Skip to content

I had no idea how much better it looked until..

So I finished BGEE a few days ago, and I loved it and I now have the urge to go back to BG2 which I started playing several months ago but didn't get far into it.

As soon as I go into it i'm like "arrgh the graphics look terrible" and I realized how much the graphics were improved in BGEE.

Good job guys :)

I really wish BG2EE was out, and it's a shame it won't be for ages :Z

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    It *should* work. All of the PC kits like wild mage and monk already existed in BG2 anyway and no NPCs carry over. If it doesn't you could just reroll a new char with the same stats and it's pretty much the same game. The only difference is a few items (like the pantaloons) carry over if you had them.
  • MikePXPMikePXP Member Posts: 54
    I hate to sound negative but if you use widescreen mod with BG2 it makes EE look like shit in comparison.
  • dominancedominance Member Posts: 14
    So I tried to play BG2 even with the widescreen mod and without the BGEE improvements I see no point.

Oh well i'll definately play BG2EE if they bring it out.
  • marfigmarfig Member Posts: 208
    dominance said:

So I tried to play BG2 even with the widescreen mod and without the BGEE improvements I see no point.

Whoa! Let's not get carried away. BG2 is still very playable. As is BG 1, btw. Despite all the love for BGEE and what it is trying to accomplish, there's still plenty to do to get it to the level of those two games after 15 years of patching and modding. Calm down.
  • vekkthvekkth Member Posts: 25
    i dont think he is nervous. i have exactly the same experience. mind you, i am rather old RPG fan, i think my first PC RPG was EOB back in the days, and it was over 20 years ago. Not to brag, just to assure you i have seen most of it. About a year ago i installed BGT with all the mods and i couldnt make myself out of Candlekeep. But i really enjoy BGEE. I am sure there are people who do not mind the style of vanilla BG1 and 2, because they are more about the setting and the mechanics, but i am with those who see the difference.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    I just put on BGT on to make a screenshot for a different them and my eyes nearly started to bleed. The next person who said that the graphics in BG:EE are to pixely get's his butt kicked for goodness! It looks soooo much better!
  • misiekbemisiekbe Member Posts: 17
    Graphics is reallllllly improved and my eyes don't hurt when I play :)
  • jscohenjscohen Member Posts: 117
    marfig said:

Whoa! Let's not get carried away. BG2 is still very playable. As is BG 1, btw. Despite all the love for BGEE and what it is trying to accomplish, there's still plenty to do to get it to the level of those two games after 15 years of patching and modding. Calm down.

Let's not get the rose-colored glasses for the modding scene. I think EE is a lot better because you get similar kinds of enhancements as Trilogy/Tutu and lots of other mods, all in a single package without having to juggle compatibility for a dozen different mods. Besides, the forum drama and community wars of the modding scene are downright painful.

I just put on BGT on to make a screenshot for a different them and my eyes nearly started to bleed. The next person who said that the graphics in BG:EE are to pixely get's his butt kicked for goodness! It looks soooo much better!

Must be the resoluiton. I play at 1920x1080 while EE doesn't really allow this it gets stretched and pixilated while true 1920x1080 that the widescreen mod allows for compresses the graphics making them look better.

I don't know how you guys think a blurry gui looks good? I can see the argument for not wanting things to look "small" that makes sense but blurry I don't understand.

Don't get me wrong. I like EE and put in 20 or so hours and will play again after some patching but its not graphically superior to the original with the widescreen mod thats just doesn't make sense to me.

I will have to try your screenshot comparison test myself to see if I am missing something (though I have played both version within the past week)

• kiroskiros Member Posts: 119
    edited December 2012
    I really don't understand how "larger resolution" constitutes better graphics, in my opinion it makes all the characters look like ants which is a minus, not a positive attribute.

As far as the Zoom capabilities are concerned, I have to constantly re-adjust my zoom preference because it continues to reset to it's default screen ratio..which I personally don't enjoy.

The cut-scene with Gorion for instance had like 40% of the outer screen fogged out and not viewable (not that their was anything to view in that area anyway) so what's the point in having it that large?
    The npc's were so small I barely noticed what was happening.

Literally every new area I'm entering I'm having to re-adjust it. I wish their was an in-game option to set the resolution to my preference and make it stay.
  • QuineloeQuineloe Member Posts: 55
    can you back this up with comparison screenshots? Should be trivial to reproduce the exact same screenshot in the different engines
    edited December 2012
    These are both 1920x1080. Speaks for itself no?

Photobucket
    edited December 2012
    I don't have TUTU installed but I can easily install it to get EXACT same shot for each game.

Those are both 1920x1080 and I cropped the bottom section 512x480 so you could see them both together.

Now you can say you don't like it "smaller" but you can't say BG2 looks worse lol that is ridiculous.

Also that is vanilla BG2 with nothing but widescreen mod installed. No other mods at all.
    kiros said:

I really don't understand how "larger resolution" constitutes better graphics, in my opinion it makes all the characters look like ants which is a minus, not a positive attribute.

I wouldn't dispute your opinion on that, its a matter of preference. I prefer smaller and you don't thats cool. But for someone to say BG2 looks so bad that you couldn't go back to it after how great the EE graphics are? That I will dispute.
    edited December 2012
    Also, widescreen mod give you the option to change to ANY resolution you want. Also any font size. I will abandon the original BG2 only when the widescreen mod is available for EE.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    + 'Scale UI' 'o'
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    @mch202 has the right of it. There's a beta of widescreen for BG:EE built in, read this thread:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/10014/big-screen-beta/p1
  • kiroskiros Member Posts: 119
    edited December 2012
    MikePXP said:

I wouldn't dispute your opinion on that, its a matter of preference. I prefer smaller and you don't thats cool. But for someone to say BG2 looks so bad that you couldn't go back to it after how great the EE graphics are? That I will dispute.

Indeed, It's all down to personnel preference.
    The ability to modify the resolution via zoom is appreciated but it refuses to "stick" to the configuration you adjust.. Hence it's resetting to its default setting upon entering every new area. (I do not enjoy the default resolution)

I'm praying the team will patch this, or introduce a feature that allows you to set the resolution the way you want and make it stay (for those who want a consistent playthrough without the hassles of re-adjusting screen resolution)

It's early days and the game was only just released, so I'm sure the issue will be rectified.
    edited December 2012
    Corvino said:

@mch202 has the right of it. There's a beta of widescreen for BG:EE built in, read this thread:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/10014/big-screen-beta/p1

Now that puts EE graphics on par with TUTU! Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
    Post edited by MikePXP on
  • vekkthvekkth Member Posts: 25
    MikePXP said:

These are both 1920x1080. Speaks for itself no?

Photobucket

Bwahahah dude, why did you have to make a screenshot of BGEE at night AND when its rainy then? To strengthen your point? I would appreciate a proper comparison, but this is just slightly biased to me :)
    edited December 2012
    how so? my point is with the UI being blurry. The game graphic themselves are identical when unscaled. Otherwise I would have captured the middle of the screen.

Its irrelevant now that there is a widescreen fix. Now they are truly the same graphics.
  • junk11junk11 Member Posts: 117
    ye, BGEE is a lot better in graphic...as for UI..depends...
    the only thing I don't like about BGEE is..the text box....TOO SMALL!!..or cut that golden bar so i can read at least 2 lines...or give me a option to close it without hide interface :/
  • DiscoCatDiscoCat Member Posts: 73
    @MikePXP
    Widescreen is fine and dandy, except that it's uncomfortable for me to play on my monitor's native resolution, which is 1440x900@19'. Everything's too small. It's not even that great of a pixel density, now imagine how much worse it would be on a full HD 15' laptop screen or, even worse, a retina display. So, playing BGT, I always settle for 960x600 which means blurriness is unavoidable for me. With EE I get controlled zoom plus nicer spell effects, snappier performance (no loading screens) and hardware cursor.
    edited December 2012
    junk11 said:

ye, BGEE is a lot better in graphic...as for UI..depends...
    the only thing I don't like about BGEE is..the text box....TOO SMALL!!..or cut that golden bar so i can read at least 2 lines...or give me a option to close it without hide interface :/

I feel like an idiot after reading some of these comments because I thought they didn't change the graphics other than the UI? ... Somebody prove me wrong, I don't want to walk around with false information.

My comparison was only bad because I didn't use the same scale for the UI since I have no idea what EE scales from but either way the BG2 UI at any resolution as far as I can remember isn't blurry.

And now to stop beating this dead horse, they fixed the blurry UI at the link Corvino provided a few posts up.
  • valkyvalky Member Posts: 386
    edited December 2012
    The BGEE gfx is slightly more polished..without widescreen for BG2 and without using 'Scale UI', 'o', for BGEE you should see some difference - at least on the characters. But am too lazy to uninstall widescreen mod just to compare a unmodified BG2 game screen. Only tested 1024*768 prior to modifying it...

But then again, if I fully zoom in BGEE I see the same pixel-character (only more blurry) as in BG2 with the scale-ui option enabled (great stuff btw).

And I really don't care where the heck my interface buttons on the bottom bar are placed..lol. That's really gamebreaking and detains me from playing BG2 *rolleyes*

Still it was worth paying the 17~€ :)

@Shandyr: Import works well including the 'abuse' of importing items...even if it's not important as it rains +3 stuff everywhere (maybe only some 'specific' items ^^)

@junk11: huh? You have 2 buttons on the right of the textbox to resize it...they are pretty big. Or did I misunderstand ye' ?
  • RapscallionRapscallion Member Posts: 81
    MikePXP said:

I hate to sound negative but if you use widescreen mod with BG2 it makes EE look like shit in comparison.

I just came in to say exactly the same thing. I'm playing BG2 right now with widescreen mod and it's gorgeous.