Skip to content

Dissatisfied with new BG:EE portraits.

I feel that the new BG:EE portraits look a bit to Icewind Dale for Baldur's Gate. Don't get we wrong, they are fine portraits however the art style of the new portraits just reminds me of Icewind Dale. I also think a few of them are actually from the series although, I could be mistaken. I have always thought of the portraits of the first Baldur's Gate to be the best out of all the infinity engine games. Very rarely do I see that art style replicated well.
VegardPompeyAshendil

Comments

• AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    The portraits are great, but, yep, they don't blend perfectly with the old BG1 portraits.
    But I hate the BG1 portraits with passion, and these will blend "not too bad" with BG2, soooo... :)
    MedullaOblongata
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited December 2012
    Jason Manley, who drew the Icewind Dale portraits, I believe is the one who created the portraits for BG:EE.

They are wonderful portraits but I agree that they do not fit the theme of BG.

SOURCE
  • MichailMichail Member Posts: 196
    Yes, they don't match, and it's a bit dissapointing (just a bit...). The same goes with most custom portraits available at this moment, but at least there is a great selection out there. That's probably the reason they didn't include more of them. I don't see new matching portraits included in a future patch, although it would be nice.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    I agree the style is rather different.
    On the other hand..

Portraits looking even vaguely like the IWD ones = the best possible result.
    CalmarchickenhedAegir_Fellwood
  • MansenMansen Member Posts: 82
    I humbly disagree - I find the BG1 portraits to be absolutely horrendous compared to the later ones in the series, BeeGee included. They are onf of the first things I have always replaced in Tutu (and BeeGee once SK works properly)
    chickenhed
  • ST4TICStrikerST4TICStriker Member Posts: 162
    edited December 2012
    Mansen said:

I humbly disagree - I find the BG1 portraits to be absolutely horrendous compared to the later ones in the series, BeeGee included. They are onf of the first things I have always replaced in Tutu (and BeeGee once SK works properly)

I have to feel the same.

Icewind dale's portraits look beautiful almost like art.

The only thing I'm upset with is they didn't take the chance to redo the NPC portraits in this style, but that would be asking a bit much I suppose.

"IceWind Dale Dwarf with axe"
    http://ettugamer.com/zenphoto/cache/I/Icewind Dale 1/Portraits/3179344541_1200.jpg

"Baldur's gate cheeky Dwarf"
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3106/3174027849_e2d7763537.jpg

My favorite Dwarfs from both games
    They both look great but I think the IceWind dale one is just massive.
  • FateAscendsFateAscends Member Posts: 63
    Well if you think about the process that went into creating the BG1 portraits, you begin to see why some people prefer them. They had actual people model for the faces(I remember seeing Garrick's face model picture around this forum somewhere), where as the new portraits, and the IWD portraits look to be hand drawn. Don't get me wrong, I think they are good pictures, and I certainly don't have the talent to create something like that but I much prefer the BG1 portraits over every other infinity engine game's.
    Ashendil
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    Agreed. I also like the new ones (especially the one with the gold armor, which I'm using), but they definitely feel more IWD than BG to me.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Yea I'm not a fan of them.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I really like them, particularly the female ones.

Then again, I seem to encounter a little aesthetic dissonance with the people of these forums if the submit your custom portrait threads are anything to go by
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    The new portraits are fantastic, and much like ajwz, I am particularly partial to the female ones. The redhead is my Evil Sorceress at the moment, loving it.

For someone who has used plenty of custom portraits, the slight dissonance of them not being the same style means nothing to me. Trying to get a full set of custom portraits which all belong to the same style is nearly impossible, unless the same artist manages to fulfil your every need (they hardly do)
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Something that I discovered last week was that if you have a portrait of your own that you want to use, you can have it replace one of Jason Manley's (or any other) portraits by giving the files the same names as the ones built into the game. That will make it so you don't have to open the CUSTOM portraits screen; just scroll to the one you like, and there it is.
    ajwz
  • Aegir_FellwoodAegir_Fellwood Member Posts: 81
    Is there somewhere we, that don't have the game yet (waiting for ipad version), can see those new portraits?
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    Funny, I think they fit in just fine. Once it's just the thumbnail over on the side, they look great.

@ajwz: Exactly. It cracks me up a lot of people who complain about "aesthetic dissonance" are people who use their own custom pictures anyway, and with things that clash even greater with BG than anything Manley did.