Skip to content

Transferring Characters and Saves between Mac and iPad

bem809bem809 Member Posts: 26
Currently playing the PC version but I plan to get the Mac and iPad versions the moment they come out. I've read that saves can be transferred between the PC and Mac without a problem.

Is there a way, short of jailbreaking or waiting for iCloud support, to transfer saves between the Mac and iPad versions?

I heard that iCloud support will still be implemented a few weeks after the Mac and iPad versions are released and the wait will be too painful :(

Comments

• WolfheartWolfheart Member Posts: 170
    Itunes file transfer I think...
  • PraemoriorPraemorior Member Posts: 10
    edited December 2012
    I was thinking that could it be possible to start a multiplayer match on the PC (transferring the Single Player save to the right folder), and then joining the game on the iPad and then saving on the iPad? And just play whenever.

E: Aww. Just tried it out, and found out that the client can't save the game. Oh well. Guess we have to wait for the official way.
    Post edited by Praemorior on
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    @TrentOster has tweeted that the dev team uses iFunbox (http://www.i-funbox.com/) to transfer save games. A cloud option is in the works, but it will probably be a while.
    Pibaro
  • FuzzyPuffinFuzzyPuffin Member Posts: 289
    You can use ifunbox, it's what they used to move save files over during testing.
  • wimboswimbos Member Posts: 1
    I'm also wondering about this, and asked Trent Oster. No answer though. Would be great to swich between Platforms while using the same up-to-date savegame through cloud function. Are they planning to make a function like this in a later update?
  • NedzzoNedzzo Member Posts: 19
    I just moved my pc save to my ipad mini using ifunbox and I was able to use the save!
    I made a test save in the ipad first and the files looked a bit different, there was a default.toh in there not there in pc, so I wasn't sure it would work.
    I am at work so can not really play but I did load up my pc save and moved around a tiny bit without crashing. I then saved into a new slot. That slot has a whole bunch more files in it.
    Anyway it loaded!
    One more thing, use ifunbox classic view, that is how you can navigate to Baldur's Gate/Baldur's Gate App/Library/Save. If you use the wizard like "Managing App Data" it justs shows you a document folder for each app and you can't copy whole folders. In the classic view you can just copy the appropriate save folder from your pc and paste in the right place in the ipad.
    StormDragon
    Note that you need to change Baldur.gam to BALDUR.GAM (File in your save) if your going from windows to iPad!
    @Wolfheart Does that cause a problem later if you don't do that? I did not do that and was able to load my windows save on the ipad.
    @Nedzzo How strange,,, I tried throwing over my save over to the ipad and it refused to recognize the save untill I renamed it to all caps ^^* Windows treats BALDUR.GAM the same as baldur.gam but UNIX based systems (among those are Android and MacOSX) treat them as separate files.
    @wolfheart just took a look at mine again. My windows save is all caps already. Win 7 64 bit. So when I copied it, no need to change. What OS did you save come from?
    Win 7 64 bit swedish... ^^* Quicksave and Autosave have all caps (BALDUR.GAM), normal saves have Baldur.gam
    Mine was a normal save. Just created a new normal save called "000000017-Testing Caps" on my pc to double check and the files are all in CAPS. Maybe it is a Swedish thing?
    Just looked up some 1999 saves I had lying around. TOSC saves are "Baldur.GAM" and Pre Expansion saves are "BALDUR.GAM"
    Were you importing BG:EE saves or tyring to import original game saves?
    It was a file created by BG EE.
    wimbos said:

I'm also wondering about this, and asked Trent Oster. No answer though. Would be great to swich between Platforms while using the same up-to-date savegame through cloud function. Are they planning to make a function like this in a later update?

Yes, it's planned.

• StormDragonStormDragon Member Posts: 3
    Works perfect with i-funbox. Thanks!
  • RisingsunRisingsun Member Posts: 99
    What about just dragging a save file into the apps documents sharing file when connected to iTunes?
    I don't know if it would end up in the right place. Ifunbox is free
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    Hi folks - iFunbox or another similar file-manager type app is currently the only way to do this. You should be able to access the user data and library data in there, which is where the saves are stored as per Apple guidelines.

Transferring saves via iCloud or other online storage is definitely something we want to do going forward, but it wasn't a feature that was ready at launch, and I believe we've communicated that previously.
    bem809
    edited December 2012
    @Nathan You guys shouldn't use iCloud, when you get around to implementing sync. Not only would it be limited to Mac/iOS, but it's apparently difficult for developers to implement because the API is full of bugs. My favorite podcast app just ditched it in favor of their own because they were sick of trying to make it work, and now it's faster to boot.
  • misharsenalmisharsenal Member Posts: 30
    I had a question in a similar vein: How do I backup my save file? I'm playing on the ipad, and I wanna backup my save file (and character file) on my Mac desktop somewhere. File Sharing in itunes doesn't show my saved game.

Does the saved game save in the app file itself? (i.e. if my iPad gets lost, and I restore a new iPad, will the save game be there?) - I'm investing heavy time so I need to have a failsafe incase the hardware fails

Thanks
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    @misharaenal
    As iCloud isn't implemented yet it doesn't export your saves automatically.
    To back up your saves, use iFunBox.

There's several detailed instructions in the iPad section of the forums on the procedure.

It works fine, not optimal, but it's absolutely better than nothing until Beamdog finds a permanent in-game solution.
  • misharsenalmisharsenal Member Posts: 30
    Thanks! Sorry, should have seen it!
  • SarthosSarthos Member Posts: 31

I had a question in a similar vein: How do I backup my save file? I'm playing on the ipad, and I wanna backup my save file (and character file) on my Mac desktop somewhere. File Sharing in itunes doesn't show my saved game.

Does the saved game save in the app file itself? (i.e. if my iPad gets lost, and I restore a new iPad, will the save game be there?) - I'm investing heavy time so I need to have a failsafe incase the hardware fails

Thanks

I'm pretty sure the normal iCloud/iTunes backups save your game data. Manually, you would have to use iFunbox. The saves are in the app's Library folder.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    Note: The thread you want to look at for the most up to date information is stickied at the top of this forum.