Skip to content

Is it possible to get another game, not whit baldurs gate name and location, but still in forgoten R

FillaFillasonFillaFillason Member Posts: 110
Is it possible that the developers would make another game in forgotten realms, whit 2d/3d edition? Dragon lance would make an great game, and for. eks make an game around Tanis, Kitara,Caramon,Raistlin etc... Lots of interesting char. wtch could be joineble, great plots allready written, witch whit not very mutch rewriting would fit as an hand in a glow, M.Wees&T.Hickman dragon age chronicles would be an great pc game, im sure!

If it is problem whit getting the names, copyrights etc whit baldurs gate and icewind dale, why not make a completely new game in forgotten realms/ dragonlance?

Or even better, my pc dream, an game simular to baldurs gate in wheel of time univers. :-)

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    If the BGEE games are successful I'm sure Overhaul would be interested in making new Forgotten Realms games, but its unlikely that Wizards of the Coast would allow them to use 2E or 3E rules.
  • FillaFillasonFillaFillason Member Posts: 110
    I see. So the woc has the copyright to 2e and 3e? I should think that an firm as wizards of the coast woulnt mind someone making an game in fr, if done properly. But even as they started in the basement, they are big now and i ques it is money money money as whit everything else.

Well, I cross fingers for an huge succses, i never undstood why there wasnt made more game whit d&d as pool of radiant etc
  • AranneasAranneas Member Posts: 282
    edited July 2012
    If the BGEE games are successful I'm sure Overhaul would be interested in making new Forgotten Realms games, but its unlikely that Wizards of the Coast would allow them to use 2E or 3E rules.
    Really? Why not? They've outsourced 3e rules to other projects before. Including DDO, which is ongoing with continued support.
    You got an point Aranneas. DDO is still online and that is 3e. Why shouldn't WOC let another producer make a game whit their rules settings? I gues that they will get a portion of the profit and if it is not profit, they dont loose anything.. So is it so hard to get perision to use their rules? Well, authors can be strange,lol
    DDO is a 2006 game.

WotC most likely prefers games based on their campaign settings to use the current rules. Consider it publicity.
    You know someone "inside" WotC? And if they acepted other using it in 2006, why not now? When Dragon Age was realesed, i read an short article about it where they claimed it was baldurs gates spiritual sucsessor or something like that, god I was frustrated when realising it wasnt d&d 3e but something completely new and dumbed down system.

I WANT ANOTHER GAME IN 2D and 3e! Fr, Dragon lance, I dont care, just get some good authors and make me antoher game/book!
    Tanthalas said:

DDO is a 2006 game.

WotC most likely prefers games based on their campaign settings to use the current rules. Consider it publicity.

A computer game based on 4e would probably be the most soulless thing i could possibly imagine.

Well, 4e is just plain stupid. I cant belive that they made this, its like going 100m back after traveling 90 m forward.

How many of the current fan would like an game in 4e? my ques is 1% or something, but they would ofcourse conquer an new custumors base, but com on! Screw the money and make something to be proud of!
    I don't know anyone inside WotC, its simply how they do business.

Its not that they accepted that another company used 3E to make DDO, DDO was made using 3E rules because those were the current rules of the time.
    But has 4e been any sucsess? I havnt read through all the rules, I stopped pritty fast when i saw how "dumbed down" it was become.

But if the custumors wants 3e, why insist on staying whit the newest when the mass of people think its a bad rules sett..... They could at least let someone use their 3e rules to make games, but then they would never been able to sell games whit 4e,hehe.
  • WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
    @FillaFillason If they stop defending their product publicly it's like admitting there's something wrong with it ;)
    haha, well there is something wrong whit it. I have played pen and paper back to 1991, and I didnt bother to read throug this bullshit of some rules.

So they should bite in the sour apple and go back to 3e, that was beginning to be VERY good. Almost like on pen and paper. this 4e makes me angry, yes angry actually. Blood and ashes
    They're already developing what's supposed to be 5E.
    Realy? any place I can read about it? Are they going back to 3e style (more complex and choises to say it short) or more against dragon age style?
    I don't know much about it, for the time being its called D&D Next.

You can find out more about it on WotC's website.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Tanthalas is very likely right about this - WoTC seem to like new games to use their newest ruleset in order to get their blessing. It's publicity, and presumably they want crossover players between CRPGs and PnP. According to Trent Oster's tweets it seems contract negotiations are one of the biggest limiting factors for the overhaul games projects.

Wouldn't surprise me if overhaul developed their own IP for a project after all the EE projects. That's the way Bioware went with Dragon Age afterall.
    Then they are idiots. Fah! The rpg players are allready divided over 3-4 rules types, personaly I like 2e and 3.5e best, as do most is my impression, and WoTC are denying people to make more games using that rules, witch people loved. It's close to madnes if you ask me. How long do they have copyright on this rules? Is it possible to sue them? For denying people great entertainment? Blood and ashes
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I think trent's tweet a while back summed the situation up for BG3 and future games: "Come on 5th ed"
    Talvrae said:
    I don't think you understand how old those games are. He's talking about getting one made today (or after the EES are done).
  • TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315
    Aranneas said:

Talvrae said:
    I don't think you understand how old those games are. He's talking about getting one made today (or after the EES are done).
    Ohh i know... i'm just joking a lil bit ;)

• Bobby_SingerBobby_Singer Member Posts: 65
    5th edition is an attempt to blend all four editions somehow (probably some kind of modular system). The thought process, as I understand it, is that there are very strong feelings about all the editions. Plus, you have people like me that play D&D regularly, but haven't purchased a single product in years because I play 2nd ed and have no intention of switching to a newer edition. They want to bring the older edition loyalists back into the fold while still maintaining their current customers.

I am dubious about the whole project at best, but they are asking people to playtest some beta stuff and give their feedback. They want to make it a "player designed" system.

All this info was in the news back in January and I'm sure it can still be found online.
    Are there seriously still people that play 1e ? Just diehard nostalgics or what?
    I never heard of any.... I personnally barelly know the concept surronding the rule of that edition and i started playing in the early days of the second
    I try to avoid these conversations because they tend to digress into a flame war about which edition is best. I don't consider *any* edition best. The best edition is the one you enjoy most, and its not about diehard nostalgia. I've never seen a reason to update.

I've played probably about 50 different pen and paper rpgs over the years starting in 1982 and I happen to enjoy 2nd edition D&D the most (although the original Deadlands was a close second). Also I've reached a point where I can run a campaign with nothing more than dice, a pencil and paper because i know the system so well.

I guess if D&D 1st edition was called something different, say Mines and Minotaurs nobody would bat an eye about people playing years later but because of the name and its history, people think its weird. Having perused some of the later system rule books, its simply a different game with the same name. Not better or worse, but not for me.

As far as 1st ed people? There must be a lot because I can't imagine WotC would spend the money and time to draw the old players back if there weren't any out there. Big companies like that don't get big like that without doing their due diligence.

Surf the web. There are more than few 1st ed web pages out there. Dragonsfoot may be the biggest, but I'm not sure.
    hey i was jsut saying that personally have never heard of any person who played first edition still... and i frequented WotC a lot back in the time of 3rd edition 3.5.... and other roleplaying forum, i think if there is still any they are quite rare... not that that bother me
    I think maybe it seems rare because a lot of people use 1st and 2nd ed interchangeably. Its really pretty easy to house rule any discrepancies (ie making an assassin a 2nd character class isn't that hard). I own most of the 1st and 2nd edition rule books, and if I need to check something, I just grab which ever version is closer.

True story: About two years ago, I was looking at an independently published book of adventures that were printed under a different game name but were, in actuality, D&D 1st ed adventures. So I'm talking to my buddy about it, and suddenly this stranger comes up to us. This guy is mentally disabled but he is the nicest guy ever and it was so cute how excited he was to meet people that played first edition. He didn't know we even existed still. He talked our ear off, asking questions and stuff for like fifteen minutes until I had to apologize and leave because I was already running late. The whole thing just made my day.

Also, I apologize if I came off as a little defensive. Despite having 30 years experience playing (30 years this year as a matter of fact) I've never posted on a D&D related message board because of the vitriol that I've seen between players of the different editions. Back in the day, we were all just gaming nerds. We had to stick together. This is anger thing is new to me.
    No problem, personally started back in 2nd edition, but my favorite edition is 3.5, but it's personal preference, i love the customisation options
    Yeah, and that's my point. Whatever people like, its nice to know there are options out there. And I have to confess that I inadvertently lied. I have posted on a D&D forum (Candlekeep.com) a half dozen times or so, but those were always questions about the forgotten realms rather than about D&D rules. Just had to clear my conscience. lol
    edited July 2012
    -shrug-

The question wasn't intended to come across superior. It's simply that of the over a hundred gamers I've been acquainted with not a single one is still playing 1e. Just trying to get some context to bring my understanding of the topic out of pure anecdote. I've personally never played it myself, it's was pretty hard to get a hold of the books when I started out and I quickly fell in love with the sheer versatility of 3e/3.5.