Skip to content

Never buying a BEAMDOG involved game, ever.

PeachesPeaches Member Posts: 2
edited December 2012 in Not An Issue
I'll be reporting the bugs, don't worry, just got to put this in:

I've played Baldur's Gate for YEARS using my ORIGINAL DISCS and using compatibility options in Windows, this is not a "remake," "Enhancement," "Alteration." All "BGEE" is, is mods taken from Gibberlings 3 and then sold for 20 bucks. That's bull... If you're going to charge money for a game.... DO SOMETHING... don't just steal mods and think you're a freaking genius "We can't alter the hard-coded information" THEN REBUILD THE GAME! DO THE GRAPHICS OVER, DO EVERYTHING OVER! If you're going to charge people money... you should actually DO something!

To the Bugs now:

1. Bags (Potion/Gem) Displays "Missing String #xxxxxx" (x being variable numbers)

2. The Information in the Inventory screen doesn't display properly. I'd put examples but almost Everything you put in there, is incorrectly calculated. (Short example: I have a Net Thac0 of 12, yet what is displayed is 15, I am not using spells or enchanted items, just leveling and Proficiency points.)

3. Enemies in the Bandit camp (any with a name) are able to move and act, even when affected by Hold Person or even Sleep. The Priest Spell "Command" DOES work on them.

4. Neera's AI seems to be bugged. I tell her to move forward with no obstructions and she'll have to route some crazy path to get there. (She's a wild mage, that's why! Yuck-yuck :/ )

5. If you have your party highlighted and you hold down 1 on your keypad and then try to select your team, it bugs out so you can't select all team members, also causes it so you have to click them to remove selecting them. (That's not in the Original, doesn't seem to be an intentional programming either.)

6. Party Members and Enemies alike will get "Stuck." Their AI kicks in because of an Enemy, yet they seem not able to move and constantly 'twitch.' I've had 2 Boss fights happen now where the boss didn't move, I didn't cast any spells on them, they stood there. (I reloaded until they unbug)

7. Back to the Bandit Camp, 2 of the named Enemies keep 1 shot-killing full healthed people. When I go look back at the information, it says they only did 1-3 damage. Yet they get chunked. I have my guy with the most HP go out with: Draw Upon Holy Might, Bless, Chant, Armor of Faith, and Aide on, still gets Chunked by a 1-2 damage hit.

8. Gauntlets of Expertise (or whatever the morons from BEAMDOG renamed it to) does not properly add damage. I can get the Thac0 bonus, but the +2 damage does not happen.

9. In Record Damage does not properly formulate. In-fact completely incorrect and sometimes totally opposite date shows up, giving you a chaotic variable.

I'm only up to the Bandits Camp as of this moment. (I haven't been able to play it much, due to work.) I'm sure I'll find more to add to the list. Only have done roughly 4-5 Hours of Gameplay (I like to hit all the places before Nashkel Mines). And there's probably about 45 more hours of gameplay left.

BEAMDOG broke my Favorite Game of All Time, thanks ya douches. I'll make sure to always talk bad about you. I still can't understand how you can make a game that did not suffer from a megaton of glitches to making no real changes to the games functionality and STILL introduce an enormous amount of Glitches. (I've had all the Glitch Fixing, Patches, Fixers, yada yada before BGEE none of them had ANY of these glitches.) **** and the "Missing String" glitch has been there since the Original, I know this.
Post edited by Avenger_teambg on
gunmanAlbinoWyvernIntoTheDarkness

Comments

• TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited December 2012
    With regards to 5, I think this may be caused by using ctrl+esc to minimize the game. Once you go back to the game, simply press the ctrl key once, and you should be able to select characters normally.

With regards to 2, 8, and 9, while the values displayed on the character record/inventory screen might not be correct, I think the values used in combat are.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
    DecrepitDragon
  • What do you mean that is "all they did?" New characters, interaction, a tutorial, new quest lines, the Black Pits? There is a lot added to this game. The game is awesome. Sure it is buggy, but it just came out and they have already updated the game 3 or more times since launch. Chill out and let them fix things rather than calling them morons and threatening to never buy another one of their games again.
    SwordsNotWordsKozaro
  • sirchetsirchet Member Posts: 14
    I'm still waiting for a patch so I can actually start the game.

I, like many others, cannot even get the game to run.

It's not like I have a unique PC configuration or something, I have a very very common i7 intel with an nVidia graphics card.

Are you going to tell me they didn't see that coming. Intel an nVidia are the two most prominent manufacturers according to sales, (I'm not saying they are the best, just the most sold).

Thank God PayPal allows 45 days to dispute any purchase.
  • ImperialSImperialS Member Posts: 7
    Sirchet: I know it probably won't help but still I have a tip for you. I had this problem with another's game launcher, totally messed up, alwas showed error when I tried to start it. I had to bypass launcher & start game by cmd line. Off course when update came I was screwed. My point is, you should try reinstall your windows (if you have all data on secondary disc, this should be a matter of a few hours). luckily I bought new SDD hardisc so I did it and it helped.. Suddenly game worked, I was like wtf, I tried as an experienced user everything, searched tons of forums in english and german.. I still don't know where was a glitch, but if you are desperate, you should definetely try it.

To the topic: I was sceptical and little upset at first too, but when second update came out, I am not regretting this purchase, they're still fixing, even they've been already payed. So I am ooking forward to ultimate engine & baldur's gate 2. Allthough I would like to see named locations on map for better orientation.
    Only thing which still bothers me is unfinished translation to my birth language. I know english, but sometimes I am too lazy to read it in it..
  • RiolathelRiolathel Member Posts: 330
    Cool story bro
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited December 2012
    @Aosaw

I can confirm that "Legacy of the Master" aka Gauntlets of Expertise (why was it renamed?) are not showing the +2 str bonus for damage in the min/max window. It is reporting as +damage in the record summary. Can you verify if this is a known bug?

Also, the cursed The Vampire's Revenge +1 says it negatively affects the intelligence of the wielder, yet it does not. Again, bug?
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    edited December 2012
    OP. You are being a bit unfair here, the engine was completely rebuilt. We all hoped it would be a little more "solid" especialy under windows pcs but I'am sure they will fix it. So in the end thks for the bug reports...
    Remember that they actualy have the rights to add official content, it wasnt easy to get!
    Moiraermo
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited December 2012
    @bigdogchris
    I don't know I would call that a "bug", but it's definitely information that would be good to have. Go ahead and start a thread for it (Call it "things that aren't reflected in Damage and THAC0 display values" or something, so you can add items to the list). My guess is it's just something that wasn't considered--there are only a few items that aren't weapons that grant bonuses to THAC0 or Damage, so that's probably why.

The Vampire's Revenge thing is more of a descriptive inconsistency, but I'll tag @Jalily because she works more closely with the game's text.

As to the OP, I kind of take issue with the tone of that post, and to be honest I didn't read most of it because of that. My suggestion to you would be to take a moment to consider how you want to phrase your bug report, and spend your post actually reporting the bugs that you find.

If you want to discuss your frustrations, there are plenty of threads for just that. What you've posted here... isn't helpful to anyone.
    MoomintrollThomasMinkermo
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    I've filed the Vampire's Revenge thing as a bug because the way the effect is originally described is so unique as to be clearly intentional: "Affects intelligence in a negative manner... I think... duhhhhhh."
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    First of all, there's no point in arguing with somebody that wants to be mad and takes the tack that the world is over or the game is unfixable. Trying to do so gets you into circular arguments.

Second, why do we care what that person will or won't do? While it sucks for Overhaul to lose a potential customer, I think lots of what they are doing is to satisfy the potential future customers and to make the product better and better. Focus on that, instead of the lost causes.

Finally a missing string since the original is hardly BD/OVHL's fault, now, is it? Oh, wait. Trolls can bring anything they want into an argument and spew forth more.

I agree. BG:EE is not perfect. Big surprise. Is stuff being fixed as we speak, yes. Again, Big Surprise (not!). Sigh. I'm going to go and gather my party...
    MoomintrollmlneveseThomasMinkermo
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862

@Aosaw

I can confirm that "Legacy of the Master" aka Gauntlets of Expertise (why was it renamed?) are not showing the +2 str bonus for damage in the min/max window. It is reporting as +damage in the record summary. Can you verify if this is a known bug?

Also, the cursed The Vampire's Revenge +1 says it negatively affects the intelligence of the wielder, yet it does not. Again, bug?
    I've reported it back in beta. But there have been worse bugs to fix.
    ermo
  • gunmangunman Member Posts: 215
    The game is a disappointment to me as well. Their added content such as "The Black Pits" or the new characters don't add much value, personally I'm not interested in TBP at all so I won't touch it. So if you strip the added content what's left? A BG Trilogy installment with more bugs than in BGT or original game. Sure, they can fix them with patches, but when you rebuild one of the greatest games of all times you can't afford to release such a broken product, it's an embarrassment.

Yes, all games have bugs on release, but there is a scale even in this aspect, and this one is towards the worse end. The fact they had a 10+ team working on it is even more shameful. I would understand if this was the work of a 3-4 man team and no QA at all. I know about game programming and they didn't write a game engine from scratch, so it's far from an epic project or massive undertaking.

I see people asking for a BG2:EE or PST:EE before having a quality product in BG:EE. It saddens me to see a decline in almost every aspect of society over the years, including movies, music and video games. It's the consumerism which prevails and that's a shame.
    Sigfenmil
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    The main problem, again, is that we are doing their job.

We are stumbling upon these bugs and report it during a normal playthrough.

We did not anything fancy to detect them and report them.
  • AdanuAdanu Member Posts: 37
    Considering the constraints they had to work in contractually, I'm amazed this game isn't buggier. If they could actually change shit, this would be a whole different story.

Want someone to blame? Blame WOTC for being assholes about the license.
    SwordsNotWords
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    I'm going to add to the OP's list of bugs.

10. Dual Monitors and not being able to ALT-TAB and minimise the game. The game just sits there while your Windows Taskbar appears. When you open an app, like a browser, it's 'behind the game' and you can't see that app.

11. The zoom reset is annoying as heck and the Beta testers on these forums said this is a 'feature' (lol wut? WTF?) and not a bug and working as intended which I find truly unbelievable. Anyone trying to justify this as a feature is truly out of touch with reality and making excuses. It's a bug pure and simple. A zoom lock has been requested and no answer if this will be done any time soon.

12. Group Formation isn't saving at times and will change your group formation to a triangle. This can happen when you reload a saved game or have an ingame cutscene like Garrick/Silke. It doesn't happen all the time. Seems to be random.

13. When you tab across things like 'Select All' or the 'Party A.I.' on the bottom right of the screen, the scroll doesn't disappear when you move your mouse away and leaves a bit of the scroll showing, and have to hit U to get rid of it.

14. The spawns of the monsters is bugged and places like the Gnoll Fortress was nearly abandoned.

15. New content added that is bugged eg. Elven Chain mail not dropping during the Dorn encounter at Nashkel.

16. Enter Key on the Number pad doesn't work. Both Enter keys should work and do the same thing.

17. ESC key doesn't work in cinematics.

18. Apparently Druids can't use the Ankheg Armor. This needs to be fixed.

19. Removed in game dialogue for some of the people you meet in the game. eg. Bassillus' 'Oh Brother Thurm....'

20. Unable to stop the Critical Hit Screen shaking. BG1 didn't have this. BG2 did have this and had the option to turn it off. Theoretically this isn't a bug, but we should have the option to turn it off.
  • KougaKouga Member Posts: 83
    OP puts it with such a whine I couldn't read more past point 2. I held out quite long didn't I?
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    Kouga said:

OP puts it with such a whine I couldn't read more past point 2. I held out quite long didn't I?

Yet you had time to respond.

nrq
  • mikehhhhmikehhhh Member Posts: 7
    edited December 2012
    I have to say something here. The game isn't perfect, but I've been playing it for a while and mostly having fun. But I just have to say, expectations these days has gone to the "uber" level.

All games have bugs. The original BG had bugs. They didn't "Break" the original BG. It took several patches from Bioware back in the day to get BG 1 right and then everyone modded it. Ultima's from Origin had bugs. Games from Blizzard had ( have ) bugs.

At least they are working on fixing them and listening to the users ( us ) reporting the bugs.

But what does everyone expect? I think its awesome that I could replay BG in higher resolution with more content for only 20 bucks. A movie with a drink and popcorn is 20 bucks and that lasts 2 hours.

At least I'm getting my money's worth as I've enjoyed the game probably around 10 hours at this point. That's 2 bucks an hour.

I'm sorry that some people are experiencing bugs, but look at the positives:

1. New people are going to experience Baldur's gate and maybe that interest will result in a BG 3 one day.
    2. Its still a great value for a game as you don't have to be connected to the internet to play, its only 20 bucks, I mean my god. A burger and fries at Five Guys is over 10 bucks now.
    3. They created a wild-mage and a Monk and a Blackguard NPC. I think that's cool.
    4. BG is running in the BG 2 engine now so you can use kit's. I am playing an Archer kit.

I mean, if you are that torqued off, just do something else for a month ( maybe watch a few movies and eat some good hamburgers ) and let them fix the bugs. Then download the updates in 30 days and play it again.

By the way, I don't work for Beamdog or anything. I'm just a 40 something gamer that also happens to be a software engineer, so I kind of understand how much work these guys had to do. Respect the coders!!

:)
    ElectricMonkermokilroy_was_here
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722

17. ESC key doesn't work in cinematics.

It does work, but you need to have seen the cinematic at least once.
    It has always been this way in Vanilla Baldur's Gate (1&2)
  • SachaSacha Posts: 2
    gunman said:

The game is a disappointment to me as well. Their added content such as "The Black Pits" or the new characters don't add much value, personally I'm not interested in TBP at all so I won't touch it. So if you strip the added content what's left? A BG Trilogy installment with more bugs than in BGT or original game. Sure, they can fix them with patches, but when you rebuild one of the greatest games of all times you can't afford to release such a broken product, it's an embarrassment.

Yes, all games have bugs on release, but there is a scale even in this aspect, and this one is towards the worse end. The fact they had a 10+ team working on it is even more shameful. I would understand if this was the work of a 3-4 man team and no QA at all. I know about game programming and they didn't write a game engine from scratch, so it's far from an epic project or massive undertaking.

I see people asking for a BG2:EE or PST:EE before having a quality product in BG:EE. It saddens me to see a decline in almost every aspect of society over the years, including movies, music and video games. It's the consumerism which prevails and that's a shame.

You are MORE than right. It sadens me inmensely as well. Let's hope the people like us still yet fighting for that we enjoy.

• AdanuAdanu Member Posts: 37
    Sacha said:

gunman said:

You are MORE than right. It sadens me inmensely as well. Let's hope the people like us still yet fighting for that we enjoy.

.... seriously? Most AA type games have a couple HUNDRED people working on them to get near 'shipping' quality, and you think 10 people is a great amount?

You people need a serious reality check on game development and how it works because you can even begin to talk again. As it is, your ignorance is showing heavily.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    We're all beta-testers at the moment (without the badge thou :)
    I must say I do not know how Trent and his guys are used to work, but I as far as I can see they are active on the forum and release patches frequently to repair what is broken.
    What makes me confident is that I see every modders I always kept in great consideration,
    supporting and helping the Beamdog staff to fix, test this project.
    The passion for this game and the skill of Avenger, DavidW, Ascension64 and many others is out of question. So if they're still here it's a good enough reason for me stay.
    ThomasMinkSese79ermo
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    I had been eagerly anticipating this game since I first learned of the project however many months ago that was. Now that I have it, any disappointment over some really *minor* bugs is outweighed by the ability to play BG in an updated engine with various codes and effects that work like they are supposed to. Those minor bugs will either be fixed by the developers for things I do not know how to do (mod a GUI? yeah, right...let me get back to you on that) or I will fix them myself (an item doesn't apply an effect correctly? *tinker* *tinker* There--it's fixed.)

If you are truly disappointed then don't get upset; instead, simply walk away. It isn't worth the emotional energy being spent fruitlessly.
  • KozaroKozaro Member Posts: 71
    edited December 2012
    21. Inside of the Candlekeep walls it is possible to kill Jondalar (and Erik) during training fight he inquire. After casting Command spell on him and just before madly mashing his flesh. I felt guilty by doing so. But what is the cost of NPC's life in comparison to experience you gain after that disastrous encounter.

• XzerostuXzerostu Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2012
    Today, most games get patched here and there. It usually takes weeks to a month for even the first patch. Some games you get it opening night sure ,but then what about patch number 2? Now I know they should have done more testing, but what company do you know of that not only admits they did wrong, but releases this many patches WEEK number 1? Honestly and truly, if you really feel the game is not up to par and that the original Baldur's Gate with mods is what your playing, I explicitly remember it being said in one of the recent update posts for the patch on Dec. 3rd, that Refunds are available to those that want it. Get your 20 bux back, Play Baldurs gate your way. Thank you for the bug listings. Now put out your flame you rude twerp.
    jflieder
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    @Peaches Could you tell me more about point 2? What class, level, proficiencies, equipment you have?
  • KozaroKozaro Member Posts: 71
    22. In the name of Malar, why these lazy cats won't help your character. Remember the plague of rats wreaking havoc in one of the Candlekeep's settlements? Adding a script to enable them doing their "cat thing" and even doubling the army of ratities would be a nice touch in "Enhanced" version of the game.

23. Obe's "illusions" still drop equipable items.