. Mass Effect style decision carry over. Please tag me if u answer so I can just get a notification.

This is a question I have myself, even if the BG:EE romance finishes in early stages, so that it's reasonable to suppose that you can interrupt it to progress on another one... At least that's how I hope it will be.
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Erm, I wonder if i screwed up something in Neera's side quest? Does she say anything after you have concluded it? And yeah, the new NPCs are a lot of fun! =)
  • AraminaAramina Member Posts: 64
    Not exactly sure where I should be posting this, and with search being the way it is...I tried, I really tried :(

Anyway, does anybody know what the values for the romance variables mean? I'm trying to figure out if mine bugged out at some point, or if I finished it/killed it/etc. Looking at them in Shadowkeeper just makes me very confused...apparently there's more than one romance variable, 3 timer variables, and they're all very long numbers. If anybody could shed some light, I would be forever in your debt!

*Possible Spoilers* Or if anybody's actually done the romances already and can answer this, is Dorn supposed to stop talking after the whole "I have no friends" bit? I gave my reply, he didn't say anything, and now I've moved on to the next chapter, finished his personal quest, and he hasn't initiated any other dialogue not related to the quest itself. Have I just not waited long enough/progressed far enough in the story?
  • MythdraconMythdracon Member Posts: 187
    Does Rashaad have a romance associated with him?

I'm guessing none of the new NPCs are bisexual btw, so that means females get two choices while males get one. Correct?