Skip to content

Half Orc's too powerful?

I created a Half Orc Barbarian,
and....he has a 19 strength and 19 con.

17 hp at level one...

19 Strength! plus specialization...23 strength with rage!

Will his somewhat lackluster AC keep him in check?

Comments

• UnknownQuantityUnknownQuantity Member Posts: 242
    I think they are powerful, but that is to compensate for the limited amount of people who want to play a half orc. It's like my tendency to want to play a paladin/ranger or human/elf/half elf. If the dwarf/halfing/gnome/half orc didn't have something really good about them then not many would even try to play as them IMO. I do think it's reasonable that half orcs have 19 stength and constitution. I'm not sure about dexterity being 18 though. I'm also not a fan of blunt weapons. I know BG has really good ones, but I almost always choose swords instead. It's why I would play a Paladin or Ranger over a fighter/cleric even though the fighter cleric will be stronger.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Well, there could be a mod that completely changes the dialogue of each NPC with a Half-Orc NPC, similarly to Half-Orcs and Half-Ogres in Arcanum - some of the more powerful races, but everyone is completely disgusted by them XD
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    A half-orc isnt "too powerful". He is powerful, which is good. Diversity in character creation =)
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    I don't think they're that powerful, they don't get the "shorty" Con-based saving throw bonuses, nor the bow/sword THAC0 bonuses and charm resistance of elves for starters.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    At first couple of levels, ½ Orc is the most effective in melee. I think that this balances out a few levels along the way. They definitely get a good start with 19 CON/19 STR, so much so that they chunk just about everything early on (+7 DMG is huge). However, this advantage doesn't scale much; not that it's not always good, but +1 HP/LVL essentially lets them take one extra hit.

This is all well and good, but not necessarily an end-all be-all. Dwarves get some rather excellent specific bonuses that help them in the warrior category. For that matter, elves get some goodies (sleep resistance).

I do like the ½ Orc a lot. I don't think that they are the 'only' good choice, however.
  • sazalandsazaland Member Posts: 25
    edited December 2012

A half-orc isnt "too powerful". He is powerful, which is good. Diversity in character creation =)

Except that other races have tangible disadvantages to complement their advantages. Half-Orcs don't even have less class diversity than Dwarves or Halflings: they can pick Cleric/Thief in addition to everything a Dwarf can pick.

Str +1 is heinously powerful particularly for non-Fighter classes, and it's not much worse for Fighter classes since few have the patience to roll for 18/00 Str, which is the only value that gives the same THAC0 as 19 Str. They copy the +1 Con Dwarves get without the Dex penalty(limiting their AC until the tome) or the Cha penalty(seriously why? Dwarves more repulsive than Half-Orcs?).

The shorty save bonuses are good, but they don't add up to -1 Str -1 Dex -2 Cha versus Half-Orcs. The Thief skill bonuses that Half-Orcs miss out on are only relevant if you're actually a Thief, and they're only particularly large for Halfings specifically, who lose yet another point of Strength versus Half-Orcs, limiting them to a +1 THAC0 bonus from strength even if they're a Fighter, and having the massive power/accuracy of 19 Str as a backstabbing Thief is better than the thieving bonuses in the long run, even though the Str bonus damage is merely added rather than multiplied: it's good enough and the THAC0 bonus to ensure the backstab actually hits is the real winner. It's also worth noting that while 19 Con is only +1 HP/level and only for Fighters, with the tome it's 20 Con which gives you lesser regeneration, you will pretty much fully heal when resting for 8 hours or traveling between areas.

It's not diversity if the choice is made for you.
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    This why in the core 2ed P&P rules no races got +1 to strength. It's massively advantageous - pretty much worth 2-3 levels by itself.
  • SkagiSkagi Member Posts: 5

If the dwarf/halfing/gnome/half orc didn't have something really good about them then not many would even try to play as them IMO.

HEYYY!!!! I love playing dwarves... the reason I play human is because dwarves can't be paladins, and my last character back in april was Dwarf Berserker so wanted a little change :D
    Skagi said:

If the dwarf/halfing/gnome/half orc didn't have something really good about them then not many would even try to play as them IMO.

HEYYY!!!! I love playing dwarves... the reason I play human is because dwarves can't be paladins, and my last character back in april was Dwarf Berserker so wanted a little change :D
    Notice I said most lol. I know there are always exceptions to the rule.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited December 2012
    Bill said:

17 hp at level one...

Did you min/max by point buying down other stats to max those stats?

Sure, in game you can make a super overpowered character due to point buying. I personally think the BG character creation process is flawed because it's encourages people min/maxing, which I hate.

If you just accepted the roll you get, or maybe re-roll a couple times and don't point buy, characters are not overpowered. I also changed the difficult to core rules and accept the default HP rolls (I actually don't even look at it). The game is much more challenging and more fun.

Point of the rant is, change the way you play, and characters won't be overpowered.

Bill said:

17 hp at level one...

Did you min/max by point buying down other stats to max those stats?

Sure, in game you can make a super overpowered character due to point buying. I personally think the BG character creation process is flawed because it's encourages people min/maxing, which I hate.

If you just accepted the roll you get, or maybe re-roll a couple times and don't point buy, characters are not overpowered. I also changed the difficult to core rules and accept the default HP rolls (I actually don't even look at it). The game is much more challenging and more fun.

Point of the rant is, change the way you play, and characters won't be overpowered.

I kind of felt the same way until i played games like Neverwinter Nights with 3rd edition rules. Character creation felt so bland since stats were limited in their effect on the characters you created. It made character development so boring as to not keep my interest. There is no doubt the BG D&D combination of rules is unbalanced, but on the flip side it makes developing your character a lot more fun as you are looking for different ways to make them powerful. There isn't just one powerful race/class in the game. There are a lot to choose from. If there were just one or two it might not be that fun. I also am of the opinion that some classes should be stronger then others. I always felt that mages should be the most powerful characters in these type of games. If you read any of the old forgotten realms/dragonlance books high level mages were akin to gods. They started very weak, but eventually became very powerful. There weren't that many of them around though. Paladins/Rangers/Clerics/Druids are also fairly rare in general. On the other hand fighters were pretty commonplace and so were thieves/bards. You choose what you want to play as.
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    sazaland said:

Half-Orcs are definitely overpowered in BG1, their disadvantage affects nothing they can be, and they combine the best advantage possible, +Str with the Dwarf bonus of +Con. It was ok for BG2 since they couldn't be imported from BG1, and thus couldn't benefit from all the stat tomes a BG1 veteran character could get.

objection! no dual classing, no "cool" multiclass combos, and the difference between 18/00 (easily achievable with strength spell) and 19 str are next to nothing (+1 dmg), same with 19 and 20 str (aka after the tome). also, using the con tome gives anyone but elves 19 CON, and they only gain ridiculously slow regen at 20.

viable? yes. strong? oh yeah. OP? let the humans have that.

• toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    edited December 2012
    The Baldur's Gate mechanics are far from balanced, but I think they are appropriate for a fantasy setting. In this Fantasy setting, being Half-Orc just makes you that strong. As for 'over-powered' does it really matter? In a single player setting, there are many ways to make the difficulty of the game harder to balance out being a Half-Orc (if you think they are over-powered), or you could just ignore the race. It's not a competitive game, so it's not like choosing a Half-Orc hurts anyone.
    EDITED: for typos.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Half orcs are definitely very powerful in bg1, but only if you max out thier strength and con. However in PnP rules it was *incredibly* unlikely that you would ever actaully roll values this high. Again, it all coms down to how powergamery you want to be on character creation.
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    sazaland said:

Except that other races have tangible disadvantages to complement their advantages. Half-Orcs don't even have less class diversity than Dwarves or Halflings: they can pick Cleric/Thief in addition to everything a Dwarf can pick.

Str +1 is heinously powerful particularly for non-Fighter classes, and it's not much worse for Fighter classes since few have the patience to roll for 18/00 Str, which is the only value that gives the same THAC0 as 19 Str. They copy the +1 Con Dwarves get without the Dex penalty(limiting their AC until the tome) or the Cha penalty(seriously why? Dwarves more repulsive than Half-Orcs?).

The shorty save bonuses are good, but they don't add up to -1 Str -1 Dex -2 Cha versus Half-Orcs. The Thief skill bonuses that Half-Orcs miss out on are only relevant if you're actually a Thief, and they're only particularly large for Halfings specifically, who lose yet another point of Strength versus Half-Orcs, limiting them to a +1 THAC0 bonus from strength even if they're a Fighter, and having the massive power/accuracy of 19 Str as a backstabbing Thief is better than the thieving bonuses in the long run, even though the Str bonus damage is merely added rather than multiplied: it's good enough and the THAC0 bonus to ensure the backstab actually hits is the real winner. It's also worth noting that while 19 Con is only +1 HP/level and only for Fighters, with the tome it's 20 Con which gives you lesser regeneration, you will pretty much fully heal when resting for 8 hours or traveling between areas.

It's not diversity if the choice is made for you.
    @sazaland I disagree. Sometimes the choice is made for you, but half-orcs don't win across the board, not by a long shot.

I consider the saving throw bonuses massive. True they matter less for a barabarian/berserker who can get a suite of immunities, but most classes can't. If your objective in a frontliner is to soak up the aggro then a dwarf is a better choice. A dwarf will succumb to less status effects and take half damage from spells more often. Early game there's no question that the half-orc will hit hardest by a long way when unbuffed. But late game after the strength tome, +5 to saves far outweighs 1 damage point.

I also consider halfling thieving bonuses massive. Ignoring pickpockets, a 19 dex halfling has 60 more thieving points than a 18 dex half-orc. That's over two levels worth for a vanilla or swashbuckler, three levels worth for a bounty hunter and four levels worth for an assassin. Essentially this allows you to be effective in one more skill than you would be able to be otherwise. Later in the game, thac0 is less of an issue with the Gauntlets of Ogre Power (although the half orc will half the Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise).
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    Their advantages balance out once you start collecting the stat raising tomes. There isn't much difference between 19 and 20 strength, and 18/19/20 dexterity for a melee guy. There is a tangible difference between 18/19/20 constitution but dwarves can also get there so it's not purely half-orcs.

After you pick up all the tomes, I'd much rather have a dwarf. The saving throw bonuses are too great to ignore.
  • BillBill Member Posts: 18
    Well, if the save bonuses of a dwarf are that good, then I will feel less guilty about my half orc.

I would never play a dwarf or half orc. I don't care how good their saving throws or strength/constitution are. I don't mind having them in my party as NPCs, but I don't want the main character of the story to be one. :) This is just my opinion of course.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I still think ½ Orc advantages drop with time, but that they are awesome for the first few levels. Anyway, if somebody is concerned that they're too good, that person can intentionally limit themselves.

Half orcs weren't really constructed for BG1 (like kits). Archer kit is almost unstoppable in BG for me so far (drops mages like flies). We'll see as it goes on.
  • Jaxx86Jaxx86 Member Posts: 26
    edited December 2012
    This game isn't about balance. A half-orc has 19 str and con because they are durable and strong as a race. I don't think the original developers sat down and thought about balancing all the classes and races due to pvp. Baldur's Gate is known and loved because its a great game that respects the Forgotten Realms. They're not going to be like "oh the halfling needs to have x,y, and z because he's short."
  • sazalandsazaland Member Posts: 25

sazaland said:

Half-Orcs are definitely overpowered in BG1, their disadvantage affects nothing they can be, and they combine the best advantage possible, +Str with the Dwarf bonus of +Con. It was ok for BG2 since they couldn't be imported from BG1, and thus couldn't benefit from all the stat tomes a BG1 veteran character could get.

objection! no dual classing, no "cool" multiclass combos, and the difference between 18/00 (easily achievable with strength spell) and 19 str are next to nothing (+1 dmg), same with 19 and 20 str (aka after the tome). also, using the con tome gives anyone but elves 19 CON, and they only gain ridiculously slow regen at 20.

Dual-classing is to some degree balanced by how unwieldly it is. The pain involved in getting there is enough to make me generally never want to do it. I do it with Imoen if I decide I need a Mage more than a Thief basically. The only real dual-class I really used is Shar-Teel the Fighter/Thief, because she's a savage backstabber with 3 slots in longsword.

Precisely what is uncool about Cleric/Thief? That will always be my favorite multiclass, followed by Fighter/Cleric and Fighter/Thief.. hey the ones Half-Orcs can do! The inherent conflict between arcane casting and armor blunts the attractiveness of those multiclasses to me, Fighter/Mage/Thief is the only one of them I really like because of it's versatility.

The difference between 18/00 and 19 is small, but 18/00 is very hard to get generally, I don't rest often so anything that requires a spell is much less valuable overall. Gauntlets of Ogre Might are great but for every naturally strong character I have I can pass them over and reserve the gauntlets for someone who truly needs them, like Montaron, Viconia, or Xan. Not to mention naturally being that strong lets you use Bracers of Weapon Mastery, or similar items.

It's true that the tome makes this mostly moot, but that tome comes later in the game than you might remember. I tend to treat the Candlekeep events as the endgame point-of-no-return: when all the sidequests are done and it's time to blitz Sarevok's plan once and for all. The Con tome on the other hand is one of the first quests I do, is pretty easy and good XP for a new party, and as someone who rests very infrequently, maybe only 10-15 times across the entire playthrough, the regeneration's effect when I do rest and more importantlywhen traveling between areas is priceless.

It's also worth noting that least in the way BG1 vanilla handled it, the shorty saves were pretty minor if you weren't at least part Cleric or Fighter, it was based on the beefiest class you had. +4 for Fighters, +3 for Clerics, +2 for Rogues +1 for Mages, take the highest for multi-classes. Good for Fighter/X and Cleric/Thief or Cleric/Illusionist, not so much for Illusionist/Thieves or many single class characters.
  • AlexDeLargeAlexDeLarge Member Posts: 273
    Sure they are super powerful in BG1 (especially the first half), but you gotta look at the big picture. In the long run, aka entire Trilogy, a well built dual classed human will outshine any half orc by far.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    A Half-Orc Barbarian is a very strong character w/ max str, dex and con. On top of that, they move faster, immune to backstab and can rage daily for other useful immunities like the berserker. It's definitely one of the best melee class, comparable to the strong fighter kits of berserker and the inquisitor.

In bg2, the best ac armor was either the shadow dragon armor or the grandmaster leather armor in tob. It provides an ac of 1. Combine with innate dex bonus, 2 rings of gaax, the cloak of sewer, helm of balduran and a nice shield, the half-orc can get AC up to -14. Also, mirror image and stoneskin is available from a weapon and the boot of gargoyle.
  • ShrimpShrimp Member Posts: 142
    bbear said:

In bg2, the best ac armor was either the shadow dragon armor or the grandmaster leather armor in tob.

I think I remember using the white dragon armor (AC -2) on a Barbarian as well, but I may be mistaken. But we can all agree that being limited in what armor you can use really doesn't matter anymore late-game. And Half-Orcs probably make the best barbs (just to stay on topic).
  • AlexDeLargeAlexDeLarge Member Posts: 273
    A barb is only great if you don't use the true grandmastery mod, otherwise any fighter will completely outclass him.
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    edited December 2012
    sazaland said:

sazaland said:

Dual-classing is to some degree balanced by how unwieldly it is. The pain involved in getting there is enough to make me generally never want to do it. I do it with Imoen if I decide I need a Mage more than a Thief basically. The only real dual-class I really used is Shar-Teel the Fighter/Thief, because she's a savage backstabber with 3 slots in longsword.

Precisely what is uncool about Cleric/Thief? That will always be my favorite multiclass, followed by Fighter/Cleric and Fighter/Thief.. hey the ones Half-Orcs can do! The inherent conflict between arcane casting and armor blunts the attractiveness of those multiclasses to me, Fighter/Mage/Thief is the only one of them I really like because of it's versatility.

The difference between 18/00 and 19 is small, but 18/00 is very hard to get generally, I don't rest often so anything that requires a spell is much less valuable overall. Gauntlets of Ogre Might are great but for every naturally strong character I have I can pass them over and reserve the gauntlets for someone who truly needs them, like Montaron, Viconia, or Xan. Not to mention naturally being that strong lets you use Bracers of Weapon Mastery, or similar items.

It's true that the tome makes this mostly moot, but that tome comes later in the game than you might remember. I tend to treat the Candlekeep events as the endgame point-of-no-return: when all the sidequests are done and it's time to blitz Sarevok's plan once and for all. The Con tome on the other hand is one of the first quests I do, is pretty easy and good XP for a new party, and as someone who rests very infrequently, maybe only 10-15 times across the entire playthrough, the regeneration's effect when I do rest and more importantlywhen traveling between areas is priceless.

...snip...
    warning: may contain horrible spelling and missing words, I'm sleep deprived as hell

not really arguing, cos, you know, each after his own playstyle, but personally I dislike cleric/thieves. they lack proper backstabbing (staffs? erm...), and they seem a little too mismash for my personal tastes. fighter/cleric is nice, but ranger/cleric is nicer (ironskins! eventually), or dual fighter 3-> cleric, who can easily get to the point in BG1 that they're outdamaging F/C multis (actually just a bit behind fighters), and have way better spell prigression. F/T however... okay, I heart Monty, but FMTs beat the hell out of them coolness wise. (though BGEE's xp cap is not kind on them)

18/00 is next to impossible to get, but 18/50+ is not... and the strength spell last *hours* iirc.

regen from CON is nice, but DUHM can give you the same effect, though that's somewhat exploity.

• hzfhzf Member Posts: 70
    Why would anyone use a barb instead of a beserker? Mastery really helps in BG1 where your thaco is bad, and grandmastery is a big boost in bg2.