Skip to content

Possible way to mod on the iPad

Normally modifying the files of an app on the iPad is impossible, so modding the game would also be impossible.
But there are some apps (one example is PhoneDisk, but there are others) that allow you to mount the iPad as a disk on your computer, and add/modify files, *without* jailbreaking the device.
I have already used this myself to add new MS-DOS executables to the iDOS app, and it worked great! I now have The Lost Vikings on my non-jailbroken iPad =D (for those interested, unfortunatelly iDOS was removed from the AppStore).
Maybe if the override folder be put on the right place, this approach would also allow us to mod BG:EE on the iPad (at least, mods that doesn't need deeper changes on the files)?

Comments

• Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Have the devs even addressed adding mods to iPad version?
  • oskargargasoskargargas Member Posts: 14
    For sure I'll try that. I was thinking about jailbreak + ssh fs access but if it's possible without it'd be even better.
    Could you give us a link to this PhoneDisk app, I can't find it at App Store.

BTW: if devs want to address modding iPad version - there can be great things done with files exchange via iTunes. But this approach would probably need mods packed to some module files and not modifying the core game files, just be read as an override.
  • leomatheusleomatheus Member Posts: 9
    Just google for PhoneDisk, it's the first result. I just checked it, apparently they have a new app called iExplorer that does the same thing, but the PhoneDisk is still available to download. And as I said, I know there is at least one other app that does the same thing, I cited this one because it is the one I use.

And I haven't thought about it but depending on how it is done even with file exchange on iTunes could be possible...
    Thanks, I was looking for PhoneDisk in App Store thinking that it is an iPad app. Waiting for iPad version to try it out.
    You install the app on your PC/Mac, not on your iDevice. And them you can mount the Device as an external disk.
  • MurrayConfederacyMurrayConfederacy Member Posts: 188
    Trent Oster once tweeted that you could do this by using itunes (scroll down on the app screen and you'll see what I mean).
  • prometheanpromethean Member Posts: 9
    Can you confirm if this mounting process will allow you access & modify the *.ini file?
  • BigityBigity Member Posts: 98
    What was actually said is using that method could potentially be a possible way to mod on the iPad. Not that you could.
    In fact this is the same thing as is being discussed in the "how to transfer saves and characters" tread, PhoneDisk does the same thing as ifunbox. In addition to transferring saves, maybe you can apply mods.

Can you confirm if this mounting process will allow you access & modify the *.ini file?

Yes it does. But you can't modify files inside the .app, just the content of sandbox itself - the files/folders to which you have access in Documents folder on Windows version.

• SarthosSarthos Member Posts: 31
    iOS apps are locked down except for the Library and Documents folder. If Beamdog puts an Override folder in one of these locations (and tells the program to look there) we may be able to use mods.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    Please see the first post in the "Known Bugs and Issues" Stickied thread at the top of this forum. In it is a post discussing the exact details (what's known to the community and what's been addressed by the devs in the past) about customizations for the iPad version of BG:EE. There is FAR more information in that thread that I care to post here again.

Please see there for all that the community knows about customizing BG:EE for the iPad.