Skip to content

1PP in BG:EE

ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
I saw this on Trent Oster's twitter last night, and since nobody has yet posted a new discussion about it, I figured I would:

"Erephine has agreed to include the 1PP work into #bgee We're just trying to make it play nice with our setup."
-Trent Oster

I don't know about you guys, but this is very exciting news to me. I'm glad to hear that Erephine has agreed to include her work, I think that this will be a major improvement to the game. Some of you may not know what 1PP is, and so this is the description from the download page of the main component:

"This mod changes the paperdolls and (some of the) inventory icons of Baldur's Gate II to those of Baldur's Gate. There's a lot of content in Baldur's Gate 2 (especially in the ToB expansion) that simply doesn't live up to the artwork quality that Baldur's Gate offered -- the paperdolls are a good example. This mod aims to replace exactly these parts of the game with content that lives up to the quality we were used to from the original Baldur's Gate."

If you're interested in checking out the mod pages for yourself, I'll link them below:

One Pixel Productions v2
1ppv3: Avatar Fixes
1PPv3: Paperdolls (in progress)
1PPv3 Fixes: Avatar/Paperdoll Fix
1ppv3: Female Dwarves
1PP: Flaming Swords
1PPv3: Flaming short swords
1ppv3: Colourable Quarterstaves
1ppv3: Legacy Shields (D1)
1ppv3: Legacy Shields (D2)
1ppv3: Legacy Shields (D3)
1PPv3 Fixes: Medium Shield Fix
1pp: Attachable Wings
1ppv3: Extended Palette Entries
1ppv3: Thieves Galore

Also, for those of you interested in using this mod that prefer a simpler installation process, @cmorgan compiled 1PP v2 (the main component) with most of the v3 content into an easy installer, which can be found here:

1ppv2.70 - All current components

And finally, here's a sample, which can be found on the download link above as well:
RisingsunAndreaColomboAntonSirBuliwyfBhryaenYemethDukeOfSuffolkg314SkinnyDFredSRichardsonZafiromch202ShapiroKeatsDarkMageRushAndAPushJalilyT2av

Comments

• powerfulallypowerfulally Member Posts: 261
    It was already mentioned in "[BG:EE] PLEASE READ - LIST OF THINGS THAT CAN'T BE DONE.", but I guess it's good for a new thread.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    This is great news.

It would be great If they could use some of the in game graphic mods out there.
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    edited July 2012
    @powerfulally Yeah, I saw it there, but I figured a lot of people wouldn't be continuing to look through that thread (also, it doesn't really fit in that thread). It was also mentioned in "Decoding Twitters" already, but again I felt that it was an important enough piece of news to have its own discussion.
    Post edited by ElectricMonk on
    SirBuliwyf
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    Please excuse me while I jump around and whoop in joy! :D
    ElectricMonkSirBuliwyfg314
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    Excellent news! At least BGEE won't be a graphical downgrade from BG1 animation-wise.

It's not clear what components are being integrated though, I'll assume all of them?
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    edited July 2012
    @Zeckul - you mean paperdoll-wise? 'cause mirrored BG2 animations are still totally to be there, just edited to remove the most glaring issues and inconsistencies (thieves should get the biggest overhaul, since they will supposedly look hooded).
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    edited July 2012
    I never liked the hoods, so I hope they adjust the 1PP mod a little and don't adopt it wholesale. I appreciate the differences between BG1's inventory/paperdoll style and that of BG2, after all it takes place in another country. It makes sense that helmets, armor, shields and the like would look different.

The off-hand weapon change is a nice one, though, as are the non-pixelly weapons.
    tena
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    I name all my thieves Strider. The hood must stay. ;)
    SkinnyD

@Zeckul - you mean paperdoll-wise? 'cause mirrored BG2 animations are still totally to be there, just edited to remove the most glaring issues and inconsistencies (thieves should get the biggest overhaul, since they will supposedly look hooded).

... Gah I thought this did the same thing as the IWD/ToTLM 1PP component which restored BG1/IWD animations. Thanks for clarifying.

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Zeckul

They could never restore the BG1 animations because those don't support dual-wielding.
    There will be dual wielding in BGI? Won't this unbalance the game?
    I think the new kits might unbalance the game more than dual-wielding.

I name all my thieves Strider. The hood must stay. ;)

Who can disagree with a real space hamster. Make them optional, I do actually like them for some characters :)

Some of the kits do get very powerful. Just read over some of the descriptions, Priest of Talos grants ONE lightning bolt per level, starts at 1. That is way over powered for BG world. Many other kits are similar. Hmmm, that will be tough for game balancing. Is it confirmed that kits will be included in BGI?
    edited July 2012
    @Space_hamster

Yeah, its confirmed.

EDIT: I checked Lightning Bolts for Priest of Talos. Its actually one bolt per day per 5 levels.
    Well tha'ts cool, will be interesting to see how it affects game balance. I plan to crank up the difficultly level anyway. ;)
    Well, if no effort is made to balance stuff, Totemic Druids will have a field day.
  • SkinnyDSkinnyD Member Posts: 28
    Fantastic news, 1PP mods are brilliantly done in my opinion.
    As far as balance though, I can't wait to see what kind of bugs and/or glitches I can play with.
    If I get lucky, I'll be able to put magic missile spells into a spell contingency and then put that contingency into a contingency and so forth.
    Nothing will be as satisfying as glitching out and hitting Noober with approximately 10 to the power of 6 magic missiles at once.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    edited July 2012
    Not to sound crass - I really do appreciate Erephine's mods, and it's good that they/she get this kind of recognition - but I'm not sure I see the big-whoop-factor. The situation right now is that players can use the BG2 paper dolls/weapons if they like those, and, thanks to Erephine, the 1PP mods if they prefer those, i.e. everyone can choose what they prefer. Integrating 1PP into the game just sounds like it will take away that choice, unless they keep all the BG2 paperdolls in as well.
    tenaThe_New_RomanceMornmagor
  • JarlJarl Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 99
    edited July 2012
    Great news!
    But the Bg2-style-shields should be added too, i suggest.
    g314The_New_Romance
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    @Shin - Who would ever willingly choose to use BG2 avatars and paperdolls, apart perhaps from blind gamers? ;-)
    Medillenmch202
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    I like some of the BG2 paperdolls TBH, just some faces (elves' OMG) are terrible. I do NOT like the male human fighter BG1 doll especially.
    CrevsDaak
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited July 2012
    lansounet said:

I like some of the BG2 paperdolls TBH.

Hence, you are half blind ;-)
    AndreaColombo
    I like the BG2 shields and item graphics. Most of them. Also, I prefer non-hooded Imoen (although she looks a little... broad). I think the choice should definitely be left in.

It's okay to have the mod in BG1 as it restores BG1 paperdoll design in the BG2 engine (or so I understand it). If there is a BG2:EE, please leave it as it was originally. Alternatively, leave everything the way it is and have uncomplicated mod support for those who prefer 1PP or other changes.
    Tingel
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    mch202 said:

lansounet said:

Hehe, well it's mainly the human male fighter, naked. Once you put armor on (helmet especially) it's all good.

• MedillenMedillen Member Posts: 632
    lansounet said:

mch202 said:

lansounet said:

Hehe, well it's mainly the human male fighter, naked. Once you put armor on (helmet especially) it's all good.

Why in the WORLD would you look at a naked human fighter ? xD Pervert !
    CrevsDaak
    Hey, it could always be worse ;)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    AntonCrevsDaak
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345

@Shin - Who would ever willingly choose to use BG2 avatars and paperdolls, apart perhaps from blind gamers? ;-)

Some people may prefer them all swapped out, some people may prefer a mix, and most likely there are those who would prefer the BG2 ones. The point is that the present-day situation where you can mix and match exactly what you want is superior compared to just replacing the BG2 objects and making them unavailable.

The_New_RomanceMornmagorg314Fenghoang
    edited July 2012
    Shin said:

Some people may prefer them all swapped out, some people may prefer a mix, and most likely there are those who would prefer the BG2 ones. The point is that the present-day situation where you can mix and match exactly what you want is superior compared to just replacing the BG2 objects and making them unavailable.

If people really want the BG2 graphics back they can always mod them back in, just like 1PP did for BG1 graphics. I doubt there will be much demand for it though. The purpose of BGEE is to provide the best possible out-of-the-box experience for everyone and this move goes in the right direction.

mch202
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    She really did a very nice job with her mods. Glad she entered the team.