Skip to content

Big Screen Beta

The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
Just read this on Twitter:
Trent Oster ‏@TrentOster
For PC users, we have a beta big screen mode: put this into your baldur.ini file: 'Graphics', 'Scale UI', '0',
I did so, it didn't change anything for me. My laptop has a resolution of 1366x768, maybe that's the problem as that could be the lowest UI scaling level. Anybody else tried it out?

Comments

• CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    That's supposed to be a lowercase o, not a zero. Wow, what a difference!
  • ElofElof Member Posts: 42
    Big difference!
  • JonelethIrenicusJonelethIrenicus Member Posts: 157
    Holy shit that was a awesome change, Thank you!!! @TrentOster
  • dracuifydracuify Member Posts: 33
    Oh my god, that's gorgeous.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Post a screenshot or two?
  • CooperCooper Member Posts: 18
    I love you, Trent Oster <3
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    Someone post a screenie plz? :p

What does it change exactly?
  • GwynnbleidGwynnbleid Member Posts: 17
    Screenshot time ? Please ?
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Two questions - where can I find baldur.ini? I don't seem to have this. Also, what does this mode do, is there any point in using this at 1440x900 resolution on a 13" screen (it's a Macbook Air running Windows 7 under Bootcamp)
    @Oxford_Guy, in your documents, there is a BG:EE folder, it's in there.
  • JonelethIrenicusJonelethIrenicus Member Posts: 157
    ajwz said:

Post a screenshot or two?

Mornmagor said:

Someone post a screenie plz? :p

What does it change exactly?

Screenshot time ? Please ?

[IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/8ydgxw.jpg[/IMG]
    As far as I can tell, it is the widescreen mod with the new UI - the bigger the screen the smaller the UI, and the more playable area you see.
    It doesn't look better for me, i never liked shrinking everything.

There i said it :p
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    edited December 2012
    Here's another screenshot all the way zoomed out.

Yeah seems all the characters and some icons are super small, but the text is still easy to read. Now zooming might have a purpose, too!
  • stardog765stardog765 Member Posts: 48
    Well holy crap! So this was something that was obviously always there?
    Why didnt we know this before today?

I almost uninstalled this game.

Thank you for letting us know about this. Now it actually looks like a PC game!
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    hmmm. i prefer regular upscaled version, i just wish it was a bit crispier.

this fix makes portraits and selection screens too small, kind of the same like the regular bg2 with obscenely high resolution.
    Mornmagor said:

So it is. It doesn't change anything for me, though, wutg either '0' or 'o', is that because my screen is too small?

• BlaveBlave Member Posts: 39
    Actually, that seems to use the UI in the scale it's meant to be used. Even the spell icons in the spell book look MUCH better!
    It max zooms out more now?
  • FalkonSwiftbladeFalkonSwiftblade Member Posts: 51
    DukeGr said:

This actually means that the actual UI is upscaled during normal launch and that's why it looks so blurry on high resolutions.

'Graphics', 'Scale UI', '0', just removes the scaling and renders the game in a similar way bgtutu did on higher resolutions aka makes everything look very small but sharp.

Now my question regarding this is quite simple as till now i wasnt sure of how things get loaded.
    Why didnt they make the UI elements super high resolution or even vector based for simple things such as icons etc. This way the Interface would look ultra sharp pixel perfect on any screen resolution.
    Why not downscale a high resolution UI but instead upscale a lower resolution UI.

Keep the ingame scaling as it is now, it's ok cant do any better without the lost art assets, BUT please make a high resolution UI with proper icons that dont look crap on HD resolutions. Thank you.

I'm interested in doing this myself. I know how to create the graphics and fonts in a multitude of non destructible ways, but I don't know how to code them in or swap them out.

Mornmagor said:

So it is. It doesn't change anything for me, though, wutg either '0' or 'o', is that because my screen is too small?

Use lowercase 'o', not zero '0'

Mornmagor said:

Check your baldur.ini after running the game - if there is an error in the setting, it blanks it out (or at least that's what happened when I tried to use zero). You may not see a huge difference on the small screen.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    dracuify said:

Mornmagor said:

Strange, Im using a zero and it works for me.
    dracuify said:

Mornmagor said:

Actually, it does work, (with zero '0', not 'o')! Am not sure if I like it or not on my size screen (which is pretty small) but will try it out for a bit
    Flashburn said:

dracuify said:

Mornmagor said:

Uh..strange? I used zero and it didn't work, changed to lowercase o and it worked :P

• JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    It doesn't work for me ... and my baldur.ini is looking really funky, does everyone else's go horizontally rather than vertically like the old baldur.ini files used to?
    edited December 2012

dracuify said:

Mornmagor said:

Actually, it does work, (with zero '0', not 'o')! Am not sure if I like it or not on my size screen (which is pretty small) but will try it out for a bit

Well good to hear it works :)

dracuify said:

Flashburn said:

dracuify said:

Mornmagor said:

Uh..strange? I used zero and it didn't work, changed to lowercase o and it worked :P

Ditto...very weird. @TrentOster changed his tweet from an o (which clued me in to why it wasn't working) to a zero as well. *shrug*