Skip to content

[(BGEE, BG2) bug] Range of skull trap

CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
edited August 2012 in Fixed
Skull Trap has range of 20 yards (effectively visual range, 30') per its descript but was using 55' (at level 5) or 15' (other levels):
// skull trap has incorrect range
COPY_EXISTING ~spwi313.spl~ ~override~
READ_LONG 0x64 "abil_off"
READ_SHORT 0x68 "abil_num"
WHILE ("%abil_num%" > 0) BEGIN
SET "abil_num" = ("%abil_num%" - 1)
WRITE_SHORT ("%abil_off%" + 0x0e + (0x28 * "%abil_num%")) 30 // range
END
BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES
Post edited by Bhryaen on

Comments

• KeithSKeithS Member Posts: 623
    Adding...
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    Verified, this change has been integrated internally and should be present in the next build.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Confirmed fixed - all spell headers got the range field set to 30
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    Confirmed Fixed:

SPWI313
    Range = 30 for all Spell abilities (levels)

NOTES:
    Spell Description does say 20 yards... which would be 60 feet.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Bhryaen
    Since your visual range is 30 feet and you can't cast spells on stuff you can't see, the actual casting range of all spells with a range over 30 feet is set to 30.

Though one can argue that if you're doing something like what I did in this discussion:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/1778/bgee-bg2-bug-high-level-divine-spell-fixes#latest

You should be allowed to cast from a farther distance.

Regardless, I think that setting all spells to 30 feet was the standard in the vanilla games.
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    @Tanthalas
    That was exactly what I was considering when I bothered to mention that part- plus just how odd it seems that the spell would be worded to be 60' if you're never able to cast that far anyway. It may just be a PnPism that slipped into BG during implementation, copying direct from WotC regardless of application. I have the feeling that's the problem with a lot of the spell issues that have been corrected- that the original devs went ahead and put in the spell descriptions like WotC wanted but then crafted a more arbitrary system whenever it felt right to them.

On this one though I do think it's fixed, so...
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    It would be fun, if some spells were allowed to be cast via the wizard eye. Probably the skull trap would be too much, though.
    CrevsDaak