Skip to content

Have we gotten Shadowkeeper working?

crawlkillcrawlkill Member Posts: 71
See subject! I just pilfered Drizzt's toys and feel like editing my alignment and proficiencies to be able to use em. Anyone know if we've gotten it to work yet, and how? I heard it could be done similar to the way we got WeiDU mods working, but I don't see instructions anywhere.

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    It has, although at the moment it's a bit of a process. Let me see if I can find the link to the thread for you.
    Here's the text I posted:

1) Open "...Documents\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\"

2) Copy "baldur.ini", "characters", and "saves"

3) Open "...Program Files\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766[or whatever number it is]\"

4) Paste the three copied files and folders into this directory

5) In this same directory, open "lang\en_us\" (or whatever language you're intending to use)

6) Copy "dialog.tlk"

7) Return to the root "\00766\" directory

8) Paste the copied "dialog.tlk" file into this directory

9) Open Shadowkeeper, and set the installation directory to the "\00766\" folder. (The program will yell at you because it's not BG2, but that's fine).

10) Restart Shadowkeeper.

Remember to copy the files back to your Documents folder when you're done, or the changes won't appear in-game.
    mibblesARKdeEREH
  • crawlkillcrawlkill Member Posts: 71
    It works! Thanks much! (the crazy thing is that I even UNDERSTAND why that works)
    DeeBelgarathMTH
  • rafnowrafnow Member Posts: 8
    edited December 2012
    Strange. Can't figure out why I don't have a "characters" folder anywhere. This fix apparently doesn't work without that.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    rafnow said:

Strange. Can't figure out why I don't have a "characters" folder anywhere. This fix apparently doesn't work without that.

Your characters folder is in your my documents/baldur's gate - enhanced edition (folder)
  • JonelethIrenicusJonelethIrenicus Member Posts: 157
    elminster said:

rafnow said:

Your characters folder is in your my documents/baldur's gate - enhanced edition (folder)
    Nah man I don't have it there either. All I have is portraits, save, temp, tempsave and Baldur.

• SarlyssiaSarlyssia Member Posts: 27

elminster said:

rafnow said:

Nah man I don't have it there either. All I have is portraits, save, temp, tempsave and Baldur.

That's probably because you didn't save a char ingame yet.
    Just create the folder if you haven't exported any characters yet.
  • rafnowrafnow Member Posts: 8
    Sarlyssia said:

elminster said:

rafnow said:

That's probably because you didn't save a char ingame yet.
    You're right. Thanks. Unfortunately I still get a "error (1025): missing CRE signature" when I try to load a saved game in SK.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @rafnow, I didn't have a characters folder in there either. My version of Shadowkeeper didn't care. It just wanted the save folder, the .ini, and the dialog.tlk, and it worked like a charm.
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    addition, if you don't want to copy files:

open up command prompt (cmd) in the game directory (where baldur.exe is), and (note, you can paste things there, just not with ctrl+v):

mklink /j "save" "[location of your documents]\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\save"
    mklink /j "characters" "[location of your documents]\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\characters"

and optionally, add mpsave too, or if you're an even cooler cat (who doesn't play well with people), add The Black Pits save location as:

mklink /j "mpsave" "[location of your documents]\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\bpsave"

now checking the multiplayer games box in when trying to edit saved games will bring up The Black Pits saves.
    sunset00
    Well I exported a char and the folder was created. I copied it to 00766 and used SK but cant find the saved file ingame
  • wissenschaftwissenschaft Member Posts: 229
    You have to copy your edited saved games back into your documents saved game folder

You have to copy your edited saved games back into your documents saved game folder

Thanks I got it now :)

• csuzwcsuzw Member Posts: 48
    edited December 2012
    If anyone has a non-Express version (needs MFC which isn't free) of Visual C++ (ideally 2008 or earlier, see notes below) then following might work:
    Download the ShadowKeeper source code from: http://www.mud-master.com/shadowkeeper/ShadowKeeperSource.zip
    Download the following changed source files from: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/77349605/ShadowKeeperChangesBGEE.zip
    Copy and replace the changed source files over the original.
    Compile and hopefully run (the .uld files that come with current compiled version will need to be in the same directory as the new .exe)!

A few notes:
    My C++ experience is minimal and I can't test the changes so I may have made mistakes. The changes are fairly minor so hopefully it should be fine (and I'd hope that someone with a full copy of VC++ would have the knowledge to fix any of my mistakes anyway).

It only works for English language versions as I hardcoded the Dialog.tlk directory to lang\en_US\. I'm not sure where the language is set and it might require a UI change which again would require full VC++.

The existing guides to getting ShadowKeeper working mention copying baldur.ini to the 00766 directory. I couldn't find any reference in the source code to this file so either this isn't necessary or I've missed something.

Versions of VC++ past 2008 fail to load and convert VC++6 projects so there is going to be more work to get it working in them.

Anyway hope this helps someone.

edit: I found a guide for compiling MFC applications in Express editions and I've been making some progress. It appears the VC++6 to 2008 conversion process isn't great and I've had to make quite a lot of extra tweaks (including commenting out the BG2 reg key check because it's not needed for BG:EE and I can't be bothered working out how to fix it). Ground to a halt again at a missing nafxcw.lib file but more hopeful of getting something working now.

edit2: Don't think I'm going to go any further on this. Got it compiled in VS2008 Express after much hassle however it refuses to pick up the .uld files (it loads them fine as far as I can see, but it fails to deserialise them and doesn't seem to error doing it). Managed to obtain a copy of VC++ 6 too and again it failed at the same stage. I can't get debugging working in any environment and I'm at a dead end with sticking message boxes at various points to get more information out. On the positive side my changes didn't seem to cause any problems so assuming someones can work out the other problems it should be good for BG:EE. In case anyone else picks this up there are 2 errors I was getting common to both versions of VS: libc.lib needs to ignored by the linker and it couldn't find nafxcw.lib which is trickier to solve - I found a version of the file online and it got past the error but I wonder if it might be the cause of the .uld problem.
    Post edited by csuzw on
    DinsdalePiranha