Skip to content

great things about the game you're rediscovering (spoilers abound)

Comments

• LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, but when bossy and wanna-be party leader Jaheira states "An open wound in mother earth. I would plug it had I the power!" it always makes me laugh. I doubt Freud's penis envy theory is taken very seriously anymore, but the association is there.
    BelgarathMTHNukenin
  • lunarhalolunarhalo Member Posts: 71
    Pairdice said:

When you click on Shar-Teel, she says, "Men are pathetic."

When you click a place for her to go, she says, "Ok."

When you click in quick succession, she says, "Men are.... Ok."

"Helm...yeah!"
    BelgarathMTHRaistlin82rdarken
    edited November 2012

Thats not as bad as Rasaad's boots which sell for 12,500 gp lol

The description of the boots is pretty darned amusing too. But 12,500 GP for arch support and freedom from backaches? They're clearly having some fun there, but that does seem insanely high. Unless there's more to this story. I only just added Rasaad.

edited December 2012
    I'd forgotten how badass vampiric wolves are! Here I have assembled a party that has gotten pretty formidable now*... having finally added Dorn... and I was wondering if the game was going to start becoming a cakewalk. Then I encountered those blasted vampiric wolves. And they actually killed Dorn! The same party that just barely lifted a finger to kill Bassilus gets one of it's main tanks taken down by wolves? What?

I guess I could have Viconia and Dorn use Turn Dead on them. (Vampiric = undead, right?) But I should be able to slug it out with them.

Anyway, they're rough little buggers.

* Multi F-M, Dorn, Viconia, Rasaad, Neera, and Imoen, around level 3-4.

Edit: Note: Guess they're not undead after all, since TU did nothing to them.
    Post edited by Lemernis on
    And I'd forgotten what a drama queen Viconia is. Lol. "The light! It burns!"
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Lemeris, they are indeed undead. The reason your Turn Undead didn't work is that they are STRONG undead, and your clerics are too low level to have any hope of turning them.

Also, as you may already know, the problem with vamp wolves is that they can only be damaged by magic weapons (did you have them?), and they have a paralyzing bite.
  • jwenhamjwenham Member Posts: 6
    I am happy with how much I remember about the game from when I played it a dozen years ago, like the ring in the tree trunk at the Friendly Arms Inn, and I like the additions to the UI.
    edited December 2012
    @belgarathmth Ah, okay, makes sense. Yeah, everyone in the party has something enchanted by now, or at least +1 or +2. I was just kind of surprised that my party had just blown through Silke and Bassilus like they were tissue paper, and then these wolves kind of took me unawares at first.

New subject: I had forgotten how nearly overpowered Viconia's (or any cleric's) Command spell is. I know for higher level enemies it won't work (the vampiric wolves saved against it, for example). But early on, it almost makes things too easy.

I'm playing Core Rules, and I'm going to force myself not to raise the XP cap. I haven't played vanilla in I don't know how long. Back when I stopped playing about 4-5 years ago I was running BGT heavily modded with SCS/SCSII installed. The difficulty now in vanilla EE seems to be pretty respectable, I have to say. Although I do look forward to enemies behaving much smarter with SCS:EE.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Sleep, command and hold person are killer spells in the beginning :)
    Yeah, I love those spells.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    edited December 2012
    Vampiric wolves can indeed be a bit of a pain. I got lucky with my first one, Neera dropped an exploding cow on it, and the next we beat the crap out of with +1 longswords and magic missiles while it was chewing on a held Khalid.
  • shawnppickettshawnppickett Member Posts: 25
    Cyricist said:

Speaking of Xzar & Montaron vs Khalid & Jaheira, I picked up the Zhents on the way to the Friendly Arm Inn. Picked up the Harpers, left the inn, and was about halfway through the courtyard to the drawbridge, when Jaheira pipes up about what a dick Xzar is. Calls him "Zhentish." Xzar pretty much throws down right then and there, and calls her and Khalid out on being Harpers.

Then all four of them leave my party and "begin fighting". I put begin fighting in quotation marks, because what followed made me pause the game and laugh to myself for a moment.

Khalid walks towards Xzar. Xzar casts Larloch's Minor Drain on him. Jaheira begins casting what I guess was probably Entangle, since it's what she has memorized.

Then she dies.

Montaron, not even stealthed, walks up and crits her in the face for 12 damage. She dies.

Khalid's morale breaks and he runs away while Montaron and Xzar follow him, slowly stabbing him to death with Monty's short sword and Xzar's dagger.

God I love the Zhentarim. I had literally *just* picked the Harpers up and Xzar somehow had already enraged Jaheira to the point where they had to fight. I've had these four in my party before, and made it all the way through the Nashkel Mines before they came to blows. Hell, I've even had them in my party all the way into the Cloakwood Mines before they even spoke to each other. This time, however... no banter, no interjections, no snide remarks. Just "Goddamn Zhents!" followed by "Meddlesome Harper bitch!" and then a couple dead Harpers, while I laugh maniacally.

Usually I can get the group to Nashkell, at which point I drop them, this time, I was running some errands in Bergerost, and Khalid, of all people, calls Montaron out about being a little less evil, Xzar as I recall, makes his harper remarks and IT IS ON. Jaheira and Khalid seemed to be doing all right, but as I was running a good party (which at this point was myself and Imoen), I stepped in and made sure that they won.
  • ZanmaZanma Member Posts: 10
    Minsc, when given commands quickly: "Less talk, more...Butt kicking for goodness!"
    Oh man, does that ever take me back, and it puts a smile on my face every time. :)
    edited December 2012
    A couple rediscoveries that are not so great:

- sucky pathfinding

- the tedium of compulsive map clearing.

The latter is my own issue, I own that. I don't have to play that way. But for the first playthrough I wanted to have the full experience.
    Ossory
  • TemplarTemplar Member Posts: 21
    edited December 2012
    Pairdice said:

When you click on Shar-Teel, she says, "Men are pathetic."

When you click a place for her to go, she says, "Ok."

When you click in quick succession, she says, "Men are.... Ok."

Dorn has a similar thing happening to him.

When you click on him, he says "I will listen. For now.."

When you click on a place for him to go, he says "Try to keep up.."

When done fast, it sounds like he says "I will try to keep up." :)
    Sophia
  • Lemernis said:

A couple rediscoveries that are not so great:

- sucky pathfinding

The latter is my own issue, I own that. I don't have to play that way. But for the first playthrough I wanted to have the full experience.

Out of curiosity, what party formations have you been using? Baldur's Gate 2 got me into the habit of always using the compact zig-zag formations due to all the dungeon-crawling and city-trawling. It took me a while to realize that if I used the wide wedge formation, I could clear maps a lot faster.
    edited December 2012
    I just use the vertical double column formation

PC Dorn

Viconia Rasaad

Neera Imoen

but the wedge is probably a good idea, thanks.

I just finished clearing all wildness maps outside of Cloakwood, though. So most of the tedium is over with, thankfully.

Back when I played it years ago, it would take me about 3-4 months to complete a BGT game. I'd play whenever I could squeeze in time here and there. And no way did I clear all the maps. I'd go where I needed to pick up this item or that for the various party members. And I'd throw in a few sidequests here and there for fun. But on this first vanilla BG:EE run I want to explore every inch of the game.
    Lemernis said:

I suffer from that habit as well. Oh how I look forward to Clairvoyance.
    Sophia
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    mibbles said:

"So I kicked him in the head til he was dead! Nyahaha!"

How could I have forgotten? I love the bandit soundset. That laugh is just so... Nyahaha!

"Stop picking your nose!"
  • SableRhapsodySableRhapsody Member Posts: 38
    "Stop touching meeeeeeeeee!"

Also, a few sidequests made me smile. I'd forgotten about Prism and Greywolf. And that random guy who sets the poor Bhaalspawn off on a wall o'text rant.
    All those small "special encounters", to use a Fallout term, that are literally everywhere. I'm pretty sure the Larry, Darryl and Darryl one is a cameo of some sort without knowing who it refers to, but tis quite amusing to have a kobold write me his signature... which sells for 60 gold!
  • SophiaSophia Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 581
    Speaking of soundsets, I love the "Me will smash your face" and "Me...Hungry" xD
    But the bandits are my favourite too
    Murphy
    The ogre sounds are great. And the death cry of ogre mages is really well done in particular.
  • SophiaSophia Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 581
    Oh, and I didn't remember the guy asleep in Baldur's gate that says something like "I don't wanna go to school mummy, they call me Stinky!"
    It always makes me laugh out loud xD
  • MurphyMurphy Member Posts: 15
    edited December 2012
    While scarily adventuring towards Friendly Arm Inn... suddenly "'Ello pal!"

Damn that cracks me up.
    SophiaSilverstar
  • TemplarTemplar Member Posts: 21
    edited December 2012
    I had forgotten about Korax!! He is awesome!
    "Korax thinks you look very tasty today.... "
  • OssoryOssory Member Posts: 56

I'm pretty sure the Larry, Darryl and Darryl one is a cameo of some sort without knowing who it refers to, but tis quite amusing to have a kobold write me his signature... which sells for 60 gold!

Yup, it's an allusion to an old American TV series - Newhart (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newhart). There was a trio of brothers (Larry, Darryl and Darryl) who were woodsmen living in a shack in a forest ;)
    BelgarathMTH
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    Greetings, mercenaries! *I* am Silke. Thespian... EXTRAORDINAIRE
    SophiaBelgarathMTH
  • NecroblivionNecroblivion Member Posts: 210
    Most Radiant of Lathander, Kelddath Ormlyr: "Don't touch me; I'm super-important!"

This one is so funny! XD
    SophiaBelgarathMTHMortiannaImperator
  • thedemoninsidethedemoninside Member Posts: 188

Thats not as bad as Rasaad's boots which sell for 12,500 gp lol

I seem to recall mine only selling for like 250 or 500. Was it nerfed?