Skip to content

So I guess the iron ore was enhanced in this edition?

PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
I haven't broken any weapons yet. Or am I just lucky?

I normally carry around extras and some wooden clubs as last-ditch backups.

Comments

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    You are just lucky.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Yeah, I've broken a handful of weapons so far. Fortunately, I just replaced the last non-magical weapon in my party.

Amusingly, I've had a fair share of enemies break weapons against me. Not sure if that happened in the original.
  • IceColdMentholIceColdMenthol Member Posts: 16
    I broke a two handed sword killing one of Revor's rats, with the same character I broke my second two-handed sword killing a gibberling not 2 minutes after leaving candlekeep.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    I only broke two swords so far, in my original playthroughs I broke at least one sword per area. About 5 playthroughs.
    Coincidence?
  • NukeninNukenin Member Posts: 327
    Last night my skald broke his first halberd in his first fight on his first (but fortunately only necessary) attack in the Priest's Quarters in Candlekeep.

Figures Winthrop would sell me shoddy goods.
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265
    Apparently Ninjatos and Wakizashi will not break, so maybe that's it?
  • TeahlTeahl Member Posts: 26
    Aw I haven't had any enemies break weapons against me... That sounds like a fortunate occurrence.

Minsc is breaking his sword every other battle, it seems.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Teahl said:

Aw I haven't had any enemies break weapons against me... That sounds like a fortunate occurrence.

Minsc is breaking his sword every other battle, it seems.

It happened once in a difficult battle in the Black Pits. Probably not working as intended, but quite nice.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I rolled up a Half-Orc Kensai and broke my halberd on the first swing of the game XD Good thing I bought out the merchant in Candlekeep.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I have been able to avoid this I guess by using a ranged character and because I was able to get enchanted weapons for all my party members early on. I've read mixed views on whether or not it is any worse, but it sounds like it is worse (that could just be because people are more prone to reporting when their weapons are breaking than when they are fine).
  • ClockworkClockwork Member Posts: 6
    Broke a 2h sword on the first thug in Candle Keep. After that however, I have yet to break a second.
  • rafnowrafnow Member Posts: 8

Pretty sure I broke a ninjato.
  • NukeninNukenin Member Posts: 327
    rafnow said:

Pretty sure I broke a ninjato.
    Not sure how they were implemented in BG:EE, but "traditionally" (if it can be termed such) anything introducing katanas, ninjatōs, and wakizashis would have them immune to the iron plague as they were crafted elsewhere (e.g. Kara-Tur) and not locally on the Sword Coast.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    I've also had some weapon breakage. Not a lot, but some. Always at a bad time of course. It's happened in The Black Pits even, which I found hilarious. Isn't Drow/Duergar craftsmanship supposed to be really awesome? :P Guess Baeloth has some shoddy products made to kill off more competitors.
  • imajasjamimajasjam Member Posts: 59
    Khalid's weapon broke whilst fighting Monty during a party spat. Jaheria killed Xzar and decided to sit there and watch them go at it.

Khalid knocked Monty down.

again

again

again

again
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    I had a longsword break on me fighting the assassins in Candlekeep :-\
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    In 14 years, I've never had a weapon break on me. Didn't even know about this until a week ago on these forums that this happens to people.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Interesting I have a party thats been to Nashkel and Gnoll fort and cleared most maps between FAI & Nashkel and no ones broken a weapon yet - I have been using a lot of ranged attacks and Dorn & Raasad have magic swords but Minsc was using a regular one when we did his quest and no breakage for him -

Then again between Kivan and my elf FMT with composite bows stuff doesn't usually stay alive long enough for the melee team to get there LOL.
  • State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    I broke a longsword shanking Shank, his only victim, as it were.
  • Corvus_MetusCorvus_Metus Member Posts: 19
    Khalid kept breaking his swords, like all the time. Finally decided to buy him four and by the time I finally got that magic longsword at the Mines, he was down to one.
  • RilburRilbur Member Posts: 54
    Heh, AJantis went througha bout five bastard swords in the Nashkel mines before I finally got to their bottom... at which point he was left wielding a short sword +1 he didn't have any proficiency in.

That hurt.
  • OurQuestIsVainOurQuestIsVain Member Posts: 201
    I broke Minsc's two-handed sword the first time he used it, you are just lucky. I always thought this was a neat feature though, not knowing when your weapon might break on you. If they had your armor be breakable as well then we all would be royally screwed.
  • paulsifer42paulsifer42 Member Posts: 267
    I started a thread about how Minsc breaks a sword every thirty minutes or so. You're just lucky.
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    I always meta-game and wander around getting everyone at least a +1 weapon (if they use melee) just so I don't have to deal with the breaking weapon crap.
  • tyl998tyl998 Member Posts: 144
    O can't afford +1 weapons for my entire party until right before entering the Nashkel mines...
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    I just had this idea... could it be that it's not only about luck but also about the strengh of the character?
    I had three front fighter until I got my dream party.
    Charname a Swashbuckler with two shortswords, Rasaad and Dorn.

Dorn has magical weapon right from the beginning and these don't break and Rasaad is a fist fighter. And since Charname as a Thief had max. on dexterity and only 14 points on strengh it could be that her weapons didn't break that often because her strengh isn't high enough to do so.

It would be logic, but I somehow doubt that they put that in the game. That would have screwed up the whole balance even more than it originally was.