Skip to content

Your Baldur's Gate 3 scenario's? *Massive Spoiler Alert (Duh)*

So alot of you have been asking for a Baldur's Gate 3, now I wonder how you'd expect the story to look like? You've already had the oppurtunity to ascend to godhood. What more could there be? And how would the game cover for the difference between your choice of ascending as the god of murder, or leaving it to be?

Or would it begin a story with an entire new protagonist?

I'm curious what people expect from a Baldur's Gate 3.

Comments

• baaddarebaaddare Member Posts: 145
    well i kinda look at it as DemiGod status thus we could walk the world as the Greek of Old did
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    I hope it will be totally different thing. No more Bhaalspawn or Charname stuff.
    I just want to go back to Baldur's Gate city with completely new and awesome scenario.
  • DarkovanDarkovan Member Posts: 90

Baldur's Gate III: The Black Hound was to be the sequel to Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn and Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal and was to be the third entry in the Dungeons & Dragons Baldur's Gate series and was to be developed by Black Isle Studios. It was codenamed FR6 and Project Jefferson, this is what it was revealed to be for the public. The game was announced in 2002 and was said to use the 3rd Edition D&D Ruleset. The game was set to use a new 3D Engine based on BioWare's Aurora Engine, itself successor to the Infinity Engine used for the first two Baldur's Gate games.[1]

The game appeared to have been cancelled in 2003, though Interplay made no such announcement, when its engine was announced to have been used for Black Isle Studios Van Buren (Fallout 3). However with Van Buren's cancellation, the Jefferson engine was never used for any game. The game's motto would have been: "You cannot kill guilt".[2]

Rumors on the development of The Black Hound continued up until 2012 upon the announcement of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. The developers, Overhaul Games, revealed that they planned on making Baldur's Gate III, but did not initially reveal whether it would be a continuation of the Black Hound.[3][4][5] Overhaul Games would later clarify that a possible Baldur's Gate III would not be based on the Black Hound and instead be an original story.

So pretty good chance its not that heh.

• ShrimpShrimp Member Posts: 142
    You obviously need a new protagonist. The one from BG1+2 either is a literal god, or has the power to.
    You can't really be a god 's champion either, since that would limit your course of action too much.

So the best way to do it would be... hmm, let's say your old PC achieved godhood, as an evil god of murder. And he's planning something worthy of that title, using mortal followers of course (we can't have you go against a real, 100%-power god). It'd then be up to you to make sure his plans don't come to fruition. Or something. I'm no video game scenarist, for good reasons.
    At a guess, presuming they attempt to continue the story of the current protagonist rather then have us make a new protagonist would be, in my opinion, greater conflict between the protagonist and Cyric.

Damn, its been so long since iv played TOB, does Cyric still have the portfolio of murder?
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I'd rather find a way to keep the PC of BG1/2 as the main character. Declaring a "canonical" result of ToB would cheapen the finale in my eyes.

Unfortunately, the only way for this to work would be to massively de-power the PC at the start of the game, since they're too powerful by the end of ToB. I don't quite remember the brief encounter with Cyric in ToB, but he's the logical antagonist to the PC, regardless of the PC's alignment. And, as the God of Death (right? There are so many similar gods that I mix them up sometimes), he would have the requisite power to nearly kill the PC and allow for the level progression to start over.

A different direction the game could take would be to go all God of War in this setting, letting a good PC start ripping through the evil gods, or an evil PC start fighting the good ones. It would obviously be WILDLY contrary to the actual storyline of Forgotten Realms, which might result in some contract issues, but I'd be interested in pursuing it. God vs. god fights would allow for some pretty exciting scenarios.

The one thing I don't want to see is this Black Hound nonsense. If they want to make an Icewind Dale 3, that's fine. I'd play the hell out of it. But I'll forever associate the Baldur's Gate brand with the Bhaalspawn saga, and if they're going to conclude that with ToB, they should find a new name for a new game.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    Well I think it would be an unpopular idea considering how precious a lot of people can be about canon parties and endings etc, but I think a scenario where BG3 assumes you rejected Godhood in ToB could be a good starting point. It would be a good chance to (sort of) resurrect Bhaal himself and have him as the villain with his essence reforming from the essences from all the dead Bhaalspawn and the absence of someone else (your Bhaalspawn) to channel that Bhaalspawn essence.

It would also be a good chance to wrap up some of the lose ends that were left due to cut or changed content (like the BG2 end cutscene conspirators or the Twisted Rune questline).

If not that then I wouldn't mind a sequel with an all new story, but with a lot of the same characters returning and you playing the Bhaalspawn again. Otherwise if it's a completely new set of characters and story then I'd appreciate a name change because it wouldn't seem like BG3 to me.
  • MillardkillmooreMillardkillmoore Member Posts: 150
    I think that a game set on the Sword Coast with a new protagonist would work best. The devs could include a few references to the original games and maybe a few cameos, but the plot should focus on something besides the Bhaalspawn. That story is over. It's done. It's all wrapped up. There's no need to drag it back out when there are tons of new stories to tell in the same setting.

I also think it should utilize 4th Edition as the ruleset. It's far more balanced and intuitive than 2nd Edition and would translate very well to a videogame adaptation. Plus it lacks THAC0, which is reason enough to replace 2nd Edition.

• PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Honestly?

I don't even care.

And I don't mean that in a nasty way.

I'd like to see a new protagonist, so we can have a character arc from 3-4, plus expansions.
    I'd like to see the campaign marry the sandbox nature of BG1 with the depth of BG2, giving a few close companions and maybe a few less developed ones who only stay with you a time as you build your own Heroic Epic.
    I'd like to see the gameworld expand to the East of the Sword Coast, where no D&D game has ever been before, and focus on new and interesting cultures - whilst still letting you waddle back West and check out Waterdeep and Baldur's Gate.
    I'd like to see a Campaign as cool as the one in Neverwinter Nights 2, coupled with an Epic level campaign that was even remotely as awesome as the one from Mask of the Betrayer.
    I'd like to see characters and relationships develop, friends and enemies, and have to guess which is which - including having enemies hidden in your own party ranks.

But for particular scenarios or plots? I don't care one bit, so long as it serves as the mechanism to guide me along my path to almighty deity status (or near equivalent), and has its share of twists and turns along the way, I'll be content.
    edited December 2012
    Madhax said:

I don't quite remember the brief encounter with Cyric in ToB, but he's the logical antagonist to the PC, regardless of the PC's alignment. And, as the God of Death (right? There are so many similar gods that I mix them up sometimes), he would have the requisite power to nearly kill the PC and allow for the level progression to start over.

There is a DnD book series called The Avatar Series by Scott Ciencin, that covers the time of troubles (the balders gate series starts 20 years after the end of the time of troubles, i think? presumption there...) so basically the book series is prequal to Baulders Gate 1 although the series doesn't follow bhaal in particular he and his attempt to cheat the system by creating the bhaal spawn are mentioned.

Anyway no, cyric isn't the God of death, Kelemvor is, although Cyric was the god of death for a very very short time, Kelemvor took the portfolio back. Cyric has 2 portfolios (is the god of 2 different things) The father of the Gods Ao gave Cyric the portfolio of Murder (bhaals portfolio) making Cyric the god of Murder, not long afterwards Cyric gained Mask's folio of thievery as well. I'm trying real hard not to drop spoilers everywhere and still make sense but that's more or less how it is.

Darkovan said:

Madhax said:

I don't quite remember the brief encounter with Cyric in ToB, but he's the logical antagonist to the PC, regardless of the PC's alignment. And, as the God of Death (right? There are so many similar gods that I mix them up sometimes), he would have the requisite power to nearly kill the PC and allow for the level progression to start over.

There is a DnD book series called The Avatar Series by Scott Ciencin, that covers the time of troubles (the balders gate series starts 20 years after the end of the time of troubles) so basically the book series is prequal to Baulders Gate 1 although the series doesn't follow bhaal in particular he and his attempt to cheat the system by creating the bhaal spawn are mentioned.

Anyway no, cyric isn't the God of death, Kelemvor is, although Cyric was the god of death for a very very short time, Kelemvor took the portfolio back. Cyric has 2 portfolios (is the god of 2 different things) The father of the Gods Ao gave Cyric the portfolio of Murder (bhaals portfolio) making Cyric the god of Murder, not long afterwards Cyric gained Mask's folio of thievery as well. I'm trying real hard not to drop spoilers everywhere and still make sense but that's more or less how it is.

I read the first of that series and thought it was rather low quality, so I didn't bother finishing it. I don't know how bound by canon Beamdog will be, so we'll see. After all, if Cyric is God of Murder, that clashes with the evil ascension ending of ToB...

edited December 2012

Despite his power, during the Time of Troubles, when the gods were forced to walk Faerûn, Bhaal was slain by the upstart mortal Cyric using the avatar of Mask (a sword named "Godsbane"), who then stole Bhaal's divinity and portfolio elements.

However, much like Myrkul – who invested his divine essence in the artifact known as the Crown of Horns – Bhaal was not utterly removed from Faerûn. Part of his divinity remains in the Winding Water, around Boarskyr Bridge where he was slain, his blood having flowed into the river. More importantly, Bhaal foresaw his death and impregnated many mortal women – creating his heirs, the Bhaalspawn. The Bhaalspawn were involved in a series of conflicts along the Sword Coast, with one standing above the others. The tale of the Bhaalspawn is recounted in the Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II video games; in the novelizations of these games, the protagonist is named as Abdel Adrian.

probably should have just done that haha.
    Also i forgot those books existed...

• KougaKouga Member Posts: 83
    Keep the interesting scenarios comming.
  • DaelricDaelric Member Posts: 266
    I'm sorry, I don't wanna see another game named Baldur's Gate. Especially a third game... the story concluded, it was phenomenal so end it there. Of course I'm down with more infinity engine games, just no more Bhaalspawn saga... and quite frankly I'm surprised so many people want it.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    edited December 2012
    I'm not much of a story-writer. I dunno what scenario would be appropriate. Long as it's an isometric RPG that's set in/around the Baldur's Gate region, I'd probably be well pleased. There really should be a new story and protagonist though. By all means, the game could reference the first two games, even use the story as a basis and import details if possible, but I want a new main story and a new main character.
  • State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    If Overhaul wants to make their own infinity engine game and call it Baldur's Gate 3, that's fine, but I hope they don't try to mess with a story that ended pretty definitively.
  • AshendilAshendil Member Posts: 56
    In my opinion there should either be a new infinity game with the style and gameplay of BG (not IWD. BG!) or a re-imagining of ToB.
    I wouldn't mind BG3 being a fleshed-out version of ToB, but apparently ToB will be part of the BG2EE project, so I doubt that will happen.
  • PshlosPshlos Member Posts: 41
    No way man, I want to continue with the same party!! We did not spend 2 games and 2 expansions leveling up and finding items just to have it wiped out. Continue the story. You have a bond with your party after tob. Why waste that just to start with some other player? I want my player, I want minsc and boo and sarevoc and korgan and all these great charecters!!! Why start from scratch???
  • GloktaGlokta Member Posts: 97
    edited December 2012
    I feel Baldur's Gate 3 doesnt need to follow the BG1/2/ToB CHARNAME.
    To be honest, i feel it would be more healthy to start from a new angel rather then pushing the current "Charname's" story forwards.
    The BG universe is so large it has lots of potential to pick a diffrent angel on things, and still weave in alot of story, be it post-ToB or parallell with the BG1 story, its a lot of ways to go. *deep breath* might come back with more if brain allows me...
  • DaelricDaelric Member Posts: 266
    @Pshlos But by the end of the saga, you're party is like (if I remember correctly) like level 30+... By then all of your companions including yourself are legendary heroes. What challenge could possibly face you? It sounds cool but how high of level can D&D players achieve?
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    edited December 2012
    Two ideas:

First, at the beginning a new villain shows up (maybe Cyric) somehow undoes the whole god thing (if the player chose to become a god) (For the storyline of the non Godhood characters I have no ideas on what the villains motives could be.) That's way BG would contain it's "no matter what a character you play, you allways have a reason to go on" attitude, which made imo the BG 1 and 2 so great in the first place.
    That way you would have the motib´vation to gain your godhood back but it would be also kind of a cheap move (and also to much like God of War).

Second, make it a prequel.
    In that case you could play as one of Gorion's party members and help him hunt down Bhaal priests and try to "rescue" the pregnant Ariana (which will obviously fail), have a cameo for Firkraag and in the end (or at some point of the story) you would go rescue Charname.
    Man, that would be a great story.
  • NukeninNukenin Member Posts: 327
    Baldur's Gate III begins with a cheery Imoen greeting CHARNAME as (s)he emerges from a hot morning bath (tastefully attired in suitable towelage, of course). Imoen's all excited about this weird dream she had where CHARNAME was a spawn of Bhaal and she thinks she was as well and—

"Really, Imoen," CHARNAME says, playfully tousling her hair. "We're the progeny of a god who died 120 years ago? You best run along and see what chores ol' Puff-guts has for you. I'm sure Gorion's got yet another dreary tome for me to pore over."

"Maybe it's filled with stories of troll—"

"Get out of here, kid. I need to dress."

"You're no fun."

After Imoen departs, CHARNAME lets the towel slip ever so slightly, revealing a trace of pale blue marking his(her) hip.

"Bhaalspawn, eh? Maybe that'd have been simpler."

*ducks and covers, then rolls under a rock*
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    I just want to get laid in it !!!
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    lordkim said:

I just want to get laid in it !!!

And then have you pregnant wife run aroun the battlefield (which is totally ok because she somehow managed to bind the babies life with a spell to hers)? Uhu.
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    I want to see a prequel. Preferably with Gorion as a joinable NPC :D
  • VissiousVissious Member Posts: 53
    Take a leaf out of the Elder Scrolls series and set it hundreds of years after the resolution of BG2 and viola; you have a near-clean slate to re-imagine Baldurs Gate and the Sword Coast in general and create a new campaign with fresh intrigues and dangers whilst keeping the nostalgia factor for us old-timers. I'd be perfectly happy to except a story that involves becoming the chosen champion of Charname, who has, you will slowly learn, had a very hard time adjusting to Godhood, with all the moral and causal complexities such assumption of power brings. I'd go into further detail about what I'd like to see in that kind of game, but at 3am my brain is refusing to find words and use them properly so I guess I'm going to have to sleep on it ;)

• bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    I want the game to continue the journey of Charname. BG3 starts when the charname rejects godhood. A former priestess of bhaal somehow manages to unleash the bhaalspawn power and resurrects Bhaal himself. Then a war of the gods breakouts between the two lords of murders Bhaal and Cyric. Once again, charname has to save the world. But this time around, he finally kills Bhaal.
  • MordeusMordeus Member Posts: 460
    Dream scenario would be to remove Throne of Bhaal from Baldur's Gate 2 and make it a standalone game. Then double or triple the content of Throne of Bhaal and call it Baldur's Gate 3. Add extra regions on the map inbetween the Bhaalspawn dungeons, expand the land of Tethyr to the west and introduce the metropolis of Darromar as the game's main city (Especially since the starting area of Saradush becomes unavailable after the introductory portion of the expansion).

It would be cool to bring back NPCs that were largely disregarded from Baldur's Gate 2 like Quayle, Garrick, Branwen, Xan, Shar-Teel, Kagain, Eldoth, Yeslick, Skie, Kivan, Alora, etc... as NPCs through the Pocket Plane. Or even characters like Xzar brought back from the dead, pretty funny to necro a necromancer. Why summon people like Nalia for a reunion when you're got some buddies from BG1 who are more worthy?

But that's probably a longshot thanks to the contract.

Another option is to do a bringing story between BG1 and BG2, or BG2 and ToB. But that would have to be sorted out before they release BG2. Bit hard to retroactively add that in.

I would be totally cool if they followed up some of the NPC epilogues from ToB and have it centered around Imoen's prodigy. It's been a few decades after Charname either ascends as a god or leaves the Sword Coast for good. Imoen has since matured and taken up the mantle of Gorion in Candlekeep, where she has made a following for herself among the many wards of Candlekeep for her tall tales of the Bhaalspawn and the Black Throne. The adventure begins when a stranger seeks shelter within Candlekeep's walls, welcomed in by Imoen herself. Grown up among tales of adventure and a nagging curiosity over the identity of the stranger, you decide to hitch a ride in secrecy. Thus taking you far outside Candlekeep's walls to a land you've only heard of in stories.

The adventure takes you north to the land between Baldur's Gate and Watersdeep. With familiar faces of Viconia and Edwina who now reside in the walls of Watersdeep. Not to mention Saemon who frequents the ports of Baldur's Gate and Watersdeep. The identity of the Stranger could be Elminster or even Charname come down from his ascended status in the form of a familiar or avatar with no discernible race or gender as your guide. As for the campaign it could be about anything threatening the Sword Coast really. It doesn't have to be related to the Bhaalspawn saga if you have some key figures from past games reprising their roles. If you can't have an epilogue from the perspective of Charname, then you can most certainly have an epilogue of Baldur's Gate NPCs which arguably are the heart of the franchise.

One scenario could be that while Bhaal might be dead some of his crazy followers are still around enacting some sort of doomsday cult. Afterall the goddesses Loviatar and Talona were followers of Bhaal, and although they eventually ditched Bhaal to hook up with Bane, they are still around and vengeful. I'm not well versed in the lore of the pantheon of Forgotten Realms but it could be possible to have a cult of Loviatar that wants to exact revenge on all those who aided Charname in halting the resurrection of her master. Her MO is pain, so she could just be doing it for the pleasure of it and has fooled her followers in expecting a reward. So her followers have come to tax those responsible in blood. So all surviving allies (Imoen, Viconia, Minsc, Jaheira, Edwina, etc...) or even the non-NPC people of Baldur's Gate have a giant target on their heads. So guided by Imoen, Elminster, an Avatar of Charname or whoever, you set about to dismantle this doomsday cult. The player's motivation could be an assassination attempt on the life of your tutor and mother figure Imoen.