Skip to content

[BUG] GUI Elements Not Scaling Correctly

agrisagris Member Posts: 581
edited December 2012 in Not An Issue
Current Behavior: The GUI art for full screen 1920x1200 takes up a larger proportion of the screen area than the interface rendered in full screen 1280x1024, and is not scaled correctly. Using portrait area (L x H) as a metric for determining interface element size, portraits in the 1920x1200 screen are 150% larger by area than the 1280x1024 portraits, despite 1920x1200 having only 76% more area than 1280x1024.

It is possible the wrong chat log, portrait bar and option bar interface elements are being used, as the 1920x1200 interface lacks crispness and appears to be made of lower DPI art assets than the 1280x1024 interface. This imbalanced proportion of gameplay screen to interface elements can be seen clearly when comparing two images. The first image is full screen 1280x1024 (desktop res), while the second is full screen 1920x1200 (desktop res).

Note the proportion of the entire screen occupied by all interface elements at 1280x1024:

Compared the above image to how much of the screen is occupied by the interface at 1920x1200:

Expected Behavior: The GUI art scales with resolution, so that the proportion of the screen covered by the chat log, portrait bar and options bar is not greater at higher resolutions. Currently, improper scaling negates any benefit of playing at a higher resolution and is actually detrimental due to the lack of interface art fidelity and decreased viewable gameplay area.

Details:
1920 x 1200 is 76% more screen area than 1280x1024, as such one would expect all interface elements to increase in size by 76%, such that the total screen area occupied by the interface remains the same. I believe the root of the problem is the differing aspect ratios (4:3 vs. 16:10) and that the interface is being sized based on the difference in screen WIDTH (1.5x) rather than area.
Post edited by agris on

Comments

• begolf00begolf00 Member Posts: 152
    @agris

Couldn't help my self but your portraits are awesome. Especially the one of Kurt Russell.
  • CJoshuaVCJoshuaV Member Posts: 3
    Came here to comment on the same concern.
  • davemodavemo Member Posts: 147
    Your aspect ratio is different. The higher res screen is rendered wider than the lower res screen, but shorter.

If you want a taller playing area, you need a taller, more narrow monitor. It would be even worse with 1080p, so at least you dodged that bullet.

Personally, I would prefer smaller UI elements and a larger game area on a PC (with keyboard shortcuts), but since I will be playing on an iPad, I need a good touch interface which means decent sized buttons.
  • ArchaicArchaic Member Posts: 924
    Awesome!
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I've got the wrong aspect ratio as well and it sucks, like 33% of the screen is taken by that bottom bar. Please address this @trentoster
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    @davemo

Re-read my original post. It isn't that the vertical area is diminished (even though it is relative to the top image), it's that the UI elements are scaled incorrectly such that the interface takes up MORE of the screen at higher resolutions than lower and when you play in, say 1920x1200, it's obvious that the art used in the interface is lacking definition when compared to lower resolutions like 1280x1024. Aspect ratio doesn't account for any of that.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    @agris I'm agreeing with you that there's a problem with the screen that the UI is taking up too much real estate
  • psyactpsyact Member Posts: 81
    I've had the same problem (at the same resolution too). I don't believe it's intentional, simply because the scaled UI looks "blurry" as you stated. I doubt the developers wanted a blurry UI at any resolution.

It's incredibly distracting to the point where I'm not really interested in playing the game. I just wish we could get some word on whether it's a bug or a "feature".
  • seasea Member Posts: 65
    I don't think this is a bug, I think it's just a poor decision to scale the GUI in order to keep text readable, without actually using new fonts at different resolutions (which is the ideal solution).
  • tommytommy Member Posts: 401
    edited December 2012
    sea said:

I don't think this is a bug, I think it's just a poor decision to scale the GUI in order to keep text readable, without actually using new fonts at different resolutions (which is the ideal solution).

but its important that the downpart of the interface getting fixed. Its a not very nice that the downpart of the interface cover with some reslutions more of the display than with other resolutions

• NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    There is an option available in the .ini to turn off scaling on the UI, but it doesn't look as pretty as it should (as we designed the UI re-work with scaling in mind). Trent will likely communicate this to you all soon, so you can play with it if you like -- but it's something that we haven't even really tested at all, so there are *bound* to be some messed up screens.

There hasn't been a lot of hate for the scaled GUI to be honest, but this is always something we can revisit if it turns out it's something people want.
  • NaterylNateryl Member Posts: 2
    Add 'Graphics', 'Scale UI', '0' to your ini file as tweeted by Trent. At 1920x1080 it looks very nice! I can even zoom out further then before! But lots of menus such as the inventory screen now look odd although they are still usable. I think I prefer the scaling on at my resolution for now but I want the ability to zoom out just as far.
    edited December 2012
    @Nathan @TrentOster

I believe the issue isn't that the UI is scaled, but the manner. If the portrait bar / option bar / combat log were scaled such that the same proportion of the 'game window' were available as in lower resolutions, then it would be much less bothersome. The 1920x1200 UI occupies about 50% more proportional screen space than the 1280x1024 interface.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about the in-game viewable area, with world art and characters. Not menus.

EDIT: thanks @Nateryl / @TrentOster
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    @agris Yep, I see what you're talking about. I believe the original opinion was that since one can adjust the size of the textbar menu, one could adjust it as they please - and the portrait bar/options bar was acceptable for most users depending on the screen size.

In your particular case, I get the impression that what you're looking for is basically the unscaled UI as I was talking about (that Trent has now shared). I *think* the right way to approach this, maybe, might be an option in the graphics menu, with like a kind of hybrid scaling if we can, so that the game window and bars aren't scaled, but then things like the inventory menu/journal/etc and the like are?

As I've said a few times in other threads, we're not afraid to talk about this stuff with the community and we're committed to doing on-going work here. =)
    edited December 2012
    @Nathan Hybrid mode sounds like a good idea, it's nice to have the large inventory, journal, etc. It's just when the interface gets in the way of seeing the game that it becomes a problem.

EDIT: the lack of scaling looks really good in the main gameplay window, but yea the inventory etc could still use the scaling.

• KazugaKazuga Member Posts: 38
    any updates here? the problem is still here :/
    I think the best we can hope for is 'hybrid' scaling mode, and perhaps the PC getting higher resolution interface elements so while the incorrect scaling exists, at least the interface isn't blurry.
  • NotmareNotmare Member Posts: 3
    I couldn't agree more, I was extremely excited about the updated game only to feel like I was using some kind of widescreen hack. The UI on 1920x1080 is is quite blurry, native support for higher resolutions is something that I expected as part of the enhancements. I'll try turning the scaling off tonight and if that just results in a very small inventory then that's fine, and if it makes the text easier on the eyes then there will be no turning back for me. I'll probably play the game regardless of any real fix but it is hard on the eyes after some time.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited December 2012
    Some stuff was probably upscaled to make the UI feel like 800x600 (icons/portraits coming all the way down).

Big picture mode is for people who want the small side bars. I don't really want it changed by default.
    Hey @JuliusBorisov do you know if this scaling problem has been fixed in the 2.5 edition releases?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    @agris Hello! Currently your request is not implemented.

There's a Redmine ticket for it - https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/32726 - feel free to add your arguments there.