Skip to content

A crappy stat rolling monitoring utility I made.

Comments

• RavelRavel Member Posts: 140
    Abel said:

Nice one! How did you do that?

I used a program called Cheat Engine which helped me locate the appropriate memory addresses and then wrote a small LUA script to interface with the program to add & display the stat values.

Since I look at the memory addresses directly, just about any update to the game will break previous versions of the program - so make sure to grab the appropriate file. I feel it's also important to note that I only ever read the addresses in memory, and never write anywhere, so the chance of any sort of data corruption should be incredibly small even with a program so prone to crash as this one.
  • DriftwoodDriftwood Member Posts: 9
    Seems like a cool program, but is it possible to download it from somewhere else? Apparently I'm not allowed to download it because I'm from Sweden (see FAQ: http://www.gamefront.com/file-hosting-faq/).
  • OnceWasPerfectOnceWasPerfect Member Posts: 4
    I signed up just to tell you thank you. Awesome little program. I hope you can keep it updated when the new patches come out.
  • theoricustheoricus Member Posts: 115
    How does ctrl + 8 work? Never heard of that :P
    @Theoricus

There's a pretty good thread about Ctrl-8 and the other console commands here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8317/how-to-customize-your-game/p1
  • MasonguitarMasonguitar Member Posts: 35
    Very Nice indeed. I had this thought in my head but I am unable to program a TV remote! Thanks so Much!
  • DriftwoodDriftwood Member Posts: 9
    edited December 2012
    Ravel said:
    Thanks! I will check it out.

EDIT: Works like a charm! I'm probably going to click my brains out when I come home from work tonight. Good stuff.
    Post edited by Driftwood on
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    Oh god no.
    This is like crack to me.
    Masonguitar
    edited December 2012
    Just took the utility for it's first real spin to see how well I could roll a Fighter/Thief.

I wanted to roll an elf, even though a half-orc can get higher strength and much better constitution. I wanted to get the +1 to bows and longswords, as well as the extra thief proficiencies for 19 dex (not to mention the base racial thieving bonuses for elves compared to half-orcs), and an 18/00 strength roll would put me only 1 melee damage down from 19 strength - which I felt was more than adequately compensated by the reasons I listed above.

I spent about 10-15 mins while I was working, and managed to roll:

Strength: 18/00
    Dexterity: 19
    Constitution: 17
    Intelligence: 8
    Wisdom: 8
    Charisma: 18

The total comes to 88, with an 18/00 strength :D
    I just saw that there was an update - I downloaded it and applied it and it doesn't appear to have broken the program. In fact, the launcher still shows v1.0.2009, so this most recent patch may not have changed much, which would explain that.

Lemme know if you guys run into any problems with it.
    It works great for me! Rolled a 92 in 15 minutes!
  • OssoryOssory Member Posts: 56
    edited December 2012
    Hm, I love the tool (in theory so far) but the download links don't work for me ;(

EDIT:
    I just realised I may have had the same issue as @Driftwood. Downloading from Mediafire.
  • CurmudgeonCurmudgeon Member Posts: 57
    Nice job. Be great if Beamdog would integrate something like this into the UI as new feature.
  • LisandruLisandru Member Posts: 13
    Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!
    Ossory
  • WabbitTwaksWabbitTwaks Member Posts: 54
    Works wonderfully. Now, instead of the boring job of re-rolling and adding numbers, I get the mind numbing task of left clicking while staring at a little white box. Thanks! Hehe. :D Really though, thanks so much for this.
    CaptRoryIllustair
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473

Works wonderfully. Now, instead of the boring job of re-rolling and adding numbers, I get the mind numbing task of left clicking while staring at a little white box. Thanks! Hehe. :D Really though, thanks so much for this.

I made a little script for autorolling. Seemed to work well on my computer but don't know how it would work on others.
    Sounds great Freche can we try it on our PC?
    I could probably upload it tomorrow.
    edited December 2012
    No dice ;).

Doesn't work for me. Access is denied error usually pops up. Too bad, looks awesome.

[Not asking for tech support, it came with ample caveats]
    Guarocuya

Sounds great Freche can we try it on our PC?

Uploaded and posted on the modding forum http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/10937/utility-bgee-autoroller
  • FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    Ok so thanks to your program I can finally prove my gut feeling that about 70% of all rolls are either 75 or 76. The dice rolls are sooo random it makes me wanna cry u_u
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    edited December 2012
    Fredjo said:

Ok so thanks to your program I can finally prove my gut feeling that about 70% of all rolls are either 75 or 76. The dice rolls are sooo random it makes me wanna cry u_u

Not quite 70%. I spent about an hour rolling stats for a human fighter and recording the results yesterday. 519 rolls break down to something like this.

75 140
    76 100
    77 80
    78 50
    79 49
    80 31
    81 20
    82 18
    83 10
    84 10
    85 6
    86 2
    87 2
    89 1

Its not the same for all classes. Cleric/Ranger, Ranger, and Paladin tend higher, with a lot more 90+.
    FredjoCrevsDaak
  • FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    edited December 2012
    MERLANCE said:

Fredjo said:

Not quite 70%. I spent about an hour rolling stats for a human fighter and recording the results yesterday. 519 rolls break down to something like this.

75 140
    76 100
    77 80
    78 50
    79 49
    80 31
    81 20
    82 18
    83 10
    84 10
    85 6
    86 2
    87 2
    89 1

Its not the same for all classes. Cleric/Ranger, Ranger, and Paladin tend higher, with a lot more 90+.
    Rolling a human fighter as well and it seems like an impossible task to get over 90, not to mention 95. I wonder how many patches will come out before I manage to roll my 98+ fighter D:
  • WabbitTwaksWabbitTwaks Member Posts: 54
    edited December 2012
    Random rolling is, if you can imagine it, random. I rolled a 55% 94 human fighter within 30 minutes yesterday. Stored and continued rolling for another 30 minutes and hit a 90+ at least three more times, but did not get better than the 94.
  • GuarocuyaGuarocuya Member Posts: 26

No dice ;).

Doesn't work for me. Access is denied error usually pops up. Too bad, looks awesome.

Me too but enough people are liking it that it seems like a good tool.
    Guarocuya said:

No dice ;).

Me too but enough people are liking it that it seems like a good tool.
    @Guarocuya I'll take a look at it - If you could let me know which version you downloaded, and maybe screenshot the error you're getting, I'd appreciate it.

Also, just to double check - you already made sure that there was no other Baldur.exe program running in the background, and BG:EE was updated to the latest version and already at the stat rolling screen when you hit start, right?
    @Deucetipher Same as above - if you could screenshot your error and check to make sure you were doing the stuff I listed above, that would be great!
    Huh. Downloaded it again, did the same thing and it worked this time. Weird.

Check out that roll
    elminster
    Great Roll. I just rolled a 97 with Str 93% for a fighter! WOOT!
    toanwrathCrevsDaak