Skip to content

Hotkeys with Bluetooth Keyboard on iPad?

Just curious if the hotkeys in the desktop versions can be accessed with a bluetooth keyboard on the iPad?

Thanks!
sl

Comments

• BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    We won't know until release, but I would imagine it will.
    I
  • Garrison64Garrison64 Member Posts: 72
    I wish this would happen but I'm doubtful they have implimented anything to take advantage of keyboard usage on the iPad. So few people have an iPad keyboard that I can't see them spending development time adding that in. But if it's there I certainly wouldn't complain as we have a Targus Keyboard case on ours and it works extremely well.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    I could imagine that the game might still respond to keyboard presses, as they'd have no reason to suppress them in the code.
    The core code is nearly identical, so would think there's a very good chance of it being possible.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    I'll have to try that out, I have a bluetooth keyboard I barely use!
  • BigityBigity Member Posts: 98
    Doesn't appear to be working.
  • BigityBigity Member Posts: 98
    Any developers who can comment on this? Would be pretty awesome.
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    Hi @Bigity, everyone.

Okay, support isn't in for this just yet, but it's something we can look into. I'll make sure we put it in the system to take a look at in a future patch.

Currently it seems that bluetooth keyboards on the iPad in BG:EE basically only work for typing in names of things, and editing CHARNAME's biography. While I see no problems outright with enabling keyboard hotkeys and making it work, I can't promise anything outright at the moment as it's not me doing the implementation - but I just wanted to make sure you all knew that we heard you. =)
  • Garrison64Garrison64 Member Posts: 72
    Thank you for responding. It would be nice to be able to use the keyboard for more things. I do like the fact that I can type with it at least.
  • scanlinescanline Member Posts: 46
    Yes thanks for responding. It would be gravy at this point, but a cool thing nonetheless. You guys rock.
  • thedjcoderthedjcoder Member Posts: 5
    As an iOS developer I can tell you that Apple does not allow this currently (unless it changed in the last few weeks).
    I know it sucks. There are ways around it for development, I managed to hack it into my engine to use it for debugging but have to comment it out for releases since it is using private API's that are not allowed.
    And to clarify for programmers, you don't get any keyboard events unless an entry field is visible and in focus.
  • davemodavemo Member Posts: 147
    I find Apple's myopia on tablet keyboards quite annoying. They are a stubborn people.
    Agreed, they should just allow it but check in certification that it is not required (which is their point I believe).
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    edited December 2012
    Interesting - I wonder how they got things like the iCade or the 8bitty working? Anyone have any idea what profile they use? Might it be possible to treat the keyboard as a dumb peripheral, or does it have to go through the keyboard API?
    If I remember correctly, there is a peripheral API hardware manufacturers can use but my guess is that there are tons of regulations on them. :)
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Maybe it can be done via Cydia?