Skip to content

Levels and stats of named NPC enemies.

Hello.
I realize this might be impossible, but since 2nd Edition AD&d ruleset runs in the background of BG and BG:EE, (despite the numerous people who cheat those rules), all the named NPC enemies (not generic monsters) who attack you and have xp value must have a class and level, too.
I'd be interested to know what they were like after I've killed them or vice versa. Some BG wiki's, for example, state that Gorion is 9th level and Savo is 15th, so unless these are guesses by the wiki makers, there must be some info somewhere on what level the NPC's are in the game background ruleset.

Is there any site that would list these or any way to check it from game data?

Thanks.

Comments

• TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited December 2012
    I don't know if there's any comprehensive list of NPC attributes anywhere, but using the program Near Infinity it's possible to directly look at the in game creature file to see their stats.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    Seconding. I would very much love to learn more about the game's inner designs like this.
  • KoreKore Member Posts: 245
    If you activate CLUAconsole you can use ctrl-Q to recruit any NPC into your party and simply use that to look at their stats.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Most of the time they are 9 9 9 9 9 9 unfortunately
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Elminster is 13 18 14 18 18 17
    Drizzt is 13 20 15 17 17 14
    Gorion is 11 15 12 18 16 14

• TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    Surprised that Elminster doesn't have 20 or more INT, TBH. Also find it funny that, DEX aside, Drizzt's a mini-elminster.
  • tyl998tyl998 Member Posts: 144
    Gorion is only level 9? No wonder he lost to Sav so badly...
  • PorrimaPorrima Member Posts: 3
    TJ_Hooker said:

I don't know if there's any comprehensive list of NPC attributs anywhere, but using the program Near Infinity it's possible to directly look at the in game creature file to see their stats.

I downloaded it and opened the only .key file there was. In it, in the CRE section there's the list of creatures. For example, looking at "ALDETH.CRE" there, 15th from the top, lists his "level" as 5/2/1
    Does someone know what this actually means? Is the first number his class level? And before you ask, no, he isn't a 3-way multiclass.
  • TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    He's a level 521. Aldeth is actually Ao.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    edited December 2012
    Porrima said:

TJ_Hooker said:

I don't know if there's any comprehensive list of NPC attributs anywhere, but using the program Near Infinity it's possible to directly look at the in game creature file to see their stats.

I downloaded it and opened the only .key file there was. In it, in the CRE section there's the list of creatures. For example, looking at "ALDETH.CRE" there, 15th from the top, lists his "level" as 5/2/1
    Does someone know what this actually means? Is the first number his class level? And before you ask, no, he isn't a 3-way multiclass.
    You can also use Shadow Keeper, or the Infinity Explorer (I believe). Never understood those weird triple-class entries, either. :/
    Tome said:

Surprised that Elminster doesn't have 20 or more INT, TBH. Also find it funny that, DEX aside, Drizzt's a mini-elminster.

Yep. :| Those stats were pulled from the Heroes' Lorebook books. Drizzt's ability scores look like they were generated using the "roll a drow!" method from Fiend Folio.

There's actually a formula in another 2nd Edition book with experience values for NPCs with character class levels...drawing a blank as to what one it is, though. I know it's a monster book.
    edited December 2012
    Porrima said:

TJ_Hooker said:

I get a bunch of errors trying to look at a .cre file, but eventually it goes through. I don't see anything like "5/2/1" though. I get things like "Level first class 5", "Level second class 2", "Class FIGHTER - 2". But yeah doesn't really make sense. I'd never actually used Near Infinity to look up stuff like this (or really used it much at all) but I thought I remembered other people saying they did.
  • PorrimaPorrima Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2012
    TJ_Hooker said:

Porrima said:

TJ_Hooker said:

I get a bunch of errors trying to look at a .cre file, but eventually it goes through. I don't see anything like "5/2/1" though. I get things like "Level first class 5", "Level second class 2", "Class FIGHTER - 2". But yeah doesn't really make sense. I'd never actually used Near Infinity to look up stuff like this (or really used it much at all) but I thought I remembered other people saying they did.

To clarify, I opened the chitin.key in Baldur's Gate EXtended Edition \ data \ 00766 and there you can find under the CRE the Level 5/2/1 stuff.

Here's a screenshot of that.

http://i.imgbox.com/aciwSMpk.jpg
    Huh, weird. I did the same thing, and got almost the exact same display, except where yours say "Level 5/2/1", mine says "Level first class 5", and on the line below it, "Level second class 2". Probably due to the errors I was getting while trying to load it.